Confirmed with Link: Keith Jones actually set to be named real life part-time President of Hockey Operations, Danny Briere full-time GM

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's a difference between strategy and tactics. Fletcher didn't set strategy, he wasn't very good at tactics.

Considering his strategy was deeply similar to the dumbass stuff he did in Minnesota, safe to say he did a ton to set strategy. That his pre-cap mentality matches the Flyers' own is why they hired him.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Not going anywhere without star level talent to offset a crack head scouting, development, and coaching staff.

Trades, FA, or a 5th, and 7th overall pick is not a viable path to rebuild for this team. They don’t have the competence in any department to make such a strategy realistic.

They need a Matthews or McDavid to overcome the organizational deficiencies. The ceiling here is not that of an upper echelon club, it’s a playoff bubble team hoping to win a round on the back of Hart, and “effort”.

That they continue to try these half measured attempts, and lazy retools is so strange. Typical Flyer arrogance.

Maybe in another 7 years they will get it when enough people have died off. Here’s to hoping.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
100% there is an old article out there which talks about how close Homer and Clarkie are, they’re like brothers, their families are close, and Homer would run all tough decisions through Clarkie

I think there's actually more than one. I remember the original which really stuck with me as the team began behaving less like it had been, and more like what you'd expect Clarke to do. And I'm positive there's a more recent one affirming and defending the decisions to hire Fletcher.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Read harder.

There's no way you aren't being deliberately obtuse
as i said misleading title. not one thing in there is stated clark did to "Convince" holmgren to hire him. below in bold is all i can find in that piece

“He loves the Flyers, that’s all he cares about. He spoke well of him (Fletcher). You could probably quiz a hundred hockey people and you can’t find one bad word about Chuck. You heard him talk today, he’s smart, he’s got a good way about himself.’’

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher is not smart in the hockey world. He's failed everywhere he's been
He didn't "fail" in Minnesota, 6 straight playoff appearances, 3 seasons of 100+ points, Got to the 2nd rd twice, once more than Dubas.
Couldn't get over the hump, and his attempts to do so through TDL trades backfired.
But that's more success than the "average" GM.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He didn't "fail" in Minnesota, 6 straight playoff appearances, 3 seasons of 100+ points, Got to the 2nd rd twice, once more than Dubas.
Couldn't get over the hump, and his attempts to do so through TDL trades backfired.

He failed in Minnesota and they're years away from recovering from what he did.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

So he failed

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Fletcher and Clarke spoke to each other Tuesday night before the official commencement of this new era in Flyers hockey.

"When we talked, I said, 'Thanks for coming and I think you'll do a great job with us,'" Clarke, the Flyers' senior vice president, said. "And the Flyers need him. I thanked him and of course he was calling to thank me for supporting him."

The Flyers need Fletcher after firing Hextall last week following four-plus years under his guidance as GM. Upper management is yearning to compete at the top level again, where the Flyers haven't been in sometime, or at least weren't getting there quickly enough. They've been without a playoff series victory since 2012 and have missed the postseason three of the last six years.

Clarke has faith that Fletcher can put the Flyers back in that winning echelon of teams. Comcast Spectacor chairman and CEO Dave Scott was attracted by Fletcher's "deep experience" along with his "easy, open management style, leadership style."

It's what Clarke saw in Fletcher during 1993, the characteristics he loved about Cliff Fletcher as a GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad