Confirmed with Link: Keith Jones actually set to be named real life part-time President of Hockey Operations, Danny Briere full-time GM

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Having skills and then being in an organization where those talents are allowed to grow are two different things. IMO Attard has good offensive skills and is developing better defensive ones. He needs to be paired with a partner who can cover his deficiencies. The number of defensemen that can excel at both ends of the ice are few and far between. Even Lidstrom needed a strong defensive partner.

???? Hmm? We are definitely remembering Lidstrom very differently.

Lidstrom was usually paired with guys more known known for being puck movers and offensive generators than for being strong defensive partners. Larry Murphy, Coffey, Rafalski, etc. He won a Norris playing with Bykov, who nobody remembers or has heard of. Dandenault was another guy he won a Norris next to, and that dude wasn't exactly a defensive stalwart either. He kinda sucked, and Lidstrom was probably with him because he could carry him.

Lidstrom was the strong defensive partner on his pairings.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
???? Hmm? We are definitely remembering Lidstrom very differently.

Lidstrom was usually paired with guys more known known for being puck movers and offensive generators than for being strong defensive partners. Larry Murphy, Coffey, Rafalski, etc. He won a Norris playing with Bykov, who nobody remembers or has heard of. Dandenault was another guy he won a Norris next to, and that dude wasn't exactly a defensive stalwart either. He kinda sucked, and Lidstrom was probably with him because he could carry him.

Lidstrom was the strong defensive partner on his pairings.
I don’t recall Rafalski as being an offensive juggernaut.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
He was definitely a great passer. Think part of it was it took until Scott Niedermayer left jersey for him to shine. But he was very good.

That said lindstrom was just nearly perfect at everything. So saying he was the “defensive” or “offensive” partner is some Chuck Fletcher crony logic there. So I wouldn’t sweat the label.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Downright fantastic offensively. Higher career PPG than Niedermayer. Great offensively at ES. Excellent on the PP. Transformative passer. In many ways, he was the exact archetype of offensive Defenseman we’ve learned is even more valuable than was thought in real time. He was even the leading Scoring Defender (and best Defenseman) at an Olympics. Earlier in his career, he was often paired with late-career Stevens and asked to do all of the heavy offensive lifting.

And of course he didn’t even get to the NHL until 26. Nor did he play on a team that wasn’t the early 2000s Robinson/Burns/etc Devils until his Age 34 season. He probably gets another 3-6 years of NHL prime today. Hell, I think he might be the most underrated Skater of the century.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
He was definitely a great passer. Think part of it was it took until Scott Niedermayer left jersey for him to shine. But he was very good.

That said lindstrom was just nearly perfect at everything. So saying he was the “defensive” or “offensive” partner is some Chuck Fletcher crony logic there. So I wouldn’t sweat the label.
Lidstrom-1564/264/878/1142
Rafalski-833/79/436/515
One of these two guys was an offensive juggernaut; the other was not. Not saying that Rafalski was not a good player. His passing was quite good and helped Nick’s offensive game. His speed was also important since it covered when Lidstrom was caught in the offensive end. Living near Detroit during their time together on the ice I was able to watch this pair work their game. They were an ideal pair whose game complimented each other.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Rafalski-833/79/436/515
One of these two guys was an offensive juggernaut; the other was not. Not saying that Rafalski was not a good player. His passing was quite good and helped Nick’s offensive game. His speed was also important since it covered when Lidstrom was caught in the offensive end. Living near Detroit during their time together on the ice I was able to watch this pair work their game. They were an ideal pair whose game complimented each other.
I don’t disagree with the last statement. I don’t think lindstrom being a god tier commander of the ice for half a game every night should be an indictment of rafalski. Raf was a superb offensive defensemen.

And with obvious benefit given to the guy who maintained this through a significantly longer career with Lindstrom, their PPG is 0.12 ppg different.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Downright fantastic offensively. Higher career PPG than Niedermayer. Great offensively at ES. Excellent on the PP. Transformative passer. In many ways, he was the exact archetype of offensive Defenseman we’ve learned is even more valuable than was thought in real time. He was even the leading Scoring Defender (and best Defenseman) at an Olympics. Earlier in his career, he was often paired with late-career Stevens and asked to do all of the heavy offensive lifting.

And of course he didn’t even get to the NHL until 26. Nor did he play on a team that wasn’t the early 2000s Robinson/Burns/etc Devils until his Age 34 season. He probably gets another 3-6 years of NHL prime today. Hell, I think he might be the most underrated Skater of the century.
When the league came out of the 04-05 lockout, I think Brian Campbell and Rafalski were the archetype of the “new” nhl defenseman. Their transition game was something to behold. Other guys had other attributes that held serve so they were names beforehand. But these two guys had a run in that half decade.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Rafalski-833/79/436/515

Lidstrom wasn't a guy who needed to be covered for.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Rafalski-833/79/436/515

IMG_4706.jpeg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
When the league came out of the 04-05 lockout, I think Brian Campbell and Rafalski were the archetype of the “new” nhl defenseman. Their transition game was something to behold. Other guys had other attributes that held serve so they were names beforehand. But these two guys had a run in that half decade.

Those guys had just spent years figuring out how to get pucks and guys through neutral zone traps, so the game pretty much became easy mode

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Rafalski-833/79/436/515
You do know that Rafalski played most of his career with the Devils, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad