Rumor: Karlsson to Lightning (Mod warning in OP - READ IT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No.
Not completely.
Just have under 30 be strictly limited NTC and zero NMC.
That way players have some control by listing say 10 teams they won’t accept a trade to, but they can still be traded.

I have no problem with a NTC that doesn't allow trades period. Basically it gives the team in question the ability to put somebody on waivers and make a deal that way(ie I will give you X if you pick up this player on waivers knowing fully well nobody is going to touch that player unless their is another side deal)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Stamkos is better offensively but Point is the better all-around player. But the fact that's he's that good at only 22 years of age I do agree they should definitely not trade him.

I'm not so sure. Stamkos relied a lot on Kucherov this year, particularly down the stretch, and scored just 12 ES goals (Point had 24). His playmaking has improved, but it hasn't made up the ground he's lost as a shooter. He often just looks completely ineffective at even strength, whereas Point just constantly makes things happen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Serious question for bolts fans, what's the price for Hedman if the rolls are reversed and he's about to walk as a ufa??

Depends. If our options were, A.) Trade Hedman to the highest bidder, or, B.) Lose Hedman and get no assets, while having little to no chance at a playoff run? Hedman's pricetag would be decided by the bidding war, the same as it was when we traded Ben Bishop. We took what we could get because the alternative was worse.

Our options with Hedman now are, A.) Trade him, or, B.) Let him play for our team. ...THAT'S where you can start asking for top players, because you actually have that Option B. Right now, Ottawa doesn't.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Serious question for bolts fans, what's the price for Hedman if the rolls are reversed and he's about to walk as a ufa??

To keep things equal let’s assume that Hedman is also 28, coming off a major ankle injury with three consecutive seasons of declining point totals, and only willing to sign an extension with a few teams, and that the Lightning are in shambles and have no choice but to trade him. The price is going to be the same thing it is for Karlsson: the best available offer, whatever that may turn out to be. We wouldn’t be, and the Senators aren’t, in a position to demand anything as we wouldn’t/they don’t have the leverage of being able to keep the player if the asking price isn’t met. We’d do our best to get a bidding war going but ultimately we’d have to take the best offer, as disappointing as it would probably be.

One difference is that, if I were one of the bidders on Hedman, I’d be willing to go a bit higher for him than I would for Karlsson in the same situation. I’d expect the offensive production for either of them to decline before long, but Hedman has a far superior defensive game that could still potentially be effective into his mid thirties as he’s less reliant on his skating and more on his positioning and reach when playing in the defensive zone. The ankle injury and the size of his next contract would still be major concerns, of course, but I’d feel more confident in Hedman at least being effective defensively than I would with Karlsson.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Depends. If our options were, A.) Trade Hedman to the highest bidder, or, B.) Lose Hedman and get no assets, while having little to no chance at a playoff run? Hedman's pricetag would be decided by the bidding war, the same as it was when we traded Ben Bishop. We took what we could get because the alternative was worse.

Our options with Hedman now are, A.) Trade him, or, B.) Let him play for our team. ...THAT'S where you can start asking for top players, because you actually have that Option B. Right now, Ottawa doesn't.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
3rd team is probably tampa affiliate, rangers

callahan and johnson ?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
honestly if rangers are involved I'm surprised teams don't have these type of tandem relationships more often when one is rebuilding and the other is contending

Reactions: Comparison Ford

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Even better than Stamkos? Or do you mean just in terms of trade value? Not a knock against Point, I love the guy, but is he really that good?

As someone else has said, Stamkos is probably better offensively (although at ES that's debatable) but Point is better defensively and even better at creating opportunities for himself and his teammates to score regardless of who is plopped on his line. Plus his speed/agility is unreal. He seems to have a Turbo mode that he can kick in as well when necessary. :eek:

We would not have gone as far as we did, both in the regular season and the playoffs, without Point. And he was only in his fricking SOPHOMORE season. o_O

So yeah, as much as I love Sergachev and appreciate the pure skill the kid brings at the tender age of 19 and his probably #1D potential down the road, if it comes down to a choice between Point and Sergachev, I'd give up Sergy first.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why Yzerman will be making a trade at 2am EST and who at the NHL office is up at this hour putting trades through?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
And they do have that control without NTCs. If where they play is important to them then they should sign shorter contracts and take the risk of loss of money.

Or sign the big, long deal, get that guaranteed money, but be at the will of your contract holder.

A team should be able to get the best possible return for a player they can. If the league wants all teams to be competitive then you can't allow players to hamstring the bottom teams like this.

The NHLPA will never agree to this. Getting traded is not just playing for a different team - it is moving to an entirely different city or state or even country, often uprooting their families as well. These players are people too.

At the end of the team, both the team and player sign the contract and agree to its terms. They know exactly what they're getting.

I see no problems with the system the way it currently is.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why Yzerman will be making a trade at 2am EST and who at the NHL office is up at this hour putting trades through?

I suspect things have gone quiet for the night. No reason to rush things and stay up late unnecessarily - there are still months before any meaningful hockey starts again.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
As someone else has said, Stamkos is probably better offensively (although at ES that's debatable) but Point is better defensively and even better at creating opportunities for himself and his teammates to score regardless of who is plopped on his line. Plus his speed/agility is unreal. He seems to have a Turbo mode that he can kick in as well when necessary. :eek:

We would not have gone as far as we did, both in the regular season and the playoffs, without Point. And he was only in his fricking SOPHOMORE season. o_O

So yeah, as much as I love Sergachev and appreciate the pure skill the kid brings at the tender age of 19 and his probably #1D potential down the road, if it comes down to a choice between Point and Sergachev, I'd give up Sergy first.

Agreed. Regardless of who we trade for [insert Karlsson or whoever] We can afford to lose Sergachev and still compete. If we lost Point, the difference between him and Johnson is too big of an impact and severely depletes us down the middle. I'd go as far to say he's our most valuable skater with the exception of Hedman. Point doesn't have many bad games whereas Kucherov can disappear and give up on plays - yet still produce. Point, regardless of production is a lighter version of Bergeron. We would suffer trading him away.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
NTCs are part of things. they're bargained to take less money.

if I talked to you today and said 'o.k. i'll give you a job for four years at $30 an hour and you and your wife and kids can settle into your house and the kids can got to school and your wife can meet friends and you can set down roots - or I can give you a job at $33 an hour and at any time over the next five years I can decide to ship you off to any of 30 different cities in North America without your say so on a days notice and your wife can pack up the house say bye to your friends and your kids can change schools.' - which one are you choosing.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
everyone is bashing on dorion but trading karlsson is the right move. Yes it sucks they don't have a 1st round pick and it is his fault but that has nothing to do with making the right move for your franchise

pick 1

a. keep karlsson and let him walk for nothing and colorado doesn't get hughes
b. move karlsson for one of the biggest haul in cap era (still not enough for a player of his ilk but what can you do) and colorado wins lottery, drafts hughes with your pick

answer: don't pick a

he should be bashed for not trading karlsson.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Dear lord so many people underrating Karlsson right now.

Karlsson is going to destroy in Tampa.

The only other time Karlsson played with elite talent he finished first in Olympic scoring while going the whole tournament without being on for a goal against.

He hasn't had another elite offensive talent to play with since Spezza. Their chemistry was so insane that a Spezza points highlight reel could double as a Karlsson points highlight reel.

He has dragged lottery caliber teams to conference finals. Now he is going to have Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Point(?), he's going to absolutely destroy and Tampa will become the Barcelona of hockey.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
How can Karlsson have had 3 consecutive seasons of declining point totals if 3 seasons ago was his highest point total ever? That's two seasons of consecutive point decline, one season in which he was a first team all star and norris nominee.

Good point. I phrased it poorly: I meant that over the last three seasons his point totals have declined from year to year. But you are absolutely correct that it was two year-to-year decreases.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
everyone is bashing on dorion but trading karlsson is the right move. Yes it sucks they don't have a 1st round pick and it is his fault but that has nothing to do with making the right move for your franchise

pick 1

a. keep karlsson and let him walk for nothing and colorado doesn't get hughes
b. move karlsson for one of the biggest haul in cap era (still not enough for a player of his ilk but what can you do) and colorado wins lottery, drafts hughes with your pick

answer: don't pick a

he should be bashed for not trading karlsson.

I think it's more about the circumstances that got him into this situation in the first place that makes people upset.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Dear lord so many people underrating Karlsson right now.

Karlsson is going to destroy in Tampa.

The only other time Karlsson played with elite talent he finished first in Olympic scoring while going the whole tournament without being on for a goal against.

He hasn't had another elite offensive talent to play with since Spezza. Their chemistry was so insane that a Spezza points highlight reel could double as a Karlsson points highlight reel.

He has dragged lottery caliber teams to conference finals. Now he is going to have Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Point(?), he's going to absolutely destroy and Tampa will become the Barcelona of hockey.
There's also the possibility that he doesn't look quite as good when he's one of many elite players rather than carrying a team on his own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad