Proposal: Kaprizov to LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I get what you’re saying but how does height make a person more valuable? Not valid anymore in today’s game.
As someone else said it gives him more reach to stick check, and 8 inches can be a huge difference when it comes to knocking someone off the puck/battling along the boards. Byfield is a great skater for someone of his size too, I've been watching him since his first game in Sudbury.

Reactions: Guitpik and YP44

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
As someone else said it gives him more reach to stick check, and 8 inches can be a huge difference when it comes to knocking someone off the puck/battling along the boards. Byfield is a great skater for someone of his size too, I've been watching him since his first game in Sudbury.
Ok that’s only maybe a good point when referring to two players with comparable skill, like two 4th liners. Not Kaprizov vs Byfield. Is Point less valuable than Kotkaniemi? Kaprizov is built like Crosby, so strong on the puck. Different positions yes, but that was why Marat was hypothetically going back to LA.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Ok that’s only maybe a good point when referring to two players with comparable skill, like two 4th liners. Not Kaprizov vs Byfield. Is Point less valuable than Kotkaniemi? Kaprizov is built like Crosby, so strong on the puck. Different positions yes, but that was why Marat was hypothetically going back to LA.
Byfield and Kaprizov are both projectable top line players so is that not comparable skill? I'm just arguing one has a larger frame that will provide more to all areas of his game. Whether or not small guys are finally making an impact in the league...larger players with similar offensive skill should always be more valuable.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This trade proposal would've been more appropriate two months ago. Since then, LA drafted their own Kirill. Minnesota should look for a trade partner that doesn't already have one.

Last edited:

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Neither? I'm curious whom are you referring to. I'm going to assume Byfield is one as he was part of OP's trade suggestion: He has played 6 NHL games. Fagemo has played none.
None of Kings prospects have shown that they belong in the NHL yet.
10 foot pole, huh. You'd be the only one of 32 real world GMs that wouldn't want either of them.
I can promise you that all real world GMs wouldn't trade Kaprizov, a proven NHL top player, for any of Kings prospects who might as well all be busts.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Looks like Keppel want to cut off the Russian supply chain there: Wild's most exciting player and top 3 prospect in Khusnutdinov in one fell swoop. Don't know dingus about Byfield, but I'd rather the Wild found a way to keep these Russians around St. Paul.
Who do you have Khusnutdinov ahead of out of these players:
Rossi
Boldy
Wallstedt
Lambos
Addison
O'Rourke

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Byfield and Kaprizov are both projectable top line players so is that not comparable skill? I'm just arguing one has a larger frame that will provide more to all areas of his game. Whether or not small guys are finally making an impact in the league...larger players with similar offensive skill should always be more valuable.
My only argument would be I think Kaprizov is past "projectable top line player." He is a top line player.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I’m not even a big Byfield fan/believer but he definitely wouldn’t be included in a trade for Kaprisov.
Absolutely a case of overestimating his value, especially when he doesn’t even have a contract yet

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
No cap space on the Kings. Great player, wrong time.
The bolded part in especially true. Kaprizov would be a player to push us in to a cup winner or take a playoff team to the next level, like say the Avs or Islanders.

The Kings are not ready for this type of player, yet. If the Kings were 2-4 years futher along in this rebuild, it would be a very different convo

Reactions: Choralone

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I can promise you that all real world GMs wouldn't trade Kaprizov, a proven NHL top player, for any of Kings prospects who might as well all be busts.

I wouldn't call Kaprizov a "proven NHL top player." No player is proven after only 55 games, IMO. Players often have great rookie seasons and then "slump" after teams learn to key on them. Even non-rookies can have breakout years in which they look like top players and then not match that production again. See William Karlsson. I'm not saying that that will happen to Kaprizov, but I'd like him to play more games before I consider him for the category that you seem to be putting him into.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I get what you’re saying but how does height make a person more valuable? Not valid anymore in today’s game.

Huh? Taller players don't have a longer reach? That is not more effective in today's stick checking league? An extra four inches on either side of the center of the ice isn't more effective for blocking passing and shooting lanes?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's absolutely valid, has always been valid and will always be valid. WOW

Huh? Taller players don't have a longer reach? That is not more effective in today's stick checking league? An extra four inches on either side of the center of the ice isn't more effective for blocking passing and shooting lanes?

If Byfield never reaches the level Kaprizov is at now, it's irrelevant. It might matter in the future, but let's be honest here, Tyler Myers isn't more coveted than Cale Makar just because he's got a long reach.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Not I’m arguing reach, I’m talking height isn’t everything. When the poster says ‘we don’t want Kaprizov bc he is shorter than Byfield’ height shouldn’t even be a reason.

Reactions: dick341

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Him holding out on Minnesota and big money is a red flag.

This is the flaw right here. If you could pull off this sale then you should quit whatever you're doing now and go work for Goldman Sachs and go Wolf of Wallstreet on the world. There is no reason whatsoever the Kings would be interested in giving up their best prospect in a very strong prospect pool (not to mention add a 1st+top prospect+roster player on TOP of Byfield) to take on this headache and then turn around and have to pay a ridiculous contract ask or have the player flee to Russia in return. If they wouldn't trade Byfield for Eichel, then there is no way they are going to do it for Kaprizov.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What do Kings fans think of something around Fiala and Vilardi?

Fiala wants a long term deal, but for whatever reason GMBG doesn't seem to want to give him that (much to the annoyance of a bunch of Wild fans including myself).

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Not I’m arguing reach, I’m talking height isn’t everything. When the poster says ‘we don’t want Kaprizov bc he is shorter than Byfield’ height shouldn’t even be a reason.

An example of a human body ratio is a person's arm span—the distance from the middle fingertip of the left hand to that of the right hand when stretching out both arms horizontally—to their height. This ratio is approximately a one to one ratio, meaning that a person’s arm span is about equal to their height

Human Body Ratios

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
If Byfield never reaches the level Kaprizov is at now, it's irrelevant. It might matter in the future, but let's be honest here, Tyler Myers isn't more coveted than Cale Makar just because he's got a long reach.

Very true.

What if Kaprizov never comes close to those numbers again and a team ends up paying 8x8 or 9x10 or even 5x5? Which one causes the greater deficit for the Kings?

There are too many variables that will influence what teams are willing to give up for a 24/25 year old with one good season in the NHL under his belt and contract demands.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

switch that thought around. Would Meyers be in the league if he was the same size as Makar?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What do Kings fans think of something around Fiala and Vilardi?

Fiala wants a long term deal, but for whatever reason GMBG doesn't seem to want to give him that (much to the annoyance of a bunch of Wild fans including myself).

I would want to try Vilardi on the wing in LA first. Value is fair though

Reactions: Digitalbooya

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Very true.

What if Kaprizov never comes close to those numbers again and a team ends up paying 8x8 or 9x10 or even 5x5? Which one causes the greater deficit for the Kings?

There are too many variables that will influence what teams are willing to give up for a 24/25 year old with one good season in the NHL under his belt and contract demands.

I'm not advocating for any kind of trade here for either side. My only comment was Byfield being much bigger than Kaprizov only matters if they end up as similar quality players. There are obviously other reasons each team may or may not want to make a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad