Speculation: Kaliyev trade...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Very true, tell me which one plays a complete game and has done so for 16 years?
This is the problem. One guy played a complete game for 16 years and it doesnt matter if he isnt getting the job done anymore even if there are better pp options.

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
It also doesn’t help that every forward we have is left handed and the only defensemen who can run a power play are right handed so there’s no one time opportunity unless you feed it from the left side; Kopitar can do that for Kempe but there’s no one on the second unit to do that for Kaliyev.

Reactions: Schrute farms

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Neither, the role of a 1st line center is to create offense which Kopitar can not handle at all.
In fact half skilled opponent players regularly mop the floor with him.

Kaliev's role is to be a sniper which he has demonstrated even with limited minutes and garbage linemates

Kopitar had 3 PP goals in 56 games in 20-21 and he is a celebrated future hall of famer that is the difference

LOL not even living in reality are you

This is the problem. One guy played a complete game for 16 years and it doesnt matter if he isnt getting the job done anymore even if there are better pp options.

Except there isn't is there?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Interesting how it's all about statistics for justifying why Kaliyev was banished from scoring lines roles, from the same guy who said about a player who failed to score a goal in 14 games playing next to Kopitar and Byfield

"I agree with the decision, I don't care if he doesn't score a goal the rest of the season"

The Kings could open next season with Blake Lizotte as the starting goaltender and it would be defended.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
don't give em any ideas
LA Kings waiting till Stanley Cup has been awarded to announce the signing of their new number one goalie. It is believed to be a 2 year contract
1717873031480.png

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
  1. Very true, tell me which one plays a complete game and has done so for 16 years?
which one is a 22 year old kid who needs help to be deployed and developed properly?

are you saying they NEVER set him up to be that?
im saying his development path is nothing short of bizarre to me, they certainly are NOT setting him up to succeed
Which your own stats show is wrong....in 34 games, he had 4 PPG......and thats literally the only part of his game that is NHL level

false-o-mundo my friend. his worst qualities are his skating and transition game, everything else is relatively good.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Interesting how it's all about statistics for justifying why Kaliyev was banished from scoring lines roles, from the same guy who said about a player who failed to score a goal in 14 games playing next to Kopitar and Byfield

"I agree with the decision, I don't care if he doesn't score a goal the rest of the season"

The Kings could open next season with Blake Lizotte as the starting goaltender and it would be defended.
what the hell are you talking about>? Kaliyev played a total of 4 minutes and 3 seconds with QB and AK, 29 minutes with QB without Kopitar, and 13 minutes with Kopitar no QB.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
what the hell are you talking about>? Kaliyev played a total of 4 minutes and 3 seconds with QB and AK, 29 minutes with QB without Kopitar, and 13 minutes with Kopitar no QB.

I wasn't talking about you, in fact I agree with you. I was talking about the person you were arguing with and his double standards to defend the organizations decisions at all costs. The situation I'm referencing is the bizarre decision to put Alex Turcotte into a scoring line role and the predictable offensive results that came, to which he said.. "I don't care if he doesn't score a goal the rest of the season on the 1st line"

Isn't it interesting how when it comes to defending the organization the goal-posts move greatly on the offensive results a player has to have to play in that role?

That was another huge coaching/management screw up (whoever it was). There was no reason, none at all, how anyone could justify playing Alex Turcotte in a scoring role over Kaliyev. That was the moment I knew Kaliyev was totally done in LA, and Blake's presser at the end of the year confirmed it.

I think it could go either way on what Kaliyev ends up being. I think his ability to shoot the puck is certainly elite, and it wouldn't shock me if he goes elsewhere and scores 30+, but it's also true that sometimes these guys just don't make it as scorers in the NHL, and end up overseas. Those are the two results I expect for Kaliyev, that is why I said the outcomes are likely polarized.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my response.

Last edited:

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
The guy scored at nearly a 20 goal pace playing barely 11 minutes a game and with the worst possible linemates and deployment and had one of the best PP/minute clips in the entire NHL

Sure that pace will even out a bit in more minutes but the guy is absolutely ripe for 25.
Careful, if BLuc hears that he might decide to pay Kaliyev $8.5 million.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
he had 2:13 minutes of PP ice time with 3 PP points through 17 games, 1:36 PPTOI in the following 17 games with 1 point, :51 seconds with no points the following 10 games and a whopping :08 seconds his last 7 games played. hes also the highest on the team for on-ice unblocked shot attempt % and only behind Fialia for total shot attempt %. how can someone be predictable if they never play? :huh:

WTF is that stat? He had the 2nd lowest shooting pct on the team at 6.9 pct. Only Lewis was worse. Lizzo had a higher pct while taking 30 fewer shots too. As for the pp time, he's 2nd unit, how much extra time do you expect, when either the top unit scores or is out there longer than normal. He wasn't scoring on pp 2 even when he was out there as the season went past Nov. He had 1 PP assist in December, and was later taken off the unit for lack of production. He had plenty of toi that month including 3:07 of pp time Dec 30th with 1 SOG in a loss. By mid Jan he then fell out of favor with the coaches and his toi started going down.

Reactions: lumbergh

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
which one is a 22 year old kid who needs help to be deployed and developed properly?

im saying his development path is nothing short of bizarre to me, they certainly are NOT setting him up to succeed

false-o-mundo my friend. his worst qualities are his skating and transition game, everything else is relatively good.

The argument was why one got a 7M extension....not.....was Kaliyev deployed properly, that's a whole other argument....

I think they tried, and when he didn't/couldn't/wouldn't do whatever it was they were asking him, they stopped trying.

You have your read, I have mine, his hustle/motivation is in question, he can shoot the puck, he has semi-good vision if something is right in front of him, he will engage on the wall for a bit, but not consistent, his defensive game is atroicious...

I wasn't talking about you, in fact I agree with you. I was talking about the person you were arguing with and his double standards to defend the organizations decisions at all costs. The situation I'm referencing is the bizarre decision to put Alex Turcotte into a scoring line role and the predictable offensive results that came, to which he said.. "I don't care if he doesn't score a goal the rest of the season on the 1st line"

Isn't it interesting how when it comes to defending the organization the goal-posts move greatly on the offensive results a player has to have to play in that role?

That was another huge coaching/management screw up (whoever it was). There was no reason, none at all, how anyone could justify playing Alex Turcotte in a scoring role over Kaliyev. That was the moment I knew Kaliyev was totally done in LA, and Blake's presser at the end of the year confirmed it.

I think it could go either way on what Kaliyev ends up being. I think his ability to shoot the puck is certainly elite, and it wouldn't shock me if he goes elsewhere and scores 30+, but it's also true that sometimes these guys just don't make it as scorers in the NHL, and end up overseas. Those are the two results I expect for Kaliyev, that is why I said the outcomes are likely polarized.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my response.

Turcotte brought a helluva lot to the 1st line, more than Kaliyev did, not sure why it surprises me, but I never thought you would be the type that says, our 3 best players must play together, etc.

Turcotte was willing to go to the dirty areas, Kaliyev was not, I said what I said about scoring a goal, because I was focused on the process not the end result, if the process is there, the results will come, guess you don't believe that.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The argument was why one got a 7M extension....not.....was Kaliyev deployed properly, that's a whole other argument....

I think they tried, and when he didn't/couldn't/wouldn't do whatever it was they were asking him, they stopped trying.

You have your read, I have mine, his hustle/motivation is in question, he can shoot the puck, he has semi-good vision if something is right in front of him, he will engage on the wall for a bit, but not consistent, his defensive game is atroicious...

Turcotte brought a helluva lot to the 1st line, more than Kaliyev did, not sure why it surprises me, but I never thought you would be the type that says, our 3 best players must play together, etc.

Turcotte was willing to go to the dirty areas, Kaliyev was not, I said what I said about scoring a goal, because I was focused on the process not the end result, if the process is there, the results will come, guess you don't believe that.

The same reason I don't want Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis or Blake Lizotte on the 1st line, there is certainly a role for players like that in the NHL, and Turcotte will be fine in a lesser role that suits his skill set. When it comes to a scoring line, you just can't have players who can't score in a scoring role, what team has a player with such limited offensive production in a 1st line role? Arthur Kaliyev has the type of skill-set that could work in the NHL, it may not work and he may fizzle out and end up overseas, but he still does have a trait (shooting the puck) that is elite.

It still just seems ridiculous that you are criticizing Kaliyev and saying he shouldn't be on a scoring line because he doesn't score, while at the same time heaping praise on someone who scored way less in that role.

And continuing on Kaliyev, I remember his dominant game vs. Dallas, where he scored twice and hit the crossbar on what would have been a hat-trick, watch these goals and tell me how many players in the NHL can shoot the puck like that? There aren't many. And it's very sad to see an organization that has had such a difficult time finding goal-scorers, to not be able to make this work.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The same reason I don't want Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis or Blake Lizotte on the 1st line, there is certainly a role for players like that in the NHL, and Turcotte will be fine in a lesser role that suits his skill set. When it comes to a scoring line, you just can't have players who can't score in a scoring role, what team has a player with such limited offensive production in a 1st line role? Arthur Kaliyev has the type of skill-set that could work in the NHL, it may not work and he may fizzle out and end up overseas, but he still does have a trait (shooting the puck) that is elite.

It still just seems ridiculous that you are criticizing Kaliyev and saying he shouldn't be on a scoring line because he doesn't score, while at the same time heaping praise on Hiller putting a 4th liner who scores way less in that role.

And continuing on Kaliyev, I remember his dominant game vs. Dallas, where he scored twice and hit the crossbar on what would have been a hat-trick, watch these goals and tell me how many players in the NHL can shoot the puck like that? There aren't many. And it's very sad to see an organization that has had such a difficult time finding goal-scorers, to not be able to make this work.

You realize that talk was all about the PP right? Not being on a scoring line, and I don't think he should be a top six, until other facets of his game can get to the NHL level, not because he doesn't score.

Scoring is LITERALLY the only thing he can do, but when it doesn't happen, he has to have the ability to play at a top six level, and he doesn't. Doesn't mean he can't get there, just means he's not there. Turcotte, is on the other end, when he's not scoring, he's hustling, he's defending, he's making plays, if he doesn't score at least he's not a liability, and then you have time to breathe and look at other options (over the course of a year, not a 14 game stretch as a rookie in the NHL)

Turcotte's process, will lead him to scoring, and I don't care if he can't snipe it, he can pot all 50 off his ass ala Hyman, they all count...(not saying Turcotte is, or will ever be, a scorer) I'm saying his processes, are at the NHL level where Kaliyev's is not.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
LA Kings waiting till Stanley Cup has been awarded to announce the signing of their new number one goalie. It is believed to be a 2 year contractView attachment 880575

Won't see him until February at the earliest, he will have to pay his dues down in Ontario. Plus, what if he wins the Vezina and hits a bonus? It would totally mess with the cap for the 2026 season!

Reactions: tny760

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
It seems this won't end well for the Kings...but end up being good for Arty and his new team.
Arty will get a chance and probably 15-25 goals...not have to play defense first, check, cycle and play worry free of making a mistake and getting benched or scratrched. He will probably flourish and even be good defensively, as he has the good habits now...the only thing the Kings taught him. The new team will get Arty at a discount to his future value.

What can the Kings honestly receive? No leverage, the player is going and on a down year. The acquiring GM will say they're taking a risk on Arty. All of them will. So it's going to be another player that needs new scenery...perhaps a semi-bad contract back (A decent player that's overpaid by $ or term) Or like a 3rd rd pick. It would be ideal to package Arty with a #2 pick and another 1st rounder, but oh, the Kings don't have 2nd or 3rd rd picks. It seems the Kings are doing a little better in rds 2-4, Dvorak, Ziemmer, Mania, Slukynsky...and that perhaps the scouting staff can get a good prospect in rd 3. A 2nd rd pick for him would be the best, it would seem...or a top half of the 3rd rd. Or the Jeff Carter special? A 3rd and a 4th? 2 swings? Maybe a team must move a 3-5 million dollar contract, that needs moving, to get a player they really want...as long as that player is under 28 and can actually be an upgrade in the top 9. (or an upgrade to Englund, I suppose) Or? perhaps a 19-21 year old ready to break in...kind of like the Brayden McNabb deal. He was close to making NHL.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
It seems this won't end well for the Kings...but end up being good for Arty and his new team.
Arty will get a chance and probably 15-25 goals...not have to play defense first, check, cycle and play worry free of making a mistake and getting benched or scratrched. He will probably flourish and even be good defensively, as he has the good habits now...the only thing the Kings taught him. The new team will get Arty at a discount to his future value.

What can the Kings honestly receive? No leverage, the player is going and on a down year. The acquiring GM will say they're taking a risk on Arty. All of them will. So it's going to be another player that needs new scenery...perhaps a semi-bad contract back (A decent player that's overpaid by $ or term) Or like a 3rd rd pick. It would be ideal to package Arty with a #2 pick and another 1st rounder, but oh, the Kings don't have 2nd or 3rd rd picks. It seems the Kings are doing a little better in rds 2-4, Dvorak, Ziemmer, Mania, Slukynsky...and that perhaps the scouting staff can get a good prospect in rd 3. A 2nd rd pick for him would be the best, it would seem...or a top half of the 3rd rd. Or the Jeff Carter special? A 3rd and a 4th? 2 swings? Maybe a team must move a 3-5 million dollar contract, that needs moving, to get a player they really want...as long as that player is under 28 and can actually be an upgrade in the top 9. (or an upgrade to Englund, I suppose) Or? perhaps a 19-21 year old ready to break in...kind of like the Brayden McNabb deal. He was close to making NHL.
I was wondering the same thing. The only hope is that the team taking him knows he's capable of more (because his play didn't show otherwise) and the Kings can get a little more value out of him. A 2nd would be awesome, but I feel like a 3rd is probably more likely. I'd also prefer the Kings get a pick rather than another player who their previous team wants to get rid of because of reason x.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
I was wondering the same thing. The only hope is that the team taking him knows he's capable of more (because his play didn't show otherwise) and the Kings can get a little more value out of him. A 2nd would be awesome, but I feel like a 3rd is probably more likely. I'd also prefer the Kings get a pick rather than another player who their previous team wants to get rid of because of reason x.
I would try and sell Kaliyev going off his production when he was used primarily as a 4th liner and had something like 14 goals and really push what he could be if moved up and what he would be on pp. It seems like a team like San Jose or even Utah could put him in a place to succeed. I would try for a 2nd. I think there are Gms out bv there that could get a 2nd, unfortunately Blake isn't one of them.
Maybe you can package 21 + Kaliyev to
Detroit's 15th or Blues 16th.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I would try and sell Kaliyev going off his production when he was used primarily as a 4th liner and had something like 14 goals and really push what he could be if moved up and what he would be on pp. It seems like a team like San Jose or even Utah could put him in a place to succeed. I would try for a 2nd. I think there are Gms out bv there that could get a 2nd, unfortunately Blake isn't one of them.
Maybe you can package 21 + Kaliyev to
Detroit's 15th or Blues 16th.
I'm not sure there's much of a difference in value between 15/16 and the 21st. I'd much rather they package him with the first to drop back a few spots and get more picks. Like say trade with Calgary and get the 28th along with the 41st and the 74th. Not sure if they'd do that, but you stay in the first round and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd. One of the guys you like is probably still there at 28 and now you've got a few more shots later on instead of nothing until the 4th round.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
I'm not sure there's much of a difference in value between 15/16 and the 21st. I'd much rather they package him with the first to drop back a few spots and get more picks. Like say trade with Calgary and get the 28th along with the 41st and the 74th. Not sure if they'd do that, but you stay in the first round and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd. One of the guys you like is probably still there at 28 and now you've got a few more shots later on instead of nothing until the

I'm not sure there's much of a difference in value between 15/16 and the 21st. I'd much rather they package him with the first to drop back a few spots and get more picks. Like say trade with Calgary and get the 28th along with the 41st and the 74th. Not sure if they'd do that, but you stay in the first round and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd. One of the guys you like is probably still there at 28 and now you've got a few more shots later on instead of nothing until the 4th round.
I think there is a difference between 21 and 15, but I am also for moving back and picking up a 2nd + 3rd. Kings needs to start restocking prospect pool

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There was a player (Micheal Ryder) that i personally scouted in the AHL and didn't think much about his vision, but he did manage to eek out a short NHL career.

His problem wss that he had a quick and deadly shot that he got off in a hurry, scoring as many as 30 twice and 35 once, but he was out of the league and "past his prime" by the time he was in his early 30s.

I haven't personally scouted Kaliyev nor followed his career enough to make a definitive opinion, but what i gather from you guys, he's pretty limited and not progressing.

I know we want to blame managemant, but the vast majority of the time it's the player. Often it's lack of vision which is normally a terminal flaw. You can't teach IQ or processing the game. I don't know if this is Kaliyevs fatal flaw, but if it is, well, it is what it is and move on from him.

My interest is to trade for him, obviously at a lower risk price and see if he can turn it around and maybe progress in other aspects. He can't improve his vision, but maybe he starts to utilize his size and maybe add dome speed to his deadly shot. Or not.

I don't what his future looks like, but as a GM, i would have him scouted, analyzed and go from there.

His return is likely a second or a B prospect. That is my opinion and i rather not get into mine is bigger then yours on value.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There was a player (Micheal Rydrr) that i personally scouted him in the AHL and didn't think much about his vision, but he did manage to eek out a short NHL career.

His problem wss that he had a quick and deadly shot yhat he got off in a hurry, scoring as many as 30 twice and 35 once, but he was out of yhe league and "past his prime" by yhe time he was in his early 30s.

I haven't personally scouted Kaliyev nor followed his career enough to make a definitive opinion, but what i gather from you guys, he's pretty limited and not progressing.

I kmow we want to ble managemant, but yhe vast majority of the time it's the player. Often it's lack of vision which is normally a terminal flaw. You can't teach IQ or processing the game. I don't know if this is Kaliyevs fatal flaw, but if it is, well, it is what it is and move on from him.

My interest is to trade for him, obviously at a lower risk price and see if he can turn it around and maybe progress in other aspects. He can't improve his vision, but maybe he starts to utilize his size and maybe add dome speed to his deadly shot. Or not.

I don't what his future looks like, but as a GM, i would have him scouted, analyzed and go from there.

His return is likely a second or a B prospect. That is my opinion and i rather not get into mine is bigger then yours on value.

That is definitely not his problem. He’s got a high-end offensive IQ. Everyone is so focused on his shot but he’s a very good playmaker, in juniors he learned that people would cheat to him and he learned how to use his shot to draw attention to make the plays.

This org just reduces his puck touches to damn near nothing so that has yet to manifest in simlar manner in the NHL but it’s not because he’s stupid, it’s because they refuse to give him that opportunity. Or the argument will be that he’s been on the 2nd PP< butthat’s for like 20 seconds at the very end after he sits for 10 minutes at a time then people go GOD DAMNIT ARTY WHY ARENT YOU SCORING when they try to feed the stone cold player a flopping puck right before a guy escapes the box and wonder why he’s in his own head (and they summarily ignore that on pace vs time he was one of the most productive PP goal scorers in the NHL)

Whoever takes a chance on him is gonna get insane value and make Blake look really stupid. I’m on board with both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad