Speculation: Kaliyev trade...

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
What I’m not happy about is that his alleged trade request was leaked out. It unlikely (but possible) that the Kings did so because I don’t see why they’d do it. IF it came from the AK camp then that would explain his banishment. It’s just speculation on my part simply because I’m trying to come up with reason for him getting so few opportunities. It wouldn’t be the first time an agent leaked things although for such an unestablished player it’d be dumb. Such ‘news’ automatically has a negative impact on trade value, so the Kings would be understandably pissed.

I have no evidence, no sources but it does make the most sense to me.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
It does seem like it will be staus quo unless team misses playoffs. As a Kings fan I really hope something magically changes with the way this organization sees things from top to bottom. I don't see that happening as when the people in charge really believe in what they are doing. I can hope though
what the people in charge believe in is cashing checks. all the rest of " were a contender" "we were so close" etc is all bullshit

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
What I’m not happy about is that his alleged trade request was leaked out. It unlikely (but possible) that the Kings did so because I don’t see why they’d do it. IF it came from the AK camp then that would explain his banishment. It’s just speculation on my part simply because I’m trying to come up with reason for him getting so few opportunities. It wouldn’t be the first time an agent leaked things although for such an unestablished player it’d be dumb. Such ‘news’ automatically has a negative impact on trade value, so the Kings would be understandably pissed.

probably the agent's doing but regardless, banishment is about the dumbest way possible to handle it. if blake was shopping him last season but wasn't getting what he wanted in return, he sure as shit ain't getting it now after all this

woulda been better served just waiving him and eating it

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
probably the agent's doing but regardless, banishment is about the dumbest way possible to handle it. if blake was shopping him last season but wasn't getting what he wanted in return, he sure as shit ain't getting it now after all this

woulda been better served just waiving him and eating it
I agree but it would make both sides of it look stupid. Whatever has got ‘us’ here has helped neither side.

Reactions: tny760

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You guys want to move a young forward (Kaliev). We have too many young defensemen.

It would seem to be a potential match.

Reactions: Schrute farms

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

I mean Blake openly ripped him in the press conference so the front office clearly doesn’t care about preserving his trade value.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What young defenceman are you thinking
I don't know how much potential upside there is in Kaliev. So I wouldn't make any trade proposals.

But Harris, Struble, and Barron, plus Trudeau and Kovacevic, should all be available this summer.

Our D depth chart seems to be:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Engstrom is a wild card who is coming over from Sweden. But I don't think he would be traded for Kaliev. He has top pair ceiling. Then there is Bogdan Koynushkov (spelling?) who is the top 5 in KHL history for ice time and points by 21 in the KHL. I don't think he's available for Kaliev.

We have way too many young dmen.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
I don't know how much potential upside there is in Kaliev. So I wouldn't make any trade proposals.

But Harris, Struble, and Barron, plus Trudeau, should all be available this summer.

Our D depth chart seems to be:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Think there is still amount upside with Kaliyev, think he needs to be in different type of system and and a team that will put him a position to thrive. I could see him being 20 to 25 goal scorer

Reactions: Herby and 26Mats

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Think there is still amount upside with Kaliyev, think he needs to be in different type of system and and a team that will put him a position to thrive. I could see him being 20 to 25 goal scorer

I don't think AK is going to be a 20 goal, 40 point type guy, because I don't think he does enough elsewhere to fit in with that production.

IMO it's much more polarized with his outcome, Kaliyev either becomes a 35 goal, 65 point or more type guy or he ends up playing overseas.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
I don't think AK is going to be a 20 goal, 40 point type guy, because I don't think he does enough elsewhere to fit in with that production.

IMO it's much more polarized with his outcome, Kaliyev either becomes a 35 goal, 65 point or more type guy or he ends up playing overseas.
I just magically hope Blake can pull one off and sell him high, but realistically I think he screwed the pooch on that

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

15/30 wasn't out of the question with shitty deployments, i can't possibly see him doing less than 20/40 outside of this trash system

that is, unless we've broken him enough at this point to create the ceiling

personally i'm gonna start throwing things if we just threw away our zach hyman

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal

i'd wager he could put up 15-20 goals with regular 2nd line PP time pretty easily. put him above the hashmarks on the right side and just f***in feed him the puck. the opposite side of Ovi but essentially the same thing

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
15/30 wasn't out of the question with shitty deployments, i can't possibly see him doing less than 20/40 outside of this trash system

that is, unless we've broken him enough at this point to create the ceiling

personally i'm gonna start throwing things if we just threw away our zach hyman

If he'd put in the work Hyman did, there wouldn't even be a conversation. Hyman knows where to go to be successful and doesn't rely on one thing to carry his game.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
i'd wager he could put up 15-20 goals with regular 2nd line PP time pretty easily. put him above the hashmarks on the right side and just f***in feed him the puck. the opposite side of Ovi but essentially the same thing

They did have him there and he wasn't scoring. 3 pp goals and 1 assist in the first 3 months of the season. In Dec he had 27 SOG , with a less than impressive 3.7 shooting pct. He was putting it either high and wide or right into the goalie. He became so predictable from that one spot , the dmen would step aside and let the goalie face him one on one.

Reactions: lumbergh

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
They did have him there and he wasn't scoring. 3 pp goals and 1 assist in the first 3 months of the season. In Dec he had 27 SOG , with a less than impressive 3.7 shooting pct. He was putting it either high and wide or right into the goalie. He became so predictable from that one spot , the dmen would step aside and let the goalie face him one on one.
he had 2:13 minutes of PP ice time with 3 PP points through 17 games, 1:36 PPTOI in the following 17 games with 1 point, :51 seconds with no points the following 10 games and a whopping :08 seconds his last 7 games played. hes also the highest on the team for on-ice unblocked shot attempt % and only behind Fialia for total shot attempt %. how can someone be predictable if they never play? :huh:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
he had 2:13 minutes of PP ice time with 3 PP points through 17 games, 1:36 PPTOI in the following 17 games with 1 point, :51 seconds with no points the following 10 games and a whopping :08 seconds his last 7 games played. hes also the highest on the team for on-ice unblocked shot attempt % and only behind Fialia for total shot attempt %. how can someone be predictable if they never play? :huh:

Like he said, he WAS there, and he played himself OUT of that spot......not sure if you are saying 3 PP goals in 17 games when you are supposed to be the PP shooter on the team is a good thing, or are you saying they NEVER set him up to be that? Which your own stats show is wrong....in 34 games, he had 4 PPG......and thats literally the only part of his game that is NHL level

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Like he said, he WAS there, and he played himself OUT of that spot......not sure if you are saying 3 PP goals in 17 games when you are supposed to be the PP shooter on the team is a good thing, or are you saying they NEVER set him up to be that? Which your own stats show is wrong....in 34 games, he had 4 PPG......and thats literally the only part of his game that is NHL level
Well.. Kopitar got 9 PP goals in 81 games which makes a goal every 9 games with 3x the pp minutes.
Kaliev got 3 goals in 17 games which is a goal every 5.6 games with 3x less pp minutes.

One of them got a $7 mill extension, the other one got benched.... just saying

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well.. Kopitar got 9 PP goals in 81 games which makes a goal every 9 games with 3x the pp minutes.
Kaliev got 3 goals in 17 games which is a goal every 5.6 games with 3x less pp minutes.

One of them got a $7 mill extension, the other one got benched.... just saying

Very true, tell me which one plays a complete game and has done so for 16 years?

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Very true, tell me which one plays a complete game and has done so for 16 years?
Neither, the role of a 1st line center is to create offense which Kopitar can not handle at all.
In fact half skilled opponent players regularly mop the floor with him.

Kaliev's role is to be a sniper which he has demonstrated even with limited minutes and garbage linemates

Kopitar had 3 PP goals in 56 games in 20-21 and he is a celebrated future hall of famer that is the difference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad