Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
8Mike MathesonD8211516258PQ: Pointe-Claire29
58David SavardD606182424PQ: Saint-Hyacinthe32
21Kaiden GuhleD706162256ALTA: Edmonton21
54Jordan HarrisD563111422MA: Haverhill23
52Justin BarronD48761316NS: Halifax21

The difference in point is huge.....I just hope Hutson can become our next ''Matheson''. It will depend on Matheson next contract. He is having great season in Montreal and will probably ask a lot of money and a long contract. Next year, is probably the best time to trade him.

One thing to keep in mind is that Matheson gets all the opportunities on the PP. He had 28 PP points this season. All the other Habs Ds combined had 1 point...

Perhaps surprisingly, he's not that significantly ahead of Guhle or even Savard when it comes to ES production, especially given their respective usage.

I often hear people say Guhle has limited offensive upside, but I'd be very interested to see how he does with 1st PP icetime. He's a great skater, he moves the puck well, he has good composure and I think he has a harder shot than Matheson. We ranked 27th in PP% this year, what is there to lose?

I think he could be a 50ish points defenseman if we gave him the #1 LD role. I also think we should try running 2Ds on our PP as opposed to the 4 forwards set-up we've been using, so giving Guhle the opportunity doesn't necessarily take away from Matheson's ice time.

That being said, if there's a trade to be made with Matheson that can give us a mid round 1st round draft pick this year, possibly nabbing a falling Catton or a Yakemchuk in exchange... I'd be very comfortable letting him go.

Reactions: Benstheman

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
One thing to keep in mind is that Matheson gets all the opportunities on the PP. He had 28 PP points this season. All the other Habs Ds combined had 1 point...

Perhaps surprisingly, he's not that significantly ahead of Guhle or even Savard when it comes to ES production, especially given their respective usage.

I often hear people say Guhle has limited offensive upside, but I'd be very interested to see how he does with 1st PP icetime. He's a great skater, he moves the puck well, he has good composure and I think he has a harder shot than Matheson. We ranked 27th in PP% this year, what is there to lose?

I think he could be a 50ish points defenseman if we gave him the #1 LD role. I also think we should try running 2Ds on our PP as opposed to the 4 forwards set-up we've been using, so giving Guhle the opportunity doesn't necessarily take away from Matheson's ice time.

That being said, if there's a trade to be made with Matheson that can give us a mid round 1st round draft pick this year, possibly nabbing a falling Catton or a Yakemchuk in exchange... I'd be very comfortable letting him go.
He is Habs best offensive D. Same could be said about every single offensive D getting huge minutes in PP (Maker, Fox, Hughes...). Next year, is going to be a huge year for Ghule and Dach. Can Ghule become one day a #1 D with the Habs or is he a #2-4 with us.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Seems to me it would be simpler to trade Ghule than wasting him on the right. Then alternate between Harris and Hutson on the left. The left would be X-Man, Matheson, Hutson/Harris. On the right, Savard, Mailloux, Kovacevich(waiting for Reinbacher in 2 years). And we could get a good forward in return of Ghule.

Reactions: angusyoung

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Seems to me it would be simpler to trade Ghule than wasting him on the right. Then alternate between Harris and Hutson on the left. The left would be X-Man, Matheson, Hutson/Harris. On the right, Savard, Mailloux, Kovacevich(waiting for Reinbacher in 2 years). And we could get a good forward in return of Ghule.
Simpler to trade the 22 YO top pair D, that clearly has amazing leadership capacity and is a known winner... To keep a 30 YO career bottom pairing D thats due for a big raise ?

Thats a Lopinion if I ever saw one.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
Simpler to trade the 22 YO top pair D, that clearly has amazing leadership capacity and is a known winner... To keep a 30 YO career bottom pairing D thats due for a big raise ?

i would never ever trade guhle to keep matheson, but calling matheson career bottom pairing d is selling him short and gross exaggeration. he never played less than 18 minutes per game, while in florida he played 21+ and this year he was top 10 in scoring, ffs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Guhle has to prove to me that he isn't brittle

1716207378939.png

I wouldn't say no to Charlie McAvoy even if he never plays full seasons.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Getting a concussion from a dirty hit from behind = Brittle ?
I’m unsure how brittle he is as well but he goes flying sometimes so much I remember laughing out loud because he entered and left the tv frame upside down and backwards after he’d been catapulted a few times already… It was so typical of his best Gorges imitations.

Playing his strong side should help but a Suzuki-like center of gravity and awareness would be great.. Maybe just being less reliant on his body, he’s not 250lbs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
8Mike MathesonD8211516258PQ: Pointe-Claire29
58David SavardD606182424PQ: Saint-Hyacinthe32
21Kaiden GuhleD706162256ALTA: Edmonton21
54Jordan HarrisD563111422MA: Haverhill23
52Justin BarronD48761316NS: Halifax21

The difference in point is huge.....I just hope Hutson can become our next ''Matheson''. It will depend on Matheson next contract. He is having great season in Montreal and will probably ask a lot of money and a long contract. Next year, is probably the best time to trade him.

I didn't realize Guhle played the 2nd most games of our D. Xhekaj has suffered more serious injuries than Guhle.

Hopefully the training staff are working with th err m on developing a playing style that will prevent the reoccurring injuries they are each having.

Reactions: angusyoung

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016

Did you research the area from which each player was born?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Regarding Gorges, his alleged Gumby power is a simple physics thing. Taking hits with your body touching the boards transfers the energy onto the one giving the hit and reduces risks of being thrown into the boards on boarding incidents, where injury risks are greater.

There's a way to take a hit and a way you shouldn't. Gorges knew how to take a hit. That's all. Easy peasy.

He was not less injury prone. Just better technique.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
False dillemma because Guhle plays the minutes Matheson would play on the right side. If he's insulating someone, then moving Guhle back to LD insulates the same players. It's Kovacevic and Savard that he "insulates".
For what it’s worth, Lidstrom played three years on the right side early in his career and said it made him a better blueliner in the long run.

Not worried about Ghule but we don’t want him there forever.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I would not trade Guhle on a whim. In fact it would pain me to move him and I would have to be sure that I would love the forward going the other way. But if we go by positioning and need, it makes sense, esp. if Hutson really blossoms next season. I don't want to see Ghule wasted on the right for another season as well.

As far as Matheson, he'll be useful for the time being and that's not someone that would fetch much anyway. And we need some vets in the line-up.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Lol leave it to you to equal Poehling and Guhle. Imagine being wrong on a prospect and then just doubling down.
Dude, you have to know which comments are serious and which aren't.
I mean, he’s no Josh Brook. That is for sure. Nowhere was I equaling them as players, I was having a little fun at the expense of those silly posters.
I know we're usually at odds but it's absolutely hilarious that you called it @Mrb1p :laugh:
I know, I like to make a point to make 'em look like fools.

He's about ot mention Josh Brook to me.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Tourigny loves Guhlewhohe considers a warrior and likely a building blocker a team.

As the Utah head coach, he'd likely be Hughes' best ally to sell a Guhle VS 6th OA trade.

Would Montreal be wise to sacrifice Guhle in order to pick 5th and 6th OA in this year's draft? Very difficult to go wrong picking at least ONE genuine top-6 forward with back-to-back picks that high at the draft, no?

Then again, if we go by Tourigny's praise of Guhle, we also already have a cornerstone on D?

If you could get the 6th OA for Guhle, should you at least consider it?

Trading definite strength at a position of strength to completely reshape your forward group in two to three years when the two prospects you drafted early have matured into NHLers?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Tourigny loves Guhlewhohe considers a warrior and likely a building blocker a team.

As the Utah head coach, he'd likely be Hughes' best ally to sell a Guhle VS 6th OA trade.

Would Montreal be wise to sacrifice Guhle in order to pick 5th and 6th OA in this year's draft? Very difficult to go wrong picking at least ONE genuine top-6 forward with back-to-back picks that high at the draft, no?

Then again, if we go by Tourigny's praise of Guhle, we also already have a cornerstone on D?

If you could get the 6th OA for Guhle, should you at least consider it?

Trading definite strength at a position of strength to completely reshape your forward group in two to three years when the two prospects you drafted early have matured into NHLers?

No, you don't trade one of your best defenseman, who happens to be very young for a mystery box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad