Kadri player discssion thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Has Kadri lost his #1C slot to Bozak merely three games into the season? He is a minus 5 at this point, the worst on the Leafs. Can't see him on the Leafs past the trade deadline, his selfish play and fancy toe drags won't sit well with Babs.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Naz has had a slow start to the season. He doesn't look comfortable out there, appears to be a step behind most players, he's not using his teammates, I've barely seen him lay one big hit, and I constantly see him coasting on the back check. There have been some good plays here and there, but right now he's playing like a 3C, and last night I think he was even worse then that. Characteristically, he's not playing like the Naz we're used to, he's going to have to have a statement game pretty soon in order to regain confidence both in himself and from the fans/coaching staff.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Has Kadri lost his #1C slot to Bozak merely three games into the season? He is a minus 5 at this point, the worst on the Leafs. Can't see him on the Leafs past the trade deadline, his selfish play and fancy toe drags won't sit well with Babs.

Kadri done with the Leafs (E5), will be playing in the KHL this time next year and Sheffield the year after.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Naz has had a slow start to the season. He doesn't look comfortable out there, appears to be a step behind most players, he's not using his teammates, I've barely seen him lay one big hit, and I constantly see him coasting on the back check. There have been some good plays here and there, but right now he's playing like a 3C, and last night I think he was even worse then that. Characteristically, he's not playing like the Naz we're used to, he's going to have to have a statement game pretty soon in order to regain confidence both in himself and from the fans/coaching staff.

And what Kadri is that?

But I agree that it is to early to tell how he handle an increased work load. Give him more time.

CalgaryLeaf*

Kadri hasn't been very good at faceoffs this season...I don't know the exact percentage but he has to be below 48%..Last night at one point he was 3/11...#1 centers take faceoffs late in games and Kadri is a liability.

I'd say Bozak had outplayed Nazzy thus far.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Kadri hasn't been very good at faceoffs this season...I don't know the exact percentage but he has to be below 48%..Last night at one point he was 3/11...#1 centers take faceoffs late in games and Kadri is a liability.

I'd say Bozak had outplayed Nazzy thus far.

Bozak was horrendous the first two games (last night clearly had a better game though), and Kadri is dead on 50% for the season on faceoffs :facepalm:

Need to try a little harder there to bash him if your going to be successful.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
A Babcock style possssion game? I am really curious what that is exactly.

A revolutionary system that no other team plays?

Good teams keep the puck more because they generally have good players. Babcock enjoyed multiple years of Norris, Selke, and a host of other trophies.

Did we seriously think we could get results like Detroit by playing like Detroit without the talent level Detroit has?

Put a puck and the blue line. Line 2 skaters on the goal line. Tell them to go get the puck on the whistle. Both want possession. The faster player is the one that will get it. Every time.

Put a puck in the corner. Line players up at the blue line. Tell them to go get it and hold possession for 5 seconds. The faster and ultimately bigger/more skilled guy is going to keep it. Every time.

My rec team can diagram all the cycling or outlet passes it wants, put us up against the Chicago Blackhawks and we would lose the keep away game every time.

Incidentally, chicago's goal would be to score against us, not win keep away. As a function of their skill though, they would keep the puck about 95% of the time.

If we want to use this season (and the next 3-4) to teach a system, that's fine. Though the merits of doing it with players that won't be here when it's done is questionable.

If you want to win games though, you can't win focusing on keep away against teams with better talent. Put Bozak and Kadri on the blue line and tell them to go win the puck against Crosby and Malkin. Pittsburgh wins every time.

A trap system, limit aggression to limit penalties against and effective power play might be more condusive. If the goal is winning.

I think you're confused with possession game and keep-away. Let me give a clear example between two coaches that emphasize possession play:
Horachek: A coach that instantly made both Toronto's and Florida's possession game a LOT better (there are literally charts that show a spike in possession play after he came). But his style of possession game was flawed. He wanted low quality shots on net. That's what you're refferring to as keep away.

Babcock: A coach that emphasizes possession game with good quality chances. That's possession game.

You're trying to argue that teaching possession game is like teaching keep-away because we don't have any elite players. That's flawed. Possession is also a form of defensive tactic. The more you have the puck, the less the other team has it and the less goals scored coincidentally. Our goal this season is to limit the # of goals we have against, not to finish top-10 in goals scored or whatever. Our team has been at the bottom for shots against and goals against for years. I couldn't really care if our team doesn't score more than 2 goals a game, if our team can emphasize limiting goals against I'm happy.

Oh, and your point about Malkin/Crosby versus Bozak/Kadri? So what if Malkin/Crosby are faster and get the puck first? There's nothing you can do to prevent that. It's what happens after Bozak/Kadri retrieve the puck that's our concern. If Bozak/Kadri can maintain possession of the puck and cause quality chances when they have the puck against Malkin/Crosby then that's what we want. What we don't want is not maintaining possession and losing it back to Malkin/Crosby after 1 quality chance.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Wasn't Kadri the one who won the face-off on Hollands Goal? He would have got the third assist if that was possible.

CalgaryLeaf*

Bozak was horrendous the first two games (last night clearly had a better game though), and Kadri is dead on 50% for the season on faceoffs :facepalm:

Next time you insult & (try to) correct a poster for getting a stat wrong you'd better GET IT RIGHT YOURSELF!...:razz:

Nazzy is at 41.9% faceoffs this season....NOT 50%

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/players/504258/nazem-kadri/#Points%20Per%20Game$Trades=1&GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

Last edited by a moderator:

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA

NHL.com says he's 41.9% on the face-off.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
All this crap about Kadri and Bozak is just that crap, they are both second line centers and until we either trade for one, or promote one from the farm as our #1 center, it doesn't matter, they are both just holding spots for better players and will soon be history.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NHL.com says he's 41.9% on the face-off.

Kadri was 5W - 12L yesterday in the dot for 29.4% and that pulled that FO% down at this point.

Kadri was 6-7 verses the Wings for 46.2% but was the reverse verses the Habs going 7-6 for 53.6 %

On the season its 18W - 25L = 41.86 FO % to date.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Next time you insult & (try to) correct a poster for getting a stat wrong you'd better GET IT RIGHT YOURSELF!...:razz:

Nazzy is at 41.9% faceoffs this season....NOT 50%

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/players/504258/nazem-kadri/#Points%20Per%20Game$Trades=1&GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

lol ok, so the site I got the info from didn't have the stats from yesturdays game included. Just shows how poor your argument is regardless. It's been 3 games.

The faceoff king Bozak himself was under 50% before last night.

CalgaryLeaf*

lol ok, so the site I got the info from didn't have the stats from yesturdays game included. Just shows how poor your argument is regardless. It's been 3 games.

Have you no shame man?..You need to stand down after you've been corrected.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah, people really need to calm down with their premature conclusions. It's been going on since preseason. Hunwick had played 2 games when some made up their mind about him. Bozak was AHL quality for 2 games, and after a third he is suddenly a true top 6 center.

I don't understand this rush, this desperation to make up your mind about anything and everything right away. Let the team play, find their way and get a sample size big enough to not be all about daily form before we draw conclusions, shall we?

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
I think we can all agree that he's been less than impressive so far.
Hopefully he can improve his game a bit, or else he won't be part of the future plans.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Sorry, but the negatives you're describing is exactly the Naz I'm used to, and quite realistically the Nazem Kadri you should expect.

That agitating, draw a penalty, then score on the PP, or score a hattrick against the Islanders, get kissed by Don Cherry a la Dougie Gilmour, that version of Naz seems to be more of the mirage than the reality. That's half a dozen times a season delusion that even fools Kadri into thinking he's as good as Tavares.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, people really need to calm down with their premature conclusions. It's been going on since preseason. Hunwick had played 2 games when some made up their mind about him. Bozak was AHL quality for 2 games, and after a third he is suddenly a true top 6 center.

I don't understand this rush, this desperation to make up your mind about anything and everything right away. Let the team play, find their way and get a sample size big enough to not be all about daily form before we draw conclusions, shall we?

Most of the empirical evidence we have on Kadri is he's an okay player. A little better than Bozak but still not someone you'll remember when the Leafs are good again.

He's tremendously gifted in terms of hands, is light on his feet in a negative way, lacks explosiveness, lacks heads up vision across the entire rink, likes to complicate things as opposed to making efficient plays, doesn't use his teammates well, has an inconsistent motor, doesn't always play the agitating and physical game which helps him engage in the play, work ethic could be better by his own admission. It all just doesn't add up to that great of a player.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
What I find strange is that Kadri had the most success when he was playing 3rd line and none of the coaches have tried playing him there again.

CalgaryLeaf*

Sorry, but the negatives you're describing is exactly the Naz I'm used to, and quite realistically the Nazem Kadri you should expect.

That agitating, draw a penalty, then score on the PP, or score a hattrick against the Islanders, get kissed by Don Cherry a la Dougie Gilmour, that version of Naz seems to be more of the mirage than the reality. That's half a dozen times a season delusion that even fools Kadri into thinking he's as good as Tavares.

I've been a Kadri supporter for the most part until now...After all these years I'm just not seeing any progress going forward...In fact he has digressed since the shortened season. I don't think he is worth a big, long term contract...That could change of course but I doubt it...He's a mid tier 2nd line center or a high end third liner at this stage of his career.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've been a Kadri supporter for the most part until now...After all these years I'm just not seeing any progress going forward...In fact he has digressed since the shortened season. I don't think he is worth a big, long term contract...That could change of course but I doubt it...He's a mid tier 2nd line center or a high end third liner at this stage of his career.

I'm realizing that Kadri is basically a nothing player. He's got some great ingredients but many flaws to his game, makeup, whatever that he likely won't be able to overcome to progress to the next level to be a truly special player. All of his antics, all of the talk about working harder, all that patience from the organization, it's irrelevant. He's an okay little NHLer who thinks a little too highly of himself and you won't remember him when the Leafs are good again. The Bozak/Kadri debate is completely useless. It's like debating between Toskala and Raycroft. Who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad