Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
My God is his foot speed so slow. His top speed is not awful but it takes him forever to get moving. That is probably going to be the thing that keeps him from ever hitting his potential.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Lavi should be showing Kakko nothing but clips of him bodying defenders last night, and saying do that every shift.
He was great doing that last night. Controlled play so well. Controlled the boards in the playoffs which is so hard to do.

Reactions: CLW and bhamill

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Lavi should be showing Kakko nothing but clips of him bodying defenders last night, and saying do that every shift.
He was great doing that last night. Controlled play so well. Controlled the boards in the playoffs which is so hard to do.
I liked that he tried to make a finesse move on his 1 on 1. I know he slipped but I was glad to see him go for it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
My God is his foot speed so slow. His top speed is not awful but it takes him forever to get moving. That is probably going to be the thing that keeps him from ever hitting his potential.
I think his skating looks okay once he gets going. I just see the lack of quick starts. Laf was similar last season in that regard.

Laf is being smart. He is using the extra room in the defensive zone to wind himself up. By the time he hits center ice he has good speed going.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Laf worked on his skating every off season. And yes it did pay off. But don’t discount confidence being the biggest difference. “He finally worked on his skating this off-season” is a false narrative. In pre season people were still screaming bust and saying he looked no different than last year. Then regular season started and Lavi stapled him to Pan’s line. Laf got confidence from it and took off. Suddenly he could do everything faster. Because that’s what confidence does for a young player. He didn’t do a whole lot of work on his skating between pre season and regular season, it was confidence.
That's because it was pre-season and none of the veterans take it seriously. Laf definitely got SOME confidence from being stapled to the 2nd line, but a lot of his confidence stemmed from the fact he was more developed and was able to make himself a quicker skater. He developed separation speed, which someone with his skill set really needs. Same with Kakko, he needs that for his skillset too, but he doesn't have it.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
That's because it was pre-season and none of the veterans take it seriously. Laf definitely got SOME confidence from being stapled to the 2nd line, but a lot of his confidence stemmed from the fact he was more developed and was able to make himself a quicker skater. He developed separation speed, which someone with his skill set really needs. Same with Kakko, he needs that for his skillset too, but he doesn't have it.
The usual suspects were saying "He looks exactly the same! He did NOTHING in the off season!" That has zero to do with the vets. Its not like anyone was saying "He's not scoring, but he looks so much faster." They were literally saying he looks EXACTLY the same. He has improved ALL season as he has gotten more and more confident, AND in the playoffs too. He's still only 22, if he puts in the hard work again this off season, as I am sure he will, and he retains his confidence, which I am sure hopeful he will, there's no reason to think he wont be even better next year.
Now I'm obviously not discounting off season work and development of course. I'm saying that without confidence you can't see all of that improvement. Without that mental component you don't effectively use your physical tools.
And I feel Kakko can do the same. This was a lost year for him. Last night he played with a little confidence and it was noticeable. I'm not saying he is going to be on Laf's level, but he scored 40 points LAST year... If he puts in the work this off season and gets similar leash/treatment to what Laf got this year, 50-60 points as a defensively stalwart possession machine is certainly within reach for him. He needs CONFIDENCE as much as anything else.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
The usual suspects were saying "He looks exactly the same! He did NOTHING in the off season!" That has zero to do with the vets. Its not like anyone was saying "He's not scoring, but he looks so much faster." They were literally saying he looks EXACTLY the same. He has improved ALL season as he has gotten more and more confident, AND in the playoffs too. He's still only 22, if he puts in the hard work again this off season, as I am sure he will, and he retains his confidence, which I am sure hopeful he will, there's no reason to think he wont be even better next year.
Now I'm obviously not discounting off season work and development of course. I'm saying that without confidence you can't see all of that improvement. Without that mental component you don't effectively use your physical tools.
And I feel Kakko can do the same. This was a lost year for him. Last night he played with a little confidence and it was noticeable. I'm not saying he is going to be on Laf's level, but he scored 40 points LAST year... If he puts in the work this off season and gets similar leash/treatment to what Laf got this year, 50-60 points as a defensively stalwart possession machine is certainly within reach for him. He needs CONFIDENCE as much as anything else.
And those suspects were morons for making an analysis off of 3 pre-season games. Laffy's confidence was immensely influenced by the improvement in his physical skill set. He was making plays from game 1 of the season. Dude his confidence continue to grow after staying on that line? Yes, but the base was set because of the physical development.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Either make him get faster or get rid of him.

feel bad for him. His skating is sub-NHL level and is the sole reason he can't hack it.

How did no scouts realize this?
Probably put all their chips down on his cycle and possession game and hoped it would override the speed of a sloth

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Farewell tour
This. I like Kakko. I wish he would succeed here. He absolutely has strong parts of his game…
He just doesn’t have the swagger to be a real offensive threat imo… the best he’ll ever top out as if he hits his stride is good passenger…. Not to say that’s not useful, but I highly doubt this team is going to pay him 3.5-3.75 a season when Berard is ready, Othmann not far off, neither is chmelar imo….
All would be vying for a 3rd line wing spot come training camp, all making 8-900k

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Kakko had a stinker today. I've said before he'd look better on the Panthers where he'd get support for his cycle game but he can't hide behind 'his game' anymore.

Anyway, this is a kid that has some decisions and growing up to do this summer. He needs to do everything necessary to fix his skating. Build it up from scratch like Laffy did. Hips, reflexes, basic motor skills/mobility, stride analysis, skates and blade profile, physical strength etc etc etc.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Yeah, I’m done with him. Maybe he puts it together somewhere else, but they gift wrapped the Top RW spot for him and he’s never seized it.

There’s a glut of young, talented wingers coming up and I’m eager to see what they do in his spot.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Zero interest in this lazy ass clown on the team next year. Learn to skate or get the f*** out. Sick of his pathetic lack of burst. He doesn’t seem to give one single f*** 99.9% of shifts.

I’d rather have Marcel Hossa. At least that loser was already a bust when he got here.

BTW, remember when there was a rumor when this bum may have gone 1st overall?

So much f***ing funnier in hindsight.

Can’t wait for his Selke trophy (in NHL 25 after his garbage attributes are jacked up by the people huffing hopium).

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If people want to judge KK on his career or even this season I understand but I would not judge him based on this one playoff series. That would be a mistake imo. Few Rangers are looking good in this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad