Rumor: Juuse Saros Signs 8 Year / $7.74 AAV Contract

Trade Saros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I assume they look to move Askarov to obtain a young center. The draft rumors should've been an indication of that I guess.
I don't think they will be able to do that, just like last draft. We're going to have Saros and Askarov both... right up until the next Expansion Draft anyway.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't think they will be able to do that, just like last draft. We're going to have Saros and Askarov both... right up until the next Expansion Draft anyway.
Won't be able to if they maintain a ridiculous ask. If Saros is the long term answer, then Askarov needs to be a priority to move. He may not give us back an elite 1 C, but he will return assets and it would be bad management to let him sit in Milwaukee, develop into a starter, and then get nothing for him.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Won't be able to if they maintain a ridiculous ask. If Saros is the long term answer, then Askarov needs to be a priority to move. He may not give us back an elite 1 C, but he will return assets and it would be bad management to let him sit in Milwaukee, develop into a starter, and then get nothing for him.
I don't understand who you mean by "they" or what you mean by "a ridiculous ask"? Let's see if Askarov is even going to be an NHL goalie at all before we worry about how much money he might make 3 or 4 years from now, if that's what you mean? :dunno:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't understand who you mean by "they" or what you mean by "a ridiculous ask"? Let's see if Askarov is even going to be an NHL goalie at all before we worry about how much money he might make 3 or 4 years from now, if that's what you mean? :dunno:
Ridiculous ask of a return. Should've clarified. The thing about trading him in the next 12 months is you don't care if he's an NHL goalie. You care about what he returns that can contribute to the team. If Saros is locked up I perspective on Askarov changes completely.

It's like having 2 truck payments and 1 driver. There's just no reason for it when the house is falling apart and bills are stacking up

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
What assets do you expect we could actually return for Askarov? At the draft it was reported we were looking to pair him with at least #15...so essentially at least 2 Askarovs...to move into the top 5 of the draft? I don't think he has significant 1 for 1 value. Let's take the proposed deal from the Devils fans for Saros and apply it to Askarov, Alexander Holtz and a 1st likely to be in the 20+ range. I don't think that moves the needle at all in terms of our rebuild/roster progression.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
What assets do you expect we could actually return for Askarov? At the draft it was reported we were looking to pair him with at least #15...so essentially at least 2 Askarovs...to move into the top 5 of the draft? I don't think he has significant 1 for 1 value. Let's take the proposed deal from the Devils fans for Saros and apply it to Askarov, Alexander Holtz and a 1st likely to be in the 20+ range. I don't think that moves the needle at all in terms of our rebuild/roster progression.
I honestly have no idea. If there isn't a deal there then that's fine, but I think there is a chasm between what Preds would accept and what we should accept for him. It's easy to look at a guy like Mercer and say "he's more of the same", but the reality is he's still a better asset in a position of need than an AHL goalie who may never play for us if Saros signs a long term deal. I am not saying we give the guy away for scraps, but he is one of our most valuable assets that is currently offering us nothing of value on a bad team. If Saros doesn't sign long term than I don't think we should trade him, but the second Saros is signed what is Askarov going to contribute to the team that is trying to rebuild?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I honestly have no idea. If there isn't a deal there then that's fine, but I think there is a chasm between what Preds would accept and what we should accept for him. It's easy to look at a guy like Mercer and say "he's more of the same", but the reality is he's still a better asset in a position of need than an AHL goalie who may never play for us if Saros signs a long term deal. I am not saying we give the guy away for scraps, but he is one of our most valuable assets that is currently offering us nothing of value on a bad team. If Saros doesn't sign long term than I don't think we should trade him, but the second Saros is signed what is Askarov going to contribute to the team that is trying to rebuild?
I don't think Mercer would be on the table. He's already playing a regular role on that roster and put up strong numbers last year after a decent rookie season. They're not going to trade a player in that role for a goalie that might become a #1 in 2-3 seasons.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't think Mercer would be on the table. He's already playing a regular role on that roster and put up strong numbers last year after a decent rookie season. They're not going to trade a player in that role for a goalie that might become a #1 in 2-3 seasons.
I wonder if adding to Askarov isn't the better option to find something more palatable. We have a slough of draft picks including 3 2nds next year. Maybe I am buying into Askarov's value to much it just seems Askarov plus is enough to move the needle to add a young asset.

I think my overarching theme in the scenario of signing Saros would be that holding Askarov is a luxury I don't think a bad team can afford to hold.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, the kinds of players we'll get offered are guys who are in that range of "maybes" like our own bundle of later 1st rounders, L'Heureux, Schaeffer, Svechkov, Tomasino, Fabbro, Tolvanen... or guys like Holtz who maybe were picked higher but have had their stock drop significantly. I just don't see those guys playing regular roles on our roster or helping us out above the bundles of such guys we've already got on hand. We have a bunch of those guys already. At all positions if you want to include how well our later-picked D have been progressing. We don't have any other goalie prospect at remotely that level.

I would NOT offer Kemell, Wood, or Molendyk for a goalie prospect if the tables were reversed. And even those 3 guys might not be real difference-makers. So I'm not expecting any other teams out there to pay an even higher price for Askarov. It's just not something that happens in the NHL. Goalies are too difficult to project.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Askarov doesn't have as much value as some think, the draft was a pretty good indicator of that. Him combined with a first wasn't even valued enough to move up in the draft let alone actually obtain a player of any substance.

At this point he's basically an insurance policy in case Saros falls apart or gets injured.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Askarov is a great prospect but many seem to think goalies are "voodoo" so he likely doesnt hold much trade value in the eyes of people around here.

Expansion is coming. Keep both for now and if Askarov is ready expose Saros. If Askarov isnt then we still have Saros. The "problem" of keeping Askarov and extending Saros seems self resolving.

Likewise, if trading Askarov gets this team what it needs (a future 1C or 1RHD) then consider the trade but he likely isnt getting that until he gets NHL experience under his belt so trade talk now is premature. Him paired at the draft with atleast 1 of our 1st round picks couldnt get us what we wanted at this draft. That likely hasnt changed

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If we re-sign Saros I think it’s only a matter of time before we trade Askarov. It may take a while to find the right deal but I think someone will eventually be interested in him enough to give us a good return provided he stays on his developmental trajectory. All it takes is one team willing to take the risk on him and I just can’t see us holding on to him as a backup for 4-5 years before he gets his shot as a starter.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Just keep them both unless a team offers something as insane as the Jeannot deal. There is no pressing need to trade either of them.
Askarov is 21 and under contract. Saros is also under contract another year as well.

If Askarov gets to the point he's ready to just step in like Saros did with Rinne and using Saros as the measuring stick, the world will have aged 4, maybe 5, years. At which point Saros is pushing his mid 30s. A couple of seasons of phasing Askarov in and Saros is on the verge of retirement.

I don't see the urgency or need to blow up this area of potential depth for now and the future. Well, unless the goal is to race even harder to the bottom with San Jose.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Askarov is 21 and under contract. Saros is also under contract another year as well.

If Askarov gets to the point he's ready to just step in like Saros did with Rinne and using Saros as the measuring stick, the world will have aged 4, maybe 5, years. At which point Saros is pushing his mid 30s. A couple of seasons of phasing Askarov in and Saros is on the verge of retirement.

I don't see the urgency or need to blow up this area of potential depth for now and the future. Well, unless the goal is to race even harder to the bottom with San Jose.
Exactly, while Askarov may be further in his development than other goalies, it's not unusual for them to take a few years to even make the NHL. We're in a perfect spot right now with our goalies imo, if someone wants to pay a premium that's a different story.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Hey guys, Leaf fan in peace.

Are the majority of you hoping for a retool on the fly? If not and you’re hoping to rebuild completely please ignore. Same goes if you’re dead set on keeping Saros. I’m a simple man and my offer will reflect that.

Nylander with deal agreed upon with Nashville

For

Saros at 50% retention

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Are the majority of you hoping for a retool on the fly? If not and you’re hoping to rebuild completely please ignore. Same goes if you’re dead set on keeping Saros. I’m a simple man and my offer will reflect that.

For

Saros at 50% retention
1) i cant see Nylander agreeing to extend on a team at the bottom of the NHL that doesnt have a starting goaltender.
2) nylander's extension plus all the dead cap for next season (joey, saros, ekholm retention plus buyouts) would put the team near 67 million in cap with 10 players signed and several holes in their lineup. Biggest issues being RHD, goalie, and Center - novak, carrier, and barrie are ufas. Fabbro, parssinen, and tomasino RFAs. So we become cap strapped with limited ability to improve the roster for a couple years.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

For

Saros at 50% retention
Maybe player wise, but no on the retention. I honestly don't see our owners being willing to eat another couple of million of dead dollars on top of the several million they are already eating due to Duchene, Joey and Turris.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The retention is a total non-starter. We're already burning 2/3 retentions and I can't see GMBT painting himself into a corner like that at the start of his tenure and given where this team is in the standings.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Other than the cost to the owners I don’t see a problem with retention. Both Johansen and Saros would be off it at the end of next season and I don’t see who else we would need to retain on before then. However, while I think it is pretty good value wise it just doesn’t make sense for us. Trading Saros puts us firmly in rebuild territory (barring Askarov being a beast immediately) and then Nylander is in his 30s by the time we are competing again.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Nylander is definitely not a fit. He's going to be looking for a much bigger contract than we're in a position to offer. When we talk about trading Saros *maybe* for a future #1C, the key there is that we have that player for a decade or more, including cheaper ELC years, and in his prime. Trotz is not going to sign a player like Nylander for 8 years or more money than Josi is making. It's simply a non-starter. Because Nylander will be able to get 8x$10M+ on the open market, easily, and he definitely cannot get that here.

So I think even mentioning Nylander is pointless from a contractual standpoint. Even before noting that I wouldn't trade Saros for him.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Other than the cost to the owners I don’t see a problem with retention. Both Johansen and Saros would be off it at the end of next season and I don’t see who else we would need to retain on before then. However, while I think it is pretty good value wise it just doesn’t make sense for us. Trading Saros puts us firmly in rebuild territory (barring Askarov being a beast immediately) and then Nylander is in his 30s by the time we are competing again.
I see it like a football coach using timeouts. I don't think a GM wants to paint himself in a corner by burning them all. It's true that they expire eventually, but not having any may be seen as too big of a handicap.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Reactions: Bringer of Jollity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad