Rumor: Juuse Saros Signs 8 Year / $7.74 AAV Contract

Trade Saros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I mean you would be an idiot to not listen to offers but that doesn't make it likely. I don't think listening to offers is mutually exclusive with planning to re-sign him. If someone offers you a crazy deal you take it but Trotz has also made clear if you want Saros it is going to involve giving up assets you don't want to give up not just your excess parts.

Reactions: Kat Predator

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Hey guys, Leaf fan in peace.

Are the majority of you hoping for a retool on the fly? If not and you’re hoping to rebuild completely please ignore. Same goes if you’re dead set on keeping Saros. I’m a simple man and my offer will reflect that.

Nylander with deal agreed upon with Nashville

For

Saros at 50% retention

*Offers you a seat and offers a coffee* Tempting. What is the offer WITHOUT retention?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't know if this thread title is really appropriate? It should be more like "Should The Preds Trade a Goalie (Saros/Askarov)?"

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Take Klingberg and Samsonov. Send Schenner back.

So the deal you are offering is this:

To Toronto

Saros
Schenn

To Nashville

Nylander (with deal in place)
I. Samsonov (one year deal)
Klingberg (one year deal)

Am I correct?

if my calculator is right would give the Preds about 32k of cap space before a Lanky trade. A deal like this would give Toronto a 1 yr cap gap of 6.9mil

Last edited:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Ok, there are a ton of "if"s here, not least of which whether Nylander would actually be on the table for Saros. But IF Nylander would sign an extension to play in Nashville I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the idea of retention. Yes the dead cap would be supremely effed for next season but if you look at next year as the last retool season that would be a rare opportunity to acquire a sure fire offensive difference maker, and the Saros retention would be off the books after that anyway. The numbers are one thing but having watched Nylander play I don't think we've had a pure offensive talent of that level other than probably Kariya (not counting a guy like Peter Forsberg who was obviously past prime years).

On its face this doesn't appear realistic but I'm not so sure I'd dismiss it based on the salary retained.

Reactions: BigFatCat999

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
So the deal you are offering is this:

To Toronto

Saros
Schenn

To Nashville

Nylander (with deal in place)
I. Samsonov (one year deal)
Klingberg (one year deal)

Am I correct?

if my calculator is right would give the Preds about 32k of cap space before a Lanky trade. A deal like this would give Toronto a 1 yr cap gap of 6.9mil
If you're so worried about the cap, why not throw Schenn in?:naughty: Regardless, the base is there I think. Semantics like that can be worked out.

Nylander is my favorite player on the team. I would be devastated to lose him. (I would much rather say goodbye to Mitch) This is a deal made if the writing was on the wall.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
You guys talking about Nylander... please tell me what you think his pre-arranged contract settlement in Nashville is going to be. Because without that, there is nothing to talk about.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If you're so worried about the cap, why not throw Schenn in?:naughty: Regardless, the base is there I think. Semantics like that can be worked out.

Nylander is my favorite player on the team. I would be devastated to lose him. (I would much rather say goodbye to Mitch) This is a deal made if the writing was on the wall.
I was asking if that's what you were offering that.

You guys talking about Nylander... please tell me what you think his pre-arranged contract settlement in Nashville is going to be. Because without that, there is nothing to talk about.

It's going to be 9-10m

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It's going to be 9-10m
So Nylander as a > 1ppg winger is going to get 8x9-10M $, and that's it? I honestly think people are underestimating (dramatically) the impact of the rising Cap that is in the pipeline. Nylander can get 8x$12M... if he wants it. He might trade some $$$ off vs. competitive status. That's up to him. We're not going to land anywhere that measures on a "competitive status" scale.

Nylander should command 8x$12M for us to sign. And to me, that's just a non-starter, given our situation. He's a Forsberg-level player. But another one of those isn't going to change anything here.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
First of all, Nylander has a 10 team no trade list .... so that has to get addressed. Then there is expected AAV in an escalating cap environment. $10mil doesn't crack the top 10 current forward cap hits ... before the expected jump in cap ceiling expected in each of the next few seasons. If he continues on his current path this season he hits the market as an almost ppg player for three consecutive seasons (80 pts in 81 games in 2021-22, 87 in 82 last season, 25 in 16 so far this) ... 30+ goals in each if he continues at this season's pace.

8x$12 is a minimum considering some of the wild deals seen lately.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah there is no 9-10 for Nylander, its going to be 10+ all day long. Increasing cap plus the season he is having, someone is going to give 80-90 million pretty easily.

Problem for us is timing, if it was 2 years later it might be a good signing but we would end up wasting most of his best years trying to get the rest of the team around him.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
So Nylander as a > 1ppg winger is going to get 8x9-10M $, and that's it? I honestly think people are underestimating (dramatically) the impact of the rising Cap that is in the pipeline. Nylander can get 8x$12M... if he wants it. He might trade some $$$ off vs. competitive status. That's up to him. We're not going to land anywhere that measures on a "competitive status" scale.

Nylander should command 8x$12M for us to sign. And to me, that's just a non-starter, given our situation. He's a Forsberg-level player. But another one of those isn't going to change anything here.
i'm comfortable saying Nylander is a level above Forsberg. A lot of that is based on eye test but his production has also been more consistent albeit with higher level talent around him. To my eye he's a smoother and more creative player. He's also more durable and younger.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

A few quick points here:
-Nylander camp is rumoured to be asking for 10x8
-while I’m sure that Willy truly does want to win, I believe that the lifestyle that Nashville could offer would be intriguing for him
-18 months ago I would have agreed that he’s a FF level player. Watching him game in - game out, he has elevated his game, especially in the post season. (Last 3 playoffs 25 GP 12G 25 P)
-This season he plain and simply takes games over. He is consistently the best player on the ice

I’m not trying to sell you on him, if he’s not what you guys need, you obviously know better than me. I just think that you’re undervaluing his value and impact

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
A few quick points here:
-Nylander camp is rumoured to be asking for 10x8
-while I’m sure that Willy truly does want to win, I believe that the lifestyle that Nashville could offer would be intriguing for him
-18 months ago I would have agreed that he’s a FF level player. Watching him game in - game out, he has elevated his game, especially in the post season. (Last 3 playoffs 25 GP 12G 25 P)
-This season he plain and simply takes games over. He is consistently the best player on the ice

I’m not trying to sell you on him, if he’s not what you guys need, you obviously know better than me. I just think that you’re undervaluing his value and impact
I think the ceiling on the contract the Preds hand to anybody who isn't McDavid/Draisatl level is around... $9.058M... i.e. just below what Josi makes. Or at least, I would have said that in the Poile days. It is possible that Trotz would blow up that roadblock. But he has also spoken against big long-term contracts too, so I'm thinking Nylander at his age still isn't the guy he uses the detonator on? :dunno:

I just think Nylander is worth more like $12M AAV on the open market. Which I don't believe the Preds would dish out.

I think most of my Forsberg vs. Nylander comments are based more on "over-rating" Forsberg than on "under-rating" Nylander. I honestly think Forsberg has the skillset to be a 100-pt level player in the NHL... just... injuries and lack of team support for that have held him back. So anytime I make that comparison, it's actually because I think Forsberg is a lot better than most people probably think he is. It's not a knock on Nylander, who I agree has also pushed himself up to that level.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the ceiling on the contract the Preds hand to anybody who isn't McDavid/Draisatl level is around... $9.058M... i.e. just below what Josi makes. Or at least, I would have said that in the Poile days. It is possible that Trotz would blow up that roadblock. But he has also spoken against big long-term contracts too, so I'm thinking Nylander at his age still isn't the guy he uses the detonator on? :dunno:

I just think Nylander is worth more like $12M AAV on the open market. Which I don't believe the Preds would dish out.

I think most of my Forsberg vs. Nylander comments are based more on "over-rating" Forsberg than on "under-rating" Nylander. I honestly think Forsberg has the skillset to be a 100-pt level player in the NHL... just... injuries and lack of team support for that have held him back. So anytime I make that comparison, it's actually because I think Forsberg is a lot better than most people probably think he is. It's not a knock on Nylander, who I agree has also pushed himself up to that level.
If Nylander was a center he would absolutely break that line, but with him being a winger I don't know.

Nylander is one of those guys its hard to pin because its a contract year and he is around way more talent than he will have here. I also question the guy getting paid and then mailing it in, but I pretty much have that concern with anyone you basically give a retirement contract too.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If Nylander was a center he would absolutely break that line, but with him being a winger I don't know.

Nylander is one of those guys its hard to pin because its a contract year and he is around way more talent than he will have here. I also question the guy getting paid and then mailing it in, but I pretty much have that concern with anyone you basically give a retirement contract too.
Which then still comes back to why I think that's not the player they make the Saros trade for. If - big "IF" - they ever trade Saros, it's not going to be for a guy who is going on a "retirement contract", unless it's a megastar (which wouldn't be available anyway). Otherwise, it's for a younger player with that potential... or... just keep Saros who is a similar level "star" in his own right, at the goaltending position.

If Nylander hits UFA status, I'd be open to considering what kind of contract we could offer him that would make sense. Purely as a UFA signing. Since the magnitude of player we really need is probably never going to hit that stage of availability. But I'm not trading our best assets for him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Which then still comes back to why I think that's not the player they make the Saros trade for. If - big "IF" - they ever trade Saros, it's not going to be for a guy who is going on a "retirement contract", unless it's a megastar (which wouldn't be available anyway). Otherwise, it's for a younger player with that potential... or... just keep Saros who is a similar level "star" in his own right, at the goaltending position.

If Nylander hits UFA status, I'd be open to considering what kind of contract we could offer him that would make sense. Purely as a UFA signing. Since the magnitude of player we really need is probably never going to hit that stage of availability. But I'm not trading our best assets for him.
Well trading/signing Nylander says to me you want to get this transition done quick and want to win, but at the same time trading Saros says to me that Trotz is looking for a deeper more long term rebuild where you struggle for a couple of years until Askarov is ready.

It's mainly why I think the trade doesn't work, the players are in opposition of what that means for the franchise in the next 1-2 years and what they are wanting to do.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well trading/signing Nylander says to me you want to get this transition done quick and want to win, but at the same time trading Saros says to me that Trotz is looking for a deeper more long term rebuild where you struggle for a couple of years until Askarov is ready.

It's mainly why I think the trade doesn't work, the players are in opposition of what that means for the franchise in the next 1-2 years and what they are wanting to do.
To me, "signing" (NOT trading for!) Nylander is more of a "target of opportunity". Which if you project to having the Cap space available to allocate to, and if you don't think you'll ever be able to get anybody better... could still make sense. But my own Cap projections say to me we won't have that space available... although it would definitely change a lot if we made a couple other TDL trades or didn't sign Novak/Carrier. So it's still the kind of thing that COULD open up... :dunno:

Just I wouldn't spend a lot of time pondering that until some of those other dominoes fell in place first...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad