Trade Saros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I'm in if Nylander takes a "tax free state discount" of 9-10m
He's getting more expensive by the game.

You guys could use some "snot" too I think. Could I interest you in a slightly used (up) Ryan Reaves. We'll throw him in for free since you're such a nice guy.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
He's getting more expensive by the game.

You guys could use some "snot" too I think. Could I interest you in a slightly used (up) Ryan Reaves. We'll throw him in for free since you're such a nice guy.

We have plenty of that. The secondary deal as is, is just fine by me. A childish greedy part of me wants a pick swap of a 6th for a 5th, BUT as is, I'd go for it.

Reactions: namttebih

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Nah you can keep that pile of uselessness. I can't believe anyone was willing to give him a contract let alone for multiple years.
It happened right after finally clearing Simmonds' contract too. Most of it can be buried, but it was still a pretty baffling signing.

We have plenty of that. The secondary deal as is, is just fine by me. A childish greedy part of me wants a pick swap of a 6th for a 5th, BUT as is, I'd go for it.
Pleasure doing business with you.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
If the Preds got Nylander for 10 for 8 years, I’d be ecstatic. He immediately becomes the best forward on the roster and could end up being the best forward in Preds history.

Reactions: Scoresberg

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
If the Preds got Nylander for 10 for 8 years, I’d be ecstatic. He immediately becomes the best forward on the roster and could end up being the best forward in Preds history.

So if we got him for well below market value then you'd be ecstatic? $10mil per for him is a non-starter in negotiations in today's marketplace. It's like wanting to buy an arena beer for 50 cents .... the time for that pricing is long gone.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Unless Nylander is all about the money like his dad was, I don't see any reason he'd sign a long-term deal here. If he's a "chip off the old block," we're not getting him for less than probably ~$11M-$12M per anyway.

With respect to a trade, moving Saros and bringing in Nylander are basically contradictory moves from a roster building standpoint. Nylander will be 30+ by the time we're ready to start competing again.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
For some reason, I've watched the Leafs quite a bit the last couple of years and often I've thought that Nylander has been their best player.

By no means is he a leader type but he's one of the best offensive talents in the league. Yes, he has a good supporting cast in Toronto but he can create a ton of offense by himself as well.

As for his next deal, he will get somewhere between 10.5-11, I think. He will cool off a bit during the year and hype will cool off also.

We have almost $28 mil in cap space for next year, so we could easily throw a boat load at him and sign him during the summer. Ultimately, I guess it depends on how do you see this team faring next year - is it going to be more of the same or are we heading into next year with Celebrini as our 1C?

For example, this is a team that could really cause some trouble:

Forsberg - Celebrini - Nylander
Nyquist - O'Reilly - Kemell
Pärssinen - Novak - Evangelista
Afanasyev - Sissons - Tomasino

Josi - Fabbro
McDonagh - Carrier
Molendyk - Schenn

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If we wanted Nyquist I think the move is hope he hits free agency this summer and sign him there. I'm not sure we'd be a team he is interested in but that is the case in a trade and sign too. However, it doesn't make much sense to trade Saros for him because then we are gambling on Askarov being NHL ready immediately.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If we wanted Nyquist I think the move is hope he hits free agency this summer and sign him there. I'm not sure we'd be a team he is interested in but that is the case in a trade and sign too. However, it doesn't make much sense to trade Saros for him because then we are gambling on Askarov being NHL ready immediately.

Was Rinne ready in his rookie year? Askarov is tracking just like Rinne with his stats and skill and scouting minus being jacked from the mugging.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Necas has been treated as more of a winger going off of faceoff data. He has the 7th most faceoffs on carolina (and an ghastly win%). I dont think that he should be a target

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Necas has been treated as more of a winger going off of faceoff data. He has the 7th most faceoffs on carolina (and an ghastly win%). I dont think that he should be a target
I'd say the opposite - Necas is exactly the type of player we should be targeting instead of low-1sts and random prospects.

Yeah, he's a winger but a pretty damn good one.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'd say the opposite - Necas is exactly the type of player we should be targeting instead of low-1sts and random prospects.

Yeah, he's a winger but a pretty damn good one.
Necas is 25. Our top C is 33. We dont have a 2C and now we dont have a starting G cause we just traded him. By the time we sort things out Necas is late 20s at best. Need to be going for position of need

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

I know a wing upgrade now may make sense but considering all our prospect pool is wingers and our currernt center core and rhd group situation and pipelines you would have to think that is where it would actually make sense for Nashville to make a move. We dont have a 2C now. We dont have a future 1C unless Svechkov overachieves. We dont have a 1RHD now. We dont have a future 1RHD. We have alot of promising wingers as well as Forsberg and Nyquist working as 1st line quality now.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It's interesting because, outside of "untouchables" like Josi and Forsberg, Saros is the only asset that would get us a significant, young, possibly cost controlled piece coming back (outside of our large collection of picks).

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth

I know a wing upgrade now may make sense but considering all our prospect pool is wingers and our currernt center core and rhd group situation and pipelines you would have to think that is where it would actually make sense for Nashville to make a move. We dont have a 2C now. We dont have a future 1C unless Svechkov overachieves. We dont have a 1RHD now. We dont have a future 1RHD. We have alot of promising wingers as well as Forsberg and Nyquist working as 1st line quality now.
This sounds encouraging, however time is not on Trotz' side. Saros will be an upcoming UFA next year with a big ticket on his mind. Of course, we could always end up keeping him but do we want to invest $8.5 mil in a smaller, then-30-year-old goalie?

If he trades him now, teams can get two playoff runs out of him at $5 mil. I think his value might significantly decrease after this year.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I agree that I think this is Saros's peak value and I get the feeling now that we do not plan on re-signing Saros so it's most likely either now or the offseason he moves. I think moving him now also would have some benefits for us because it lets us get a longer look at Lankinen to see if we want to re-sign him as a tandem with Askarov for next season too.

As far as return goes while I would like a C or RD back I think Necas would be a great return. He just turned 25 and has produced really well while playing with just ok centers. Pair him with Novak and I think you could really get things rolling.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This sounds encouraging, however time is not on Trotz' side. Saros will be an upcoming UFA next year with a big ticket on his mind. Of course, we could always end up keeping him but do we want to invest $8.5 mil in a smaller, then-30-year-old goalie?

If he trades him now, teams can get two playoff runs out of him at $5 mil. I think his value might significantly decrease after this year.
Agreed. Only reason id take necas in a trade, is if you think you have a better chance of flipping him for what you really want. I dont think we have the answer to our near term 2C in house.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I agree that I think this is Saros's peak value and I get the feeling now that we do not plan on re-signing Saros so it's most likely either now or the offseason he moves. I think moving him now also would have some benefits for us because it lets us get a longer look at Lankinen to see if we want to re-sign him as a tandem with Askarov for next season too.

As far as return goes while I would like a C or RD back I think Necas would be a great return. He just turned 25 and has produced really well while playing with just ok centers. Pair him with Novak and I think you could really get things rolling.
Hm, I just think based on last season that Trotz is sort of perma-willing to "shake things up", but I certainly hope this doesn't represent Saros' peak value... he's having such a poor season by his standards that it shouldn't be. There isn't much else that Trotz could do that would have much impact on the team's overall trajectory, however... so who knows. I'm more doubtful about any other teams in the league actually stepping up with reasonable offers, so to me that's probably what's ultimately going to keep Saros here. There's just no point in trading him for "peanuts".

Necas is better than a top-10 draft pick, IMO. Granted, he's going to be in line for a huge new RFA contract, which might be something of a drag on his value. He'll probably make more money than Saros will, and Saros has been our best player the last few seasons before this one. But I still just don't see Carolina making that move. They already have a goalie, they have no real Cap issues projectable, they need scoring not a goalie. I don't know where that rumor came from, but it doesn't sound like a credible one to me. NHL GMs do weird things sometimes, though. :dunno:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Hm, I just think based on last season that Trotz is sort of perma-willing to "shake things up", but I certainly hope this doesn't represent Saros' peak value... he's having such a poor season by his standards that it shouldn't be. There isn't much else that Trotz could do that would have much impact on the team's overall trajectory, however... so who knows. I'm more doubtful about any other teams in the league actually stepping up with reasonable offers, so to me that's probably what's ultimately going to keep Saros here. There's just no point in trading him for "peanuts".

Necas is better than a top-10 draft pick, IMO. Granted, he's going to be in line for a huge new RFA contract, which might be something of a drag on his value. He'll probably make more money than Saros will, and Saros has been our best player the last few seasons before this one. But I still just don't see Carolina making that move. They already have a goalie, they have no real Cap issues projectable, they need scoring not a goalie. I don't know where that rumor came from, but it doesn't sound like a credible one to me. NHL GMs do weird things sometimes, though. :dunno:
With Saros value you're hoping he still holds his Vezina level value and teams view his drop in stats being the result of the team around him versus him dropping off. Either way I don't think he will be able to up his value from that perspective between now and the offseason and if you trade for him now you get this playoff run out of him too.

The Necas "rumor" seemingly came from Friedman just spitballing on potential options but I do think there is some rationale there. Kochetkov isn't really cementing himself and Raanta is about to turn 35. Necas is going to command a pretty big contract and they have a few other guys they are having to re-sign (Teravainen, Pesce, Skjei, Jarvis) so Necas might be the odd man out. It's not a slam dunk obvious deal but I could see it making sense.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
It seems like LAK, CAR, and NJD are the only real options for Saros that make any sense. My stack rank on returns:
  1. Byfield
  2. Necas
  3. Dawson Mercer
  4. LAK D+F+picks (Spence/Clarke+Turcotte/Kaliyev/etc)
I don't think I see the right assets besides those combos to pull the trigger. Wildcard is Toronto offering Knies+a ton of other assets, but I still don't think that would do it for me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It seems like LAK, CAR, and NJD are the only real options for Saros that make any sense. My stack rank on returns:
  1. Byfield
  2. Necas
  3. Dawson Mercer
  4. LAK D+F+picks (Spence/Clarke+Turcotte/Kaliyev/etc)
I don't think I see the right assets besides those combos to pull the trigger. Wildcard is Toronto offering Knies+a ton of other assets, but I still don't think that would do it for me.
I would be truly shocked if Byfield is ever even remotely considered. He seems to finally be putting it together over there, and LA kind of needs that what with how badly the PLD experiment has gone.
I WARNED YE! DIDN'T I WARN YE?!

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I would be truly shocked if Byfield is ever even remotely considered. He seems to finally be putting it together over there, and LA kind of needs that what with how badly the PLD experiment has gone.
I WARNED YE! DIDN'T I WARN YE?!
100%, I highly doubt it happens. That's my #1 preference but a massive longshot at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad