Rumor: Juuse Saros Signs 8 Year / $7.74 AAV Contract

Trade Saros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
And the Preds really shouldn't go 7 years on him anyway. That would be 8 years from now. Even if we kept Saros, Askarov should be the starter in no more than 3 years, 4 tops.
Which is why I think we ultimately move Saros even if the return is underwhelming. We aren’t winning anything in the short term and saving those dollars for free agency/taking on a bigger contract sure seems like the smarter move. There is of course risk Askarov doesn’t pan out but I prefer that risk to paying a goalie $7M+ a year to be part of a tandem or having to shove Askarov into a backup role while he’s ready for the big time.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
And the Preds really shouldn't go 7 years on him anyway. That would be 8 years from now. Even if we kept Saros, Askarov should be the starter in no more than 3 years, 4 tops.
I really don't think it matters. Give Saros a good market contract, let him perform well for those 3-4 years, and he's still going to be a marketable asset, or shelter us from a worse Expansion loss. I think it's silly to use Askarov as any kind of reason to sell low on Saros. Our hand isn't being forced right now, and Saros has earned that kind of contract term.

What we have to avoid, however, is including NMC/NTC clauses in the contract. That's more important than the term.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Over at main boards, they are speculating that the Devils and the Flames have an agreement in place regarding Markstrom. So that probably wipes away one very potential buyer in the Saros sweepstakes.

And considering Carolina and Edmonton may not need goaltending after all, that essentially leaves two teams. The Kings and the Leafs.

I echo with @Armourboy and think that Trotz will eventually budge and will deal Saros for futures. I'm thinking it'll be something along the lines of:

1st + Spence + Kaliyev

from the Kings. Which I can't say I love, but I'm also having a tough time seeing the path forward with 9 million Saros between the pipes.
I think 1st + Spence + Kaliyev for Saros is fair hockey trade for both teams.
The only issue with this trade is that Kings do not have salary cap space for Saros.
To pay more for retention is not going to be fair trade for LA anymore unless retention price is reasonable.
Which one of these Kinga players would be interesting to your team?
Roy or Danault.
Obviously adding one of these players in trade for Saros will require Predators to add some serious value as well.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
The only issue with this trade is that Kings do not have salary cap space for Saros.
To pay more for retention is not going to be fair trade for LA anymore unless retention price is reasonable.
Roy or Danault.
Obviously adding one of these players in trade for Saros will require Predators to add some serious value as well.

Value doesn't work...Kaliyev doesn't pan out to anything special

Spence maybe tops out as a poor man's Carrier

To Nash: PLD, Clarke, Turcotte, 2024 1st

to LAK: Fabbro, Saros

Clarke, Turcotte, 1st for Saros

Fabbro for PLD

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Roy or Danault.
I really dont want the frustration of watching another young 22 year old waiver eligible winger that already cant get into every game on his current team have to deal with Bruno's decisions

Reactions: Kat Predator

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Value doesn't work...Kaliyev doesn't pan out to anything special

Spence maybe tops out as a poor man's Carrier

To Nash: PLD, Clarke, Turcotte, 2024 1st

to LAK: Fabbro, Saros

Clarke, Turcotte, 1st for Saros

Fabbro for PLD
If you think Saros has this much value you can keep him or to trade him to some other team.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I really don't think it matters. Give Saros a good market contract, let him perform well for those 3-4 years, and he's still going to be a marketable asset, or shelter us from a worse Expansion loss. I think it's silly to use Askarov as any kind of reason to sell low on Saros. Our hand isn't being forced right now, and Saros has earned that kind of contract term.

What we have to avoid, however, is including NMC/NTC clauses in the contract. That's more important than the term.
As good as he has been, Saros hasn't won a playoff series. He has earned consideration for another contract but not a mega deal, especially seeing how inconsistent he has been this year.

I would argue we aren't selling Saros low. The market for goalies at the TDL is usually nonexistent, but this year multiple teams could use one. This is a perfect storm to get good value for him

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

That rests on the assumption that Saros bounces back to his usual numbers. Most goalies peak in their late 20s and we're almost definitely going to be icing a subpar defensive team around him. If he continues to play at the level he has this season he won't be a marketable asset and we are stuck with him for the duration. I can see both sides of it but as things stand now I'd prefer the risk associated with elevating Askarov without a backup option while getting some assets back to the risk of being stuck with a massively overpaid goalie on a rebuilding team. Going into the season I felt the opposite but with Saros struggling, Askarov continuing to develop well, and the overall team situation I lean towards moving on from Saros.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think folks are fooling themselves (or letting the usual pre-TDL buzz fool them at least) if they think there is any kind of a market right now for Saros. If New Jersey is out, then I don't believe you're going to see any other teams ponying up for a #1 goalie. But I guess we'll see within the next 3 weeks.
:popcorn:

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I think folks are fooling themselves (or letting the usual pre-TDL buzz fool them at least) if they think there is any kind of a market right now for Saros. If New Jersey is out, then I don't believe you're going to see any other teams ponying up for a #1 goalie. But I guess we'll see within the next 3 weeks.
:popcorn:

I think there is a market...just not anywhere in the realm of what we've been saying it would take.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022

You're making a really big assumption if you think Saros at 33ish years old with a big extension will be a marketable asset.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Time for the blockbuster. My dream trade
Saros
Josi. 3rd best C on the Team. (Tell him you'll Mcdonagh him to the press box if he's actually intent on not waiving)
Schenn
Novak/Glass
Vanderclok?

Coming back
Cambell
Nurse
Ekholm
Draisaitl

Throw in Carrier for their 2nd

Get GMBT to get Korn

• Haha
Reactions: PredsV82

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Saros
Josi. 3rd best C on the Team. (Tell him you'll Mcdonagh him to the press box if he's actually intent on not waiving)
Schenn
Novak/Glass
Vanderclok?

Coming back
Cambell
Nurse
Ekholm
Draisaitl

Get GMBT to get Korn
I don't even know where to start with this. It simultaneously would be laughed out of the room by EDM and solve none of NSH's problems.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Saros
Schenn
Novak/Glass
Vanderclok?

Coming back
Cambell
Nurse
Ekholm
Draisaitl

Get GMBT to get Korn
I don't think Draisaitl's getting traded for anything we have or have ever had. Their whole team is built around having two superstar forwards, to the point that their secondary scoring is extremely lacking. That and they're pretty happy with Bouchard as a scoring blueliner, want more Ekholm rather than less, and Skinner is actually playing acceptably nowadays.

If we're to move Novak in lieu of signing him, tho, they might be a good target.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
What you're looking for if you're trading Saros?

And do you plan to try to contend, retool or rebuild during the next few years?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I watched some of the Hurricanes game last night and paid particular attention to Necas. Had never really focused on him much but I liked his game and think he fits well with what Brunette is trying to do. Hes really quick in transition and reads the play well. Not sure he is realistically an option but if he is I’m even more convinced he’d be a really good return for Saros.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
What you're looking for if you're trading Saros?

And do you plan to try to contend, retool or rebuild during the next few years?
Biggest organizational positional needs are center and rhd. Those need to be addressed either directly or indirectky via this trade. Askarov is looking pretty legit in the AHL so it depends on how good Trotz feels about him. I guess it all depends on Trotz' gameplan. If he has some sort of plan to get a 2C then aiming for a winger like Necas might make sense. If he thinks we need to try and rebuild through the draft, high end prospects in areas of need is the way to go. He may just try to get the best assets possible and trade those for what he wants

Reactions: Murzu

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
One bonus of having a huge pool of picks is that we can use them to sweeten any deal. If a team is hesitant to give an elite prospect and a 1st for Saros, I'd throw in a 3rd, for example.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
One bonus of having a huge pool of picks is that we can use them to sweeten any deal. If a team is hesitant to give an elite prospect and a 1st for Saros, I'd throw in a 3rd, for example.

I was thinkin about a deal like:

Byram, Georgiev and Avs 2024 1st for
Saros 1,25M retained and Nashville 2024 2nd.

You get a young top four D with top pairing potential, an ok starter to easen the way for Askarov and a first round pick.

Avs get an elite goalie and a lesser pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad