Trade Saros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It would really sting to trade Saros not just to the West but to a division rival. I don't see it happening.

Reactions: SouthNash

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, I'd settle for Casey+ if we're going with NJ.

We're not in the position to deal a 2nd imo, if we get a truly elite prospect and that's all that's holding it up then yes, but otherwise no.

I'd be suspicious if Colorado was eager to trade us Byram.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah, I'd settle for Casey+ if we're going with NJ.

We're not in the position to deal a 2nd imo, if we get a truly elite prospect and that's all that's holding it up then yes, but otherwise no.

I'd be suspicious if Colorado was eager to trade us Byram.
My problem with casey is then our top two defensive prospects are 5'10/5'11 puck movers. Pretty squatty group.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I’d love to see Trotz pull off a heist

Freddy Andersen + Nadeau + 1st and maybe a 4th for Saros

Andersen is skating , when he’s back send Andersen to the Devils for some package

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I’d love to see Trotz pull off a heist

Freddy Andersen + Nadeau + 1st and maybe a 4th for Saros

Andersen is skating , when he’s back send Andersen to the Devils for some package
That's not much of a heist, at all. The Preds are in sort of a rebuild. New GM with a ton of picks, so I believe the ask for Saros will be an elite prospect + 1st. If the proposal includes "hey, you can maybe flip this guy" as the centerpiece, I don't think Trotz will listen to the offer very long.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
That's not much of a heist, at all. The Preds are in sort of a rebuild. New GM with a ton of picks, so I believe the ask for Saros will be an elite prospect + 1st. If the proposal includes "hey, you can maybe flip this guy" as the centerpiece, I don't think Trotz will listen to the offer very long.
I think for something like this to work it would need to be a three teamer where it’s all done at once. We sort of went that route with Barrie of thinking we could flip him (at least it initially seemed that way although maybe he was just a cap dump) and that hasn’t really worked out well.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I think for something like this to work it would need to be a three teamer where it’s all done at once. We sort of went that route with Barrie of thinking we could flip him (at least it initially seemed that way although maybe he was just a cap dump) and that hasn’t really worked out well.
I guess Trotz could try to piece a 3-way, but I don't see it. This is really his one asset (available) that will net a good return. I think he keeps it simple. Elite prospect or young top-6 scorer and a 1st.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yep. "Flip him for what you really want" is how teams get ripped off.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
fair enough, I was leaning towards more of getting a good package from Carolina then flipping Andersen again for more assets to NJ, but ya I mean you could squeeze more from Carolina.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think Carolina is even in the market for a goalie at all. Somehow out of one speculative moment from Friedman it became a thing? They have 4 goalies. Kochetkov is their Askarov and has been doing great. Andersen and Raanta are creaky and oft-injured, but whoever happens to be healthy out of them at any given moment can pair adequately with Kochetkov. And then if both are injured at the same time, they picked up Martin for that reason. They aren't going to trade for Saros, period.

And if New Jersey turns out to be the ONLY team that is even in the market for a starting goalie, well, that kind of market constraint is going to lead to a situation where the return for Saros wouldn't be sufficient for us. Because some other goalie will be available more cheaply for New Jersey.

I think folks need to step back from the TDL clickbait and start expecting that Saros is highly likely to be staying put.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don't think Carolina is even in the market for a goalie at all. Somehow out of one speculative moment from Friedman it became a thing? They have 4 goalies. Kochetkov is their Askarov and has been doing great. Andersen and Raanta are creaky and oft-injured, but whoever happens to be healthy out of them at any given moment can pair adequately with Kochetkov. And then if both are injured at the same time, they picked up Martin for that reason. They aren't going to trade for Saros, period.

And if New Jersey turns out to be the ONLY team that is even in the market for a starting goalie, well, that kind of market constraint is going to lead to a situation where the return for Saros wouldn't be sufficient for us. Because some other goalie will be available more cheaply for New Jersey.

I think folks need to step back from the TDL clickbait and start expecting that Saros is highly likely to be staying put.
I'm not so sure. Last years "TDL clickbait" was us moving Ekholm which everyone (including myself) thought was really unlikely and then it happened. You may have been the most outspoken about their being no way we trade Ekholm too. I think at this point we're probably leaning towards not re-signing Saros so that means we're very likely to move him at some point. I don't know if we will get a strong enough offer to do that this deadline or if we hold out and hope for something better in the offseason, but I think it happens at some point.

As far as the Canes go while Kochetkov may be the goalie of the future he still is just league average right now. Raanta and Andersen have both been bad this year and Spencer Martin isn't really a guy you want to pin your hopes on. Granted Saros has struggled too this year but maybe they hope with a better team in front of him he bounces back. The Canes are in a weird place because while their forward corps is still very young their defenseman are all approaching 30 and all need extensions in a year or two. I wouldn't bet on them trading for Saros but I also don't think it is totally out of the realm of possibility either.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not so sure. Last years "TDL clickbait" was us moving Ekholm which everyone (including myself) thought was really unlikely and then it happened. You may have been the most outspoken about their being no way we trade Ekholm too. I think at this point we're probably leaning towards not re-signing Saros so that means we're very likely to move him at some point. I don't know if we will get a strong enough offer to do that this deadline or if we hold out and hope for something better in the offseason, but I think it happens at some point.

It will definitely erode my confidence in Trotz anyway if he just takes a "meh" return for Saros. Trotz himself said however that his expectation is that he's extending Saros and not trading him. Granted, that was a couple months ago. But I think he'll get offered a sufficiently unappetizing heap of "meh" that he can't possibly be jumpy enough to just trade Saros for that. Saros has been too good in recent seasons for any rational evaluation to end up at the point of trading him for "meh" returns.

I will definitely say this: if Trotz trades Saros for "meh"... I'm out. I don't actually believe Trotz is that dumb, but... I don't need to follow a team that is going to do things like that. So y'all can take extra solace in that! :) You guys get an extra "win" if it goes down. :D

As far as the Canes go while Kochetkov may be the goalie of the future he still is just league average right now. Raanta and Andersen have both been bad this year and Spencer Martin isn't really a guy you want to pin your hopes on. Granted Saros has struggled too this year but maybe they hope with a better team in front of him he bounces back. The Canes are in a weird place because while their forward corps is still very young their defenseman are all approaching 30 and all need extensions in a year or two. I wouldn't bet on them trading for Saros but I also don't think it is totally out of the realm of possibility either.
Ok? I mean, read anything any Canes fan has ever said on the topic? Kochetkov has been really good the last few months. He's better than Saros right now. Alas. Again, you can't really factor for NHL GMs having total braincramps, because sometimes they do. On the whole, NHL GMs aren't too bright. But I'm not going to bank on that factor. :dunno:

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
If a college player is the key piece of any trade, the organization better have assurances in place that the player will sign with the team, otherwise that is a fiasco.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It will definitely erode my confidence in Trotz anyway if he just takes a "meh" return for Saros. Trotz himself said however that his expectation is that he's extending Saros and not trading him. Granted, that was a couple months ago. But I think he'll get offered a sufficiently unappetizing heap of "meh" that he can't possibly be jumpy enough to just trade Saros for that. Saros has been too good in recent seasons for any rational evaluation to end up at the point of trading him for "meh" returns.

I will definitely say this: if Trotz trades Saros for "meh"... I'm out. I don't actually believe Trotz is that dumb, but... I don't need to follow a team that is going to do things like that. So y'all can take extra solace in that! :) You guys get an extra "win" if it goes down. :D

Ok? I mean, read anything any Canes fan has ever said on the topic? Kochetkov has been really good the last few months. He's better than Saros right now. Alas. Again, you can't really factor for NHL GMs having total braincramps, because sometimes they do. On the whole, NHL GMs aren't too bright. But I'm not going to bank on that factor. :dunno:
Trotz has also said he's not interested in giving out long term contracts right now. It's likely that Saros is the exception to that rule but it's not like he's been particularly consistent with matching his actions to his words either.

Sure Kochetkov has been good recently but the question is do the Canes believe in him for a playoff run? I'm not sure that is completely clear despite what Canes fans on here might think. They all thought Nedeljkovic was their goalie of the future a few years back before they abruptly traded him too. Like I said I wouldn't bet on the Canes trading for Saros but it is definitely a non-zero chance.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If a college player is the key piece of any trade, the organization better have assurances in place that the player will sign with the team, otherwise that is a fiasco.
All the prospect publications really like the kid and I've seen him listed as the biggest steal of last year's draft. Though, I know what you mean about college players.

Reactions: Oilers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad