Trade Saros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Like I said in the other thread, I do believe that management is calling off the selling at this TDL. This team is just too close to the playoff line to back down.

That being said, Arvidsson's new injury might be a good thing for Saros' value as they now have over $4 mil to throw into LTIR.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Like I said in the other thread, I do believe that management is calling off the selling at this TDL. This team is just too close to the playoff line to back down.

That being said, Arvidsson's new injury might be a good thing for Saros' value as they now have over $4 mil to throw into LTIR.
Not to mention Big Save Dave didn't look all that great last night.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
We'd talked ad nauseam about Carolina/Jersey/LA - is there anyone else that might surprise us?
  • Can't imagine Edmonton would make a big move now, though early in the year it would have made a lot fo sense. Don't love their assets either. If anything, maybe Broberg+1st+?
  • Colorado is cruising and is in-division, but both of their goalies have sub-90 sv%s. Byram, the return of Girard...not a ton else super interesting. They do have their next 3 firsts. I don't see it working out, but could see them going elsewhere for a cheaper goalie.
  • Philly would be an out-of-left-field one, but they have no starter with Hart's uncertain future. If they get impatient and want to move the rebuild along, maybe they'd take another swing at solving their goalie curse. I assume Drysdale is off limits, but they have some interesting young guys like Morgan Frost, Cam York, Zamula, etc. I like the pieces from our end, but I bet they would prefer Askarov's age vs Saros.
Any other remote possibilities?

Reactions: BigFatCat999

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Seems like trading Saros this summer makes a lot more sense. After July 1 teams could work on an extension and we would presumably get a better return. I'd love for Saros to be able to mentor Askarov a couple of years but I cant see him signing short term and no NMC.

Reactions: Armourboy

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Seems like trading Saros this summer makes a lot more sense. After July 1 teams could work on an extension and we would presumably get a better return. I'd love for Saros to be able to mentor Askarov a couple of years but I cant see him signing short term and no NMC.
I disagree.

I think Saros' value is now higher than it will ever be. Contending teams can get him for two playoff runs at $5 mil and see what he's really made of before committing top-dollar for him.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, I can see him gone this season because we're so close right now.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I disagree.

I think Saros' value is now higher than it will ever be. Contending teams can get him for two playoff runs at $5 mil and see what he's really made of before committing top-dollar for him.
The other benefit of a trade now is the pro-rated cap space. This playoff run is super inexpensive from the acquiring team's perspective.

I'm torn, I think it's overall similar. More takers in the off-season and ability to get an extension vs two playoff runs and a cheaper salary this year. I doubt it's wildly different either time.

As others have said, I know we only have one retention spot left, but this is the time to use it if it significantly ups the return.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I disagree.

But the number of suitors is much more limited. A lot more teams will consider him if they can work out an extension before pulling the trigger

Reactions: Armourboy

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
We'd talked ad nauseam about Carolina/Jersey/LA - is there anyone else that might surprise us?
  • Can't imagine Edmonton would make a big move now, though early in the year it would have made a lot fo sense. Don't love their assets either. If anything, maybe Broberg+1st+?
  • Colorado is cruising and is in-division, but both of their goalies have sub-90 sv%s. Byram, the return of Girard...not a ton else super interesting. They do have their next 3 firsts. I don't see it working out, but could see them going elsewhere for a cheaper goalie.
  • Philly would be an out-of-left-field one, but they have no starter with Hart's uncertain future. If they get impatient and want to move the rebuild along, maybe they'd take another swing at solving their goalie curse. I assume Drysdale is off limits, but they have some interesting young guys like Morgan Frost, Cam York, Zamula, etc. I like the pieces from our end, but I bet they would prefer Askarov's age vs Saros.
Any other remote possibilities?
Edmonton - skinners last 5 games have all been pretty subpar which may have them recalculating their goaltending for the playoffs Of course anything involving them would likely also require us taking Campbell for future buyout/backup purposes which is harsh. Then there is their prospect pool which im not really of fan of. Broberg is ok but he isnt waiver exempt next season and that would be my asking price for just taking campbell. Then you get into the actual price of saros and i just dont see pieces im actually interested in. I dont really want late picks for saros. If we gets 1sts round picks they need to be a top 10 not late 20s

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Edmonton - skinners last 5 games have all been pretty subpar which may have them recalculating their goaltending for the playoffs Of course anything involving them would likely also require us taking Campbell for future buyout/backup purposes which is harsh. Then there is their prospect pool which im not really of fan of. Broberg is ok but he isnt waiver exempt next season and that would be my asking price for just taking campbell. Then you get into the actual price of saros and i just dont see pieces im actually interested in. I dont really want late picks for saros. If we gets 1sts round picks they need to be a top 10 not late 20s
Agreed. The price to take on Campbell is a 1st EASILY. The only two young NHLers that interest me at all are Bouchard and Broberg. It makes no sense for them to trade away someone like Nugent Hopkins/Hyman, or for us to take back someone older than Saros as the main return. I don't see a deal there unless they go decide to risk it all and do, like, Broberg+their next 3 firsts+Campbell+? for Saros, but even then, we need quality and not quantity. Not good trade partners.

As crazy as it is, any deal with them is likely a there teamer. They trade futures/whatever to Anaheim for Zegras, we get Zegras for Saros, they get Saros for futures, something like that.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Zegras has alot of the same flaws in his game that Novak does. So ultimately i think Trotz and Brunette wont want to use him as a center either.

There is Josh Norris who is a buy low but high risk candidate. They might be looking to dump the husk of Korpisalo

Tage Thompson or Casey Mittelstadt from Buffalo. Or go after one of their center prospects... seriously they have alot of center depth it's pretty stupid.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
But the number of suitors is much more limited. A lot more teams will consider him if they can work out an extension before pulling the trigger
I tend to think you are right. I think the market for that level of goalie has all but dried up, and any team that might get trigger happy doesn't really have much to offer prospect wise anyways.

I think he will get moved in the offseason if it so going to happen. Teams will get a bit more cap space, they can move/dump some players that either didn't work out or aren't that good.

Unless some team comes out of left field absolutely no one is thinking about, Trotz played chicken and everyone else swerved or blew a motor before even getting there.:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: PredsV82

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Am I the only one who doesn't like Zegras?
I'm a fan of him on the Ducks but don't really have much interest in seeing him with the Preds, which probably makes zero sense, but...

And at best he's a #2 center, like Turris--put him in more sheltered offensive situations and PP time, but you can't match up against anyone on the opposition. Better on the wing. Like someone else said, similar to Novak.

Reactions: Scoresberg

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Hey there, Preds fans. I'm a Sens fan.

Would you guys have interest in Chychrun? Let's assume he indicates an eagerness to extend ASAP, on a 4- to 6-yr term under $8m.

I am trying to think of what we could offer for Saros that would beat out the market and am having a hard time seeing a way there given the pieces we have for offer. That would change if you guys have real interest in Chychrun, though, so I figured I'd poll the board.

Cheers :)

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Would you guys have interest in Chychrun? Let's assume he indicates an eagerness to extend ASAP, on a 4- to 6-yr term under $8m.

I am trying to think of what we could offer for Saros that would beat out the market and am having a hard time seeing a way there given the pieces we have for offer. That would change if you guys have real interest in Chychrun, though, so I figured I'd poll the board.

Me personally. No. Between his extensive injury history, not wanting to be on teams that are retooling/rebuilding (which nashville is currently doing), already having alot of cap sunk into LHD when we really need to be allocating cap into the forward position with my preference being center, among other reasons.

Now if you want to slide pinto our way....

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro

Shane Pinto would be that starting point from. Ottawa.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Me personally. No. Between his extensive injury history, not wanting to be on teams that are retooling/rebuilding (which nashville is currently doing), already having alot of cap sunk into LHD when we really need to be allocating cap into the forward position with my preference being center, among other reasons.

Now if you want to slide pinto our way....
Shane Pinto would be that starting point from. Ottawa.
I would put the chances of this at near zero. You'd have a much better chance at our top-5 protected 1st, and I doubt we'll pay that either.

Someone will pay the price but don't think Ottawa's in a good position to do so. Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad