CFL 2024

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sure, but with the worst possible play a reciever can make in a game. Blowing a catch AND popping it up for a pick. He was guilted into being better off of that play. That and the Bede miss FG turned out to be margin of victory.
Fair enough. I missed this play. I had people over and we were back and forth all day between this game and the mlb playoffs. What I was referring to most was the two big plays he made on a touchdown drive in the first half.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Nah. Like I said O'Shea himself is one for the ages. Both as a player and coach. The single best longterm guy in the league. Wish we had a guy like that behind the bench. Or on the field. A lot of respect for that guy and teams LOVE to play for him. I take or leave Collaros, he's good, and he's money at times but Bombers don't win because of him. They win because of being solid on all 3 units and being disciplined. They're class of the league.

ps the only NFL team I liked was the Patriots. Its OK to respect good teams and legends like Brady. heh

Man, you should never cheer for the East in Canada. In anything.
lol I will never cheer for Winnipeg ever. Sorry man. I don’t normally cheer for the East if Edmonton, Calgary, BC got in. But Winnipeg. I’ll cheer for anyone else. I honestly find them to be a dirty team, Collaros is a loser. Winnipeg is a bunch of cry babies. They play dirty to other teams, but if one of their players gets hurt they cry like my 1 year old daughter. It’s embarrassing. I respect how good that franchise is, but that’s it. I will take the Argos, Als, Redblacks, Cats any day winning over another Bombers win.

Patriots. Nothing wrong with that. I am a colts fan and they were a huge rival to us and always beat us (up to 2005). So I naturally didn’t like them, but it’s not the same as Winnipeg. I have a lot of respect for the patriots and Tom Brady. They gave the Colts some of the best and most entertaining matches of all time. I still go back and re watch games from 03, 04, (especially 06 haha)

Believe me. Winnipeg I am sure thinks the same about the Riders and would cheer for almost anyone else to beat us so I’m sure the feeling is mutual lol

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Haven't seen the game yet, but will take a look at the taping and give an opinion. (usually bad but hey, lol)

I will say this without even seeing it but reviewing the season so far and even last year. I wonder how many games we would have won this year if we had the much maligned Sean Whyte kicking balls through the uprights? He was never going to pound 55 yarders through, but really consistent from around 45 and in. Too bad he got basically run out of town, but seems to be pretty decent in BC.

Reactions: bellagiobob

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Norm Kimball retired.
Laughed when I read your post but the reality is that in today's world there's no way that Warren Moon would have come north of the border to play football.

No way would Joe Theismann play 3 seasons with the Argos.

The CFL is a much tougher sell than it used to be.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Except Ford hasn't been a legit running threat in any other than one game this season. He just hasn't been. 97yds rushing. Half of that in the one game. The Broadcast all day is trying to attribute the ground attack to RPO but thats giving an abundance of credit to Ford who hasn't even had success running this season. I credit Rankin mostly, and Leake for the few games he was on.

CFL correction has occurred regarding Ford. Pretty simple for good clubs to just spy a linebacker and it shuts down the RPO.

Not concluding. Also Ford has been granted 3 starts and was also injured which seems to be a problem with him. Both times he's been handed the ball in successive seasons he's been injured before he can get established.

There was nothing spotty about MBT i the first 3 games passing for nearly 1K yds. The team around him was playing spotty. MBT has now been in for games 5X that were settled by a FG. Lost all of them. But in each of those games the losses were due to somebody else. Bede at fault in 3 of them. MBT also salvaged the game in one of the Ford starts. MBT should have around half a dozen wins this season. Its not on him imo that he doesn't.

Generally you can't ask for more than MBT gave today. He has well over 400yds passing if his receivers don't flat out fumble and botch receptions, the one being an int due to Lewis flubbing up.

man look around the league this year for some real dog performances by QB's. Maier in Calgary constant with them. Rourke playing like shit. Its no accident MBT is in a dead heat with Collaros in yds passing. He's one of the best aerial attack QB's the league has. If we didn't have MBT we would have worse.

Ford has played 2.5 games...half his rushing yards occurring in one of them is nothing noteworthy. The terrible Winnipeg game two weeks ago is really the only instance of Ford playing poorly this season...so the best team in the league shut him down, and he was otherwise fine in limited viewings. The jury is still out on him, and it's incredibly disappointing that he received so little playing time in another failed season.

MBT threw some bad picks and killed some crucial drives with missed easy passes in the first month of the season. Going by memory, but he tossed unforced redzone picks in two of those early losses. Of course those were not the only mistakes in those games, but they tilted would-be close wins into losses, similar to Gittens and Lewis yesterday. MBT then blaming the schedule makers for the poor start to the season being icing on the cake.

I give MBT a lot of credit for turning his attitude around and being a real leader after Jones got fired. Could have easily mailed it in at 0-7 with everyone calling for Ford to start, but he dug in and played some good ball to get the team back in the race. He wasn't innocent in digging the hole though, just far from the worst culprit.

Honestly though, if Ford tells the organization to f*** off, bringing back MBT for 2025 is probably the best likely option. I think he's basically what an average QB should look like, but an average QB who stays healthy has 80-90% of the competition beat at this point. No Ray's or Calvillo's under centre these days.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Haven't seen the game yet, but will take a look at the taping and give an opinion. (usually bad but hey, lol)

I will say this without even seeing it but reviewing the season so far and even last year. I wonder how many games we would have won this year if we had the much maligned Sean Whyte kicking balls through the uprights? He was never going to pound 55 yarders through, but really consistent from around 45 and in. Too bad he got basically run out of town, but seems to be pretty decent in BC.

Or how about Sergio Castillo, who Jones cut to save money (like what, 20 grand?)...seems Winnipeg found good use for him. Curious as to whether or not Julien can kick FGs...last two games would be a nice tryout. Maybe he can be another Sean Fleming. Bede better be nowhere near Commonwealth next year, that much is obvious.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Ford has played 2.5 games...half his rushing yards occurring in one of them is nothing noteworthy. The terrible Winnipeg game two weeks ago is really the only instance of Ford playing poorly this season...so the best team in the league shut him down, and he was otherwise fine in limited viewings. The jury is still out on him, and it's incredibly disappointing that he received so little playing time in another failed season.

MBT threw some bad picks and killed some crucial drives with missed easy passes in the first month of the season. Going by memory, but he tossed unforced redzone picks in two of those early losses. Of course those were not the only mistakes in those games, but they tilted would-be close wins into losses, similar to Gittens and Lewis yesterday. MBT then blaming the schedule makers for the poor start to the season being icing on the cake.

I give MBT a lot of credit for turning his attitude around and being a real leader after Jones got fired. Could have easily mailed it in at 0-7 with everyone calling for Ford to start, but he dug in and played some good ball to get the team back in the race. He wasn't innocent in digging the hole though, just far from the worst culprit.

Honestly though, if Ford tells the organization to f*** off, bringing back MBT for 2025 is probably the best likely option. I think he's basically what an average QB should look like, but an average QB who stays healthy has 80-90% of the competition beat at this point. No Ray's or Calvillo's under centre these days.
Ford has played in 5 of the games. He's played appreciable minutes in 4 of the games. He started 3. Its his own injury that prevented him from playing more. The club had handed him the ball. It seemed as if he would continue to get the starts had he not been injured.

Of course the lack of Ford rushing yds and rushing attempts is noteworthy as he's running far less times per game and when he runs his average is down from a high of 9yds to the present 6yds He's no longer burning clubs with the run as he did when he first started.

Not sure where people feel MBT wasn't being a leader. All the comments coming from the room say he is.

But yeah, of course as I stated if we don't have MBT we have worse. What a club has in MBT anytime is a strong guy that doesn't get injured, doesn't fumble, and who is ready to start every game. None of those things can be stated about Ford and it was hoped that Ford would be more resilient as he grew older well he's going to be 27 next season and he still looks less solid than he should for a QB and gets hurt nearly every game he plays. Ford doesn't survive contact nearly as much as a running QB should. To that degree previous comparisons to Tracy Ham, (not you) are ridiculous. If anything Ford is now dissuaded from running and possibly due to now knowing what its like to be hit at this level.

Look. Fords top rushing game this season isn't even in his top ten rushing yds games that he's had here. Its notable how less effective he is at this. Undeniable. This is a guy that ran for 25yds in a game. Has had 8oyd rushing games, several 60 or 70yd rushing games. Ford used to be able to take the ball himself on broken plays or when nothing is there and gain a first down himself. That is rare now even when he's playing. Two of his starts this season he rushed for 9 and 11yds. I stress the rushing game for Ford as important because its what opens up games for him. Without it he's not that dangerous.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Or how about Sergio Castillo, who Jones cut to save money (like what, 20 grand?)...seems Winnipeg found good use for him. Curious as to whether or not Julien can kick FGs...last two games would be a nice tryout. Maybe he can be another Sean Fleming. Bede better be nowhere near Commonwealth next year, that much is obvious.

Julien can punt the snot out of the ball, but he’s out kicking the coverage too often. Was quite noticeable yesterday. A second or two more hang time would make a huge difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad