Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Biggest-Horse-Breeds.jpg

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Just went through the last 10 pages of this thread. Its quite depressing to see fans being the low on our own prospects. Ok the kid just has 20pts in 70 games played. 55 of these games where he was touching the puck few times a game and the play would just die on his stick.
Nothing was indicating a quick adjustment in the NHL! He is a big body with kid strength. He needed to adjust form playing a not so agressive game on bigger ice surface to an agressive one on a smaller surface. A much busier schedule in NHL. Ideally this year he would have played with Dach another big body and have a bit less physical responsabilities but... we all know what happened. So he is now stuck on the first line and to be honest, i do not remember a kid his age in mtl having this type of impact on the first line. Had CC converted some of the prime chances Slaf presented him he would easily have 10 more assists.
So bottom line is chill out guys, its coming along nicely. We have no clue what type of impact he will have long term, I see a bit of Marian Hossa in his game with the puck retreiving skills of well.. i cant think of a yong guy that was that good along the boards to retreive pucks and make a play from it. So where will it lead Slaf... not sure but its a nice place.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Big change from last season is added strength and much better balance. Also, he has much better awareness - he's not getting levelled anymore. I believe those were the only things he focused on in the offseason. That bodes well. He is supremely coachable.

Next steps are to improve his shot and to be more assertive by driving to the net with / without the puck.

He's a project that is progressing slowly and deliberately as a project should. The finished product is kind of exciting to thinkg about.

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
What's positive is that it is often the case that good players pick up points in this way. They don't always get apples by making the fanciest plays. Because their talent allows them to be constantly involved in the play and making puck touches, they rack up points off of cycles, deflections, and rebounds.

It's all very positive. I'm bullish on his potential.
It's a 'fight' against those 'bearish' guys. :D

If he works hard on his shot and hitting the net with it, we're going to have a monster on our hands.
Slaf improved in other areas, what is a chance once his focus is on shooting he will not improve?
Zero!!

Reactions: HabzSauce and Pomee

Nova_Scotia_Vees

Jun 1, 2004
I feel like other teams players are starting to fear him in the O zone. He's like a savage going after the puck and his so huge and strong now that they can't hold him off like last year. He's making huge strides to become that PF we are hoping for. I'm constantly screaming at the TV for us to finish our checks and Slaf has been listening..:)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Big change from last season is added strength and much better balance. Also, he has much better awareness - he's not getting levelled anymore. I believe those were the only things he focused on in the offseason. That bodes well. He is supremely coachable.

He has his head up now. He's not getting levelled. Nicolas Cloutier of TVA Sports had a feature before the season began about Slaf's off-season training. Remember the pictures of him on a bike with the breathing mask on and doing drills on the ice with the shades on? Cloutier got in touch with the guy who had Slaf doing that kind of training.

The guy said that he was seeing Slaf lose his balance a lot and would often be tired towards the end of his shift, which coincided with getting caught with his head down. The trainer said that by the end of the summer, Slaf's breathing had improved by 20%. That's a lot. And that surely contributes to him being more steady and not as tired to the point he slants his head down and becomes more vulnerable.

And in terms of his puck protection, Hughes did an interview with Jimmy Murphy and Pierre McGuire several days ago. He mentioned that one thing Slaf is starting to figure out is that when he protects the puck, he doesn't always have to have his stick on the puck. He lets go of the puck, absorbs the hit and then takes the puck again and continues the play.

It's a little detail that 95% of us won't notice, but MSL, management, and the development staff do and have helped him work on those minor details.

Next steps are to improve his shot and to be more assertive by driving to the net with / without the puck.

Definitely. All these things should come with time. But surely aspects of his game that need to be improved.

He's a project that is progressing slowly and deliberately as a project should. The finished product is kind of exciting to thinkg about.

Last year, he played 39 games. So picture where he was in Game 39 last year before he got hurt. And then think of where he is in Game 32 this year. You'll see the big steps he's taken in his development.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

His shot and offence need work. But he’s so incredible for a 19 year old in the rest of his game that there’s so much promise. He protects teammates, seems always positive, really wants to win and he does look supremely coachable.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I think he's starting to realize he doesn't have to panic and that he has an extra second to process than most other fwds in the corners
The willingness to engage first was always there even when he wasn't succesful with it in his first year. That's something that's a huge quality of his , not afraid of failure and reckonizing why he was not being successful with it.

Even when losing alot of physical battles last year he never got shy about engaging first, now his technique and strength are coming together this year. He's probably even surprising himself with some of the plays he can find himself creating that he could not last year.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
He should have had at least 3-4 (points), I'm not worried. I just want him to keep scanning the ice with his head up the rest can be figured out when you have that "information". It can be challenging to see/make the correct play when you are looking at your skates. He is doing better at scanning with his head up this year.

Here is my update almost halfway through the season:

The points are slowly starting to come. He is still doing a great job scanning the ice and play. He is now starting to "use" that information effectively. He is slowly putting it together. You can still see him whiffing on the odd shot attempt. He is getting used to shooting with his head up. This is all extremely positive. Head up and scanning the play is the entire key to this players success. He has the physical tools. He seems to be learning and adapting the mental aspects of the game too.

This is what he needs to develop into a star forward. He seems to be a smart kid and decent learner. I'm not worried and much less worried than last year. In a few years of he keeps this up and continues to grow as a player he will be a great asset for this team.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
He is a good looking guy who will be quite marketable in the city with his personality. I’m glad they haven’t bombarded him with this responsibility yet. But if he becomes a premier power forward in the league, his face will be everywhere in town.

yeah he's marketable no doubt

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I feel like other teams players are starting to fear him in the O zone. He's like a savage going after the puck and his so huge and strong now that they can't hold him off like last year. He's making huge strides to become that PF we are hoping for. I'm constantly screaming at the TV for us to finish our checks and Slaf has been listening.

I'm not sure about fear, just not yet, but a few nights ago I remember the opposition was chirping at him at the benches. He's starting to atleast get in their heads. It's promising.

Reactions: Kennerback

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What's positive is that it is often the case that good players pick up points in this way. They don't always get apples by making the fanciest plays. Because their talent allows them to be constantly involved in the play and making puck touches, they rack up points off of cycles, deflections, and rebounds.

It's all very positive. I'm bullish on his potential.
He doesn’t strike me as a ‘fancy’ type player. He’s going to score some garbage goals and make nice passes. He’s not a dipsy doodler - which if perfectly fine btw.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
He has his head up now. He's not getting levelled. Nicolas Cloutier of TVA Sports had a feature before the season began about Slaf's off-season training. Remember the pictures of him on a bike with the breathing mask on and doing drills on the ice with the shades on? Cloutier got in touch with the guy who had Slaf doing that kind of training.

The guy said that he was seeing Slaf lose his balance a lot and would often be tired towards the end of his shift, which coincided with getting caught with his head down. The trainer said that by the end of the summer, Slaf's breathing had improved by 20%. That's a lot. And that surely contributes to him being more steady and not as tired to the point he slants his head down and becomes more vulnerable.

And in terms of his puck protection, Hughes did an interview with Jimmy Murphy and Pierre McGuire several days ago. He mentioned that one thing Slaf is starting to figure out is that when he protects the puck, he doesn't always have to have his stick on the puck. He lets go of the puck, absorbs the hit and then takes the puck again and continues the play.

It's a little detail that 95% of us won't notice, but MSL, management, and the development staff do and have helped him work on those minor details.

Definitely. All these things should come with time. But surely aspects of his game that need to be improved.

Last year, he played 39 games. So picture where he was in Game 39 last year before he got hurt. And then think of where he is in Game 32 this year. You'll see the big steps he's taken in his development.
nice post homie, thx

Reactions: Redux91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad