Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, i’m not looking at points for him this season, it’s just good for him and his confidence when he does get on the scoresheet. But really, the progression he is showing right now on the ice is all i was asking for this season.

The way he plays though, he could start racking up the points from now on for the rest of the season.
Who knows what's up with Caufield but I liked his all around game. There's no way in hell he doesn't get that shot back at some point. And even with a neutered CC that line looked dangerous. When he comes back to life that line will produce plenty.

I think it's a worthwhile debate whether Suzuki is a true #1C or not but he's still a fantastic player and I have no doubt he can put up big numbers with those 2 once they get it going.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
His backchecking is quite good. He doesn’t overcommit and chase the puck like a lot of young players (ie Kotkaniemi back in the day). It’s obvious that he’s very coachable. That’s definitely one of the things that can only be uncovered through interviews before the draft. It’s likely a big reason why they took him ahead of Wright who always seemed a bit entitled.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
His backchecking is quite good. He doesn’t overcommit and chase the puck like a lot of young players (ie Kotkaniemi back in the day). It’s obvious that he’s very coachable. That’s definitely one of the things that can only be uncovered through interviews before the draft. It’s likely a big reason why they took him ahead of Wright who always seemed a bit entitled.
It might have been THE reason ultimately, there wasn't a big gap in talent in the top 5 but they felt he had the best ''intangibles'' , including coachability. That was the difference maker.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Slaf has 1pt in his last how many games. Use the same standard for all.

The Habs needed a PMD/D1 as much as they needed a W. If Wright was a DND (not convinced) and Cooley is “uninspiring” (not sure why) there was Jiricek who was off the charts productive for his age and Nemec who has basically no flaws. Both have a higher PPG in the NHL as rookies (“adapting to NA Ice”) than super stud Slafkovsky the long term project.

But there is no point relitigating this issue right now. By the end of season we’ll see if Slaf caught up to his hype or not. If yes, sweet.

Lets use the same standard and forget the league they’re playing in.

Please take a month break.

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91 and Pomee

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Lmao I was excited to see he scored two points as I didn't see the game and he scored the two most Danault points of lal time. He did seem to have a good game regardless.
I remember when he got drafted people here were really mad because pretty much all of his goals/assists in other leagues that could be seen on video weren't the result of "skill plays".

Sounds like it won't change in the NHL. He's going to get important points, just not "pretty" goals and assists.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
8 pts in his last 17 games, which puts him at a pace to score 32 pts in 67 games since he started producing a little more often.
Yep Jack Hughes had 21 points during his first season, same with Lafrenierre. I know this is his 2nd season but he has played less than one season of games.
Great strides are being made and should be celebrated

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Biggest improvement I've seen from him is that last year, the play often died on his stick. He just couldn't figure out how to absorb contact and play through it.

Now he's more often than not winning those battles and it's leading to increased puck possession for his linemates who needed that type of player.

Before last night it hadn't translated into actual production, so happy to see him get rewarded with some good fortune. Quite a few times the last dozen games or so he finished the game without any points but deserved to get a few.

He's stacked a good amount of games like this together now. Long may this continue.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The funny thing about last night with him "producing points" is that those stat watchers who repeatedly point to point production as the reason he is not living up to standards, would think that was one of his best games. Last night is a classic example of why points don't necessarily mean everything. Not saying he didn't play well, just point out that some points actually mean jack shit relative to a players skill and effect on a game.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It might have been THE reason ultimately, there wasn't a big gap in talent in the top 5 but they felt he had the best ''intangibles'' , including coachability. That was the difference maker.
Makes sense; I really hope you're right. I'm still having a hard time believing our scouts and coaches had a master plan that's actually working...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The funny thing about last night with him "producing points" is that those stat watchers who repeatedly point to point production as the reason he is not living up to standards, would think that was one of his best games. Last night is a classic example of why points don't necessarily mean everything. Not saying he didn't play well, just point out that some points actually mean jack shit relative to a players skill and effect on a game.
What's positive is that it is often the case that good players pick up points in this way. They don't always get apples by making the fanciest plays. Because their talent allows them to be constantly involved in the play and making puck touches, they rack up points off of cycles, deflections, and rebounds.

It's all very positive. I'm bullish on his potential.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
What's positive is often the case that good players pick up points in this way. They don't always get apples by making the fanciest plays. Because their talent allows them to be constantly involved in the play and making puck touches, they rack up points off of cycles, deflections, and rebounds.

It's all very positive. I'm bullish on his potential.
Agreed! I posted a few posts up that this will be the style of many of his goals. He will produce in this way for sure, it's just not the be all and end all for him skill and talent wise. I am bullish as well!

Angry Bull Head Images – Browse 30,309 Stock Photos, Vectors, and Video |  Adobe Stock

Reactions: Pomee

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Makes sense; I really hope you're right. I'm still having a hard time believing our scouts and coaches had a master plan that's actually working...
The back story I remember is how he progressed fast and stepped up the most at every challenge, on the biggest stages hearing interviews with guys like Ramsay and hab management.

I don’t expect the same progression curve as over the last month but things sure are looking up.

Reactions: Lshap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad