Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I think that's actually where some people were misled about Slaf and denied his skill/IQ. He's not a Kovalev. It's not going to be pretty. He's going to be a physical monster who protects the puck and dishes out assists. He's going to be a great kind of player to have in the mix amongst whoever else is in our top6. His puckhandling skills are impressing me and I like that when he does deke, he understands that his reach should be his focus and not worrying about a million stickhandles.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
To be honest, he can do that too. We’ll see him try more things as his confidence grow and has more experience.
We’ll see. Not all great players are fancy dancy. Robitaille, Brett Hull, Jagr, Lindros… very effective but not a lot of flash.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Yeah I think that's actually where some people were misled about Slaf and denied his skill/IQ. He's not a Kovalev. It's not going to be pretty. He's going to be a physical monster who protects the puck and dishes out assists. He's going to be a great kind of player to have in the mix amongst whoever else is in our top6. His puckhandling skills are impressing me and I like that when he does deke, he understands that his reach should be his focus and not worrying about a million stickhandles.
I find his stick skills unique. He’s an excellent stickhandler, he can deke a D or a goalie, he can make nice line to line passes and thread a pass in little space. That’s in a 6’3 240 pounds package. But he seems to have focused all his energy on these technical skills and not so much on shooting and shot release.

The easiest thing for him to fix this achille’s heel is to get dirty goals and assists. Many of his assists should be off rebounds like on Suzuki’s goal. I think he can take it to another level if he just keeps putting the puck on net. Keep it very simple.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
We’ll see. Not all great players are fancy dancy. Robitaille, Brett Hull, Jagr, Lindros… very effective but not a lot of flash.

Mike Bossy said he always aimed 5 hole. Slaf is missing the net way too much left and right. Just send 5 hole a hard pass (like the ones he’s been sending Caufield lately). He might score, he might get a rebound, he’ll create confusion…

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
The growth in his boardplay/physical game has been really incredible to witness, he went from Slafbambi to absolutely trucking veteran NHLers in like 70 games. Extremely encouraging and he'll be an absolute force when he gets his man strength in a few years.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
He doesn’t strike me as a ‘fancy’ type player. He’s going to score some garbage goals and make nice passes. He’s not a dipsy doodler - which if perfectly fine btw.
From what I've seen of him early on he is quite a good stick handler, the knock on him was his vision/IQ, I think he'll start using his stick handling better as he feels more comfortable offensively in tight.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Agreed! I posted a few posts up that this will be the style of many of his goals. He will produce in this way for sure, it's just not the be all and end all for him skill and talent wise. I am bullish as well!

View attachment 788580
In the 70's the Pittsburgh Steelers had a running back named Sidney Thornton, his nickname was the "Thundering Bull"! A perfect named for young Slafkovsky

Reactions: Habs10Habs

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Damn. Didn’t hear about him retiring.
Here for a good time but not a long one apparently
However long he plays, he'll never be a 1OA forward caliber.
But we all wish hard enough maybe this positive energy will transform him into Crosby, Kane, McDavid, Hughes, Matthews, Nash, Tavares, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Bedard level of player.

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
But we all wish hard enough maybe this positive energy will transform him into Crosby, Kane, McDavid, Hughes, Matthews, Nash, Tavares, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Bedard level of player.
Does your name define you? ;)

It's about the definition of caliber.
Slaf is bigger than Bedard. :)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I honestly don’t know what his upside is. He could be a lower mid 1OA. Lower than any of these names but better than the worst. I really don’t know at this point.
All I know is I’m super stoked to have him. Ticks a lot of boxes for me

Reactions: habdynasty

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
What if he ends up being the best player in the draft? Is that enough? It’s quite possible there wasn’t a single player at the level of the others you mentioned

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
What if he ends up being the best player in the draft? Is that enough? It’s quite possible there wasn’t a single player at the level of the others you mentioned
Or he becomes truly elite. I really have no idea what his ceiling is.

I definitely see a high floor. If he can keep up this play for a longer sample size then to me he’s a 1st liner.

The fact that he’s doing as well as he is (despite the production) on a 1st line as a 19 year old while still being VERY raw is hugely promising. He’s very far from a finished product. It’s really exciting for me anyways

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Been less active on this board since season started and kid was born. Very pleased by the progress Slaf has made in such short time and rooting for the kid. Glad points are starting to come. Don't want him to be an analytics darling a la Poolparty or Kakko. With his playmaking ability and game without the puck I'm starting to think he can maybe a poor man version of Blake Wheeler which would be great. Wheeler was one of mkst underrated player in the league in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad