Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
going back to late october, the common denominator with all the posts trying to bash him is the complete avoidance of talking about his play on the ice. we all know he's not putting up elite points on paper. you're not making the point you think you're making it by only going back to stats without acknowledging his on-ice play.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
When he started the year with 1 assist in 13 games I along with many fans were starting to believe this may have been a poor pick.
Over the past 20-25 games it is becoming obvious that he has legitimate upside and is playing some excellent hockey. He is already the best passer on the team and one of the best players in all 3 zones.
His next phase is working on his release.
Oh and he is still a teenager.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
going back to late october, the common denominator with all the posts trying to bash him is the complete avoidance of talking about his play on the ice. we all know he's not putting up elite points on paper. you're not making the point you think you're making it by only going back to stats without acknowledging his on-ice play.

we all did acknowledge he *is* playing better but idk, read what you wanna read I guess

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
When he started the year with 1 assist in 13 games I along with many fans were starting to believe this may have been a poor pick.
Over the past 20-25 games it is becoming obvious that he has legitimate upside and is playing some excellent hockey. He is already the best passer on the team and one of the best players in all 3 zones.
His next phase is working on his release.
Oh and he is still a teenager.
Logan Cooley in his first 20 games had 13 points. Slaf had 6. Slaf is now only 5 points behind. He is catching up, and I think he will pass him by the end of the year. Another troll talking point hopefully squashed.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
we all did acknowledge he *is* playing better but idk, read what you wanna read I guess

i'm just reading that you've been burned by your belief in certain prospects in the past and you're playing up a pessimistic front to be able to pull an "i told you so" card to not look dumb again in the future. do your thing man. it's not rooted in reality.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
i'm just reading that you've been burned by your belief in certain prospects in the past and you're playing up a pessimistic front to be able to pull an "i told you so" card to not look dumb again in the future. do your thing man. it's not rooted in reality.
We have all been wrong about players before. No big deal. It's OK to be optimistic about your favourite sports team. It's not that serious. The dude needs to relax and enjoy life.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

I don't think there's a lot of realism in being overly optimistic and happy for a 1st overall currently mirroring (read: actually doing worse than him, because his first season was way way better) the biggest bust in the cap era beause the eye test says he's doing a little better than he was 30 games ago

And sadly it's the closest comparative we have since nobody else started out as bad as Slaf in that same era

I'm optimistic about things that make sense to be optimistic about. I love Guhle I think he's doing pretty good, i'm a big fan of Montembeault as a modern nhl goalie, Suzuki/Cole is a great combo and I love them eventho I got frustrated at Cole's production that stalled, I'll wait and see on Hutson and hope he can be as good as people predict

but hey you're right I guess, go habs go for life i'll pull out the car flag

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Ironically, they mistook an asset (IE his excellent IQ) as him looking "lost" on the ice, when actually he was almost always in the play positionally in all 3 zones, and showed great anticipation, and awareness. He just didn't end-up with the puck on his stick as much yet, and when he did, he made awesome passes (again in all 3 zones), and setup plays that were flubbed by Anderson et al. Many of us pointed to these facts only to be ridiculed and mocked.

And still to this day, at least 2 of the biggest culprits don't have the cahone's to come back to this thread now that Slaf is proving them dead-wrong.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Ironically, they mistook an asset (IE his excellent IQ) as him looking "lost" on the ice, when actually he was almost always in the play positionally in all 3 zones, and showed great anticipation, and awareness. He just didn't end-up with the puck on his stick as much yet, and when he did, he made awesome passes (again in all 3 zones), and setup plays that were flubbed by Anderson et al. Many of us pointed to these facts only to be ridiculed and mocked.

And still to this day, at least 2 of the biggest culprits don't have the cahone's to come back to this thread now that Slaf is proving them dead-wrong.
Good reminder that not all opinions, or eye tests, are the same...

The next 2-4 yrs will be interesting. Does Slaf turn a corner and start imposing himself in a way that makes full use of his impressive tool box?

What separates guys like Kuch, Pasternak et. is their incredible will and determination to assert themselves. Slaf still seems hesitant out there, especially from a shooting and physical imposing pov... Tmif he makes that shift, the highest projections of his ceiling are certainly within reach & we'll have a unique elite offensive talent we haven't seen since the 70's

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I don't think there's a lot of realism in being overly optimistic and happy for a 1st overall currently mirroring (read: actually doing worse than him, because his first season was way way better) the biggest bust in the cap era beause the eye test says he's doing a little better than he was 30 games ago

And sadly it's the closest comparative we have since nobody else started out as bad as Slaf in that same era

I'm optimistic about things that make sense to be optimistic about. I love Guhle I think he's doing pretty good, i'm a big fan of Montembeault as a modern nhl goalie, Suzuki/Cole is a great combo and I love them eventho I got frustrated at Cole's production that stalled, I'll wait and see on Hutson and hope he can be as good as people predict

but hey you're right I guess, go habs go for life i'll pull out the car flag
guess we just don't see the game the same way

Reactions: nicehiss

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
We have all been wrong about players before. No big deal. It's OK to be optimistic about your favourite sports team. It's not that serious. The dude needs to relax and enjoy life.
This is it. This whole hedging to guard against future hurt or not wanting to be wrong is silly.

It's sports. Have fun. Get too excited. People think it's smarter to curb any excitement they have when it's actually quite the opposite. Hell if you want to think Mitchell Stephens is a future PPG player, go ahead. Who cares? lol.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Good reminder that not all opinions, or eye tests, are the same...

The next 2-4 yrs will be interesting. Does Slaf turn a corner and start imposing himself in a way that makes full use of his impressive tool box?

What separates guys like Kuch, Pasternak et. is their incredible will and determination to assert themselves. Slaf still seems hesitant out there, especially from a shooting and physical imposing pov... Tmif he makes that shift, the highest projections of his ceiling are certainly within reach & we'll have a unique elite offensive talent we haven't seen since the 70's
Totally agree. I'm not worried one bit about the bolded part.

He's still a kid. So the physical play will grow as he grows. Thornton was Bambi before KK was Bambi. And it took time for the huge teeny-bopper to mature into his big frame. They're so similar in many ways, including that giddy goofiness (I remember Thornton well) in interviews. Just kids. And he's not afraid to mix it up, as he showed last game. Shows passion. Which is awesome to see.

And the second and most important reason I'm not worried about this, is Slaf has the will and work ethic to adapt and overcome. As did Thornton and as KK did not.

And for all those reasons, barring injury (knock on wood), I think we do have a unique, offensive talent with an almost infinite ceiling.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You win with large, skilled guys in the playoffs. Give me Slaf all day AIAEC.
indeed. Cooley is a nice asset, and if he hits his full ceiling, may eventually be a top-10 scoring Center... but he won't impact the game nearly as broadly as Slaf will despite playing a C.

Likewise, the floor on Slaf is much higher than Cooley's floor should the two not progress much beyond their current NHL regular level.

Reactions: Tyson and Pomee

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Just going back quickly to find some comparatives for 1st overalls on their second season

31 points is the pace Yakupov was on (24 points in 63 games)
31 points is what Lafreniere did

everyone else was clearing that bar with ease, including the "busts" like Stephan and most defenseman

so yes i'd say setting your expectations at Nail Yakupov is an incredibly low bar and it's depressing enough to consider crying before 10am

you can look at first season too if you want to argue about difference in age, it's pretty similar
He's gonna be fine and better than Yakupov
But Thanks

Reactions: Shutdown and Pomee

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I admit I was wrong with the Slaf pick. I wanted Cooley. Who will be good player though. Keller caliber I predicted.

But Slaf still only 19. In last 6 weeks he has 12 Pts in 19 GP. With 4 Goals, 8 Assists and 17 Hits,
18 Blocks
Honestly, it’s so early that your original call could be right. We won’t know for a few years.

Shawnathon

Jul 25, 2012

He was very lost on the ice for a long time. Turns out it was only age. You saying he wasn’t lost is untrue.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

The receipts I have from some people who sound like they suck their own dicks while posting and claimed that slaf had no IQ to speak of make me smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad