Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
View attachment 789466

For fun
View attachment 789470

edit _ Juraj ahead of Newhook who clocked a 22.2mph

I know many think we got a #1 in a weak year but I can’t help but think we got lucky with this kid.

When he gets even stronger in a few years it’s gonna be so hard to stop him and even then he’ll draw so much attention and focus that it’s going to give his linemates so much open space.

You just can’t put a price on that kind of player in the playoffs. It’s going to be amazing to watch

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
That’s totally fine. I don’t necessarily temper mine if I believe in a player. If I’m wrong and overshoot it, it’s not the end of the world to me. And trust me I’ve done it plenty lol. But what I found that is that I lived another day despite it.

It’s fun being enthusiastic about prospects. But sure that’s my bias or fault. I’ve overrated plenty and probably still do.

I meant no disrespect to you as a person but again I wasn’t singling you out. Plenty of people have echoed your projection.
Good post, we are all passionate and just come here to have some fun. The way Slaf has evolved over the past 15 games tells me his upside is simply not known. With his size, strength and skill....he could be the next Rantanen

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Joe Thornton
Thornton is the major historical precedent for a 1OA taking time before making it big. But he’s a real outlier. And now, litterally mid-season of his D+2, was when Thornton started taking off. So Slaf is really on the road least travelled. Others with slow development were compared to Thornton but they never panned out in the end.

Reactions: Garnet76

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
Thornton is the major historical precedent for a 1OA taking time before making it big. But he’s a real outlier. And now, litterally mid-season of his D+2, was when Thornton started taking off. So Slaf is really on the road least travelled. Others with slow development were compared to Thornton but they never panned out in the end.
Slaf came from Europe, Thornton grew up playing hockey in NA.

Reactions: Pomee and HabbyGuy

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
If someone sees @ReHabs somewhere, PLZ tell him that his posts are being missed alot over here, this thread has become too optimistic, needs more negativity and spices to make things interesting... :sarcasm:

The sad fail of the rational based on flawed analytic models. Analytics are great and help scouts to make some parts of their job easier, but those datas are only complementary to exhaustive players evaluations.

As much as Ive been bothered by Rehabs posts, I still have faith that the Habs fan in him will eventually range on the positive side of the force. :nod:

Not to defend ReHabs, but from what I remember of him talking about Slaf he said that he's been starting to show the physical, forechecking side that the team envisioned when they drafted him, but not necessarily much offensively.

I agree with this statement, he has yet to show me that he can create plays offensively, his decisions in the offensive zone are still a bit slow, and he isn't using his shot enough.

To me, he needs to do this much in the long run, and I think he will. But the way he's currently playing doesn't strike me as "THIS IS FIRST OVERALL MATERIAL" yet. I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of people are pumping Slaf's tires like he's already incredible, it does feel like a positive echo chamber at times, but he's only early in his development process, he's doing well this season and showing good growth, but (imo) far from being "amazing" and "a star" yet.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Good post, we are all passionate and just come here to have some fun. The way Slaf has evolved over the past 15 games tells me his upside is simply not known. With his size, strength and skill....he could be the next Rantanen
That’s what my brother said, that he reminded him of Rantanen. Not saying he’ll have Rantanen’s career since he’s playing with an incredible player like Mackinnon and it helps elevate his game even more but in the type of player and what they offer.

Reactions: Tyson

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Not to defend ReHabs, but from what I remember of him talking about Slaf he said that he's been starting to show the physical, forechecking side that the team envisioned when they drafted him, but not necessarily much offensively.

I agree with this statement, he has yet to show me that he can create plays offensively, his decisions in the offensive zone are still a bit slow, and he isn't using his shot enough.

To me, he needs to do this much in the long run, and I think he will. But the way he's currently playing doesn't strike me as "THIS IS FIRST OVERALL MATERIAL" yet. I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of people are pumping Slaf's tires like he's already incredible, it does feel like a positive echo chamber at times, but he's only early in his development process, he's doing well this season and showing good growth, but (imo) far from being "amazing" and "a star" yet.
Well I missed about 95% of Rehabs posts, so maybe I missed some decent takes, but the essence of his posts has been around his lack of production in Liiga, the reason why in his mind the kid had no offensive potential.

I think you are missing some good games, kid has had an impact almost every shifts since promoted to the top line, he is in the middle of the action and generating alot of scoring chances. He earned his promotion and has become one of our top 5 on 5 players, if not the best one lately. I agree that his release still needs work and his playmaking could be a bit more incisive at times, but this is a 19 yrs old kid, far from the finished product. He still makes alot of great plays out there, is much more confident with the puck on his stick and the confidence constantly growing. Kid is a puck possession player and is all about effectiveneness, not flashyness, if you are looking for those brillant cross ice passes like Will Smith or Cooley can do, you will be disappointed, this is not his game, on the other side, his game is much safer and less prone to turnovers or lower % attempts. He generates most of his offense through puck possession, thats his most predominant trait. He still remains incredibly skilled for a 6'3 230 lbs kid, you have to look at the global package and upside.

I think alot of posters pointed out the improvement in his games, the increased scoring chances generated and that the offensive production was inevitably upcoming,

Now that the offensive production is there, there goes Rehabs' last argument, I mean, his main argument I would say...

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Well I missed about 95% of Rehabs posts, so maybe I missed some decent takes, but the essence of his posts has been around his lack of production in Liiga, the reason why in his mind the kid had no offensive potential.

I think you are missing some good games, kid has had an impact almost every shifts since promoted to the top line, he is in the middle of the action and generating alot of scoring chances. He earned his promotion and has become one of our top 5 on 5 players, if not the best one lately. I agree that his release still needs work and his playmaking could be a bit more incisive at times, but this is a 19 yrs old kid, far from the finished product. He still makes alot of great plays out there, is much more confident with the puck on his stick and the confidence constantly growing. Kid is a puck possession player and is all about effectiveneness, not flashyness, if you are looking for those brillant cross ice passes like Will Smith or Cooley can do, you will be disappointed, this is not his game, on the other side, his game is much safer and less prone to turnovers or lower % attempts. He generates most of his offense through puck possession, thats his most predominant trait. He still remains incredibly skilled for a 6'3 230 lbs kid, you have to look at the global package and upside.

I think alot of posters pointed out the improvement in his games, the increased scoring chances generated and that the offensive production was inevitably upcoming,

Now that the offensive production is there, there goes Rehabs' last argument, I mean, his main argument I would say...
The biggest issue I have had with Rehabs is that he said we drafted wrong. He said that we were developing wrong. He doubled and tripled down on those assertions. He has spoken like he was the authority on this subject. Repeatedly bashed Hughes, MSL and whoever else in Habs management. I am okay if someone wants to go against the grain and offer a contrary opinion, but he has taken it a little too far. He is coming around and softening his stance on Slaf, but still hasn't crossed that line of humility and admitted that we were right to draft Slaf, and our team is developing him just right.

Side note, who ya got for 2024 Goldenhands? You are my most trusted draft predictor after the past two years!

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh

I mean, I love what I am seeing from Slaf right now and am very hopeful about his potential.

But in all objectivity, he will always remain a very weak 1st overall pick when compared to other years. But he could very well be the best player coming out of the 2022 draft, which means we may still have taken the right decision.

We will see :)

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

While being a gifted passer he needs to show he can convert his passes more regularly in assists which might mean just putting pucks on net.

I don’t think his decisions are slow but he freezes when he needs to shoot because there’s no pass outlet. And he obviously needs to put the puck on net several folds more.

To me, he needs to do this much in the long run, and I think he will.

I hope he will. I’m very excited by what I see. But he needs to maintain this over several games to show which element good luck plays in this improvement.

But the way he's currently playing doesn't strike me as "THIS IS FIRST OVERALL MATERIAL" yet.

He’s definitely not standard #1OA historic pedigree . I like him as a #1OA in 2022 because of value I put on his play outside his point totals. But I understand others still liking better Nemec or Cooley.

I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of people are pumping Slaf's tires like he's already incredible, it does feel like a positive echo chamber at times, but he's only early in his development process, he's doing well this season and showing good growth, but (imo) far from being "amazing" and "a star" yet.

Excluding his point totals, I’m “amazed” about his play. But the easiest way to becoming a “star” is he needs to bring up his production. To get there, he’ll need to be much more consistent offensively, which might mean fixing his shot release and stop using dump-passes (even the technically brilliant ones) as a safety blanket in the OZ.

Reactions: Guess

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Speaking of humility (@waitin425) , since Slafkovsky is soaring and enjoying exponential, parabolic growth (@Jaynki) and solved any questions there might be for his production (@Goldenhands) — defying my wrongheaded, and frankly a bit evil, expectations — there’s no harm in waiting a few months before celebrating Slafkovsky, Hughes, and everything Habs. Right? We’re on the right track (@Lafleurs Guy) so no harm in waiting until there’s even MORE success, in an even more definitive manner. Perhaps Slafkovsky will be on pace for over 29pts in a few weeks, then we can really start crowdfunding the statue to Kent Hughes for his genius.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Speaking of humility (@waitin425) , since Slafkovsky is soaring and enjoying exponential, parabolic growth (@Jaynki) and solved any questions there might be for his production (@Goldenhands) — defying my wrongheaded, and frankly a bit evil, expectations — there’s no harm in waiting a few months before celebrating Slafkovsky, Hughes, and everything Habs. Right? We’re on the right track (@Lafleurs Guy) so no harm in waiting until there’s even MORE success, in an even more definitive manner. Perhaps Slafkovsky will be on pace for over 29pts in a few weeks, then we can really start crowdfunding the statue to Kent Hughes for his genius.

Very funny and well crafted

Reactions: DAChampion

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
A++ for effort Expat!!! Merry Christmas man!

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
If you narrow it down to 1OV, yeah it’s not common, but if you include top 3, you see that big guys tend to take time : Thornton, Lecavalier, JVR, Dach, Byfield

I think that's fair when you add in the fact on most any other draft Slaf is usually a top 3 pick.

This doesn't make him not a 1st overall in his draft however.

I'm having a hard time watching him play wondering how the choice of picking him over others is seen as a negative. I guess it just comes down to preference. To me, we made the right pick with the greatest overall upside. And I went into that draft year thinking Wright was a slam dunk. But Dach + Slaf makes way more sense.

Dach, Slaf, Mesar, Beck, Hutson, looks like a incredibly encouraging draft to me.

Honestly how does anyone frown upon that?

I guess time will tell, but from the onset that seemed like really solid work for Hugo's first draft.

Last edited:

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Slaf scores sloppy goal + sloppy assist but effort counts! and dude nice perform in a tough game :thumbu:
You may call it a sloppy goal, I call it Slaf going hard to the net and creating chaos. Yeah, he got a lucky bounce but it doesn't happen without him crashing the net. I love these kinds of goals because it shows his willingness to get dirty and fight. He's showing much more of that lately which is one of the most encouraging signs imo. He's gonna be a beast

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, NOW we should wait and see…

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You may call it a sloppy goal, I call it Slaf going hard to the net and creating chaos. Yeah, he got a lucky bounce but it doesn't happen without him crashing the net. I love these kinds of goals because it shows his willingness to get dirty and fight. He's showing much more of that lately which is one of the most encouraging signs imo. He's gonna be a beast
Guys have made careers out of scoring dirty goals.

No doubt he’s a pass first player and that’s fine. But the more he shoots and goes to the front of the net, the more success he’ll have. He’s coming along very nicely but he’s still a work in progress.

By all accounts he seems to be highly coachable so that bodes well for him. If he starts parking himself in front of the net he’ll be really hard to contain.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Guys have made careers out of scoring dirty goals.

No doubt he’s a pass first player and that’s fine. But the more he shoots and goes to the front of the net, the more success he’ll have. He’s coming along very nicely but he’s still a work in progress.

By all accounts he seems to be highly coachable so that bodes well for him. If he starts parking himself in front of the net he’ll be really hard to contain.
Tim Kerr being the poster child. I swear he got more goals from bounces off his ass than his stick. Yeah we'd all prefer a sweet dangle or two followed by top cheese but a goal is a goal.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He’s getting the bounces right now. Which is something even the best players need when they’re snake bitten. The fact he came out in the Chicago game like a player who finally had the monkey off his shoulder is super encouraging.

Reactions: windycity

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Slaf also said in his last press after the chicago game that he’s happy to score from there but that he wants to score from a little more further out too obviously. It will come, he has the shot.

I don’t even think people realize he has a good one timer too.

Reactions: Guess and windycity

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Yeah, NOW we should wait and see…
Well, at this point in time, by any objective measure, the over the top celebration is premature. It’s completely fair to say Slaf has improved but he’s not yet arrived.

Unless you have a predetermined bias towards Kent Hughes — like you do — and think everything he does is correct and the best way to do it — like you do — and will ignore and dismiss any argument that challenges your priors — like you do — there is no need to announce the Slafkovsky project complete and start handing out ribbons and medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad