Player Discussion Joshua Roy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Clearly one of the 3 RWs in Anderson, Gallagher, Armia will (all?) be tried for that last top 6 spot

It shouldn't be any of them, but they sadly will try them first

Roy will get his chances eventually, he'll shine too, too good a hockey player not to
Armia had great chemistry with Newhook in the latter part of last year. I’d put him on the second line and get his value up. Gally on the third with DVO and Roy. As Roy develops switch him with Armia if he really stand out

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I have always prefer Joshua Roy over Farrell honestly. And one of the main reason, the size. I think, this is a lost pick to pick a forward at 5ft8. Unless, he has potential a la Lane Hutson, Cole Caufield or Jordan Dumais. Like they produce on a ridiculous pace. I personnally prefer to pick guys with size a la Xhekaj, Thorpe, Protz. There are no many 5 ft8 guy in the NHL, so there is no reason to draft many of them.

So Farrell?

D: USHL 7th in scoring 1.27 PPG
D+1: USHL 1st in scoring by 16 points 1.91 PPG
D+2: 15th in PPG NCAA (played 10-17 games less than others) 1.17 ppg
+ 1.5 PPG for OG team and 0.6 ppg for WC
D+3: 4th in NCAA 1.56 ppg

The only year he hasn't been a top point producer is this year in the AHL. Roy wasn't that much better production wise, but he's 1.5 years younger.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
So Farrell?

The only year he hasn't been a top point producer is this year in the AHL. Roy wasn't that much better production wise, but he's 1.5 years younger.
Farrell produced in the AHL until Roy got called up and the. Disappeared. That didn’t sit right with me. I feel looking at Farrell I see another Mesar. And neither of them I still confidence in me for the future in the organization.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Farrell produced in the AHL until Roy got called up and the. Disappeared. That didn’t sit right with me. I feel looking at Farrell I see another Mesar. And neither of them I still confidence in me for the future in the organization.

He produced in the AHL until he got hurt and then was still one Laval's better players in the push for the playoffs, his production could have been higher during that stretch if Houle didn't favor the vets so much in must score situations.

And no Farrell isn't another Mesar, Mesar has the higher offensive upside of Roy and Farrell but may not have their IQ and other elements of his game therefore is a top 6 or bust.

Farrell has always been a penalty killer and someone used by Hockey USA in the Olympics and Worlds to defend leads late in games. He isn't an offense only guy and can find a way in a bottom 6.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I'm saying this since 2 years for any young player paired with Dvo and Evans. Gally, Anderson Armia and Pezz doesn't help developp Roy, Ylonen, Heineman or any other. Having bad teamates who doesn't bring effort or are washed up is just a shut down developpment for youngsters They better developp in Laval or in almost any other league. Or what, they play in nhl but in a losing context where they damage their confidence and they have very limited ice, they are cut from the line-up if they make a mistake, that's sucks! I like if the Habs have better 3rd and 4th centers, at least one center per line who makes good play and the wingers developp to read the play. Monahan was fantastic for that. But it's like asking for the moon (moon, moonahan, lol)
Yes! same. People say I’m harsh on Evans for example because he “doesn’t hurt the team”; but those rookies coming up would progress so much more playing with talent, even end of career talent. Shadowing Anderson Gallagher Dvorak Evans types while trying to reach your offensive ceiling is such a bas idea. Also can’t be helping the org evaluate progress, seems unfair.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Yes! same. People say I’m harsh on Evans for example because he “doesn’t hurt the team”; but those rookies coming up would progress so much more playing with talent, even end of career talent. Shadowing Anderson Gallagher Dvorak Evans types while trying to reach your offensive ceiling is such a bas idea. Also can’t be helping the org evaluate progress, seems unfair.
evans is fine he's a 4th liner and a C , the other guys are playing 15 minutes + all season next year , embarassing

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
He produced in the AHL until he got hurt and then was still one Laval's better players in the push for the playoffs, his production could have been higher during that stretch if Houle didn't favor the vets so much in must score situations.

And no Farrell isn't another Mesar, Mesar has the higher offensive upside of Roy and Farrell but may not have their IQ and other elements of his game therefore is a top 6 or bust.

Farrell has always been a penalty killer and someone used by Hockey USA in the Olympics and Worlds to defend leads late in games. He isn't an offense only guy and can find a way in a bottom 6.
The way the team is shaping up I just don’t see Mesar fitting long term personally. As for Farrell, PK could be his thing which would be great. But how many contenders have 5’8 “ bottom six players? I’m having trouble thinking of many. I like Farrells skill, I just feel he’s going to get stuck in limbo

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
evans is fine he's a 4th liner and a C , the other guys are playing 15 minutes + all season next year , embarassing
He’s a centerman in the best league in the world. He can be proud. My point is I don’t want Mesar, Beck, Heinemann, any of them to emulate him, he makes no-one better. Feels like a sparring partner to get warmed up, not a guy kicks your ass at any stand out skill so you feel challenged. A staple bottom 6 guy but the team has one of the worst pk’s and is a bottom feeder at everything else. Good cost-controled compliment on a stacked team, but habs are the opposite right now.

Roy needs a Monahan type.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The way the team is shaping up I just don’t see Mesar fitting long term personally. As for Farrell, PK could be his thing which would be great. But how many contenders have 5’8 “ bottom six players? I’m having trouble thinking of many. I like Farrells skill, I just feel he’s going to get stuck in limbo

He probably doesn't which is fine, that is a good thing when it's more about the top 6 being too good to include him.. I'd say not many but that's because most smaller forwards tend to lean offense only, so not many would be used on the PK or defending leads as Farrell has throughout his career.

He might get stuck in limbo, again with Beck, Kapanen, Tuch, Florian Xhekaj etc. if they offer the same thing but with size, it's easy to see him out.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
So Farrell?

The problem is wich player in the NHL right now as the same pedigree than Farrell in term of size, production, age on a top 6…. Johnny Gaudreau had the same Farrell’s numbers (ushl, ncaa). but with a year younger. this is a huge difference.
And personnaly, I don’t really like 5 ft 8 guys on a 3rd or 4th line. Because, those are not producing enough to be on the top 6.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And Evans is like the 6th best forward on this team... Which is f***ing bonkers. The kids need help. I can't help but see frustration every time Nick has to do a presser after yet another dumb loss. It's demoralizing for them.
Yes he's fine as a 12/13th forward, right now he's in the top 9, that's not fine.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Unless Roy blows them away at camp, it’ll be Anderson. They have to try and get him going so he can be traded. There’s no way he’s starting on the 3rd line with that contract. Having Gally and Dvo there is already bad enough. They will give him every opportunity. Roy might get onto that line later though. It’s not idiotic. No one will take Anderson unless he shows something.
Been waiting a couple of years for Roy to stand out at camp with pretty low competition and it isn't happening, he isn't a guy you notice.

Reactions: bsl

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Sorry but Anderson doesn't belong near the top 2 lines. He not only didn't perform when given the chance but he also made his linemates worse.
He had his chance. He and Gallagher have seen their best days. Bury them on the 3rd line.
Agreed but what we think doesn’t matter. It’s asset management. They’re going to try and showcase him in the hope that someone will take him. Granted, if he’s an epic fail, then I totally agree that he doesn’t belong on the second line. My point was that I bet he’ll start the season there.

They literally played Roy over Anderson when they were both healthy last season. The second line completely fell apart the second Roy got injured.
To start the season? No. They gave Anderson the opportunity. I’d be shocked if they were content to bury that contract on the 3rd line to start the year.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Been waiting a couple of years for Roy to stand out at camp with pretty low competition and it isn't happening, he isn't a guy you notice.
I can see Roy as a Toffoli type. He’ll get his points and not hurt you, but he won’t get you out of your seat. Now, of course, we’ll see just how many points.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
To start the season? No. They gave Anderson the opportunity. I’d be shocked if they were content to bury that contract on the 3rd line to start the year.
Roy didn't start the season. Anderson was given many chances with the top line and failed miserably until they tried Slaf. Then after Roy had a couple of games in the NHL, they moved him into the top 6 where he played with Monahan until he got traded, and then Newhook before Roy got injured. They most definitely prioritized Roy over Anderson at that point. They are also playing 6.5 million Gallagher and 4.5 million Dvorak to be in the bottom 6. Just because they have expensive contracts doesn't mean they should be given unlimited chances, it's a large reason why Armia got waived last year.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Roy didn't start the season. Anderson was given many chances with the top line and failed miserably until they tried Slaf. Then after Roy had a couple of games in the NHL, they moved him into the top 6 where he played with Monahan until he got traded, and then Newhook before Roy got injured. They most definitely prioritized Roy over Anderson at that point. They are also playing 6.5 million Gallagher and 4.5 million Dvorak to be in the bottom 6. Just because they have expensive contracts doesn't mean they should be given unlimited chances, it's a large reason why Armia got waived last year.
That’s my point. Anderson was given many chances and to be fair, Roy played a lot on the 3rd with Armia, did he not? I don’t recall him getting that much time with Monahan but I could be wrong. And yes I know the other 2 on the 3rd, however, Dvo isn’t moving up because he’s a centre and Gally is pretty much retiring as a hab as his contract is the worst of the 3. At least Anderson could be moved if he’s playing halfway decent. They’ll have to eat some salary of course. Teams will want to see Anderson playing an offensive roll and getting ice time. I’m not saying he’ll be there all year, I’m saying that he’ll probably start there. Roy needs a bit more time to get acclimated anyway.

Reactions: bsl

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That’s my point. Anderson was given many chances and to be fair, Roy played a lot on the 3rd with Armia, did he not? I don’t recall him getting that much time with Monahan but I could be wrong. Roy needs a bit more time to get acclimated anyway.
Anderson got the chance in the top 6 to start the year (where Roy wasn't even on the team), not afterward. He was tried on the top line before Slaf, and since Slaf took over, Anderson wasn't really tried in the top 6. They could have put him back there instead of giving Roy a shot, but they didn't. Roy played some games with Monahan and frankly, they looked great together. Roy-Newhook-Armia was the second line before Roy got injured, leading to the 2nd line completely falling apart. Roy was the priority over Anderson to be in the top 6 after he played a couple of games in the bottom 6.

If we had the players, then sure you can ease Roy into a top 6 role. But we don't. Anderson/Gallagher/Armia should be closer to getting healthy scratched than being a key and consistent part of the top 6.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
That’s my point. Anderson was given many chances and to be fair, Roy played a lot on the 3rd with Armia, did he not? I don’t recall him getting that much time with Monahan but I could be wrong. And yes I know the other 2 on the 3rd, however, Dvo isn’t moving up because he’s a centre and Gally is pretty much retiring as a hab as his contract is the worst of the 3. At least Anderson could be moved if he’s playing halfway decent. They’ll have to eat some salary of course. Teams will want to see Anderson playing an offensive roll and getting ice time. I’m not saying he’ll be there all year, I’m saying that he’ll probably start there. Roy needs a bit more time to get acclimated anyway.
Gross. Anderson is not 22 he’s been failing consistently and completely at every chance he got, in his prime for a few years now. Dragging everyone down. I hope you are wrong and they just waive him to get rid of the contract and free up space. Everyone in the nhl knows exactly what he brings, no need to sabotage the hab top 6 to prove it again (and again, and again…).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Agreed but what we think doesn’t matter. It’s asset management. They’re going to try and showcase him in the hope that someone will take him. Granted, if he’s an epic fail, then I totally agree that he doesn’t belong on the second line. My point was that I bet he’ll start the season there.

Anderson can no longer play in the NHL. His IQ just can't do it. Great skater, big body, no hockey smarts. He won't rebound.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dragging your young hopeful and learning players down with a horrible, lazy vet like Anderson is a very good recipe for disaster.

Anderson and Gallagher are non-assets and they should be treated as such. We don't need to gain value from them.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Dragging your young hopeful and learning players down with a horrible, lazy vet like Anderson is a very good recipe for disaster.

Anderson and Gallagher are non-assets and they should be treated as such. We don't need to gain value from them.
I don't think Anderson is lazy. His whole game is skating, powering through players and hitting. He can no longer make a lot of contact because his body is too fragile. Anderson should not be worth a lot but there is no accounting for what GM's will prize. I expect Newhook and Roy to start on the 2nd line with Dach. Anderson only if Roy or Newhook aren't working out there.

Reactions: rickthegoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad