Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I expect Columbus to take a shot at almost any young player throughout the league that has to pass through waivers. They have the space, and the time frame to give them more ice time. Literally zero expectations, which was the case before August 29, even more so now.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Who we should be putting on waivers are players with contracts we’d like to get rid of: Jarry, Graves, Acciari, Hayes, Glass lol…hopefully someone bites

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Lots of predictions about our LW situation. Let's just see how camp plays out.

Beauvillier has a history of decent production but you can't ignore/minimize that 3 teams have given up on him in a year. I wouldn't exactly chisel him in stone on the 1st line. DOC may not have an ideal scoring line skillset but neither did Dupes - a player DOC has a fair bit in common with - and Crosby loved him.

P.S. I'll also reiterate that Robertson would make a nice target.

Still think Glass makes the most sense in the minors unless he shows real promise in camp. Easy to stash.
Yes, was thinking the same thing. DOC doesn't have the I don't have anything else to do so I'll wind up and blast a slap shot mentality (although neither is/was particularly creative), but he does have a lot of the other qualities that PD had. I will be surprised (but not shocked) if he isn't on L1 on opening night.

I think it's a stretch to believe that Sully will place McG on L1, and it remains to be seen if he'll make the team ("McG shows a lot of promise; he's got a great future with this team; his best option now is to play and hone his game for the NHL in WBS . . . " is certainly a possibility). But at least he got to play with the big kids today.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I just can't believe anyone is passing on Robertson because they are worried about 'wasting' DOC or Puusy.

Robertson has a higher pedigree than both and has produced at a higher pace at a younger age than both (including in significantly less ice time than DOC).

If they can get him relatively cheap, do it. Figure out the bottom 6 with your 10,000 different options later.

I feel like all of this talk about DOC being on the 3rd or 4th line ignores one thing - who do you play with Sid if not DOC?

I mean, I'll reserve legit judgement for camp but unless McGroarty comes in and steals the job, it's DOC's to lose.
I think this talk started with the Robertson talk.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Don’t they still have to trade someone to fit patches? I don’t see the leafs dealing with us, but I’d love to get someone like Robertson here.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Kinda doubt they’re actively looking to deal Robertson. Don’t trust Seravalli re: Leafs and the wording “good chance” doesn’t imply confidence.

IMO he probably heard something like “we’ll deal him if he doesn’t make the team over waiving him” and the. Seravalli personally thinks there is a good chance Robertson doesn’t make the team.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Kinda doubt they’re actively looking to deal Robertson. Don’t trust Seravalli re: Leafs and the wording “good chance” doesn’t imply confidence.

IMO he probably heard something like “we’ll deal him if he doesn’t make the team over waiving him” and the. Seravalli personally thinks there is a good chance Robertson doesn’t make the team.
I believe he's available for trade. I feel like there's been enough smoke there all offseason, not just Seravalli's tweet.

The thing is, the Leafs have all the leverage since he'll still be a RFA. They can set their asking price high and tell teams to go pound sand if they don't want to meet it....and I wouldn't be surprised if they set it even higher for Dubas.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I believe he's available for trade. I feel like there's been enough smoke there all offseason, not just Seravalli's tweet.

The thing is, the Leafs have all the leverage since he'll still be a RFA. They can set their asking price high and tell teams to go pound sand if they don't want to meet it....and I wouldn't be surprised if they set it even higher for Dubas.
Yeah I get why you sign him. Team was smart to flex leverage here and not accommodate a trade.

and yeah also agree on bolded - why is another reason why I don’t understand how it’s more likely than not. I’m sure they want close to a 1st (similar to DAL - NYR trade for Lundkqvist).

I just feel like you are catering to the player you just played hardball with to set a precedent in similar situations going forward; and probably not getting full value because of his waiver status if you try to deal him now. I don’t think it’s impossible. It’s just hard for me to see how it’s likely. Maybe I’m wrong.

Also agree there is probably a Dubas tax in this specific scenario. But I’d love it. He was who I wanted the Pens to draft that year.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah I get why you sign him. Team was smart to flex leverage here and not accommodate a trade.

and yeah also agree on bolded - why is another reason why I don’t understand how it’s more likely than not. I’m sure they want close to a 1st (similar to DAL - NYR trade for Lundkqvist).

I just feel like you are catering to the player you just played hardball with to set a precedent in similar situations going forward; and probably not getting full value because of his waiver status if you try to deal him now. I don’t think it’s impossible. It’s just hard for me to see how it’s likely. Maybe I’m wrong.

Also agree there is probably a Dubas tax in this specific scenario. But I’d love it. He was who I wanted the Pens to draft that year.
I'd be willing to pay a 1st to be honest. He's only 22, is a breakout candidate if given an elevated role IMO, and fills the biggest hole on the current roster.

I know the common thought process around here is to not give up a 1st because we're going to be a lottery team, but I think it's more likely they are a bubble team again. A mid-1st for a 22 year old who could breakout seems pretty fair to me.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd be willing to pay a 1st to be honest. He's only 22, is a breakout candidate if given an elevated role IMO, and fills the biggest hole on the current roster.

I know the common thought process around here is to not give up a 1st because we're going to be a lottery team, but I think it's more likely they are a bubble team again. A mid-1st for a 22 year old who could breakout seems pretty fair to me.

A 1st is insane.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I think it’s tough to do a 1st with where we are at.

I’d probably do it if you could guarantee we pick 14th or later - but even as a huge fan of Robertson you’re starting to push it around there and moving towards the 10 OA pick. Even if they have similar careers, the ‘25 1st pick is 6 drafts younger than Robertson (he turned 23 today).

And as much as I like him (and he plays very hard), a small winger is still the least valued and easiest to find top of the lineup option there is. I’d feel different if this was a 6’2 center or a RHD.

Then if a bad season goes down you’re deferring the 1st to ‘26.. idk. I wouldn’t hate it but I don’t have the balls to make that move and I’m not sure his profile is worth risking the worst case scenario. If the Pens have a bad year you really need him to be a superstar 70 + point guy for the move to be worth it. I see him more as a long term NHLer that plays hard and flirts with 30 gs in his best years, kind of like a more skilled Zucker, but not an offensive dynamo.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Noice…from Taylor this am from informal practice…

Gooooood morning from the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex. I'll keep you posted on updates from today's informal skate below.

• A couple of new faces here who weren't here yesterday, including Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jack St. Ivany.

Jeff Carter is still serving as one of the coaches for this.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

This is risky given the Pens have missed the playoffs in b2b years. Imagine giving up a top 10 pick for Nick Robertson… Also, I’d hope we could get a higher ceiling player if we’re dealing a 1st.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
Odd move from TML if they trade Robertson for cap space to sign Pacioretty. Looking at their cap, the only UFAs they will have next year are Marner and Tavares, with Knies becoming an RFA. Unless they know Tavares is coming back cheap or they plan to let him walk, they are in hell.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Agreed. We just traded a 14th OA for McGroarty, who projects to be a middle-six winger.
Through 87 games Robertson's scoring like a good top-sixer relative to his minutes. So at least with this player there's some proof he can do it at this level already.

Plus there's value in his super cheap cap hit. It allows you the flexibility to do other things. You won't need to use a retention spot on him if you trade him at the deadline.
If he's good again here then you control his rights and can re-sign him. Then you pump up his value and get back what you lost later.

His points would look better if he got PP time and wasn't only averaging 11:02 a night. Keefe took issue with his defending.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
According to Taylor, some line combos (split into two teams, not sure which set of players is with which)....in other words, Sullivan dreamed up a line combo that really f**ks Geno…what a surprise lol…also says for every drill Geno has been with Hayes lol

Drew O'Connor-Sidney Crosby-Bryan Rust
Anthony Beauvillier-Evgeni Malkin-Kevin Hayes
Michael Bunting-Lars Eller-Rickard Rakell
Jesse Puljujarvi-Noel Acciari-Valtteri Puustinen

Sideline

May 23, 2004
According to Taylor, some line combos (split into two teams, not sure which set of players is with which)....in other words, Sullivan dreamed up a line combo that really f**ks Geno…what a surprise lol

That is such a troll job on Geno. I'm probably one of Eller's biggest fans here, but he should not be getting 2 of the 4 best winger options.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
According to Taylor, some line combos (split into two teams, not sure which set of players is with which)....in other words, Sullivan dreamed up a line combo that really f**ks Geno…what a surprise lol…also says for every drill Geno has been with Hayes lol

I hate it, thanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
These sessions are informal skates that aren’t even being run by Sullivan, it takes a huge jump to act like any line they’re using now is set in stone.
Sullivan gives instructions on what to work on and who he wants to see with whom…he’s mentioned this in the past…doesn’t mean it will be the opening lineup but he definitely wants to see Hayes work with Geno, probably because the latter needs face off help on his line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad