Player Discussion Joshua Roy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Been waiting a couple of years for Roy to stand out at camp with pretty low competition and it isn't happening, he isn't a guy you notice.
I paid close attention to Roy during the last camp.

He played one game with Monahan and X (Dach?) and looked great.

Then he played the rest of the camp with Beck and Ylonen. Beck was having a really bad camp and was dragging the whole line down. The play always died on his stick. Ylonen was already himself, useless and savorless.

I was pissed that he wasn't put back with top6 guys but the new regime mentra is clear, go pay your dues in AHL first.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
So how was he a decent nhl player prior to last season?
Anderson’s one trick is getting a pass in his own zone, accelerating and flying around the D to the net for a shot. I used to be really impressed, he’s quite a specimen.. In a system where players are asked to make reads and react, he has looked completely lost for a long time now and quite consistently. It’s like he has no anticipation or ability to improvise.

Roy is kind of the opposite; average wheels and all iq/hands. It might be a question of context for both to have success; I feel Roy is potentially much more interesting with the habs.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think you should take a look around the league.

He's a typical 4th line center. That's exactly what a 4th liner looks like on most teams. He's a solid player for the role he plays.
I don't want typical in his role. We are the CH Habs, most Cups won in the NHL history. We need best players at each position. We can't win anything with average/typical. Cup winners are better than "typical".

Solid and Evans doesn't belong in the same sentence, lol. Evans body and play are soft, the opposite of solid.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't want typical in his role. We are the CH Habs, most Cups won in the NHL history. We need best players at each position. We can't win anything with average/typical. Cup winners are better than "typical".

Solid and Evans doesn't belong in the same sentence, lol. Evans body and play are soft, the contrary of strong.
I’m good with Sidney Crosby on the 4th line too…

• Haha
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Crosby not a 4th liner? But that's what you wrote previously.
You are god so I take your worrd. I am nothing but a small worrm comparred to you my grrand master. ;)
If you're going to use a counter example, then use a 4th liner.

This is the whole point... you say Evans isn't good enough. Okay, what the heck do you expect?

Jake Evans logs really tough minutes. 75 percent of the time he starts in the defensive zone and he's a decent faceoff guy. I'm not sure what you're expecting from a 4th liner.

"This is Montreal we deserve better" isn't saying anyting. What the heck do you expect a 4th liner to look like?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

This is the whole point... you say Evans isn't good enough. Okay, what the heck do you expect?

Jake Evans logs really tough minutes. 75 percent of the time he starts in the defensive zone and he's a decent faceoff guy. I'm not sure what you're expecting from a 4th liner.

"This is Montreal we deserve better" isn't saying anyting. What the heck do you expect a 4th liner to look like?
Evans is at cross roads this end of season 24-25. So HuGo will let him walk, trade him or resign him. He is playing for ridiculous low price now. A bargain deal by "Bargainbin" Bergevin. I mean, it's fine for what he's done so far, for that price. But my point is to not have the best production/money by all accounts. I want Habs to have a better 4th center because some prospects start playing on the 4th line or the 3rd. Actually the 3rd center is Dvorak and the 4th C is Evans. They both aren't good to developp wingers. The best 4th lines I saw in my hockey fan life are those who plays a physical game, in your face. The opposite team is happy their shift is over and long term opposite teams make mistakes and are tired, physicly and mentally. This is the typical 4th line that I like and usually this is a winning combinaison.

I don't have the team and the time myself to make research who can we target to get in a trade or sign ufa. You guys do that all the time and nhl teams have specialized teams to do that. I just share the idea to improve the 4th line, not resign Evans and get someone better, willing to pay more than 1,7 M. Resign Evans means his contract will be too long. I would accept a 2 year deal and I doubt Evans will accept it. The last time a prospect started as a 4th center I liked him a lot and it was Suzuki. I would like they try one of Beck or Mysak or anyone the organisation feels is ready.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Evans is at cross roads this end of season 24-25. So HuGo will let him walk, trade him or resign him. He is playing for ridiculous low price now. A bargain deal by "Bargainbin" Bergevin. I mean, it's fine for what he's done so far, for that price. But my point is to not have the best production/money by all accounts. I want Habs to have a better 4th center because some prospects start playing on the 4th line or the 3rd. Actually the 3rd center is Dvorak and the 4th C is Evans. They both aren't good to developp wingers. The best 4th lines I saw in my hockey fan life are those who plays a physical game, in your face. The opposite team is happy their shift is over and long term opposite teams make mistakes and are tired, physicly and mentally. This is the typical 4th line that I like and usually this is a winning combinaison.

I don't have the team and the time myself to make research who can we target to get in a trade or sign ufa. You guys do that all the time and nhl teams have specialized teams to do that. I just share the idea to improve the 4th line, not resign Evans and get someone better, willing to pay more than 1,7 M. Resign Evans means his contract will be too long. I would accept a 2 year deal and I doubt Evans will accept it. The last time a prospect started as a 4th center I liked him a lot and it was Suzuki. I would like they try one of Beck or Mysak or anyone the organisation feels is ready.
I think Beck is very likely our 3rd line guy going forward. I can see Roy and Newhook as a strong third line in the future (although Roy may wind up in the top six long term.)

As for Evans, I don't share your opinion that he's not a solid number four. I'm be just fine with him on the fourth but I don't think anyone's married to him. I'm not aware of anyone in the system that would be able to replace him but he's not irrecplaceable. If we replace him... cool. But I don't think he needs replacing the way you seem to.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What is it about Anderson that caused him to decline? He was decent in the COVID year, scoring at a healthy rate and helping the Habs.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
What is it about Anderson that caused him to decline? He was decent in the COVID year, scoring at a healthy rate and helping the Habs.

He didn't decline, pretty sure it was just an outlier year and he'll go back to being a 20 goalscorer.

The issue was mental/confidence last season. He was very unlucky, then his confidence went down, and he never fully got it back. At some point, the habs were clearly out of the playoffs and he just checked out.

A summer to reset his mind is exactly what he needs.

Reactions: DAChampion

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He didn't decline, pretty sure it was just an outlier year and he'll go back to being a 20 goalscorer.

The issue was mental/confidence last season. He was very unlucky, then his confidence went down, and he never fully got it back. At some point, the habs were clearly out of the playoffs and he just checked out.

A summer to reset his mind is exactly what he needs.
Tools, no tool box. No hockey IQ.

Reactions: Naslundforever

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I’m good with Sidney Crosby on the 4th line too…
Doug Risebrough had some good years during the 1976-79 dynasty. Would have been third liner on typical teams.

Skrudland was a 3rd line C.

Dave Balon was the 4C for 3 years in the 1965-1969 dynasty. Evans is equally good. However, @Catanddogguitarrr might be 1000% right that Balon was not good enough, because in 1967, the Habs lost in the 2nd round and Balon could not prevent it, scoring 0 playoff goals. He was fired in the off-season for that sin.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

I can recognize Evans’ skillset and affirm I would prefer a player with some standout skill, someone usefull in specific situations (not “can fill the role”, but have a positive impact). He looks fun to play against. And He will def not make any rookies like Roy better, or anyone. I hate hab bottom 6, pk sucks, soft as heck and not a single one is better than opposition on the ice situationally.

Anyway highjacking Roy thread. Kid needs centers with skill.

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

same. I’d feel safe icing kittens holding some near extinct unhatched exotic bird eggs against this guy. And no goalie.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I hope they give him a shot on the top line this year. Drop Caufield down to Dach with Newhook.

Let's see what Roy and Newhook can bring. Ideally, they show both show top 6 upside and eventually slot on our 3rd line as utility players that can easily plug into the top 6.

2024-25

Slaf - Suzuki - Roy
Newhook - Dach - Caufield
Anderson - Dvorak - Armia
RHP - Evans - Gally

2025-26

Slaf - Suzuki - Demi
UFA - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Beck - Roy
Anderson - Short term UFA - Gally

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If you pay a premiere 4C then you have less money for the rest of your roster.. citing previous Habs cup winning teams is irrelevant because that all happened pre-salary cap.

4Cs have a job to do and Evans does those bit roles well enough at the price point you want, for it to be a non-issue. If you can upgrade there and do it for around the same money, no one would care if they did it. Isolating him as an issue is a problem because he's not and there's far more important parts of a roster to allocate money, focus and attention to that would have a bigger net impact than replacing Jake Evans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad