Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I doubt he plays enough games for Laval to get there. I'm wondering if I could put some bets on the size of our IR this season.

At this point with the RHP, I don't expect him to play any games in the AHL unless we get 2+ forwards in deals by puck drop.

It's still more possible than Roy posting 60 points in the NHL in 2024-2025.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Yeah, entirely possible. I expect they flirt with 60 if theyre both healthy.
These are high expectations. Maybe for Dach if healthy. If Roy was to score that this season, with how young he is, he would prove even most of his most enthusiastic fans wrong (as in, not enthusiastic enough).

Edit: For what it's worth 50-60 points for Dach would be a very nice season coming back from injury and proving he is still the guy he was pre injuries. Roy with 35 would be a good season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
These are high expectations. Maybe for Dach if healthy. If Roy was to score that this season, with how young he is, he would prove even most of his most enthusiastic fans wrong (as in, not enthusiastic enough).

Edit: For what it's worth 50-60 points for Dach would be a very nice season coming back from injury and proving he is still the guy he was pre injuries. Roy with 35 would be a good season.
Roy was on pace for that last year as a rookie on a very, very bad team.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Nah he was on .4 in the NHL, 0.78 in the AHL (60 pts). But yeah, the most probable scenario is he will improve to 0.6-0.8
Hey, I won't fight you too hard on this as I would be thrilled, but I think this is the most optimistic scenario and not the most probable one.

This years' team won't be much better than last year's, so that won't change much. As for progress, 2nd year pro tend to go into has many lulls as rookies, hence the perceived 2nd year funk. Most non-exceptionals know some struggles in their first 2-3 years in the league as they learn to manoeuvre the best league in the world. I highly doubt Roy's development will magically be linear while everyone else knows growing pains.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hey, I won't fight you too hard on this as I would be thrilled, but I think this is the most optimistic scenario and not the most probable one.

This years' team won't be much better than last year's, so that won't change much. As for progress, 2nd year pro tend to go into has many lulls as rookies, hence the perceived 2nd year funk. Most non-exceptionals know some struggles in their first 2-3 years in the league as they learn to manoeuvre the best league in the world. I highly doubt Roy's development will magically be linear while everyone else knows growing pains.
He ran into troubles this year, injuries, getting yanked up and down, playoff hopes crushed, scoring woes, etc. It's his 2nd year as a pro but he's had a "long" year.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Good player here guys, but I do think, we need to temper expectations this upcoming season.
Take a look at his AHL year last year, month by month......not to mention he only came up because of injuries.
He is to me, a part of our Top 9 in the next season or two........can he make the top 6 in my view, no other than injuries again.

I hope I am wrong.....

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don’t have much expectations for Roy this year. I think he’s undoubtedly an NHLer. Hes not a top 6 at this point though, but he should be given an opportunity to show he can be.
Next year may be Roy’s last opportunity to earn a top six role on this team. With Suzuki, Caufield , Slafkovsky and Dach already penciled in, Demidov and Hage on the horizon, the Canadiens having 3 first and 3 second draft choices over the next two years and the probability that Hughes will be adding one or two high priced forwards through free agency and /or trade, there may be no room for Roy on the top two lines. It may well be that Roy’s greatest contribution to the team will be on the trade market.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Next year may be Roy’s last opportunity to earn a top six role on this team. With Suzuki, Caufield , Slafkovsky and Dach already penciled in, Demidov and Hage on the horizon, the Canadiens having 3 first and 3 second draft choices over the next two years and the probability that Hughes will be adding one or two high priced forwards through free agency and trade, there may be no room for Roy on the top two lines. It may well be that Roy’s greatest contribution to the team will be on the trade market.
I don’t think Roy will be traded. He’s a young talented French player. Habs will be able to have him at a reasonable contract for years so I don’t see him going anywhere.

I really hope they play him in the top six this year. That’s where he belongs for now. Let him develop with better players. Long term I think he’s on the third with Beck and Newhook on what should be an outstanding third line.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don’t think Roy will be traded. He’s a young talented French player. Habs will be able to have him at a reasonable contract for years so I don’t see him going anywhere.

I really hope they play him in the top six this year. That’s where he belongs for now. Let him develop with better players. Long term I think he’s on the third with Beck and Newhook on what should be an outstanding third line.

Plus Roy has shown that he's evovled his game enough to be able to play on a 3rd line.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Plus Roy has shown that he's evovled his game enough to be able to play on a 3rd line.
Interesting to listen to Hugo too. He’s talked about building a team where you don’t know which line is the first and which is the 4th.

You may see combos like Beck with Slaf, Cc with Dach and Suzuki with Demidov. We might just scramble everything so it’s balanced everywhere.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

What’s interesting with Roy is he seems unbothered by the market / pressure right now. In fact, he seems to thrive in it. Time will tell.

I’m very high on him. I don’t think 35-40pts is out of the question for him this year.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What’s interesting with Roy is he seems unbothered by the market / pressure right now. In fact, he seems to thrive in it. Time will tell.

I’m very high on him. I don’t think 35-40pts is out of the question for him this year.
If that line can stay healthy I think he can put up 40.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Except theres zero pressure on him , like absolutely none.

The market has had the least pressure maybe in its history , everybody knows we are rebuilding and roy isn't a core piece. He might have some pressure on him if he ever becomes a top 6er , but even if he's a third liner , i don't see any type of pressure on this kid.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I don’t have much expectations for Roy this year. I think he’s undoubtedly an NHLer. Hes not a top 6 at this point though, but he should be given an opportunity to show he can be.
I think Roy and others like Newhook are linked to Dach. If Dach is there, Roy will improve, even if Roy is not pairing with Dach. The complete team depends on Dach. There is no Monahan this year so if Dach gets injured again the second center will be Newhook, Dvo is 3 C and Evans 4 C. The complete team will have many players in the wrong chair. We already have Anderson who is horrible in turnovers and useless plays, Gallagher is exhausted after 20 seconds of play, Armia is lazy, Pezz doesn't belong to the nhl, Evans is barelly an nhler and Dvorak is crap.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Next year may be Roy’s last opportunity to earn a top six role on this team. With Suzuki, Caufield , Slafkovsky and Dach already penciled in, Demidov and Hage on the horizon, the Canadiens having 3 first and 3 second draft choices over the next two years and the probability that Hughes will be adding one or two high priced forwards through free agency and trade, there may be no room for Roy on the top two lines. It may well be that Roy’s greatest contribution to the team will be on the trade market.

He can be on the 3rd line for quite a few years.

We need to stop thinking about the 3rd line as a punition. Good teams have strong 3rd lines that make a difference.

Roy - Newhook - Beck sounds like a line that could compete with the opposition top 6 lines, giving our 1st/2nd line more space to maneuver. And then when we have top 6 injuries (always happen even to the best teams, these guys must be relied upon to become top 6s.)

Also, the way we've signed our top forwards, looks like we'll have some cap flexibility to have some real $ for the 3rd liners.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
The thing with Roy, is that he will be incredibly productive with talented linesmates. He’s got such above average hockey IQ that playing him with guys like Armia-Gallagher- Anderson Dvorak and the likes would be such a waste of his potential. Sure, he has great anticipation and can kill plays and create turnovers, but he needs guys to play with that mental processing speed to keep up.
A full season in the top 6 and 60 pts next year would not be a surprise.
Line him up with Gallagher and Dvorak ? Watch them crash the net and be oblivious to what the kid is setting up….. 25 pts tops on a 3rd line.

Reactions: Toene

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The thing with Roy, is that he will be incredibly productive with talented linesmates. He’s got such above average hockey IQ that playing him with guys like Armia-Gallagher- Anderson Dvorak and the likes would be such a waste of his potential. Sure, he has great anticipation and can kill plays and create turnovers, but he needs guys to play with that mental processing speed to keep up.
A full season in the top 6 and 60 pts next year would not be a surprise.
Line him up with Gallagher and Dvorak ? Watch them crash the net and be oblivious to what the kid is setting up….. 25 pts tops on a 3rd line.

He won't play with Armia/Gallagher/Anderson/Dvorak much, maybe this year a bit, after that the young guns will start arriving and Roy will be a stabilizing force.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad