Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
LOL.....Martineau is a clueless hack, at least in terms of scouting acumen.

I haven't seen Roy yet but I guarantee you he is not a fast player now and likely has made modest gains at the very most. This incompetence from sports journalists has been happening forever in Montreal going back to Ribeiro and Latendresse.

I would love for this to be true but I just know it isn't.
yeah I don’t know how to sugar coat it for the masses but after watching him live a number of times last season and at the WJC & the Q PO he just isn’t a talented skater. I like him and he is extremely versatile in all aspects of the game however he was middle of the pack on his own team regarding speed & edgework. This isn’t Luc Robitaille’s NHL but I’m still holding out hope Roy can make the big club down the road.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Roy reminds me of Ribeiro, not a fast skater but extremely high offensive IQ and slick hands. Remains to be seen if this type of finesse game can still be succesfully used in today's NHL. This season I'd like to see more effort and commitment without the puck, on the defensive side of things. He's basically useless without the puck, too slow not much hustle.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
yeah I don’t know how to sugar coat it for the masses but after watching him live a number of times last season and at the WJC & the Q PO he just isn’t a talented skater. I like him and he is extremely versatile in all aspects of the game however he was middle of the pack on his own team regarding speed & edgework. This isn’t Luc Robitaille’s NHL but I’m still holding out hope Roy can make the big club down the road.
I like Roy alot and am hopeful that his IQ/instincts will compensate for his lack of speed much like Tyler Toffoli has shown throughout his career. These claims of sudden incredible skating gains are all too familiar on this board at this time of year though.

Skating will almost certainly always be the weakest link in his skillset and fans should learn to accept that rather drinking the fictional copium.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Roy reminds me of Ribeiro, not a fast skater but extremely high offensive IQ and slick hands. Remains to be seen if this type of finesse game can still be succesfully used in today's NHL. This season I'd like to see more effort and commitment without the puck, on the defensive side of things. He's basically useless without the puck, too slow not much hustle.

He certainly is not useless without the puck as that is one of his strongest points as his anticipation and IQ put him in great places to receive the puck and intercept/disrupt opposition passes/strategies. Obviously he is in trouble if he gets beat but the same can be said for faster players who do not read/anticipate the play well.

The caveat is that he has shown to be incredibly effective at the junior level but hasn't proven anything at the pro level yet. I am incredibly interested to see how quickly he can adapt to the pro game or if the jump proves to be too much.

If I was forced to bet on Roy being at least a quality third liner I would take that bet.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

When J Roy is motivated and focus'd, he's a hell of a forechecker and is committed without the puck. He does it on the big stage.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

When J Roy is motivated and focus'd, he's a hell of a forechecker and is committed without the puck. He does it on the big stage.

Theres a very distinct crowd that like to rag on Roy and paint him as a bad skating primma donna Jonathan Drouin style player. Im not sure why lol, he's probably the best two-way forward in our prospect pool and he's nowhere near the bad skater they make him out to be.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Theres a very distinct crowd that like to rag on Roy and paint him as a bad skating primma donna Jonathan Drouin style player. Im not sure why lol, he's probably the best two-way forward in our prospect pool and he's nowhere near the bad skater they make him out to be.
I really like his game now. He demonstrated at the WJHC that he can be a two-way forward with good defensive awareness and hustle. Before, i figured he was top-6 or bust. Now he can fit in anywhere in the lineup. I think he will play a year in the AHL before making the jump.

Reactions: 1909

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I saw that clip a while back. He looks great.

The best thing I’ve seen is that he seems to be coachable. He’s worked hard to address his weaknesses and all he’s done is progress. I can’t expect too much but I’m really hopeful for him.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I think that title belong to Beck,no?

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Im not sure. Both are great. Roy is good like Stone and Zetterberg, Beck is good like a typical grinderish 2 way center.
Isn't Stone the best defensive winger in the NHL? That's quite the comparable!

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I saw that clip a while back. He looks great.

The best thing I’ve seen is that he seems to be coachable. He’s worked hard to address his weaknesses and all he’s done is progress. I can’t expect too much but I’m really hopeful for him.
Roy works hard on his weaknesses. I expect his skating to improve.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Last night is the type of game he could have shown out in (like Mesar should have as well).. I was surprised with his quiet performance but expecting more today.

Reactions: DAChampion

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Last night is the type of game he could have shown out in (like Mesar should have as well).. I was surprised with his quiet performance but expecting more today.

Lethal around the net and did some pking, that's pretty much his game. What else are we expecting?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I don't think there is massive NHL upside there to be honest.

He is part of our group of plethora of B prospects and i don't see so far what distinguish himself from the others.

Beck feels like a way stronger bet to make the NHL than Roy.

Reactions: Ezpz

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I haven’t seen anyone rag on him.

And he and Drouin are completely different players. I don’t think they can be compared at all.

I’m truly excited about this kid. He’d have been a first rounder for sure. Getting him in the 5th is such a steal.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't think there is massive NHL upside there to be honest.

He is part of our group of plethora of B prospects and i don't see so far what distinguish himself from the others.

Beck feels like a way stronger bet to make the NHL than Roy.
I think the Q is just a garbage league currently and Roy's hype will fade quickly. I also don't see any world in which Dumais become a good NHLer despite his talent at the junior level. There was that infographic breakdown that Columbus or one of their affiliates shared on twitter that showed Dumais' production by opponent, and he was putting up like 240% more points against non-playoff teams than he was playoff teams and was pretty bad in the playoffs for them.

Back to Roy, I didn't watch the game but he should be working with a skating coach full-time if he wants to make the NHL. Smart, effective players don't make the NHL if they can't keep up with the play. His talent level isn't even undeniable like Nick Suzuki where he reads the play at an elite level and can overcome his deficiencies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think the Q is just a garbage league currently and Roy's hype will fade quickly. I also don't see any world in which Dumais become a good NHLer despite his talent at the junior level. There was that infographic breakdown that Columbus or one of their affiliates shared on twitter that showed Dumais' production by opponent, and he was putting up like 240% more points against non-playoff teams than he was playoff teams and was pretty bad in the playoffs for them.

Back to Roy, I didn't watch the game but he should be working with a skating coach full-time if he wants to make the NHL. Smart, effective players don't make the NHL if they can't keep up with the play. His talent level isn't even undeniable like Nick Suzuki where he reads the play at an elite level and can overcome his deficiencies.
The Q may be a garbage league but that doesn’t mean every player in it is. He’s totally dominated it. And he’s done nothing but improve.

Clearly not a blue chip star player. But the potential is there. Let’s see how he does in the AHL.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The Q may be a garbage league but that doesn’t mean every player in it is. He’s totally dominated it. And he’s done nothing but improve.

Clearly not a blue chip star player. But the potential is there. Let’s see how he does in the AHL.
Oh yeah I have faith in him since he was not great defensively in his draft year but has worked a great deal on improving, I just don't think he was ever in contention to make the league at 19, 20, or 21 like many here believed. From all reports he is dedicated to addressing his weaknesses, and there's no rush for him to make the NHL at the moment so he could have two to three years of working with our skills coaches directly (I'm assuming we have a skating coach in Laval). Smart players are worth investing more into than dumb ones.

I would love to let all the forwards cook in Laval for a while. I hate rushing guys into the league and pigeonholing them into roles they could be better than. Like Lehkonen--I don't know how he went from the best goal scoring prospect we had to a defensive fourth liner under two and a half coaches. At the same time, if we are transitioning into trying to make the playoffs next year, I have no qualms about trading a guy like Roy for help if another team overvalues him. I don't think he has value though so just let him cook like RHP and Ylonen.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh yeah I have faith in him since he was not great defensively in his draft year but has worked a great deal on improving, I just don't think he was ever in contention to make the league at 19, 20, or 21 like many here believed. From all reports he is dedicated to addressing his weaknesses, and there's no rush for him to make the NHL at the moment so he could have two to three years of working with our skills coaches directly (I'm assuming we have a skating coach in Laval). Smart players are worth investing more into than dumb ones.

I would love to let all the forwards cook in Laval for a while. I hate rushing guys into the league and pigeonholing them into roles they could be better than. Like Lehkonen--I don't know how he went from the best goal scoring prospect we had to a defensive fourth liner under two and a half coaches. At the same time, if we are transitioning into trying to make the playoffs next year, I have no qualms about trading a guy like Roy for help if another team overvalues him. I don't think he has value though so just let him cook like RHP and Ylonen.
Agreed. His time in the minors has served him very well.

And I have no doubt we’d have called him up already under MB. Then we’d have played him on the 4th line.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad