Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Just to show how unjustified the rank at which Roy ended up being picked. Look at this list of players that were picked first overall in the Q since Mario Lemieux in 1981. Only two went undrafted afterward in the NHL, and from the 39 that were drafted in the NHL, Roy is dead last at #150. Only three other were picked outside of the top-100. It clearly shows how Roy's very low ranking is a special case of awful group thinking. A very negative tag was placed on this kid, and up to this day, he still fights to get rid of it. When you think about guys like Tony De Angelo and Ryan Merkley that had enormous red flags, and went around #20 anyway. It's hard to understand. Remember, Roy was a 2 points per game in the Midget AAA. The elite talent was clear early on.

1981: Laval – Mario Lemieux #1 overall
1982: Québec – Sylvain Coté #11 overall
1983: Drummondville – José Charbonneau #12 overall
1984: Trois-Rivières – Martin Desjardins #75 overall
1985: Granby – Pierre Turgeon #1 overall
1986: Longueuil – Yves Racine #11 overall
1987: Verdun – Martin St-Amour #34 overall
1988: Verdun – Pierre Sévigny #51 overall
1989: Verdun – Patrick Poulin #9 overall
1990: Drummondville – René Corbet #24 overall
1991: Victoriaville – Alexandre Daigle #1 overall
1992: Victoriaville – Cosmo Dupaul #91 overall
1993: Val d’Or – Stéphane Roy #68 overall
1994: Halifax – Étienne Drapeau #99 overall
1995: Moncton – Pierre Dagenais #47 overall
1996: Laval – Jonathan Girard #48 overall
1997: Baie-Comeau – Jonathan Gautier (undrafted)
1998: Baie-Comeau – Yanick Lehoux #86 overall
1999: Montréal – Chris Montgomery (undrafted)
2000: Val d’Or – Maxime Daigneault #59 overall
2001: Moncton – Steve Bernier #16 overall
2002: Sherbrooke – Alex Bourret #16 overall
2003: Rimouski – Sidney Crosby #1 overall
2004: Cap-Breton – James Sheppard #9 overall
2005: Saint-John – Alex Grant #118 overall
2006: Saint-John – Yann Sauvé #41 overall
2007: Saint-John – Simon Desprès #30 overall
2008: Moncton – Brandon Gormley #13 overall
2009: Val d’Or – Olivier Archambault #108 overall
2010: Lewiston – Dillon Fournier #48 overall
2011: Baie-Comeau – Nathan MacKinnon #1 overall
2012: Sherbrooke – Daniel Audette #147 overall
2013: Cap-Breton – Nicolas Roy #96 overall
2014: Saint-John – Luke Green #79 overall
2015: Saint-John – Joseph Veleno #30 overall
2016: Halifax – Benoit-Olivier Groulx #54 overall
2017: Rimouski – Alexis Lafrenière #1 overall
2018: Chicoutimi – Hendrix Lapierre #22 overall
2019: Saint John – Joshua Roy #150 overall
2020: Gatineau – Tristan Luneau #53 overall
2021: Sherbrooke – Ethan Gautier projected in 1st round
That list doesn't necessarily support your argument as it is full of busts.

Jul 6, 2016
Tough one to call. I think the Mooseheads D can be broken but their forward group is very talented. I haven't seen much of the Phoenix to know their team that well.
I was just kidding about your Moosehead vs Halifax confrontation ....... Re-read your own post.

Against Sherbrooke, It's gonna be a hard fought series, possibly going to the limit.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Past the top-15, the draft is full of busts ever year and the later you go, you can no longer talk about busts since the success rate is so low. The fact remain that all these players were all picked before Roy that will not be a bust. Anyway, as I said, a player taken at #150 cannot be a bust. But most of them were taken well before Roy, not even close.

That list doesn't necessarily support your argument as it is full of busts.

Reactions: WinterLion

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I heard Denis Gauthier on RDS said that he changed his mind totally about Roy since he plays with his two sons with Sherbrooke. Before that like many others he bought the idea that Roy was a lazy player with a bad attitude, but since last year he has inside info on how it goes inside the team in Sherbrooke and said that Roy is the leader of this team. An article in La Presse from yesterday says the same thing. The kid is far from a diva that thinks everything will come easy. He knows that to succeed he will have to work hard and not only rely on his natural talent. He is willing to go step by step and prove himself. The picture is the total opposite of the false one that led him to be picked at the end of the 5th round.

“Fire in the Eyes” of Joshua Roy

SIMON-OLIVIER LORANGE
LA PRESSE

(Sherbrooke) After the youth cure that transformed the defense of the Montreal Canadiens over the past year, the next major project that awaits the organization is undoubtedly in attack. In this department, Joshua Roy is one of the eagerly awaited candidates. And his production of the moment does nothing to calm the enthusiasm of the supporters.

After a season of 99 points in just 55 games, he has been running at almost three points per game since the start of the QMJHL playoffs. By successively sweeping the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada and the Drummondville Voltigeurs, the Sherbrooke Phœnix have so far only played eight duels. The Beauceron has however found a way to amass 21 points.

His dominance is total – he is 10 points ahead of his closest teammate. But it is not limited to statistics. His degree of commitment is commensurate. Phoenix captain Kaylen Gauthier is particularly amazed by the 19-year-old forward's "ability to stand up in big moments".

“We saw it with Team Canada: when it counts, it is he who is there”, summarizes the defender, crossed Wednesday noon after training for his club. The Phoenix are preparing for a tough semi-final series against the Halifax Mooseheads, which begins Saturday in the capital of Nova Scotia.

In his remark, Gauthier was referring to Roy's role in winning Team Canada gold at the World Junior Championship last January. With 11 points, including an assist on the tournament winning goal, he was a key element of the national selection. This wandering, he kept it in Sherbrooke, especially in the playoffs. "He is physically involved, he does a bit of everything," says Gauthier. He wants to make a difference. I think that's what's going to help him take it to the next level. »

Commitment

The "next level", for Joshua Roy, is at worst the American League, with the Laval Rocket; at best the NHL, with the Canadiens. Theoretically, he could still play a season in the QMJHL, but he doesn't have much to learn there. However, his entourage has never felt, since the start of the season, that he wanted to skip the stages.

"It shows in his body language, in his daily life, that his head is in Sherbrooke, not in Montreal or Laval," confirms Stéphane Julien, head coach of the Phoenix. The case of Roy, in Sherbrooke, is not unique. Seven players from the 2022-2023 edition have already been drafted by an NHL team. Six of them have a contract in their pocket.

Managing the end of the course of first class in a hurry to jump to the professionals, "it's really a job for all coaches", recognizes Stéphane Julien. However, he assures that he has no problems in this regard this season. Although when the example comes "from your best player", it does not hurt. A real chance of winning a championship does not harm more, it will be noted. But it's not just that.

What has impressed me [with Joshua Roy] since the start of the playoffs is how much fire he has in his eyes. Even in training, he is one of our best. He doesn't have that many points by chance. He works them. He has the ideas in the right place, the leadership in the right place too. Stéphane Julien, head coach of the Sherbrooke Phoenix

His teammates see the same thing. “He is very competitive. Sometimes you look at him and he may seem nonchalant, but in reality, he slows down the game, observes Ethan Gauthier. I have never seen such a vision of the game, such an IQ… What he can accomplish on the ice is exceptional. »

Justin Gill, Roy's linemate, talks about his contagious energy. In attack, of course, but also in defensive missions, especially in numerical inferiority. "He shows us that it's not just the physical players who are able to hit, that anyone can play that role in the playoffs. It pushes us to give more. »

Without regret

Joshua Roy, unsurprisingly, does not launch into fiery speeches about his own exploits. More serious during his own interview with La Presse than during those of his teammates – whom he pretended to spy on and to whom he suggested joking answers – he insists on the fact that he "did not want to trust in points” this season, his fourth in the QMJHL. “I wanted to bring a professional approach and improve on 200 feet,” he says.

He says he realized, at the Canadiens' training camp last fall, how much his defensive game deserved love. From now on, his only natural talent would no longer be enough for him. “It no longer forgives. I need to work”, he recalls, lucid. He has decidedly taken a liking to play on penality killing, where he believes he can put his vision and instincts to good use. “It also allows you to stay in the game. You never stop. It's really fun. »

Thanks to the "shell" that he has built, he ignores the "noise" outside, that which emanates from Montreal. Is this a complex task? “Really not, we have such a nice gang here. » He unknowingly echoes the words of his coach by insisting on the importance for him of "finishing [his] junior career in style". “And we have the team to get there,” he quickly adds. His eyes are therefore screwed on the current objective. "I don't want to have any regrets," he concludes. The series between the Sherbrooke Phoenix and the Halifax Mooseheads will begin on Saturday, April 29.

JOSHUA ROY IN BRIEF

Born August 6, 2003 in Saint-Georges-de-Beauce

1st choice (1st overall) of the Saint-Jean Sea Dogs, in the QMJHL, in 2019

Traded to Sherbrooke Phoenix in January 2021

5th round pick (150th overall) of the Montreal Canadiens in 2021

Double gold medalist at the World Junior Championship (2022, 2023)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I'm not back home this year to watch the series , might have to wake up at 5am to watch a few games on stream , pretty bummed about it these kinds of Jr games are my favorite, it's going to be a hell of a series.

Not only is Roy playing vs my favorite Jr team but Sherbrooke also has a player from my area who I know pretty well who is playing in Jacob melanson (kraken pick )

Honestly the Q is up for grabs and any of the 4 remaining teams can take it and also seriously compete for the mem cup. I can't remember a time when the Q had 4 teams this strong and evenly matched, Sherbrooke is something like 25-1 in their last 26 games including playoffs, with that 1 loss to Gatineau who was went something like 22-0-1 to end the season with their only loss to Sherbrooke, they were the 2 top ranked teams in the CHL.

Halifax is really good too though, could go either way

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Just to show how unjustified the rank at which Roy ended up being picked. Look at this list of players that were picked first overall in the Q since Mario Lemieux in 1981. Only two went undrafted afterward in the NHL, and from the 39 that were drafted in the NHL, Roy is dead last at #150. Only three other were picked outside of the top-100. It clearly shows how Roy's very low ranking is a special case of awful group thinking. A very negative tag was placed on this kid, and up to this day, he still fights to get rid of it. When you think about guys like Tony De Angelo and Ryan Merkley that had enormous red flags, and went around #20 anyway. It's hard to understand. Remember, Roy was a 2 points per game in the Midget AAA. The elite talent was clear early on.

1981: Laval – Mario Lemieux #1 overall
1982: Québec – Sylvain Coté #11 overall
1983: Drummondville – José Charbonneau #12 overall
1984: Trois-Rivières – Martin Desjardins #75 overall
1985: Granby – Pierre Turgeon #1 overall
1986: Longueuil – Yves Racine #11 overall
1987: Verdun – Martin St-Amour #34 overall
1988: Verdun – Pierre Sévigny #51 overall
1989: Verdun – Patrick Poulin #9 overall
1990: Drummondville – René Corbet #24 overall
1991: Victoriaville – Alexandre Daigle #1 overall
1992: Victoriaville – Cosmo Dupaul #91 overall
1993: Val d’Or – Stéphane Roy #68 overall
1994: Halifax – Étienne Drapeau #99 overall
1995: Moncton – Pierre Dagenais #47 overall
1996: Laval – Jonathan Girard #48 overall
1997: Baie-Comeau – Jonathan Gautier (undrafted)
1998: Baie-Comeau – Yanick Lehoux #86 overall
1999: Montréal – Chris Montgomery (undrafted)
2000: Val d’Or – Maxime Daigneault #59 overall
2001: Moncton – Steve Bernier #16 overall
2002: Sherbrooke – Alex Bourret #16 overall
2003: Rimouski – Sidney Crosby #1 overall
2004: Cap-Breton – James Sheppard #9 overall
2005: Saint-John – Alex Grant #118 overall
2006: Saint-John – Yann Sauvé #41 overall
2007: Saint-John – Simon Desprès #30 overall
2008: Moncton – Brandon Gormley #13 overall
2009: Val d’Or – Olivier Archambault #108 overall
2010: Lewiston – Dillon Fournier #48 overall
2011: Baie-Comeau – Nathan MacKinnon #1 overall
2012: Sherbrooke – Daniel Audette #147 overall
2013: Cap-Breton – Nicolas Roy #96 overall
2014: Saint-John – Luke Green #79 overall
2015: Saint-John – Joseph Veleno #30 overall
2016: Halifax – Benoit-Olivier Groulx #54 overall
2017: Rimouski – Alexis Lafrenière #1 overall
2018: Chicoutimi – Hendrix Lapierre #22 overall
2019: Saint John – Joshua Roy #150 overall
2020: Gatineau – Tristan Luneau #53 overall
2021: Sherbrooke – Ethan Gautier projected in 1st round

Roy also had to lose 20 pounds of fat in his first offseason after draft.

Commitment was a huge question mark. The majority of the time, that kind of guy would have just flown into obscurity. Hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: Joe Lamb

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Commitment was a huge question mark. The majority of the time, that kind of guy would have just flown into obscurity. Hindsight is 20/20.
Although the chubby ones don’t seem to get hurt as much, thinking of Suzuki, Kessel, Recchi… Seems it’s the muscle that counts for a lot of these guys.

Edit I just played Doctor and used Recchi as an example have a nice day.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
In my case it's not hindsight at all. I wanted the Habs to draft him at the end of the second round before the 2021 draft with one of their two picks there. We hear all the time about the "development" here and elsewhere as if it was the key to success for young players, as if a team would be able to help players to improve much more than others. I think the main key to success is high talent, and talent cannot be taught. You have it or not. In the case of Roy, he clearly had talent, question marks about his attitude and work ethic could have justified a drop to the end of the second round, but not to the end of the fifth round.

If a team thinks that it is impossible to help a kid improve his physical condition and to make him fully understand that his talent will not be enough, that hard work will be necessary, then, don't talk to me about development, because this exactly what development should be. If you think a 17 years old player cannot improve his mindset and work ethic,, then do something else in life. As I wrote here a few times before, it's strange that Sherbrooke hockey people were willing to pay a very high price to acquire Roy (3 first round and a second round picks), and that NHL teams did not see that value in him.

Sherbrooke were willing to pay that very high price because they thought they would be able to help Roy become the best player he could be at the junior level. And don't tell me value in junior is not the same as value in the NHL, that he was too slow, not translatable to the NHL etc.... I was not asking Habs to take him in the first round, but at the end of the second round, which is the spot where to take talented players with obvious weaknesses, Lane Hutson and Riley Kidney are perfect examples of that, and Roy was in the same category, very talented, but with obvious weaknesses that he needed to improve upon. Habs were very lucky that he was still there at #150.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Sherbrooke is gonna win the Cup in the QMJHL

They have the best player in the league with Joshua Roy

They have the skills with Roy, Gill, Brabanec, Melanson, Gauthier

They have the sandpaper you need to win with Melanson, E.Gauthier, Mianscum, Huckins, K Gauthier, Roelens (not the most physical player but with his size, he won most of his battle)

They have an excellant top 4 (probably the best in the league) with Hinds, Gaudet, Spacek, Rondeau and Fleming/K.Gauthier would be on most top 4 in the league

Olivier Adam is a solid G (Not 5 but close)

And they have the best Head Coach in the Q with Jim Hulton (CHA) in Stéphane Julien

Reactions: Mrb1p

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I liked Roy from day 1 and you won't tell me anything about hindsight, le bip is always right.
Taking Roy at 150 was a no brainer ! He had way to much skills to be available at that spot, he just needed development. I was even mad when we pass on him at 142

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
In my case it's not hindsight at all. I wanted the Habs to draft him at the end of the second round before the 2021 draft with one of their two picks there. We hear all the time about the "development" here and elsewhere as if it was the key to success for young players, as if a team would be able to help players to improve much more than others. I think the main key to success is high talent, and talent cannot be taught. You have it or not. In the case of Roy, he clearly had talent, question marks about his attitude and work ethic could have justified a drop to the end of the second round, but not to the end of the fifth round.

If a team thinks that it is impossible to help a kid improve his physical condition and to make him fully understand that his talent will not be enough, that hard work will be necessary, then, don't talk to me about development, because this exactly what development should be. If you think a 17 years old player cannot improve his mindset and work ethic,, then do something else in life. As I wrote here a few times before, it's strange that Sherbrooke hockey people were willing to pay a very high price to acquire Roy (3 first round and a second round picks), and that NHL teams did not see that value in him.

Sherbrooke were willing to pay that very high price because they thought they would be able to help Roy become the best player he could be at the junior level. And don't tell me value in junior is not the same as value in the NHL, that he was too slow, not translatable to the NHL etc.... I was not asking Habs to take him in the first round, but at the end of the second round, which is the spot where to take talented players with obvious weaknesses, Lane Hutson and Riley Kidney are perfect examples of that, and Roy was in the same category, very talented, but with obvious weaknesses that he needed to improve upon. Habs were very lucky that he was still there at #150.

There's plenty of high talent player with commitment issues that never fix them and end up busting.

Good on the Habs crew for spotting it was fixable, but I can see why teams were wary of picking him.

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
In many ways it's a boon for Roy to have been picked so late.

Had he picked with a first or a second, the quebec media would have been all over him. He would have been labeled as the next great player from Quebec. Pressure would have built up to bring him in the pro and give him a spot. It would have been Latendresse all over again.

Instead, he's been able to slowly build his game in the Q without undue expectations or rush. He spent his D+1 and D+2 years in the Q, which has been great for his development. He'll turn pro next year, but nobody pencil him in the NHL, he can take his time in the AHL. He'll be graduating among many other forwards anyway, so he won't have to be the center of attention.

This is perfect. I have high confidence he'll end up in the NHL.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
In many ways it's a boon for Roy to have been picked so late.

Had he picked with a first or a second, the quebec media would have been all over him. He would have been labeled as the next great player from Quebec. Pressure would have built up to bring him in the pro and give him a spot. It would have been Latendresse all over again.

Instead, he's been able to slowly build his game in the Q without undue expectations or rush. He spent his D+1 and D+2 years in the Q, which has been great for his development. He'll turn pro next year, but nobody pencil him in the NHL, he can take his time in the AHL. He'll be graduating among many other forwards anyway, so he won't have to be the center of attention.

This is perfect. I have high confidence he'll end up in the NHL.
I still think Roy, Who has been in the limelight since his AAA days would have been able to handle it. Leader of most of his teams, Leader on Team Canada, Racks up points.

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Bergevin created Covid Pandemic just to draft ROY :sarcasm:

Bergevin also created a fake Charge in sweden against........ Just to draft......

ok ill stop there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad