Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Holding out hope for a Robertson-like progression. Both young in their draft year, dominated juniors in D+1/D+2, both have poor skating technique but high IQ and plus offensive tools.

Obviously it's unlikely he explodes like Robertson as I think he's more of a complementary forward, but add in the defense and you've got a player. If he turns out to be a Ondrej Palat for example, that would be great.
That would be a nice surprise.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Roy has a good shot and he position himself well but i don't see how he will be able to cleanly beat NHL goaltender or exploit his talent in the NHL. He is already D+2 and entering D+3. I mean, he could still develop and improve but time is ticking fast.
I wouldn't say that Joshua Roy, six months younger than Kaiden Guhle was last year, is too old to make a mark in the NHL.

He can be another Lehkonen with better playmaking. Lehks was/is not fast at all, but has determination and stamina to give it everything for a full shift.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
That would be a nice surprise.
Definitely. I thought he quickly became overrated in the last 2 years, but now that he has added a strong defensive game I'm more hopeful for his future. At least if the offense doesn't translate he can be an all-around 3rd liner.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I wouldn't say that Joshua Roy, six months younger than Kaiden Guhle was last year, is too old to make a mark in the NHL.

He can be another Lehkonen with better playmaking. Lehks was/is not fast at all, but has determination and stamina to give it everything for a full shift.
I don’t know what your definition of fast is but compared to Roy, Lehkonen is fast. If Roy had Lehkonen’s skating ability, coupled with his other elite offensive skills, he would already be in the NHL. And be rising offensive star.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah No
Where do you get your takes from. Joshua Roy does not skate anywhere near as well as Lehkonen not only is he not as fast his stride isn't conducive to being able to skate for miles and miles.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don’t know what your definition of fast is but compared to Roy, Lehkonen is fast. If Roy had Lehkonen’s skating ability, coupled with his other elite offensive skills, he would already be in the NHL. And be rising offensive star.
Coach obviously loves our rookies. He has Reinbacher playing well above where he is truly at and now Roy can skate for miles at pace.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Coach obviously loves our rookies. He has Reinbacher playing well above where he is truly at and now Roy can skate for miles at pace.
I don't have Reinbacher playing anywhere yet. I said about 50 times that I want to see how he does at camp, and I wrote that in his first rookie game, I found him less quick than advertised. Where do you get this stuff?

Apparently, asking for a first round pick to have a fair shot at camp and be properly evaluated is contrary to the agenda of those who already claim to "know" where David should play for the next three years.

As for Roy, I believe he suffers from anti-Q bias; we will soon see whether my view that his strong two-way contributions to TCJ can translate to the pros.

And in case you think I fawn over every prospect, I am quite measured in my projections on Beck, Farrell, Hutson and Mailloux.

At the same time, I give Struble a better chance at an NHL career than many others do.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't have Reinbacher playing anywhere yet. I said about 50 times that I want to see how he does at camp, and I wrote that in mhis first rookie game, I found him less quick than advertised. Where do you get this stuff?

Apparently, asking for a firwst round pick to have a fair shot at camp and be properly evaluated is contrary to the agenda of those who already claim to "know" where David should play for the next three years.

As for Roy, I believe he suffers from anti-Q bias; we will soon see whether my view that his strong two-way contributions to TCJ can translate to the pros.
Like I said there is nothing posted anywhere video-wise nor live that shows Reinbacher being remotely close to ready for the NHL. Sure I get it let the kid have his camp but at the same time remove the rose colored glasses. The question for me is how fast can he close that gap.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
If Roy can get his skating to an NHL average level I would say he’s a surefire top 6 player. That’s the main thing holding him back

Reactions: JurequeparJuraj

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Seriously, how bad is his skating exactly? Has it not evolved a little since the first mention that watching him skate was like watching a player skate in mud?

I'm starting to think that this is becoming more of an empty talking point than anything else?

Is he two strides behind everyone on the back check, or does he use his hockey sense to anticipate counter attacks and his positioning to cut angles and defend properly, offsetting his most glaring weakness?

So, he's not the onto carry the puck spice,allthe way from the back of his own net to the back the opposing net like Gomez would do? Who cares if he creates more scoring opportunities than Gomez did once in the O-zone.

I honestly think that posters are representing Roy's skating as that of a special olympics athlete competing against regular Olympic athletes.

I doubt it is really THAT MUCH of an issue going forward.

If Robitaille had a hockey career, so can Roy as a smart, skilled, two-way hockey player, even if he is not a gazelle on skates.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Seriously, how bad is his skating exactly? Has it not evolved a little since the first mention that watching him skate was like watching a player skate in mud?

I'm starting to think that this is becoming more of an empty talking point than anything else?

Is he two strides behind everyone on the back check, or does he use his hockey sense to anticipate counter attacks and his positioning to cut angles and defend properly, offsetting his most glaring weakness?

So, he's not the onto carry the puck spice,allthe way from the back of his own net to the back the opposing net like Gomez would do? Who cares if he creates more scoring opportunities than Gomez did once in the O-zone.

I honestly think that posters are representing Roy's skating as that of a special olympics athlete competing against regular Olympic athletes.

I doubt it is really THAT MUCH of an issue going forward.

If Robitaille had a hockey career, so can Roy as a smart, skilled, two-way hockey player, even if he is not a gazelle on skates.
There's a lot of great skaters that don't do much, Roy is an avg skater in my book, his other qualities are so good, that his skating won't stop him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I personally think, he will have a better career than Drouin.
More heart = more success

Something MSL said that may apply here-

Joshua Roy is a hockey player

Jonathan Drouin plays hockey

There's a lot of great skaters that don't do much, Roy is an avg skater in my book, his other qualities are so good, that his skating won't stop him.
Mark Stone and John Tavares have carved out solid careers being average skaters. I also think Roy's skating will improve.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
That's my point. I think Roy could be more fairly categorized as an average skater. Definitely not a speed demon, but also not a hockey player skating with a peg leg (fitted by Reebok, even).

If bison ice vision,passing skills, shooting skills, puck possession skills, hockey IQ are above average,I don't see what would stop him from flourishing at the NHL level.

Many speedsters gotanopportuNity because their skating was impressive, but never amounted to much because that was their only skill that stood up against NHL competition.

How long did we have to suffer through hearing how good a skater Mete was, for example, when he couldn't handle physical battles for the puck, couldn't clear his G's crease, had no shot, etc. etc.

Just how exciting was it to see Gomez predictably fly across the ice from behind his own net, while in Montreal, only to see the play die in the corner of the O-zone, with opposing Ds letting Gomez skate at will while they prepared to block passing lanes instead, because they knew Gomez would never cut to the net or shoot the puck there?

Countless examples of speed leading to nothing when no other skills were also on display..

Of course, if Roy had the speed, on top of the other skills, he'd be scary, but it doesn't mean he can't become a good- even great - NHLer as an average skater with a good to great tool box outside of that.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
That's my point. I think Roy could be more fairly categorized as an average skater. Definitely not a speed demon, but also not a hockey player skating with a peg leg (fitted by Reebok, even).

If bison ice vision,passing skills, shooting skills, puck possession skills, hockey IQ are above average,I don't see what would stop him from flourishing at the NHL level.

Many speedsters gotanopportuNity because their skating was impressive, but never amounted to much because that was their only skill that stood up against NHL competition.

How long did we have to suffer through hearing how good a skater Mete was, for example, when he couldn't handle physical battles for the puck, couldn't clear his G's crease, had no shot, etc. etc.

Just how exciting was it to see Gomez predictably fly across the ice from behind his own net, while in Montreal, only to see the play die in the corner of the O-zone, with opposing Ds letting Gomez skate at will while they prepared to block passing lanes instead, because they knew Gomez would never cut to the net or shoot the puck there?

Countless examples of speed leading to nothing when no other skills were also on display..

Of course, if Roy had the speed, on top of the other skills, he'd be scary, but it doesn't mean he can't become a good- even great - NHLer as an average skater with a good to great tool box outside of that.
If Roy had elite skating he would have been a first round pick. I think his skating is fine and will continue to improve.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

I think of elite skating first rounders like Rico Fata and Sonny Milano who couldn't play because of limitations in other facets of their games. Roy has hockey smarts on another level. Gretzky (not comparing) was not a great skater but his hockey vision and sense was on a level that has never been reached by anyone else.

Roy was not picked higher mainly because if his physical shape and questionable attitude. But he fixed them both.
Very true but his skating held him back as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad