Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Seriously, how bad is his skating exactly? Has it not evolved a little since the first mention that watching him skate was like watching a player skate in mud?

I'm starting to think that this is becoming more of an empty talking point than anything else?

Is he two strides behind everyone on the back check, or does he use his hockey sense to anticipate counter attacks and his positioning to cut angles and defend properly, offsetting his most glaring weakness?

So, he's not the onto carry the puck spice,allthe way from the back of his own net to the back the opposing net like Gomez would do? Who cares if he creates more scoring opportunities than Gomez did once in the O-zone.

I honestly think that posters are representing Roy's skating as that of a special olympics athlete competing against regular Olympic athletes.

I doubt it is really THAT MUCH of an issue going forward.

If Robitaille had a hockey career, so can Roy as a smart, skilled, two-way hockey player, even if he is not a gazelle on skates.
They called Suzuki slow too lol

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
Montreal also runs a system that most of their players are constantly in motion, not a lot of stop and start. That's why even the poorest skaters we have had don't seem as evidently slow when they play here. Most recently Corey Perry comes to mind. But for the record if your trying to scope of it Roy's speed will be a problem just watch him I'm the WJHC. It's evident he's improved but more importantly he's got fantastic balance. If his skating can be on par with Armia or even Perry we will do very well as both rely on puck protection and balance vs top end speed.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Montreal also runs a system that most of their players are constantly in motion, not a lot of stop and start. That's why even the poorest skaters we have had don't seem as evidently slow when they play here. Most recently Corey Perry comes to mind. But for the record if your trying to scope of it Roy's speed will be a problem just watch him I'm the WJHC. It's evident he's improved but more importantly he's got fantastic balance. If his skating can be on par with Armia or even Perry we will do very well as both rely on puck protection and balance vs top end speed.

He really is a small ice player. Protects the puck well and uses the momentum of physical contact against his opponents. His board play is already better than most of our NHL fwds.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
His skating is not that bad at all. Not bad enough to really be a concern going forward. He has way too much going for him.

He works plenty hard on the other side of the puck. Skating and effort were really the only question marks and I don't think they're much an issue at all from what I've seen.

I think top 6 complimentary winger is his floor to be honest. He'd have to be a worse skater than he is to nullify his offensive instinct and skill.

I hate rushing prospects but he's in the mix for a job. Absolutely.

He really is a small ice player. Protects the puck well and uses the momentum of physical contact against his opponents. His board play is already better than most of our NHL fwds.
yeah it's an aspect I saw of his game relatively recently. I saw the puck protection and strength and I started to get real excited. The commitment to D as well. You give him open ice and you're done but he can make things happen without it too which I didn't see a ton in his D+1.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I was goong there too. The wjhc was the display we hoped for with him. He was excellent and did not look 'a step behind'. That gold winning pass was just perfect.

This is the kind of things he does that needs to be complemented by top players, like that pass to Beck which if it was Caufield would have been buried in the net. Beck is excellent and projects well in a 3rd line but Roy will really shine with real top 6.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
His boards play is definitely a strength. At the WJC that was the feature of his game that stood out to me the most. He seemed to be a notch above pretty much everyone else in the tournament when it came to puck play around the boards.

With his skating being "average at best", he'll need his boards play/small area game to be a strength to be successful. I'm pretty confident that Roy will be a Top-9 forward, it's just a question of where he'll slot in based on how he can tool his game to the higher tempo/intensity game in the NHL.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I haven't seen Roy held back his skating.
Nope in game one he was caught standing still on two occasions with the puck at his feet. Nothing huge it was early in the game in the Dzone and the entire line was discombobulated at that point. I'm curious to see him play with some smarter players to see how fast he can process the game. It should go a long way in telling us when he might be ready. He'll be one of those players who has to keep his feet moving and will get noticed when he has an off day.
No different from many players in that regard.

Reactions: Tyson

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’ve watched him a bit. By no means an expert. But what I’ve seen from him, he doesn’t look out of place. He’s not flashy but his skating doesn’t look bad either.

Just seems like a player with good offensive instincts. Right place at the right time and a good shot.

Just rookie camp but a continuation of the WJC; he was always getting in the way of defensive players trying to get out of their zone.

Dach and Roy would be very annoying to play against.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
From my perspective his skating has improved and will continue to improve.
Another steal in the later rounds for the Habs. Have Gabriel Bourque mentor him in Laval for the first few months of the season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looks like an NHLer. He’s got top 6 potential for sure. Liking him more and more.

I personally think he is a grade A prospect at this stage. Totally agree, he has top 6 potential in him. His development track from the draft has been as good as you would expect. Resume of accomplishments are adding up.

Some compare him to Toffoli. Fair. I think a prime C Perry is another one. Maybe he falls in the middle of them two somewhere.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I personally think he is a grade A prospect at this stage. Totally agree, he has top 6 potential in him. His development track from the draft has been as good as you would expect. Resume of accomplishments are adding up.

Some compare him to Toffoli. Fair. I think a prime C Perry is another one. Maybe he falls in the middle of them two somewhere.
Prime Corey Perry won the Hart trophy. Your expectations are high for this kid to say the least LOL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Prime Corey Perry won the Hart trophy. Your expectations are high for this kid to say the least LOL

You have a comprehension problem like so many who comment on the internet. Re-Read and you will find that it says "Maybe he falls in the middle of Toffoli and Perry".

Go away with your belittle narratives. You're better than that. "LOL". Can't wait for you to try to debate it more now.

giphy.gif

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Yeah Toffoli is a great comparable , their stats are eerily similar at the same age and league. Plus the style of play is pretty similar. I think Roy could score 20 every year like Tofu if he becomes what we think he can.

Perry comparables are a little bit over the top you can't be mad for getting called out on that halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah Toffoli is a great comparable , their stats are eerily similar at the same age and league. Plus the style of play is pretty similar. I think Roy could score 20 every year like Tofu if he becomes what we think he can.

Perry comparables are a little bit over the top you can't be mad for getting called out on that halifax

Between Toffoli and Perry. Get it right. I may sound upset because it's not being comprehended well. That's fair right?

Are you saying Toffoli is the max ceiling level? Can't be better?

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
You have a comprehension problem like so many who comment on the internet. Re-Read and you will find that it says "Maybe he falls in the middle of Toffoli and Perry".

Go away with your belittle narratives. You're better than that. "LOL". Can't wait for you to try to debate it more now.

giphy.gif
Belittle naratives? I just don't want us to fall in the trap of overrating our prospects once again. I am a big fan of Roy and would consider him becoming anything similar to Toffoli a W.

I didn't mean to offend you in any way, sorry if that was the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad