Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I guess it’ll all come down to whether or not we pull the trigger on PLD this summer.

If we don’t, I think you’re right we’ll see a relatively quiet off-season where Hughes is patient and just drafts accordingly. It’s a smart approach, all things considered.

We have a guaranteed Top-7 pick, there’s a chance that player could end up on our roster next season (no brainer if it’s Bedard).

Another season of drafting & development is exactly what this team needs.
It's going to be interesting to see how many young forwards make the team and are developed at the NHL level. Gorton seemed to say that is a good way to do things long term, despite the short term pains and sacrifices.

I see RHP and Ylonen as locks. Then Slaf should. Then we'll see if Heineman, Roy, Beck, Mesar, Farrell, etc... can make it impossible for management to cut them.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm responding to a poster that said it will be great if, eventually, we get as much as we got for Toffoli when we trade Roy?

I'm thinking that the nicest way to couch that is that, as his career winds down in Montreal, if we can get as good a return for Roy, it will mean that he was a helluva player for us.

But, I asked the question to see if the poster meant he would be eager to trade Roy right away if we could get a 1st round pick and a prospect back today?

I have big hopes for Roy and, no, I would not trade him.
Maybe another prospect but not Roy. He might be very prolific, we might regret if we trade him. Not until he have at least 5 seasons in NHL. Remember John Leclair?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Still not sold on Roy's speed, but at the same point in Suzuki's career i had similar concerns. I would like to see Roy spend at least 1 year in the AHL working on his skating. The rest of his skills are well above average and his hockey sense is off the charts. He could be a defensive forward if he wanted to.

His defensive play and compete level in the WJHC was very noticeable.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I subscribe to the approach that its far better to trade a player one year too early than one year too late. Stench or otherwise. It will be quickly determined by opposing teams whether Roy has the skating chops to be an effective NHL level player. Once (if) that decision is an negative one, Roy’s market value will be negligible. Hence, Roy’s market value may never be higher than before he skates at the professional level.

If the offer is good, I take the bird in hand.
You take the bird in hand if you have zero confidence the player will have a successful career. Ergo, you have zero faith in the player being successful heading forward.

You honestly believe that a late first round pick and a prospect like Heineman would be better value than testing Roy's upside and hockey IQ to overcome any possible skating deficiencies?

I'll take the glowing praise from Bedard that Roy can be a fine complement to talented players over fears that Roy doesn't have the skating chops to succeed in the NHL.

I think that the issue is overblown, personally.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I guess it’ll all come down to whether or not we pull the trigger on PLD this summer.

If we don’t, I think you’re right we’ll see a relatively quiet off-season where Hughes is patient and just drafts accordingly. It’s a smart approach, all things considered.

We have a guaranteed Top-7 pick, there’s a chance that player could end up on our roster next season (no brainer if it’s Bedard).

Another season of drafting & development is exactly what this team needs.
The player we pick with our first OA should not be rushed to the NHL like Slafkovsky, Kotkaniemi and Galchenyuk were.

If it's Bedard or Fantilli -- maybe even Carlsson -- we could make a case for it happening, but beyond that, I wouldn't expect to see it happen.

Next year might see Heinemann graduate and it would need a seriously amazing camp for another to make the NHL roster, IMO.

Still not sold on Roy's speed, but at the same point in Suzuki's career i had similar concerns. I would like to see Roy spend at least 1 year in the AHL working on his skating. The rest of his skills are well above average and his hockey sense is off the charts. He could be a defensive forward if he wanted to.

He could be a defensive forward if he wanted to.

Roy, the next Carbonneau? Could it be? ;)

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I subscribe to the approach that its far better to trade a player one year too early than one year too late. Stench or otherwise. It will be quickly determined by opposing teams whether Roy has the skating chops to be an effective NHL level player. Once (if) that decision is an negative one, Roy’s market value will be negligible. Hence, Roy’s market value may never be higher than before he skates at the professional level.

If the offer is good, I take the bird in hand.
An unproven prospect without a high pedigree and some glaring flaws won't get the Habs enough in trade to be worth it, and we have a development staff that has lots of confidence in themselves now. There is way more to gain by keeping him.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The player we pick with our first OA should not be rushed to the NHL like Slafkovsky, Kotkaniemi and Galchenyuk were.

If it's Bedard or Fantilli -- maybe even Carlsson -- we could make a case for it happening, but beyond that, I wouldn't expect to see it happen.

Next year might see Heinemann graduate and it would need a seriously amazing camp for another to make the NHL roster, IMO.

He could be a defensive forward if he wanted to.

Roy, the next Carbonneau? Could it be? ;)

Yeah that’s why I said it’s a no Brainer for Bedard to be in the NHL next year. Even for Fantilli & Carlsson, I’d probably let them play another year in NCAA/SEL in their cases.

Patience is key with these young guys and we shouldn’t be in a rush to make noise next year. Another year in a top-10 draft position is exactly what we need.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Roy has worked on his skating every year....that is what every hockey player does. He will likely never be even an average skater but he has many of the necessary tools to have success without considerably improving his skating.

Most players improve their skating at similar rates, so even if ne improves a little he won't be gaining ground. Players who make significant gains are the exceptions otherwise everyone would be a great skater. It isn't impossible that he does but it is very unlikely regardless of how hard he works at it.

We know what Joshua Roy is and we know who his comparables are, all we can do is see if his strengths are more prominent than his warts. Personally, I think he is going to be a player as he has incredible instincts and great hands.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He quickly adapts to whatever is asked of him on the ice. I see a special player, and I think he'll have chemistry with any line on the ice. I'm excited to see him in the AHL.
I’ve got a feeling, if we can trade some of the vets that we will see Roy in the NHL next year maybe after Christmas.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Roy has worked on his skating every year....that is what every hockey player does. He will likely never be even an average skater but he has many of the necessary tools to have success without considerably improving his skating.

Most players improve their skating at similar rates, so even if ne improves a little he won't be gaining ground. Players who make significant gains are the exceptions otherwise everyone would be a great skater. It isn't impossible that he does but it is very unlikely regardless of how hard he works at it.

We know what Joshua Roy is and we know who his comparables are, all we can do is see if his strengths are more prominent than his warts. Personally, I think he is going to be a player as he has incredible instincts and great hands.
It's been pointed out more than once the easiest thing to improve in skating like sprinting is the first two or three steps out of the blocks. That is a reflex and can indeed improve. Having the brain he does it won't take much in that area to seem like a drastic improvement. I don't think anyone is looking for a career of clear cut breakaways for Roy. :laugh:

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's going to be interesting to see how many young forwards make the team and are developed at the NHL level. Gorton seemed to say that is a good way to do things long term, despite the short term pains and sacrifices.

I see RHP and Ylonen as locks. Then Slaf should. Then we'll see if Heineman, Roy, Beck, Mesar, Farrell, etc... can make it impossible for management to cut them.
Ylonen I could see out of the org in next few years

Reactions: 26Mats

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
To land PLD, we must sacrify Roy or Hutson

I say we calm down with the sacrifices.

Maybe we can trade a few mirrors and gun powder.

4101852.gif

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
He could be a key player for us.

Plus, it's good to have francophone Quebecers on the team. We're about to lose Drouin, and Savard can't play forever.

It would be good if RHP and Roy make it long term, and we get Dubois.
Oh-oh watch it, you might trigger some people with that positive attitude . General consensus here is to trash talk everything home grown.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
Local talent is a premium at the gate and sometimes in the dressing room. It has to be talented enough, no freebees, and have a teflon attitude. Roy could be in the mould of Tender, the last Guy, Guy, Guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad