Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
When we will be trading Roy ... I'm speechless, I could say when we will be trading Farrell, or Suzuki, or Caufield or Ghule, or Mailloux, or Slaf, etc. The guy hasn't played a single game in NHL and AHL, and someone write when we will be trading that player. Is there is something in the water they drink, or substance some folks smoke? Lol. Hello earth is calling, hello earth is calling that spaceship lost in space.
To land PLD, we must sacrify Roy or Hutson

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Mountain

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Roy with 3 goals and 3 assists tonight, this guy is way better, than a lot of you think.
Bedard 20 points in 7 games, Roy 18 points in 6 games.
People need to just stop it with his skating his skating his skating. The NHL has had more than a handful of absolute star players over the years who weren't the fleetest of foot. Crap it wasn't long ago we had Toffoli performing decently here. Pay attention instead to what his team mates say about him including the elite on Team Canada. This guy will be a pro player at the top level without a shadow of a doubt.

Reactions: Scriptor

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Screenshot_20230416-121505.png

• Love
Reactions: Licou and Scriptor

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yes, skating is good but is not everything. I don't get all the negativity on this thread (and others).
Nobody expect Roy to become the next Ovy, There is ton of examples of players who were not fast skaters and did well. Bossy, Robitaille, Toffoli, etc. Even Gretz wasn't that fast.

Roy have a flair for the scoring chances, he goes at the right spot at the right time. He will improve his skating enough I beleive.

Hockey IQ is by far and away the most important trait and he appears to have it in spades. He will likely always be a poor skater as his technique is bad and has not changed but it shouldn't hold him back. He is already quite strong and will only get stronger, he has the puck protection skills and hands to play in traffic which he will need without the ability to create separation with his feet.

I think he is going to be dynamite on the pp and should compliment Caufield well on the right side or as the bumper.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If we’d brought him into the NHL and he played five mins a night, that would be a waste. An MVP type season isn’t bad. Next year he can go to the AHL and we’ll see how he does.

Ideally the young crop that played in the NHL this season continue to build on their success in the NHL and a whole separate group takes a big step forward together in Laval. At the end of next season and the following season begin to merge the two groups.

Reactions: Scriptor

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
And if we can ultimately trade Roy for any where near the return that we secured for Toffoli, then the drafting of Roy will go down as one of the team’s astutest draft moves of all time.
I think you’re way too early to make this kind of call. Let’s first see if he can play at the next level, than if his goal scoring transfers to the nhl, why would we want to trade him then ? Habs should be on an ascending path in the next 2-3 years, not in a fire sale mode like when we traded Toffoli. If the kid ever becomes a 30 goal scorer when he matures, I agree that would be an absolute steal on the 5th round.
I just don’t understand your point of trading him IF he becomes any good.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Molasses?! He isn't a speedster but he Also isn't as slow as you're saying. I look at Roy and I see him as the best prospect we have in the organization. Better than Slaf, better than Hutson. And he might be better than anyone we pick in this year's draft. Aside from Bedard or Michkov.

Yea no...

Reactions: SlafySZN

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
This reminds me of when we had Plekanec, Higgins, Ryder, Dagenais, Ribeiro, Kostitsyn 1, Kostitsyn 2, amongst others.

Let's just hope that this flock of top-niners are better than them. Then, we'd be sitting pretty as Frack.

When would you be trading Roy, exactly? Now, or later on in his career like we did with Toffoli?
That is the proverbial Gordian Knot. Do you trade him too soon and watch him develop into a prime time player or too late and let him be exposed as a player one step too slow to be an effective player at the next level?

I guess it all comes down to what the offer is.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Really? When did the memo come out?

How about Farrell instead? Or Beck? Beck is a C. Farrell plays both C and wing.

I think it could be Panther's 1st rounder, Beck/Farrell, Barron. Hopefully less.

Reactions: DAChampion

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Ideally the young crop that played in the NHL this season continue to build on their success in the NHL and a whole separate group takes a big step forward together in Laval. At the end of next season and the following season begin to merge the two groups.
I have said from the beginning that next season will be a lull year in terms of adding prospects to the NHL roster. Maybe one or two, as is the norm, but more than that would be very surprising.

Heineman might make it and some other that forces HuGo's hand, but definitely not more. I would prefer that most stay a full year in the AHL and, perhaps, get a taste of the NHL after the trade deadline.

Or, we could keep a few up for a ten-game teaser and send them back to Laval after, with knowledge of the speed at the NHL level and the things they must work on to take the next step. A recall after the trade deadline would show them how they have progressed and let them know what they must work on during the summer.

That is the proverbial Gordian Knot. Do you trade him too soon and watch him develop into a prime time player or too late and let him be exposed as a player one step too slow to be an effective player at the next level?

I guess it all comes down to what the offer is.
The upside is to good, IMO, to give up on the kid. You act like he's rotten meat you need to unload before the stench makes it apparent.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I have said from the beginning that next season will be a lull year in terms of adding prospects to the NHL roster. Maybe one or two, as is the norm, but more than that would be very surprising.

Heineman might make it and some other that forces HuGo's hand, but definitely not more. I would prefer that most stay a full year in the AHL and, perhaps, get a taste of the NHL after the trade deadline.

Or, we could keep a few up for a ten-game teaser and send them back to Laval after, with knowledge of the speed at the NHL level and the things they must work on to take the next step. A recall after the trade deadline would show them how they have progressed and let them know what they must work on during the summer.

The upside is to good, IMO, to give up on the kid. You act like he's rotten meat you need to unload before the stench makes it apparent.
I subscribe to the approach that its far better to trade a player one year too early than one year too late. Stench or otherwise. It will be quickly determined by opposing teams whether Roy has the skating chops to be an effective NHL level player. Once (if) that decision is an negative one, Roy’s market value will be negligible. Hence, Roy’s market value may never be higher than before he skates at the professional level.

If the offer is good, I take the bird in hand.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Panthers?
Lol. Vegas

Roy produced pretty damn well, offensively as he worked on other aspects of his game. It's not like he dropped to a PPG while rounding out his defensive game, for example.

I don't see the concerns about Roy, even if, yes, improving his skating, primarily the explosion of his first few strides, wouldn't hurt.

The ability to outdistance the opponent quickly works wonders in making quit the chase. It's the same thing in football for a receiver or a running back that breaks through the mass es on the field.
I agree. That's why I pointed out Suzuki. A prospect may be developing very well even though numbers aren't shooting up.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
OK, because our devlopment geniuses will not be able to determine if his skating is good enough before he plays in an NHL game? If the Saint-Louis and Nicolas are so great, and all the other scouts in the organization following him since before his draft. If they are all competent hockey people, they should have a good read on what his potential is. It means nothing to draft well if you trade a steal before he can establish himself. Also, why this reasoning for Roy, and not for other players. Suzuki was seen as a potential bust after his showing at the WJC, why they did not trade him just in case, Caufield and Farrell are small, will they be able to avoid frequent injuries? Why not trade them before knowing? Some will just never believe in this kid because ha was picked at #150. That's it. He cannot be viewed by these as a legit top prospect.

I subscribe to the approach that its far better to trade a player one year too early than one year too late. Stench or otherwise. It will be quickly determined by opposing teams whether Roy has the skating chops to be an effective NHL level player. Once (if) that decision is an negative one, Roy’s market value will be negligible. Hence, Roy’s market value may never be higher than before he skates at the professional level.

If the offer is good, I take the bird in hand.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He could be a key player for us.

Plus, it's good to have francophone Quebecers on the team. We're about to lose Drouin, and Savard can't play forever.

It would be good if RHP and Roy make it long term, and we get Dubois.

Caufield-Suzuki-Roy
RHP-PLD-Dach

Is a serious possibility at some point next season. I see Roy as a perfect candidate to play with Suzuki with his defensive acumen and ability to get to the dirty areas.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Caufield-Suzuki-Roy
RHP-PLD-Dach

Is a serious possibility at some point next season. I see Roy as a perfect candidate to play with Suzuki with his defensive acumen and ability to get to the dirty areas.
There's usually someone who stands out at camp. We'll see if it's him this year.

I suppose last year it was Guhle and Xhekaj, with Barron not being as ready as expected.

I suppose so far Farrell has not appeared as ready as expected. Can't wait for camp - though of course I'm stoked for the draft and to see if HuGo make any offseason moves. I have a feeling this offseason will be as quiet as this TDL. But we'll see...

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
There's usually someone who stands out at camp. We'll see if it's him this year.

I suppose last year it was Guhle and Xhekaj, with Barron not being as ready as expected.

I suppose so far Farrell has not appeared as ready as expected. Can't wait for camp - though of course I'm stoked for the draft and to see if HuGo make any offseason moves. I have a feeling this offseason will be as quiet as this TDL. But we'll see...
I guess it’ll all come down to whether or not we pull the trigger on PLD this summer.

If we don’t, I think you’re right we’ll see a relatively quiet off-season where Hughes is patient and just drafts accordingly. It’s a smart approach, all things considered.

We have a guaranteed Top-7 pick, there’s a chance that player could end up on our roster next season (no brainer if it’s Bedard).

Another season of drafting & development is exactly what this team needs.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Molasses?! He isn't a speedster but he Also isn't as slow as you're saying. I look at Roy and I see him as the best prospect we have in the organization. Better than Slaf, better than Hutson. And he might be better than anyone we pick in this year's draft. Aside from Bedard or Michkov.
Lolol, what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad