Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Roy is 2 years older and skates like molasses. I’d love to be excited for him but I’m not.
I saw him play live around february and i left the game pretty disappointed. I guess i went to one of his bad games it happens but i can’t get myself to be excited about him anymore even if i want to :laugh:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Going to be fun to watch Roy, Heineman Farrell, Slaf & RHP all push for opening day roster spots...

And any of them going to Laval is still all good.

We are on the cusp of a very great period of top 9 talent like we haven't seen in decades

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
No Slaf almost wasted a year of good maturation and confidence building that he would have been able to achieve in the OHL. Roy on the other hand worked on his overall game, we saw that at WJC, and also with Sherbrooke.
Why are you talking about Slaf in this thread? They're not the same beast at all.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ya I never understood those that said Farrell was better than Roy. Roy is legit.

They were always close, but Farrell had the Olympics exposure and then the Worlds. So he had been tested at a higher level, and has a polished defensive and PK game.

The reasoning was that both are highly intelligent and skilled players but Farrell had more paths to being a NHLer due to his defensive game and being a strong PKer. Roy has developed his game more this year so things get tighter.

I'm not going to change my evaluation until I see Roy against AHL competition regularly at this point. Remember last year, everyone had Roy really high then he played one AHL game and people cried about his skating and dropped him way down? I think people are going to use Farrells adaptation NHL games to knock him down even if he showed steady build across his last few games.

Luckily we have both. Doesn't really matter who is better.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Toffoli has mde as good career with similar tools.
And if we can ultimately trade Roy for any where near the return that we secured for Toffoli, then the drafting of Roy will go down as one of the team’s astutest draft moves of all time.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Roy is 2 years older and skates like molasses. I’d love to be excited for him but I’m not.
Molasses?! He isn't a speedster but he Also isn't as slow as you're saying. I look at Roy and I see him as the best prospect we have in the organization. Better than Slaf, better than Hutson. And he might be better than anyone we pick in this year's draft. Aside from Bedard or Michkov.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Exactly. Roy himself mentioned that the Canadiens, and particularly Adam Nicholas, told him they're not focused on his production because they know it will be there. What they asked him to do is round out his game because it's the things he needed to do to help him when he turns pro.

And we saw what he was like at the WJC. That was him playing a more well rounded game, playing on the PP, on the PK, top line or bottom-9.

So it makes no sense to say it's a wasted year of development.

Thats really nice to read. It seems its the first time in like 10 years that I read that a junior player drafted by the Habs got pointers by the team.

The most I've read over the years was how they talk about disliking hockey after being part of the organization.... so really I'm just popping in this thread because I'm happy and hopeful that the tean can bring talented players like Roy to the next level FINALLY

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Because I am frustrated that they made that unforced error. Forget what kind of beasts they are, Slaf may be of another kind, but his place was in the OHL this year. You suggest that he is exceptionnal in some way and it's not true. He was a non unanimous first overall in what looks like a weak draft year. He will not be better than Suzuki or Guhle that both played two junior seasons post draft. That idea that he needed to play in the NHL at 18 to learn to play in the NHL is simply foolish as is the idea that he needed to play in Montréal because by doing so he was in the hands of "development" geniuses. He needed to mature and dominate a league, maybe Hughes and Gorton feared that he would not dominate in the OHL.

Why are you talking about Slaf in this thread? They're not the same beast at all.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
They were always close, but Farrell had the Olympics exposure and then the Worlds. So he had been tested at a higher level, and has a polished defensive and PK game.

The reasoning was that both are highly intelligent and skilled players but Farrell had more paths to being a NHLer due to his defensive game and being a strong PKer. Roy has developed his game more this year so things get tighter.

I'm not going to change my evaluation until I see Roy against AHL competition regularly at this point. Remember last year, everyone had Roy really high then he played one AHL game and people cried about his skating and dropped him way down? I think people are going to use Farrells adaptation NHL games to knock him down even if he showed steady build across his last few games.

Luckily we have both. Doesn't really matter who is better.
I agree Farrell shouldn’t be knocked for his adaptation games… but what happened to liking upside? Roy has more upside easily. Both are skilled but Roy has special offensive vision on the ice and has decent size to him as well. I think he has a chance to be a really productive player. The ceiling is just way higher imo. Farrell could be decently productive if everything goes well, and may well be more rounded, but Roy has legit top line upside while Farrells more a middle 6 guy when it comes to his upside. Even if Farrell has a higher floor, say that if a Jordan Weal, who cares? Those guys are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: Gael

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
The question mark for me with Roy is whether or not he will cheat in the AHL or in the NHL.

He took some shifts off this season, but when he went with Team Canada, he was at 100% every times and thats what he will need at the pro level.

He was a cheater in the MAAA, again with Saint John and less with Sherbrooke. That is what worrying me. Not his skating. He is really smart, skills, one of the best player at 1vs1, he has a good shot, he is able to bring the puck in a danger area and create scoring chances. Defensively way better when he doesnt cheat.

For me, everything is in his hands. If he wants to succeed, he will. He just needs to stay the foot on the gas pedal every shifts, every games.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree Farrell shouldn’t be knocked for his adaptation games… but what happened to liking upside? Roy has more upside easily. Both are skilled but Roy has special offensive vision on the ice and has decent size to him as well. I think he has a chance to be a really productive player. The ceiling is just way higher imo. Farrell could be decently productive if everything goes well, and may well be more rounded, but Roy has legit top line upside while Farrells more a middle 6 guy when it comes to his upside. Even if Farrell has a higher floor, say that if a Jordan Weal, who cares? Those guys are a dime a dozen.

I think they have similar upsides offensively.. so when the difference in their upside offensively is negligible, I'm going to put the more polished defensive/PK player ahead, especially when they've had moments of producing at a good clip against professional players, and NHLers.

We will see how Roy's development continues, but right now it's still L1 or L2 role for Roy, where I still see L1, L2 and a bottom 6 role possible for Farrell.

But I'm also not super passionate about it, someone wants to put Roy ahead, go for it.. it's a totally valid opinion. We have both, so in the end, I don't think it matters who is better, just that it's nice we finally have multiple players of this quality and upside in the system.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
NHL is not a speed skating competition. Tyler Toffoli just had 73 pts and he doesn't have the skating of a Charles Hamelin.
Yes, skating is good but is not everything. I don't get all the negativity on this thread (and others).
Nobody expect Roy to become the next Ovy, There is ton of examples of players who were not fast skaters and did well. Bossy, Robitaille, Toffoli, etc. Even Gretz wasn't that fast.

Roy have a flair for the scoring chances, he goes at the right spot at the right time. He will improve his skating enough I beleive.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Yes, skating is good but is not everything. I don't get all the negativity on this thread (and others).
Nobody expect Roy to become the next Ovy, There is ton of examples of players who were not fast skaters and did well. Bossy, Robitaille, Toffoli, etc. Even Gretz wasn't that fast.

Roy have a flair for the scoring chances, he goes at the right spot at the right time. He will improve his skating enough I beleive.

He quickly adapts to whatever is asked of him on the ice. I see a special player, and I think he'll have chemistry with any line on the ice. I'm excited to see him in the AHL.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Exactly. Roy himself mentioned that the Canadiens, and particularly Adam Nicholas, told him they're not focused on his production because they know it will be there. What they asked him to do is round out his game because it's the things he needed to do to help him when he turns pro.

And we saw what he was like at the WJC. That was him playing a more well rounded game, playing on the PP, on the PK, top line or bottom-9.

So it makes no sense to say it's a wasted year of development.
Suzuki had basically a flat D+1 with his draft year production because the Panthers told him to work on his 200 foot game. He did. In D+2 the Habs asked him to increase his tempo , decision making. He did.

So for 2 years 2 teams were not focused on production, but instead focus was on other aspects of the game. And here he is.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Suzuki had basically a flat D+1 with his draft year production because the Panthers told him to work on his 200 foot game. He did. In D+2 the Habs asked him to increase his tempo , decision making. He did.

So for 2 years 2 teams were not focused on production, but instead focus was on other aspects of the game. And here he is.
Panthers?

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Going to be fun to watch Roy, Heineman Farrell, Slaf & RHP all push for opening day roster spots...

And any of them going to Laval is still all good.

We are on the cusp of a very great period of top 9 talent like we haven't seen in decades
This reminds me of when we had Plekanec, Higgins, Ryder, Dagenais, Ribeiro, Kostitsyn 1, Kostitsyn 2, amongst others.

Let's just hope that this flock of top-niners are better than them. Then, we'd be sitting pretty as Frack.

And if we can ultimately trade Roy for any where near the return that we secured for Toffoli, then the drafting of Roy will go down as one of the team’s astutest draft moves of all time.
When would you be trading Roy, exactly? Now, or later on in his career like we did with Toffoli?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
When would you be trading Roy, exactly? Now, or later on in his career like we did with Toffoli?
When we will be trading Roy ... I'm speechless, I could say when we will be trading Farrell, or Suzuki, or Caufield or Ghule, or Mailloux, or Slaf, etc. The guy hasn't played a single game in NHL and AHL, and someone write when we will be trading that player. Is there is something in the water they drink, or substance some folks smoke? Lol. Hello earth is calling, hello earth is calling that spaceship lost in space.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Roy produced pretty damn well, offensively as he worked on other aspects of his game. It's not like he dropped to a PPG while rounding out his defensive game, for example.

I don't see the concerns about Roy, even if, yes, improving his skating, primarily the explosion of his first few strides, wouldn't hurt.

The ability to outdistance the opponent quickly works wonders in making quit the chase. It's the same thing in football for a receiver or a running back that breaks through the mass es on the field.

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
When we will be trading Roy ... I'm speechless, I could say when we will be trading Farrell, or Suzuki, or Caufield or Ghule, or Mailloux, or Slaf, etc. The guy hasn't played a single game in NHL and AHL, and someone write when we will be trading that player. Is there is something in the water they drink, or substance some folks smoke? Lol. Hello earth is calling, hello earth is calling that spaceship lost in space.
I'm responding to a poster that said it will be great if, eventually, we get as much as we got for Toffoli when we trade Roy?

I'm thinking that the nicest way to couch that is that, as his career winds down in Montreal, if we can get as good a return for Roy, it will mean that he was a helluva player for us.

But, I asked the question to see if the poster meant he would be eager to trade Roy right away if we could get a 1st round pick and a prospect back today?

I have big hopes for Roy and, no, I would not trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad