Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Roy is getting some high praise from alot of people.................I have friends who are Leaf fans, who are thiking this kid was a draft steal..........so far so good.
Habs or Laval next year?
Id like to think Laval, but that may ultimately depend on what our roster turnover looks like after the deadline and the draft.

We have a few players that won’t be returning and I don’t see Hughes going after any big fish in free agency. There’s a decent chance we could see both Roy and Farrell in Habs jerseys come October. I’d like to think Ylonen becomes a regular though, he seems like he could be a good bottom 6er.

Reactions: Nedved and BLONG7

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Roy is getting some high praise from alot of people.................I have friends who are Leaf fans, who are thiking this kid was a draft steal..........so far so good.
Habs or Laval next year?
Depends what the main club looks like at camp. Habs still have too many forwards vet with terms on the team. The UFAs not being resigned only open one spot on 13 from this year roster and Farrell will probably take it once his NCAA season is over this year.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Depends what the main club looks like at camp. Habs still have too many forwards vet with terms on the team. The UFAs not being resigned only open one spot on 13 from this year roster and Farrell will probably take it once his NCAA season is over this year.

Probably looking at:

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Farrell-Dach-Anderson
Hoffman-Dvorak-Gallagher
XXX-Evans-Armia

next year unless we get a big trade. So it will be between Ylonen, RHP, Pezzetta, and Roy for the final 2 roster spots. Pezz will get the nod because he can be scratched at will. Ylonen and RHP are waiver eligible next year I think.. so they'll want to find a way to get them in.

Reactions: morhilane

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He kind of reminds me of Suzuki in a way. Average size and not the fleetest of foot, but very high IQ and skill level. He doesn’t have the defensive acumen of Suzuki, and isn’t a center man so won’t be that quality overall, but I do think he could be that level offensively.
Roy-Beck-Anderson has the makings of a very solid 3rd line w complementary components

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Probably looking at:

Farrell-Dach-Anderson
Hoffman-Dvorak-Gallagher
XXX-Evans-Armia

next year unless we get a big trade. So it will be between Ylonen, RHP, Pezzetta, and Roy for the final 2 roster spots. Pezz will get the nod because he can be scratched at will. Ylonen and RHP are waiver eligible next year I think.. so they'll want to find a way to get them in.

This lineup is more palatable but please HuGo get rid of at least one of Hoffman or Armia.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Id like to think Laval, but that may ultimately depend on what our roster turnover looks like after the deadline and the draft.

We have a few players that won’t be returning and I don’t see Hughes going after any big fish in free agency. There’s a decent chance we could see both Roy and Farrell in Habs jerseys come October. I’d like to think Ylonen becomes a regular though, he seems like he could be a good bottom 6er.
Farrell and Heineman.

I can only see those two.

Probably looking at:

Farrell-Dach-Anderson
Hoffman-Dvorak-Gallagher
XXX-Evans-Armia

Heineman

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Don't think Heineman is gonna make the line-up next year over waiver eligible players like RHP and Ylonen. Especially since his SHL year hasn't been lighting the world on fire.. definitely a candidate to start in Laval until space opens up.
Ylonen is a better prospect than Heineman at this point, IMO.

The only reason Roy doesn’t make it before either of them is to give him more time to work on his skating in the A.

Reactions: jaffy27

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Don't think Heineman is gonna make the line-up next year over waiver eligible players like RHP and Ylonen. Especially since his SHL year hasn't been lighting the world on fire.. definitely a candidate to start in Laval until space opens up.
I don’t expect a 20 year old to light the world on fire in a defensive league on the 3rd line with guys who has respectively 5 and 8 points lol

Would’ve made the team this season if it wasn’t for all the vets they have.

He’s better than both RHP and Ylonen.

The only reason Roy doesn’t make it before either of them is to give him more time to work on his skating in the A.

How? Heineman has a physical edge in his game that Ylonen won’t ever have. Heineman is build better to play on a 3rd line.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I don’t expect a 20 year old to light the world on fire in a defensive league on the 3rd line with guys who has respectively 5 and 8 points lol

Would’ve made the team this season if it wasn’t for all the vets they have.

He’s better than both RHP and Ylonen.

How? Heineman has a physical edge in his game that Ylonen won’t ever have. Heineman is build better to play on a 3rd line.
Heineman is going to be a good one! I love his combo of IQ, skating and his shooting ability off the rush.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
I'm a big fan of this kid but no way will he be in Montreal next year. He needs at least one year in Laval. For two reasons. To acclimatize himself to the pros and to continue improving on his skating.
You think it's easier to work on your skating in the AHL? I'm actually asking because I don't know. It's about 10 less games a season but a lot of bus rides and shitty food on the road, so it's not like they have more practice or gym time (unless I'm wrong).

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
So Draft +1 Prospects can play
but Draft +2 no
So for next year's tournament the 2021 draft class are ineligible. Am I understanding correctly?

Technically yes.

The cut off is they can’t turn 20 before the calendar year is over, so if a player turns 20 on January 1st - they are eligible to play.

Reactions: HankyZetts

LesHabitants

Oct 20, 2022

You forgot Connor Bedard.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
After seeing him in that tournament, I think he becomes a regular with the big team next season.
I dont think we should systematically get our Junior players to jump straight to the NHL. If roy does well in Laval and is the most productive player there, he should perhaps get a call-up after Christmas, to get a taste of the NHL's pace mid-season and then be sent back down to work on whatever needs to be worked on. He can always be recalled after the trade deadline if all keeps going well...

Only one spot?

Drouin, Dadonov and Monahan. Two spots, at least and remaining vets shouldn't hold back youngsters that are playing better than them.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Roy-Beck-Anderson has the makings of a very solid 3rd line w complementary components
By the time both Roy and Beck are NHLers, it might well be Roy - Beck - Heineman instead. Heineman has better defensive awareness than Anderson, also plays a physical brand of hockey with speed and a wicked shot.

The defensive skills foundation of Roy-Beck-Heineman would guarantee more TOI to exploit their offensive upside.

This lineup is more palatable but please HuGo get rid of at least one of Hoffman or Armia.
Hoffman is not a crippling buyout on an expiring contract next season if he can't be moved otherwise.

How so?

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He has progressed a great deal compared to where he was less than two years ago. But if Roy was put in the NHL right now he'd be clearly below-average in basically every facet of pure skating skills, be it acceleration, agility, pivots, and straight-line speed.

His technique also isn't the cleanest, so if he played pro right now then Roy would expend more energy than your average NHLer to compensate for that weakness, leading to him having less "juice" to execute plays all over the ice.

To be completely frank, I think that the only facet of Roy's skating that would be "NHL average" right now would be his edges, but that's not enough to go on and enjoy real success at that level. Not unless you're a physical freak and big as an ox, which Roy clearly is not.

But in his draft year, Roy was much more than "below-average" for the NHL level as far as his skating went. For those who remember, I personally think that Douglas Murray from when he played with us would have been seen as a "Fast Boiii" in comparison to Roy's skating ability back at the summer of the 2021 draft.

So yeah, the difference is quite striking when you compare Joshua Roy's skating now as opposed to where it was before he fixed his conditioning, trained under a power-skating coach, and started going to the gym more.

But he still has tons of things to improve in that aspect before he ever makes it into the pro leagues. I believe that he still has lots of gains to go through physically that should help him be a faster, more explosive skater on the ice, but he will also need to clean up that skating technique of his quite a bit before he can be an effective NHLer.

More specifically, I'm talking about less torso rotation, a lower skating stance, increased ankle flexion, more fluid cross-overs/less choppy stride, and more still when it comes to technique.

Accessorily, as far as how much current Habs development team helps him, we don't have the inside story so it's very tough to gauge really. But, as I've said, difference is quite striking between now and 18 months ago, and progression seems to be ongoing so Montreal (and Sherbrooke too) must be doing something right.

As far as I see it, I think/hope Joshua Roy might in fact be one of those guys who manages to actually fully mitigate a skating weakness that he had when drafted. And those types of guys generally go on to enjoy long and very successful careers in the NHL, so let's hope it is indeed the case with Roy.
Good hockey players don’t need to be amazing skaters. All this scientific skating crap doesn’t mean crap if he is a good hockey player. Lots of players in the NHL look like donkeys skating and yet put up points and carve out careers.

Roy has the IT factor. He will make the NHL no doubt.

Only thing I see holding him back is if he wants to play super rough and tough bang en up NHL brand hockey for any extended period of time.

Many skilled players don’t want to play Jail Hockey ( NHL ) so they stop trying once in the NHL

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad