Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
He’s improved his skating, but he can improve it even more. That he wins the scoring championship in the Q has no importance. He’ll be a pro if he can get his skating to a decent level. Just get a skating coach and practice it non stop.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Bergevin was never given a rebuild mandate. He was given a fake reset mandate, and he did well accumulating draft picks and it helped Timmins to do a better job. I say he was given a fake reset mandate because not long after they made the awful hostile offer to Aho and it was based on an hypothetic financial vulnerability of the Canes owner. This did not come from Bergevin, it came from Molson and/or co-owners. So impossible to compare HuGo to Bergevin. In 2012 Molson did not want to hear about a rebuild. Now he seems to have finally understood the reality of the NHL.

You see it the same as me. Because Bergevin had long term vision flaws and didn't get us where we wanted to go, it's spinned into him being horrible at everything. Same with Timmins.

Why can't the truth be in the middle vs it being overly one sided at opposite ends? I just don't get it. There is always someone in the target window I guess. Someone has to always be "blamed"

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Insane how a billion dollar company invested so few in it's product...

The hockey equivalent of buying back shares instead of investing in R&D.

1092445074.jpg.0.jpg

The guys hired Franky and Ramage did next to nothing. A nutrition pdf and a call...you might get a visit as a top100 or local pick. Bouillon said himself on french tv he did not do much. Adam Nicholas and the other hires are next level. Bergevin fanboys are hilarious.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I clearly see he’s improved his skating since the last WJC. Yes he got a great WJC but he’ll burn himself if he’s satisfied with that level of skating. He has high offensive IQ that he can’t lose. He has it. But the skating technique needs to be everything in his life from now on.

Reactions: Runner77

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
You believe that cr*p. Anyway, Ramage and Bouillon are still there and they are from the Bergevin era. There is a lot of magical thinking from the anti-Bergevin crowd since HuGo took over. We see it with Saint-Louis now, the magician is a mere human. Also, Adman Nicholas has no secret recipe to turn average AHL players into good NHL ones. I am not taking anything away from the new people, except Bobrov, but this idea that a seismic change happened in hockey ops is BS. Except for Bobrov allthe scouts are the same, as I said, Ramage and Bouillon are still there, Burrows, Letowski, J-F Houle are still there. So give us a break.
No, the original group was just understaffed and didn’t have time to focus. If you honestly think about it how much time does it take to properly evaluate a players game without an analytics department and then put a training plan together. Probably upwards of 5 games for each player. Which isn’t feasible for the original group of three guys. Since then theyve built out the department, there will be ups and downs but the team is definitely way ahead of where it was a year ago in terms of prospect performance.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Harris, Xehkaj, Slafkovsky, they all made it directly to the NHL after playing two or more years at lower levels post first draft eligibility, all except for Slaf, which should tell us something. Again, many are confusing natural maturation with developpment. Hockey is not rocket science. There is no developpment miracle, it's always confused with players that were far from their maturation ceiling when drafted, while most busts were closer than expected to their maturation ceiling. Maturation involves physical and mental aspects of a player. The things Roy needed to improve upon were visible to anybody that knows hockey a little and what he still need to work upon is also visible.

He improved his skating since drafted, but he still need to improve if he aims to become a very good player. He reminds me so much of Suzuki in that regard. Both still needed to improve their speed at 19, both were cerebral players that needed to be more involved physically. Please, remember what Suzuki was just after his WJC at 19. Some were talking about bust possibility and skills good enough for the OHL, but that would not translate to NHL. Forget the Suzuki you know today. Remember the 19.5 years old one.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Sorry, all that is BS. It's a marginal improvement at best. 90% of the outcome is within the player at the draft, talent, will, mental strenght, and remaining natural maturation from ceiling. For example, take Lane Hutson, it's asimple example. He has talent and will, likely mental strenght, but the key is how far is he from the ceiling of his physical maturation. No coaching or development will change that. They factor for him is to grow physically, if he does,he has the other aspects.

No, the original group was just understaffed and didn’t have time to focus. If you honestly think about it how much time does it take to properly evaluate a players game without an analytics department and then put a training plan together. Probably upwards of 5 games for each player. Which isn’t feasible for the original group of three guys. Since then theyve built out the department, there will be ups and downs but the team is definitely way ahead of where it was a year ago in terms of prospect performance.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Roy currently playing at a level clearly above Shane Wright...

Wright clearly possesses greater physical tools.

So the question becomes, which player progresses further from now till they hit their pro prime level.

I'd put money on Roy. He clearly has had the hockey talent for years, but in the past two he has figured out the grit side of making the most of one's attributes...

Going to be a fun prospect to watch develop over the next 2-3yrs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Roy currently playing at a level clearly above Shane Wright...

Wright clearly possesses greater physical tools.

So the question becomes, which player progresses further from now till they hit their pro prime level.

I'd put money on Roy. He clearly has had the hockey talent for years, but in the past two he has figured out the grit side of making the most of one's attributes...

Going to be a fun prospect to watch develop over the next 2-3yrs

Skating, skating, skating

Reactions: Rob Sense

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
The hockey equivalent of buying back shares instead of investing in R&D.

1092445074.jpg.0.jpg

The guys hired Franky and Ramage did next to nothing. A nutrition pdf and a call...you might get a visit as a top100 or local pick. Bouillon said himself on french tv he did not do much. Adam Nicholas and the other hires are next level. Bergevin fanboys are hilarious.
And they won't go away. Anyway Bergie is happy running coffee for the staff in LA. Better than flipping burgers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Meh... Was more than adequate vs the best of his generation.

If he had another gear right now, we'd be talking about Roy being a lock first line/elite future NHLer... A level he may well achieve even despite his less than elite skating level.

Let's hope. Skating just seems to be the only thing that could potentially hold him back from various levels of success. But it's a biggy...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If this is the new approach of this new development team... then it's absolutely mind boggling that the previous crew wouldn't do this. Isn't this, like, the basic of development? Telling prospects what they need to work on?
Bedard said that Roy is the smartest player he has ever played with.

Yes. They just let the player do whatever.
I don't think this is true at all. An easy pot shot, not much else. Prior management and development team sent Suzuki back to Juniors with the mission to work on the pace of his game, exactly what they told Roy this time around with new management and a new development team.

Reactions: Habs Icing

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Meh... Was more than adequate vs the best of his generation.

If he had another gear right now, we'd be talking about Roy being a lock first line/elite future NHLer... A level he may well achieve even despite his less than elite skating level.
After seeing him in that tournament, I think he becomes a regular with the big team next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad