Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Roy remind me of Chris Higgins. A guy that can chip in with some offense on a third line that is very good on defensive mission. His role in Sherbrooke is not a good reference to gauge his NHL utility. Could play on a second line if team needs it. Not fast but smart.

I see Ferrell with more upside too. More speed, more skill, more hockey IQ. TOP 6.
I have never seen Ferrell play . I don’t remember him playing at the world juniors if he ever did ? And with his ncaa status, he’s never been compared to nhl players since he can’t take part in the training camp and pre season games. Also he’s 2~3 years older than Roy, so that makes the comparison even harder , since Roy has taken leaps and bounds in his development in the last 18 months.
so if you are right, we have 2 very promising prospects.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I have never seen Ferrell play . I don’t remember him playing at the world juniors if he ever did ? And with his ncaa status, he’s never been compared to nhl players since he can’t take part in the training camp and pre season games. Also he’s 2~3 years older than Roy, so that makes the comparison even harder , since Roy has taken leaps and bounds in his development in the last 18 months.
so if you are right, we have 2 very promising prospects.

Farrell was never at the WJCs but he was at the Olympics and World Championships last year.

Both times he started on the 4th line and ended up being a key fixture on their PK and out there defending leads.

and he was very productive in a bottom 6 role both times.

1672927444017.png

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
And with all being said, we have to remember the kid is a 5th round pick. He ‘could’ very well be our best late round pick since forever ( not saying he’ll have a career like Gallagher) and overtake a great bunch of guys picked earlier than him.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Wright is an outstanding skater
The thing with Wright though, is that guy was technically a 1OA if Habs did thing differently, and frankly I have seen nothing from him that was outstanding in that tournament. He is obviously talented, but he is D+1 and I wooud have expected more from him. This just shows how unlucky we were to get 1OA in a weak draft like that.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The thing with Wright though, is that guy was technically a 1OA if Habs did thing differently, and frankly I have seen nothing from him that was outstanding in that tournament. He is obviously talented, but he is D+1 and I wooud have expected more from him. This just shows how unlucky we were to get 1OA in a weak draft like that.

He has had a very good tournament but I would agree that he does not look like a player that should have gone 1 OA. His insistence on playing the Gallagher role is puzzling......the kid has alot of elite qualities such as his skating, shooting, passing, IQ are all 1 OA quality but whatever is happening between his ears is beyond me at this point. The more I see the more I suspect that there may be some spectrum issues as he seems to entirely commit to a style of play but changes it every year...?

He does not seem to even function on the same social wavelength as his teammates........there is a very strange disconnect there that I am not so sure is by choice or merely just an oddity. I met him and his parents when he was younger and he seemed like a nice kid, it was difficult to assess his makeup as there was already alot of attention on him. I just really hope everything works out well for him as HuGo appears to have wisely passed on bringing him to the circus in Montreal.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Habs were wise to pick Joshua Roy that far in the draft. But it’s hard to believe that we actually drafted Dmitri Kostenko and Daniil Sobolev BEFORE him...
Bruins can say the same about Bergeron drafted 2nd round. But at least they drafted him. Same with Wings with Lidstrom 3rd round and others. Picked a bit late but at least they picked him. That's what matters at the end.

Imagine Timmins picked Bergeron what the Habs would be today and what we would think of Timmins. Imagine TT picked Carter or Getzlaf or Perry instead of "don't care full of talent" Kostitsyn.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He’s showing a lot of good traits that translate well to the NHL. IQ, positioning, shot, willingness to engage physically, relentless puck pursuit.

People that have followed him know this already, but he’s showing it at the highest possible level he can right now.

It doesn’t guarantee anything, but it helps us affirm our position that he’s a pretty good prospect.
He looks strong for a guy of his size. It's like if he is 2 inches taller. He doesn't look like a player who will fall often on the ice. The last game I saw Gally fall on the ice almost by himself, 2 times in 3 minutes, I hate seeing that.

He had a nice backhand goal and an empty net goal. Not to mention 2 assists and he played excellent on the PK tonight(nearly scored on a short handed break away).

By far the best skater for Canada tonight.
Good to see he had a strong game when it matters the most. Character guy.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Yes he did during one of the intermissions. Not bad for someone who never played PK. I see this kid becoming another Carbo
It's what I was thinking as well. I haven't much of him previously except in highlights but based on what I've seen in this tournament, he seems to have the same type of on ice intelligence and awareness. "Pourvu que ça dure" against the Czechs.

Reactions: sharknado

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
TC teammates weren’t over-selling him with their pre-tournament comments. Good to see.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Engels was on Marinaro's podcast last night and he shared a story about Roy and giving an example of the Habs' new development and analytics team.

He said before the World Juniors, the Habs' development team went to watch Roy at Sherbrooke. They already know he's producing at will there. But when they went to watch him and in addition to the data they've gathered on him, they saw that he was producing, but he wasn't doing much else. He wasn't getting his nose dirty or going in the corners or to the net front traffic enough.

So they spoke to him and explained to him that they don't care about his production. They already know he can produce. But what they want to do is make him into an NHL player. So they explained to him what they want him to work on. And credit to Roy, he started to do that more. And his production didn't take a hit. He just became a more complete player.

And what we're seeing from him at the WJC is things the Canadiens asked him to do more of.

And Engels said they've done that with other prospects, as well.

TC teammates weren’t over-selling him with their pre-tournament comments. Good to see.

Bedard is a big fan of Roy's. He said that Roy is someone he loves watching.

Jul 6, 2016
I am very glad for Joshua Roy. It is just showing that a change of attitude and training habits (diet, etc..) might have huge repercussions on your performances. The guy was drafted #1 overall three years ag in the Q for some reasons. Nicolas Roy, another high Q draftee was selected in a 4th round few years ago and he is just starting to prove that he belongs at NHL level.

Last edited:

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I am tired of reading that he was just a 5th round pick, and it's not just here that's it brought up all the time. I will repeat it once more, the fact that this kid fell to the end of the 5th round is a collective scouting failure by all the NHL teams, including the Habs that picked 6 players before him. Roy dominated the midget AAA at 15 with two points per game. He was the first overall pick in the Q in 2019. Sherbrooke gave three first round picks and a second rounder to acquire him. The Q people, especially Sherbrooke, knew the potential he had, The team that traded him, Saint John, knew it too because they asked a lot for him.

So it's just impossible to understand why this reality did not translate to the area scouts of NHL teams covering the Q. Yes he had conditionning problems at 16 and 17, but hey, he was just 16 and 17. He was a young teenager that was totally immature. You don't let a very talented player like that drop to the end of the 5th round for reasons like that. I had him at the end of the second round in his draft year only because I thought the league would be stupid enough to let him fall there. If the teams would have contacted Stéphane Julien, his coach and GM in Sherbrooke, and listen to what he had to say, a team would have taken him in the second round.

The fact that the Habs got him at #150 is not something they can be proud of, it's an indictement of how Audette and Boisvert are bad scouts, and/or had no influence on Timmins and Bergevin. And please, give me a break with the HuGo/Nicholas thing to explain why he is that good now. He dominated the Q last year at 18 when they were not even with the team. The guy to thank for Roy's emergence is Stéphane Julien, that is also assistant coach with team Canada. It's under him that things turned around dramatically for Roy. I don't know what the connection between these two is, but Julien found the right approach to allow Roy to bloom up according to his talent level. Roy's story is good example why you need to pick for talent above all else. That's why I liked the Lane Hutson pick. Yes he is very small for a D, but the elite talent is there. So taking a bet that he will grow a couple inches was a good decision. You don't get this level of talent at the end of the second round if everything is perfect. If Roy had produced at 1.5 points per game at 17, he would have been a top-15, if Hutson would have been 5'11" and 170, he would have been a top-10.

Last edited:

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Sorry, Roy said himself at the end of last season that he needed to work on these aspects. It was clear as day. No need to be a hockey genius to know that. Good that Habs people reitarated that to him to reinforce the message, but Roy knew it and his coach Julien knew it. In the same way, he knew that he needed to improve his speed. There are limits to take credit for breaking into open doors.

Engels was on Marinaro's podcast last night and he shared a story about Roy and giving an example of the Habs' new development and analytics team.

He said before the World Juniors, the Habs' development team went to watch Roy at Sherbrooke. They already know he's producing at will there. But when they went to watch him and in addition to the data they've gathered on him, they saw that he was producing, but he wasn't doing much else. He wasn't getting his nose dirty or going in the corners or to the net front traffic enough.

So they spoke to him and explained to him that they don't care about his production. They already know he can produce. But what they want to do is make him into an NHL player. So they explained to him what they want him to work on. And credit to Roy, he started to do that more. And his production didn't take a hit. He just became a more complete player.

And what we're seeing from him at the WJC is things the Canadiens asked him to do more of.

And Engels said they've done that with other prospects, as well.

Bedard is a big fan of Roy's. He said that Roy is someone he loves watching.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sorry, Roy said himself at the end of last season that he needed to work on these aspects. It was clear as day. No need to be a hockey genius to know that. Good that Habs people reitarated that to him to reinforce the message, but Roy knew it and his coach Julien knew it. In the same way, he knew that he needed to improve his speed. There are limits to take credit for breaking into open doors.

You mean the people that were there when Roy's season ended and he could have been echoing what they told him he needed to work on?

Adam Nicholas was hired last March. Boucher was hired in May. Roy's year ended in June when he was with Laval.

I am very glad for Joshua Roy. It is just showing that a change of attitude and training habits (diet, etc..) might have huge repercussions on your performances. The guy was drafted #1 overall three years ag in the Q for some reasons. Nicolas Roy, another high Q draftee was selected in a 4th round few years ago and he is just starting to prove that he belongs at NHL level.

I guess it's a Roy thing. :sarcasm:

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I am tired of reading that he was just a 5th round pick, and it's not just here that's it brought up all the time. I will repeat it once more, the fact that this kid fell to the end of the 5th round is a collective scouting failure by all the NHL teams, including the Habs that picked 6 players before him. Roy dominated the midget AAA at 15 with two points per game. He was the first overall pick in the Q in 2019. Sherbrooke gave three first round picks and a second rounder to acquire him. The Q people, especially Sherbrooke, knew the potential he had, The team that traded him, Saint John, knew it too because they asked a lot for him.

So it's just impossible to understand why this reality did not translate to the area scouts of NHL teams covering the Q. Yes he had conditionning problems at 16 and 17, but hey, he was just 16 and 17. He was a young teenager that was totally immature. You don't let a very talented player like that drop to the end of the 5th round for reasons like that. I had him at the end of the second round in his draft year only because I thought the league would be stupid enough to let him fall there. If the teams would have contacted Stéphane Julien, his coach and GM in Sherbrooke, and listen to what he had to say, a team would have taken him in the second round.

The fact that the Habs got him at #150 is not something they can be proud of, it's an indictement of how Audette and Boisvert are bad scouts, and/or had no influence on Timmins and Bergevin. And please, give me a break with the HuGo/Nicholas thing to explain why he is that good now. He dominated the Q last year at 18 when they were not even with the team. The guy to thank for Roy's emergence is Stéphane Julien, that is also assistant coach with team Canada. It's under him that things turned around dramatically for Roy. I don't know what the connection between these two is, but Julien found the right approach to allow Roy to bloom up according to his talent level. Roy's story is good example why you need to pick for talent above all else. That's why I liked the Lane Hutson pick. Yes he is very small for a D, but the elite talent is there. So taking a bet that he will grow a couple inches was a good decision. You don't get this level of talent at the end of the second round if everything is perfect. If Roy had produced at 1.5 points per game at 17, he would have been a top-15, if Hutson would have been 5'11" and 170, he would have been a top-10.
Olivier Archambault was also a first overall pick in the LHJMQ, junior draft pedigree means nothing

Reactions: Sagikev

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He has had a very good tournament but I would agree that he does not look like a player that should have gone 1 OA. His insistence on playing the Gallagher role is puzzling......the kid has alot of elite qualities such as his skating, shooting, passing, IQ are all 1 OA quality but whatever is happening between his ears is beyond me at this point. The more I see the more I suspect that there may be some spectrum issues as he seems to entirely commit to a style of play but changes it every year...?

He does not seem to even function on the same social wavelength as his teammates........there is a very strange disconnect there that I am not so sure is by choice or merely just an oddity. I met him and his parents when he was younger and he seemed like a nice kid, it was difficult to assess his makeup as there was already alot of attention on him. I just really hope everything works out well for him as HuGo appears to have wisely passed on bringing him to the circus in Montreal.
I have a bias in that I'd be surprised if anybody on the autism spectrum would have the hand eye coordination to get anywhere near the NHL.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
That isn't remotely true.....hand/eye has nothing to do with being on the spectrum.
There have been quite a few studies done on the matter, and a quick search using ''hand-eye coordination autism'' on scholar.google.com yields papers that found a correlation. Some researchers are trying to do a neuroplasticity-based approach (they're using videogames to stimulate the motor cortices) to rectify certain delays in hand-eye coordination in children with ASD.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
There have been quite a few studies done on the matter, and a quick search using ''hand-eye coordination autism'' on scholar.google.com yields papers that found a correlation. Some researchers are trying to do a neuroplasticity-based approach (they're using videogames to stimulate the motor cortices) to rectify certain delays in hand-eye coordination in children with ASD.

We are talking about people on the fringe of the spectrum who can't even be accurately diagnosed though. These test results are for far more acute cases.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Archambault was not close to Roy at all in Midget AAA and he was 6 months older. All first overall are not equal. You should know that. It's like saying Yakupov and McDavid should be the same because both were 1st overall.

Olivier Archambault was also a first overall pick in the LHJMQ, junior draft pedigree means nothing

Reactions: HankyZetts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad