Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Yeah, no.

I keep hearing this talking point from a nucleus of 2-3 posters, but I don't buy it by a long shot.

Thankfully we can just be happy to have all 3 in the system.

I think it is hard to compare at the moment because Farrell was too old for the WJC U20 this year. It would have been nice to see all of them at the same time. Farrell definitely has the more impressive achievement, playing on the USA Olympics team and being one of the top scorers in the tournament. Granted, NHL players weren't there, but there were still a lot of older players available or other prospects that could have went and/or have the impact he had.

I think Farrell is more polished than Roy and Beck at the moment. In terms of absolute upside, it is very hard to say. It seems like Roy constantly finds another gear to impress, so I wouldn't bet against him to be the most impactful. Farrell, however, seems like a sure bet to be a solid NHLer.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
And he was too old also last year.

I think it is hard to compare at the moment because Farrell was too old for the WJC U20 this year. It would have been nice to see all of them at the same time. Farrell definitely has the more impressive achievement, playing on the USA Olympics team and being one of the top scorers in the tournament. Granted, NHL players weren't there, but there were still a lot of older players available or other prospects that could have went and/or have the impact he had.

I think Farrell is more polished than Roy and Beck at the moment. In terms of absolute upside, it is very hard to say. It seems like Roy constantly finds another gear to impress, so I wouldn't bet against him to be the most impactful. Farrell, however, seems like a sure bet to be a solid NHLer.

Last edited:

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Of Beck Roy Farrell and Mesar:
Biggest lock to make NHL: Beck
Highest upside: Farrell

Roy and Mesar somewhere in the middle. As for Beck, I’m 100% sure he’s a player.
Roy I wasn’t sure about before this tournament but seeing how much he’s improved his skating and general player, I’m really starting to be convinced that he’s a 2nd or 3rd liner. Can move up and down and play PP/PK. I think the Toffoli comparison is excellent.
Mesar I still think has really high upside but I also think there’s a chance he never really plays. Saw some nice things from him this tournament.
Farrell for me is a wild card. I think he has incredible upside but I could see him never playing also. Just a feeling…

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
It's like saying Wright and Guenther already play in the AHL, Fantilli dominates in the NCAA against mostly much older players.

People are hard of understanding. This means nothing. At the same age, Suzuki, also born in August had a camp with the Habs that left everybody wondering. Then he was barely visible at the WJC, and it's only in the OHL playoffs that he finally showed some promises and he made the jump with the Habs at just 20. These kids need to mature. Look where Roy was two years ago, and try to imagine where he will be two years from now. Two years ago, only the hockey people from the Sherbrooke Phoenix had the proper evaluation on Roy. They gave three first round picks and a second rounder to acquire him . That's what you give for ajunior player that was a NHL first round pick or a player that is a clear future first round pick, not a late 5th round pick. Stéphane Julien & al were the only ones seeing the potential Roy still had when he was still with Saint John.

Reactions: jrom

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Roy and Mesar somewhere in the middle. As for Beck, I’m 100% sure he’s a player.
Roy I wasn’t sure about before this tournament but seeing how much he’s improved his skating and general player, I’m really starting to be convinced that he’s a 2nd or 3rd liner. Can move up and down and play PP/PK. I think the Toffoli comparison is excellent.
Mesar I still think has really high upside but I also think there’s a chance he never really plays. Saw some nice things from him this tournament.
Farrell for me is a wild card. I think he has incredible upside but I could see him never playing also. Just a feeling…

The way Roy keeps improving and stepping up in key moments as the levels rise is VERY reminiscent of PK’s development from 07-09.

I’ve been making that Toffoli comp for about a year now. If he can be that good, what a steal for us.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

When you say never plays you mean 0 NHL career game? I think you’re dead wrong on this. All of them will have at least few NHL games. Whether they’ll have a long NHL career remains to be seen. Beck, Farrell and Roy are extremely intelligent players. I think they’ll stick around. Farrell I think has the higher ceiling but Beck with most chances of becoming a regular. I’m personally less convinced of Mesar But I hope I’m wrong.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It's like saying Wright and Guenther already play in the AHL, Fantilli dominates in the NCAA against mostly much older players.

People are hard of understanding. This means nothing. At the same age, Suzuki, also born in August had a camp with the Habs that left everybody wondering. Then he was barely visible at the WJC, and it's only in the OHL playoffs that he finally showed some promises and he made the jump with the Habs at just 20. These kids need to mature. Look where Roy was two years ago, and try to imagine where he will be two years from now. Two years ago, only the hockey people from the Sherbrooke Phoenix had the proper evaluation on Roy. They gave three first round picks and a second rounder to acquire him . That's what you give for ajunior player that was a NHL first round pick or a player that is a clear future first round pick, not a late 5th round pick. Stéphane Julien & al were the only ones seeing the potential Roy still had when he was still with Saint John.

I’m fairly certain had Roy been 1 month older and had to be in the 2022 draft, he would’ve gone top 10.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I love Roy. I love the Toffoli comparison. If he hits that height that is a ok with me.

I love Hutson. He is going to be deadly next year at this tournament.

Beck with more ice time would have established himself as a very good player in this tournament. Does nothing that makes me nervous.

But Bedard....ohhhh Bedard.....please dear lord gift us the great Connor Bedard.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I’m fairly certain had Roy been 1 month older and had to be in the 2022 draft, he would’ve gone top 10.
Not a chance. He had a terrific tournament at both ends of the ice but his skating is still a huge question mark to be effective at the next level. I find his skating painful to watch.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I love Roy. I love the Toffoli comparison. If he hits that height that is a ok with me.

I love Hutson. He is going to be deadly next year at this tournament.

Beck with more ice time would have established himself as a very good player in this tournament. Does nothing that makes me nervous.

But Bedard....ohhhh Bedard.....please dear lord gift us the great Connor Bedard.
Beck could play in Wrights spot and have more of an impact.

I think he’s going to a KEY player in next years WJC, unless of course he’s in MTL.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Now up to 18pts in 13 career WJHC games, among Canadians he’s top-15 all-time in points and in the company of some pretty special players. That’s not to say he will be a top notch player, but top-6 player is looking all more likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad