Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
How was his two goals tonight? I missed another night of hockey. He was named third best canadian player of the tournament so far?
He had a nice backhand goal and an empty net goal. Not to mention 2 assists and he played excellent on the PK tonight(nearly scored on a short handed break away).

By far the best skater for Canada tonight.

MaynardJames

Jul 6, 2007
Quebec
Roy remind me of Chris Higgins. A guy that can chip in with some offense on a third line that is very good on defensive mission. His role in Sherbrooke is not a good reference to gauge his NHL utility. Could play on a second line if team needs it. Not fast but smart.

I see Ferrell with more upside too. More speed, more skill, more hockey IQ. TOP 6.

Reactions: Mr Mom

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
When you say never plays you mean 0 NHL career game? I think you’re dead wrong on this. All of them will have at least few NHL games. Whether they’ll have a long NHL career remains to be seen. Beck, Farrell and Roy are extremely intelligent players. I think they’ll stick around. Farrell I think has the higher ceiling but Beck with most chances of becoming a regular. I’m personally less convinced of Mesar But I hope I’m wrong.
No I didn’t mean 0 nhl games, I meant it more as in becomes nhl regular. Pretty sure they all get games

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
His skating isn't the prettiest but he made Luke Hughes look like an idiot more than once this game.

Outside of skating, every red flag he had at the draft also happened to be the things he's best at here. Outstanding motor and board presence.
100%.

He’s going to be a player, I think that much is evident at this point. Now it’s just a matter of determining how much of a detriment his skating will or won’t be. I think we have the right team to work with him on that, and surround him with great young players to help him grow.

I see a potential top-6 guy here.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Habs were wise to pick Joshua Roy that far in the draft. But it’s hard to believe that we actually drafted Dmitri Kostenko and Daniil Sobolev BEFORE him...
Had the Habs not drafted him, I suspect Roy wouldn't have been drafted at all. He didn't look like a guy who was interested in being a pro player in his D-1 (out of shape, lacked motivation) and his draft year was the Covid shortened/cut one where he only turned it around after being traded to Sherbrooke when travel restrictions were in place.

The Habs made the gamble that his "turn around" was real and not just temporary.

Reactions: Redux91

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Anybody else having a hard time pronouncing his name quickly?
I just say Josh Wawa instead of Joshua Roy.
That was your stupid random thought for the evening.
Even in french I have to say I change accents half way

edit - I did not know him beyond his stats, he has no hang ups about playing with talent and I really like his game.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Roy remind me of Chris Higgins. A guy that can chip in with some offense on a third line that is very good on defensive mission. His role in Sherbrooke is not a good reference to gauge his NHL utility. Could play on a second line if team needs it. Not fast but smart.

I see Ferrell with more upside too. More speed, more skill, more hockey IQ. TOP 6.
Boy, are you going to be surprised in two, three years.

What totally blew my mind was the interview Roy gave in the second intermission. He said he never played PK before. Really! Roy is going to surprise a lot of people. This kid has elite hockey IQ. His skating can stand a little improvement but thankfully he is being monitored by Hugo's team and not Bergevin's. According to many of you, our development team has improved immensely. Let's see if that's true.

Reactions: Runner77

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Boy, are you going to be surprised in two, three years.

What totally blew my mind was the interview Roy gave in the second intermission. He said he never played PK before. Really! Roy is going to surprise a lot of people. This kid has elite hockey IQ. His skating can stand a little improvement but thankfully he is being monitored by Hugo's team and not Bergevin's. According to many of you, our development team has improved immensely. Let's see if that's true.

Farrell is also a high IQ player. I’d say pretty comparable.

Farrell is faster and a better passer but Roy’s shot is better.

Both have top-6 potential, IMO.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He's playing really well but I mean we all know what the guy can do against kids around his age group. The question was always if his game is NHL translatable.
Happy to see him buzzing tho the guy is working hard and making things happen all over the ice and on the PK too

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He's playing really well but I mean we all know what the guy can do against kids around his age group. The question was always if his game is NHL translatable.
Happy to see him buzzing tho the guy is working hard and making things happen all over the ice and on the PK too
He’s showing a lot of good traits that translate well to the NHL. IQ, positioning, shot, willingness to engage physically, relentless puck pursuit.

People that have followed him know this already, but he’s showing it at the highest possible level he can right now.

It doesn’t guarantee anything, but it helps us affirm our position that he’s a pretty good prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad