Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
I guess that is why our classy fans spent the entire game booing McDavid. He did nothing, other than control the play when he was on the ice and set up their winning goal. Draisaitl scored their other goal. We should only have such nothing players. We may even make the playoffs.
The only started booing him after a chintzy call went McDavid's way. I don't remember the play but I remember the booing was warranted.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I thought he was fine. Was nervous but that was to be expected. He nearly got a point with that awesome pass to Gallagher but it was to Gallagher so of course a goal wasn't scored.
I saw that. I was shaking my head again at Gallagher's ineptitude. In fact I would bet most of our prospects playing their first few games would look a lot better if they were not surrounded by this team of mediocre players.

Reactions: The Great Weal

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The only started booing him after a chintzy call went McDavid's way. I don't remember the play but I remember the booing was warranted.
Maybe. But you're responding to a fan who has been watching this team since the Truman administration. I have seen our delightful fans boo, Howe, Hull, Orr and other superstars. There were no chintzy calls that elicited those responses. Just the predictable, envious mutterings of the attending crowd. There is a reason our fans are loathed by so many fans of other teams. Go on the Oiler board and see what they think of us.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I really liked his game off the puck. His awareness in space defensively and on offense is really impressive.

I'm eager to see more of him on the power play

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Roy didn't look very out of place in his limited minutes to me, but he also didn't have much of an impact on the game.

In any case, it's valuable for him to get some exposure to the NHL pace of play over the next few games until Pearson/Anderson are ready to go. He's going to need to tool his game to be able to contribute effectively with his lack of foot speed, and it'll take some time for him to figure it out. I feel confident he has enough hockey sense and tools to carve himself a role eventually.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He never will unless he plays with talented players. He's kind of like Toffoli. A good complimentary piece that will never break the bank. You need this kind of players.
Like Toffoli, his impact is measured in goals and points but also how he never hurts you defensively and just kinda does his job well and you dont hear about him, do you remember Toffoli having "bad" nights? Not really.

Its the same with Roy. It means hes gonna be unspectacular at times, sure. But you do need these guys.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Another shitty thing about losing Dach is, aside from Suzuki, it leaves us with no good offensive centres you can put guys like Heineman/Roy with to help see what they can do offensively in the NHL.

I like Monahan, but he's been more effective on the wing and has only 11 points in his last 27 games.

Reactions: DAChampion

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Maybe. But you're responding to a fan who has been watching this team since the Truman administration. I have seen our delightful fans boo, Howe, Hull, Orr and other superstars. There were no chintzy calls that elicited those responses. Just the predictable, envious mutterings of the attending crowd. There is a reason our fans are loathed by so many fans of other teams. Go on the Oiler board and see what they think of us.
Chester you read like the skeleton dude in Baldur’s gate. Ok I’ll go for it, what’s the mission?

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Like Toffoli, his impact is measured in goals and points but also how he never hurts you defensively and just kinda does his job well and you dont hear about him, do you remember Toffoli having "bad" nights? Not really.

Its the same with Roy. It means hes gonna be unspectacular at times, sure. But you do need these guys.

Toffoli has nights where his legs are literally encased in concrete…

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
No need to go that far. Most of our fanbase also absolutely dislike this booing stuff.

I can understand when it's for a player like Chara, or that rat Marchand, but other than that.... Yesterday I saw a media title "will you boo Jonathan Drouin?". I was speechless. It never ocured to me people would do that. It's so stupid.

Reactions: morhilane

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
No need to go that far. Most of our fanbase also absolutely dislike this booing stuff.

I can understand when it's for a player like Chara, or that rat Marchand, but other than that.... Yesterday I saw a media title "will you boo Jonathan Drouin?". I was speechless. It never ocured to me people would do that. It's so stupid.
Somethings never change. But at least its not Philadelphia where they booed Santa Claus.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
The booing is great. If you can't act a little silly at an exhibition of a children's game for which you paid $1000, what is even the point of commercial entertainment? Just like Jagr back in the day, the boos would have turned to "ooohs" and some applause had McDavid pulled off a nice move.
I would suggest that anyone prepared to pay a $1,000 to watch a children's game is being silly, if not worse.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
The booing is great. If you can't act a little silly at an exhibition of a children's game for which you paid $1000, what is even the point of commercial entertainment? Just like Jagr back in the day, the boos would have turned to "ooohs" and some applause had McDavid pulled off a nice move.
Because somewhere, some random person that cheers for the same team might feel 'second-hand embarrassment' or even cringe!

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
I am going to almost entirely disagree......

His IQ and positioning as well as his ability to win puck battles and steal the puck are exactly why he could fit in the middle six. During his slump he was hesitant and was not noticeable as he quickly deferred when he did touch the puck. When he is on his game he is very noticeable as he handles the puck more and is constantly moving into gaps and seams to set himself up to receive the puck in great position. There is also the fact that when he is on he is confident and challenges defenders 1 on 1 often with positive results due to his slick hands and lightning release.

He was by a mile the best forward on the ice last night again and has made the adjustments that he needed to make to get called up. This has played out exactly as I hoped/predicted as they waited for him to hit the inevitable rookie slump and then waited for him to come out of it before calling him up. I am curious whether this is a legitimate call up where he is expected to try and earn a spot or just an introduction to the NHL game so that he can get a feel for where he needs to improve.

His strengths are his IQ, hands, release and puck protection. He is very good on the wall and wins all sorts of contested puck battles often using his quick hands to pick the puck off of the boards before the opponent has a chance to gain body position.

I suspect he is a player that will be huge for this organization but will also be frustrating at times much as Suzuki has been with the annual disappearing act but will shine when the chips are on the table.
I really hope you are right as you seem to have watched more of his AHL games than I do.

If what you see in him is real and he translates it to the NHL, he could pretty well become the next Mark Stone (ie not quick/mobile, but every other aspects so f*cking elite that we don't care).

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Remember that Roy, now, is 4 months younger than Caufield was at the beginning of his 20 yrs old season. Roy will end this season at the same age, 20 yrs and 9 months, that Caufield started his 20 yrs old season, first full season in the NHL. This is often forgotten about Roy as it was for Struble, these guys were amongst the youngest players of their draft year. Relative age is very impostant when evaluating where a young player is in his progression.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad