Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
It's always been his style of play. He's stealthy, discrete, then bang! he scores. Silent assassin who's very good at being at the right place at the right time.
Yes you are correct . Just expected the adrenaline to get him going more aggressively

Reactions: sampollock

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Y'all are way too quick to judge.

Give him at least 5-10 games.

I am the first to be lukewarm on Roy but lets give him a fair chance.

Its expected to have a first few games like he had yesterday. Lots and lots of adjustment.

As much as Struble made an early impact, he was very discret in his two first game.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Pretty tough game for your first one
Reality is a bitch. Particularly for some here who wanted him penciled in as a top six forward as early as this year. While Roy didn’t embarrass himself last night, the speed and intensity of the NHL game made his impact/showing predictably tepid. Roy and his host of supporters now graphically realize the challenges he faces in becoming the impact player that his considerable non- skating skills offer.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Reality is a bitch. Particularly for some here who wanted him penciled in as a top six forward as early as this year. While Roy didn’t embarrass himself last night, the speed and intensity of the NHL game made his impact/showing predictably tepid. Roy and his host of supporters now graphically realize the challenges he faces in becoming the impact player that his considerable non- skating skills offer.
I still see Toffoli, but he’s just not ready yet

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He understandably played a conservative game. He needs a bit more time for his offensive game to come around but that's ok. He made some good plays on the wall in the defensive zone in 3rd period when the game got intense as hell. If he was unsure, he flipped it out, otherwise he did a good job hitting his outlet.

Pezz, Stephens & Ylonen all got benched. He didn't. I think Toffoli is a good comparison. The kid is going to be a two-way player.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
He understandably played a conservative game. He needs a bit more time for his offensive game to come around but that's ok. He made some good plays on the wall in the defensive zone in 3rd period when the game got intense as hell. If he was unsure, he flipped it out, otherwise he did a good job hitting his outlet.

Pezz, Stephens & Ylonen all got benched. He didn't. I think Toffoli is a good comparison. The kid is going to be a two-way player.
He did fine. His first game for the team he grew up cheering for was Saturday Night at the Bell Centre against the Oilers. All his team mates after the game commented how they couldn't have imagined starting that way.

Matheson in particular said his first game was a Tuesday in Florida and he doesn't think he could have handled a Saturday Night at the Bell Centre for a first game very well or nearly as well as Joshua.

Lets relax.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I personally feel like Roy's first game showed two things:
- That MSL told him he was getting evaluated to define his (defensive) floor in the NHL (or Roy heard what he said to the media)
- That the play speed (not to confuse with the skating speed) gap between the AHL and NHL is way bigger than people want to admit (especially when getting dropped mid-season) and one game isn't enough to get used to it.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I still see Toffoli, but he’s just not ready yet
That’s a fair assessment.

Hockey is a frustrating game to play when you are a step behind the play. Roy played smartly and responsibly yesterday and in his limited playing time rarely let the uber fast Oilers get behind him. But Roy’s hopeful future in the NHL is not being a defensive stalwart. This team, with its shallow pool of offensive prospects, desperately needs the offensive potential that Roy has displayed in Junior, the WJC and sporadically in the AHL.

It was just one game. It was Roy’s first game and he was playing under the microscope of an expectant fan base against a highly skilled and fast opponent that was on a franchise high roll.

Roy did as well as could be reasonably expected. But any reasonable observer could see that Roy is not the offensive Messiah that many here hoped for.

Well, at least not yet.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He did fine. His first game for the team he grew up cheering for was Saturday Night at the Bell Centre against the Oilers. All his team mates after the game commented how they couldn't have imagined starting that way.

Matheson in particular said his first game was a Tuesday in Florida and he doesn't think he could have handled a Saturday Night at the Bell Centre for a first game very well or nearly as well as Joshua.

Lets relax.

Yup, it was an intense as hell game to start with. I thought he was incredibly solid. Defensively, he did really well tonight. He didn't look overwhelmed at all. He played it smart, and won more battles than he lost. He managed the puck well.

Offensively, he didn't contribute much, and I guess that's what people were looking for, but that's also really hard to do. He was fine. I actually thought he showed better than Heineman.

Reactions: ngc_5128 and Guess

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That’s a fair assessment.

Hockey is a frustrating game to play when you are a step behind the play. Roy played smartly and responsibly yesterday and in his limited playing time rarely let the uber fast Oilers get behind him. But Roy’s hopeful future in the NHL is not being a defensive stalwart. This team, with its shallow pool of offensive prospects, desperately needs the offensive potential that Roy has displayed in Junior, the WJC and sporadically in the AHL.

It was just one game. It was Roy’s first game and he was playing under the microscope of an expectant fan base against a highly skilled and fast opponent that was on a franchise high roll.

Roy did as well as could be reasonably expected. But any reasonable observer could see that Roy is not the offensive Messiah that many here hoped for.

Well, at least not yet.
I think Roy has the IQ to figure out where he belongs to carve out a successful NHL career. I don’t think that will end up being a big point producer or even a player in the top6 on a contender. I do, however, think he has enough smarts to be a positive contributor on a contending team eventually.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
He might not become a top 6 like some expect, but he could become a very solid 3rd line, sometimes 2nd line replacement, NHLer. Will need to work on the obvious to achieve it.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad