Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Moved this to the Roy thread where it belongs

This isn’t a fair argument. You’re using hindsight to support yourself. It’s easy to say after the fact you would’ve traded Tinordi for a second after seeing how it played out. If teams gave up on all their prospects, they wouldn’t ever give themselves a chance to develop players. I’m not saying you shouldn’t trade “A” level prospects or around that level like Roy, but you better be getting something worthwhile in return if you do. That was the problem with trading Sergachev for Drouin. Drouin was fine as a player when we acquired him but the level of prospect we gave up for him in return never made sense even if Drouin never flamed out.
Well first of all it wasn't hindsight, it was basic planning. We couldn't send Tinordi down to the AHL without him passing through waivers and we didn't have a roster spot for him so he ended playing 3 NHL games, 6 AHL games as part of a conditioning stint, and sat as a healthy scratch the rest of the season. If you aren't going to play a prospect then you should absolutely trade them, and it doesn't involve any kind of hindsight to know that.

As for the rest of your post, nobody ever said you should trade away every prospect. But never trading a prospect because they still have some potential is just as bad if not worse then trading your all your prospect. The problem with the Drouin/Sergachev trade wasn't that Sergachev had a lot of potential and would go on to do well in the NHL, it's that Drouin was bad. Nobody is saying trade Roy for peanuts, but if he's the piece needed to get someone whose actually good then we shouldn't say no just because Roy has potential to be good, we say yes or no based on the return being good or not.

Reactions: windycity

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
is 0 points in 6 games really such a disaster for a prospect of Roy's caliber in his first year in the A? I don't see the issue

a lot of fans scout by stats but if you watch the game you see what you should be concerned with and what you shouldn't. I have said a number of times how bad of a job MB did with development. And now we are starting to see a different approach. Fans wanted Roy called up after his 5 point game but I said he did not look ready yet as the skill is NHL level but he's got to adjust to the speed, bigger/stronger players.

MB would have likely called up Roy had he not been fired. It could work out great or not, the point is more it seemed to me like someone doing something without thinking it through. Kind of like a panic move where you say maybe he will struggle and it will hurt his game but if he comes up and scores maybe they can build off it and he can turn into a NHLer sooner then later.

Roy is always going to have questions because of his style of play, slowing things down in a game that is just getting faster and faster. He doesn't have a ton of strength either, more then say other Laval rookies like Kidney, Mesar when he was here, Mysak last year (and this year) as you can see them easily pushed off pucks or easy to contain. Roy shows better strength then them but still needs work there.

The good news his IQ and skill level are sky high, like Mesar he's got high end vision, playmaking but he can really snipe it too which makes him very tough to defend once he gets quicker, stronger, he will be in the NHL showing what he can do, if not he could struggle like others that have his frame/skating/speed.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
a lot of fans scout by stats but if you watch the game you see what you should be concerned with and what you shouldn't. I have said a number of times how bad of a job MB did with development. And now we are starting to see a different approach. Fans wanted Roy called up after his 5 point game but I said he did not look ready yet as the skill is NHL level but he's got to adjust to the speed, bigger/stronger players.

MB would have likely called up Roy had he not been fired. It could work out great or not, the point is more it seemed to me like someone doing something without thinking it through. Kind of like a panic move where you say maybe he will struggle and it will hurt his game but if he comes up and scores maybe they can build off it and he can turn into a NHLer sooner then later.

Roy is always going to have questions because of his style of play, slowing things down in a game that is just getting faster and faster. He doesn't have a ton of strength either, more then say other Laval rookies like Kidney, Mesar when he was here, Mysak last year (and this year) as you can see them easily pushed off pucks or easy to contain. Roy shows better strength then them but still needs work there.

The good news his IQ and skill level are sky high, like Mesar he's got high end vision, playmaking but he can really snipe it too which makes him very tough to defend once he gets quicker, stronger, he will be in the NHL showing what he can do, if not he could struggle like others that have his frame/skating/speed.
I said this before, zero chance MB wouldn’t have called him up long ago. Moreover, Therrien would’ve played him in limited minutes in the bottom six. That’s what we did for years with that regime. No reason to think it’d have been any different with Roy.

Reactions: montreal and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I said this before, zero chance MB wouldn’t have called him up long ago. Moreover, Therrien would’ve played him in limited minutes in the bottom six. That’s what we did for years with that regime. No reason to think it’d have been any different with Roy.
True and accurate. Call up a first line AHL player and bury him on the 4th line all the while hurting their confidence. Shampoo, rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Gyfu and montreal

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
This is why he needed to stay in the AHL.

Better to have these growing pains in a league where he can afford to make mistakes and learn and with far less pressure.

Bergevin-era Habs would have called him up and probably ruined him in the process.

Progress.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
With Andersson and Stephens maybe, not without though. Right now its bottom of the barrell and Roy is the only one keeping the offense afloat.

The Rocket have scored 16 goals in Roy's ongoing 6-game pointless drought.

I like Roy, but you're coming off as being high on copium.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Its not even growing pains, hes on a legit tire-fire team.

The Rocket are disgusting, its almost worse than watching the Habs.

Kent let go for free multiple good AHL players this summer. Player like Anthony Richard or Belzile. Primeau would have also helped the Rocket win a couple of game. Kinda sad to see both the Habs and Rockets in the bottom....

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Kent let go for free multiple good AHL players this summer. Player like Anthony Richard or Belzile. Primeau would have also helped the Rocket win a couple of game. Kinda sad to see both the Habs and Rockets in the bottom....
You are what your record says you are.

Reactions: rahad

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

the AHL is league where you fully expect a lot of roster turnover year to year so it's no surprise to see vets moved out and new ones brought in. But out of the vets at forward you currently only have 1 healthy and on the roster in Maillet and he struggled early on with just 2 pts in 8 games and overall just hasn't been very impressive.

the goalie thing though, that I think they made a big mistake leaving Dobes out to dry but I don't know what their plan or thinking is with Primeau other then not wanting to lose him for nothing. If that was the case they should have looked for a cheap vet to help Dobes perhaps but maybe they didn't think this would take so long to find a trade partner for one of the goalies.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Agree with everything other than his strength. Joshua is quite strong for his age/size and was something that Houle even pointed out early in the season. His confidence has just taken a knock and he is hesitating a little too much and playing a little too simple. He has stopped carrying the puck as much and is deferring too quickly. This was predictable and I have said from the start that he will go through this and he will only be ready when he figures this out and takes the next step. I have no doubt that he will be fine and will be in the NHL full time by this time next season.

Tonight might even be him taking that step and if he takes off again he will be in the NHL this season.

Jul 6, 2016
Agree with everything other than his strength. Joshua is quite strong for his age/size and was something that Houle even pointed out early in the season. His confidence has just taken a knock and he is hesitating a little too much and playing a little too simple. He has stopped carrying the puck as much and is deferring too quickly. This was predictable and I have said from the start that he will go through this and he will only be ready when he figures this out and takes the next step. I have no doubt that he will be fine and will be in the NHL full time by this time next season.

Tonight might even be him taking that step and if he takes off again he will be in the NHL this season.
For a "clueless" rookie, he has still piled up 30 points in 33 games so far. Not bad at all.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad