Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It's like people forget he is a AHL Rookie lol..
Even the slump is a 'good' thing for his development
It’ll show him what he needs to do and not do. Not worried at all.

Without watching, he probably has to keep up an effort level that he hasn’t quite had to yet in the last few years. Though this is similar to what @Estimated_Prophet said about him

I don’t think he’s slumped since we’ve drafted him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Once again, the skating is not the problem here.
I get what you are saying but disagree. For me not moving his feet is a skating issue the same as it is with Suzuki or any other player in that vein. It's actually a bigger issue when footspeed is questionable to begin with. Not moving or being able to move his feet constantly is the one thing that keeps Suzuki from the next level of stardom. Just as it will Joshua Roy. Every off season I keep hoping Suzuki will find an extra 1/2 step that would make him that much more dangerous. It has absolutely nothing to do with confidence it's a skating issue.

Reactions: Don D

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I want to second or third that it's critical for Roy's mental development that he work his way out of his current slump. There are always highs and lows, he has to learn to take it in perspective and adapt. It's also a difference with the Bergevin administration that liked to call up prospects as soon as they had a one -gane hot streak.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The
I want to second or third that it's critical for Roy's mental development that he work his way out of his current slump. There are always highs and lows, he has to learn to take it in perspective and adapt. It's also a difference with the Bergevin administration that liked to call up prospects as soon as they had a one -gane hot streak.
But what happens (let me speak the unthinkable) if Roy isn't in a slump? That what we are seeing now is what Roy is: a journeyman. And nothing more.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Not worried about Roy at all. Going through slumps is good. Better now then when he hits the nhl. Then once he goes to the nhl he will know what to do. Also he doesnt have much to play with. That will definitely hurt

Reactions: DAChampion

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Though I don't want to be too hard on Roy, I doubt that's true. I think that he's playing with AHL-level players, against AHL-level players.
Sure, but some players just do their thing, doesn’t matter too much who they play with.

Some players see the game better and use their teammates to implement a game plan. Those players are way better with guys who can keep up mentally.

We’ll see which one Roy is.

Reactions: themilosh and jrom

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
But what happens (let me speak the unthinkable) if Roy isn't in a slump? That what we are seeing now is what Roy is: a journeyman. And nothing more.

It's quite possible (and that would be it) but I think it's more motor / effort related, he can't be at 60% effort and still produce at this level.

You've been harsh on Roy since the beginning (but not unfair), I still have my doubts but he's clearly a very smart player with adequate size/strenght and a good shot. Would he really fare worse then players like Armia, Pearson, current Gallagher ? or prospects like Farell, Mesar, Guidon, Kidney ?

Our perennial weak center line is certainly not helping him but it's a good learning experience and I hope they let him cook in the AHL for the entire year.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The

I don't know, he's impressed at just about every moment since being drafted.

He's shown great improvement every offseason. He keeps taking the steps.

I just don 't think he's that bad a skater. Maybe he doesn't reach some of our most optimistic prognostications (mine being up there for sure) but there's a lot of room between being a pretty special player and a journeyman.

He's got way too much going for him. He'd have to really go sideways.

I really like our prospect pool/young player situation right now but just about all of them are question mark-y. Development is key right now. If the lion's share of these guys can keep taking the steps then I think we're in tremendous shape even if we're not quite there yet.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Then move on as we did with Cory Urquhart, Ben Maxwell, and Charles Hudon.

I hope not. Our forward prospect is pretty weak. Hope one of them make it to the NHL as a top 6 player. Or we need to trade one of our D + draft pick for a good forward.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I hope not. Our forward prospect is pretty weak. Hope one of them make it to the NHL as a top 6 player. Or we need to trade one of our D + draft pick for a good forward.
We should be drafting in the top ten this coming draft. There are at least seven highly skilled forwards available. We should be in a position to draft one of them. That pick will serve as another major step forward in our seemingly endless re-build. I’m beginning to think that Rome was built faster.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
We should be drafting in the top ten this coming draft. There are at least seven highly skilled forwards available. We should be in a position to draft one of them. That pick will serve as another major step forward in our seemingly endless re-build. I’m beginning to think that Rome was built faster.
The 2024 and 2025 should help us find a good top 6 forward. It could also help us, if we have a late round draft steal.

Kinda like Gally, Plekanec, Halak and Markov. The drafting has been a huge issue under Bergevin.

Reactions: Riggins

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

If we do end up with a pick ~10OA, I wouldn't be surprised to see us package it in a trade for an established NHL elite forward or borderline elite...

Kaprizov in Minny
Zegras in Anaheim

Those are two targets that could work and where a 10OA pick would lessen the + we'd need to add. Both fit our timeline well and would instantly inject significant offensive threat to our pp & top 6

Slaf - Suzuki - Newhook
CC - Dach - Zegras

Or

Kaprizov - Suzuki - CC
Slaf - Dach - Newhook

Either of those top-6 groups would give us a pretty damn exciting core of talent up front over the next 3-5 years

(With Roy, Mesar, Heineman, Kidney, Mesar, Rohrer, Ylonen providing some decent depth/injury options as soon as next year).

I think we'll see that, or an aggressive UFA signing (Nylander, Stamkos, Guentzel, Reinhart...) to bolster the forward talent St.Louis has to work with next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad