Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
Roy is adapting to pro hockey. And as expected, gonna spend a season or even two at AHL level.
Agreed!!! One "shoe" does not fit all. Some players have carved out an NHL career after 2-4 years in the AHL. Some (like Pacioretty) had to be sent back down to the AHL after playing in the NHL. Others make the NHL after 1 year in the 'minors". There are a few (like Kirill Kaprizov) who come to the NHL after several years in "European" leagues. As MSL said in a recent interview, reaching the NHL (potential) is like WAZE. The player may reach their potential, but the routes are diverse.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Do we have a center iceman who is complimenting Roy's game? He's been kind of stale lately.
I also don't like him on the point on the PP.
I think his deft touch around the net is far too valuable to waste back there.

Reactions: Scriptor

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
With Newhook injury’s. Just call him up. he is already PPG in the AHL. I think he could learn something here..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
With Newhook injury’s. Just call him up. he is already PPG in the AHL. I think he could learn something here..
Please no.

Leave him where he is and let him develop.

We’re not winning anything this year. It doesn’t matter if we lose and come in low. None of that should factor in.

I’m excited to see what he can bring too but I hope they just leave Roy where he is.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Calling Heineken up after a 1-game hot streak would be a Bergevin-type move.
One game or not, Heineman looks far more NHL ready than Roy and most other Laval forwards. He offers a faster, heavier and more dynamic game. If he continues this level of play and stays healthy, Heineman will be the next call up.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
One game or not, Heineman looks far more NHL ready than Roy and most other Laval forwards. He offers a faster, heavier and more dynamic game. If he continues this level of play and stays healthy, Heineman will be the next call up.
He did look good last night for sure. 3 home games for Laval this week...let's hope he stays healthy and shows some good things

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Pointless in 6 I believe.
Roy's current pointless streak is about as relevant as his unworldly initial scoring spree or success. No one can question this players' hand skills and offensive vision. The question remains whether he has the skating to successfully use those skills at the next level. As with Mailloux, the burning issue is whether Roy can adjust to and thrive in the faster pace and intensity of professional hockey at the AHL level, let alone the NHL. I think we will all have a better idea of both Roy's and Mailloux's NHL potential by the end of this season. I think both face challenges in reaching the promised land.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Roy's current pointless streak is about as relevant as his unworldly initial scoring spree or success. No one can question this players' hand skills and offensive vision. The question remains whether he has the skating to successfully use those skills at the next level. As with Mailloux, the burning issue is whether Roy can adjust to and thrive in the faster pace and intensity of professional hockey at the AHL level, let alone the NHL. I think we will all have a better idea of both Roy's and Mailloux's NHL potential by the end of this season. I think both face challenges in reaching the promised land.
I agree that Mailloux has alot of work to do on his skating, as does Roy.

The development time Mailloux has missed is showing up in spades in his first AHL season.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

The development time Mailloux has missed is showing up in spades in his first AHL season.
With respect to Mailloux, it was all too predictable. With Roy, it is another case. He has defied his doubters at every level and has succeeded mightily. But the challenges he faces at the professional level are greater than what he, and all other prospects, have ever faced. There is little margin for error. You have to be able to match the intense pace and speed that you will encounter, where superior talented, larger, stronger and faster players provide you almost no time or space to execute the plays and moves that made you a prospect in junior. Most don't make it. And those fans who have readily penciled in Mailloux as a top pairing defenceman and Roy as a first line winger on the Habs in the near future, are being unrealistic. Let's wait and see with respect to both of these, to now, promising young players. But that promise can dissipate quickly.

Yeah exactly he's ready to be a full-time Hab, lol.
Availability is an important trait.

Reactions: DAChampion

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Once again, the skating is not the problem here.

He is not a great skater but neither are many top NHL forwards, the problem is an old one for Roy and it is his compete level. He has stopped moving his feet and is doing exactly what Suzuki does every year when he slumps. His confidence has taken a knock and he is playing less dynamic with his hands and deferring too quickly. He has stopped attacking defenders and creating lanes, instead he is passing to obvious options and this greatly diminishes his ability to produce offence.

I said from the start that this would happen and he would have to work himself out of it. To blame it on his skating is a misdiagnosis imo as his skating was good enough to absolutely dominate early in the year and his skating ability or lack thereof had nothing to do with him dominating in the first place. He just has to learn a lesson at the pro level about not second guessing himself when a play doesn't work and continuing to aggressively probe defenders for weaknesses. Even though he was having success his plays were failing at a higher rate than they ever did in junior and this is absolutely fine but sometimes it is hard for a wildly successful junior player to accept the cumulative effect of these small defeats and they alter their game away from their strengths. Predictably their confidence drops and before you know it nothing is working and they are static and hesitant on the ice. I said right from the start when some were clamoring for him to be immediately called up that the best time to call him up is when he goes through a slump and then figures his way out of it. It is this step that will cement the confidence that he requires in the pro game and will provide the necessary internal diagnostics and coping skills that he will require to deal with the inevitable struggles that he will also face at the next level. This is when he will truly be ready and it will have nothing at all to do with his skating. His skating will never be a strength but it is every bit as good as Toffoli, Stone, O'Reilly, Boeser, Palmieri, Pavelski etc and it has consistently improved by small steps in each year since we drafted him.

To claim that this segment is equally indicative of his overall value as a prospect as his blistering start was is just plain wrong. Every player, no matter how good (other than perhaps generational talents) is capable of going through bad slumps. Conversely not every player is capable of doing what he did to start the year or what he did in junior or how he dominated against the best of the best at the WJC's. Far more stock has to be put into the exceptional highs as that is where his potential is. Slumps are just players playing below their potential which is not the same as players who are also slumping but have never demonstrated that potential.

I like Roy more than Mailloux because their hockey IQ's are worlds apart and IQ is the single most important determining factor to NHL success. I also will not refer to you as some kind of hater as I do believe that you would love to be proven wrong on Joshua and that you truly believe that you are finding credible flaws. We disagree on the causality of this slump and that is fine.......but I think I am going to be proven correct and you will be thrilled to be wrong :thumbu:

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Indeed I noticed it his first game back. He could have easily been a mainstay out of camp except for logistics IMO.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I don't think he was referring to Mailloux's skating as it is very good, I believe he was referring to his ability to read the play and react at a pro level pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad