Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think he’s just getting started. He could cap out as a 25/25 guy which would be fine enough. But I think there’s more there. Seems to score in bunches. Give him a real C with that speed and shot and we’ll be losing it over him. He’s still a kid who is only just now finding his way. Plenty of runway for him to get better.

We have more nice things then we’re allowing ourselves to think we have.
Yes we do. It all hinged down on Guhle becoming that 1D that we didn't have. I expected him to be a good piece, not the best player on the team.

It literally changes everything.

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
Guy's gonna put up some fat numbers next year playing with Cole and Nick. Will be the most productive Habs rookie in ages.
Not sure about "fat numbers", but if he can contribue at a superior rate to current Habs, I would chalk it up as a win!!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yes we do. It all hinged down on Guhle becoming that 1D that we didn't have. I expected him to be a good piece, not the best player on the team.

It literally changes everything.
At some point in the offseason I mentioned Guhle being the cornerstone of the franchise and I am pretty sure you agreed with that. His emerging offensive upside combined with the D is going to be enormous for us. He just has those winner vibes.

We need a lot of things to go right. Just about everything possibly but we also have a surfeit of prospects and worthwhile assets to make moves with. We’re in a good spot.

If Slaf and Reinbacher can assuage more fears sooner rather than later then I think fans can start to be a bit less edgy and start to appreciate that we actually have some great pieces

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
At some point in the offseason I mentioned Guhle being the cornerstone of the franchise and I am pretty sure you agreed with that. His emerging offensive upside combined with the D is going to be enormous for us. He just has those winner vibes.

We need a lot of things to go right. Just about everything possibly but we also have a surfeit of prospects and worthwhile assets to make moves with. We’re in a good spot.

If Slaf and Reinbacher can assuage more fears sooner rather than later then I think fans can start to be a bit less edgy and start to appreciate that we actually have some great pieces
Well on our way to at the very least be a Carolina type contender IMO. Pieces are there. Pieces are very similar.

Guhle as Slavin, Reinbacher as Pesce, Slaf as Svech, CC as TT, Nick as Aho, Dach as KK.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Well on our way to at the very least be a Carolina type contender IMO. Pieces are there. Pieces are very similar.

Guhle as Slavin, Reinbacher as Pesce, Slaf as Svech, CC as TT, Nick as Aho, Dach as KK.
That's an interesting analogy, that I could see if things keep moving in the right direction.

Reactions: KevSkillz4

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

I really like the comparison. I think Caufield is a better player than TT when he play like he suposed to do. Suzuki can be compared, if he continue to produce at offensive like that. I prefer Dach to KK, but yeah they have same profile, big two-way C picked 3rd overall. Guhle can easily have the same impact of Slavin, no doubt, even more offensive talent. Reinbacher play the game safe like Pesce and I really like Pesce. Slaf have tools of Svech, for sure, the points will come when the Habs team will be ready to compete.

Great comparison @Mrb1p !!

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don’t know. He kind of did lol. That half a season in Hamilton did wonders. He was like night and day. He was always advertised as a playmaking big forward and lo and behold he just became a goal machine. That was never really in the cards for him.

He did not gain one single iota of skill or ability in the AHL as it does not work that way. He simply got his confidence, timing and gameplan to where it needed to be. This happens all the time and he would have been the exact same player 4 years later if he had not went down. There is no doubt that he benefited from the move and his game took off but that was because he had the right mindset in the beginning and just needed a reboot. Citing the results as an example of a sudden growth in skill level is magic bean territory.

• Love
Reactions: salbutera and 417

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That's an interesting analogy, that I could see if things keep moving in the right direction.

Carolina is the example that I have used as well.

This team may very well have an elite d-corps and multiple dangerous scoring lines in a few seasons.

First Line

Summer of Love
Aug 21, 2002
Laval

I think you could even expand the comparison to the coach not on experience but on intendity for sure

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
He did not gain one single iota of skill or ability in the AHL as it does not work that way. He simply got his confidence, timing and gameplan to where it needed to be. This happens all the time and he would have been the exact same player 4 years later if he had not went down. There is no doubt that he benefited from the move and his game took off but that was because he had the right mindset in the beginning and just needed a reboot. Citing the results as an example of a sudden growth in skill level is magic bean territory.
I think folks really underestimate confidence and mindset in a young person. Yes some are cocky and confident right off the get go but some need to slowly work up to a pro game. A shitty start to a career can really set a player back. They start second guessing everything they do, clutching their stick and can ruin there career. Golf is especially bad for eating it's young players, a few bad tournaments and all of a sudden nothing works anymore and poof they are gone.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think folks really underestimate confidence and mindset in a young person. Yes some are cocky and confident right off the get go but some need to slowly work up to a pro game. A shitty start to a career can really set a player back. They start second guessing everything they do, clutching their stick and can ruin there career. Golf is especially bad for eating it's young players, a few bad tournaments and all of a sudden nothing works anymore and poof they are gone.

While I entirely agree with you about the importance of confidence....it absolutely never ruins a career from not getting it right away. Confidence waivers with all players to varying degrees. Players with the mental toughness to push through it succeed and those who don't fail. Confidence and mental toughness are as much a trait as IQ, skating, puck handling and team's absolutely put a ton of work in trying to identify prospects who have it. Players who fold and wilt often never had it in the first place and are usually destined to fail. This is true in all highly competitive endeavours in life.

• Love
Reactions: 417

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Went against the crowd on Slaf.

Going against the crowd here again.

He is not a future top six fixture. He is on the Charles Hudon highway at full speed.

I will happily eat crow in due time

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

He is not a future top six fixture. He is on the Charles Hudon highway at full speed.

Your posting is exponential on this board. It will not stop, parabolicly.

Charles Hudon... Esti ...

• Haha
Reactions: Jaynki

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
You're forgetting the Desharnais effect! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

He’s just flat out out produced and out performed Hudson at every step so far.

The skating is not that bad and it’s been improving as it goes along.

He’d have to flat out regress. I wouldn’t bet on it.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
And golf is a good analogy for Habs, because they certainly got to play a lot of it early the last few years and will continue to do as much for the next few seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: CHwest

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Your posting is exponential on this board. It will not stop, parabolicly.

Charles Hudon... Esti ...

Hudon might be harsh. Maybe the Scherbak highway is better?

Well, whatever, my point is easily understandable.

Roy to me is a player who still plays the game in a juniorish fashion, who has dubious athleticism and im not sure about his commitment level.

Next training camp there will be Beck, Mesar pushing. Maybe we go on the trade market or sign someone and we probably draft top 15 this year.

Clock is ticking fast en criss for him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hudon might be harsh. Maybe the Scherbak highway is better?

Well, whatever, my point is easily understandable.

Roy to me is a player who still plays the game in a juniorish fashion, who has dubious athleticism and im not sure about his commitment level.

Next training camp there will be Beck, Mesar pushing. Maybe we go on the trade market or sign someone and we probably draft top 15 this year.

Clock is ticking fast en criss for him.
Ya your point is easily understandable.

Its wrong, bye bye.

Hes 7 months older than Slaf. 🤡.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

People forget that Hudon crushed it in his rookie year in Hamilton, the first month or so of the season he was top 10 in the league in points. As the season went on, he wore down physically imo, and while he still had a great year, he never got back to what he showed that first month or two. McCarron did the same, had a great start not as good as Hudon's of course, but after getting called up he never reached that level of production again.

Roy is more skilled, bigger, stronger, better skater then Hudon was at 20, though Hudon learned to hone his shot as he became a deadly sniper in the AHL, Roy will get his chances in the NHL and I would expect it to go much better for him then it did for Hudon who was just too slow, small, poor skating and weak physically.

The question for Roy in the NHL will be how much does he continue or progress or not. You see these posts in these prospect threads and most posters never seem to change their opinion and that's a red flag as no one can really predict the rate at which a prospect is going to continue to progress or not without mostly guessing as it's very difficult and a big part of why you see some kids that were so hyped at 15, 16, 17, and at 22 they can't do shit in the AHL. They just peaked for various reasons and it can be very tough to gauge how they will handle that.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
And golf is a good analogy for Habs, because they certainly got to play a lot of it early the last few years and will continue to do as much for the next few seasons.
Honestly I think any of the non reactive sports are hard on the mind. Golf, the shooting sports, curling etc.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Lol. now I see that Slaf fanboy is not only bashing other teams prospets, he's even bashing our own prospects.
That's some big time cope going on.

Im not bashing anyone. Simply stating opinion and debating hockey.

Some will make it, others won't and its just fun debating and guessing no?

You are the one coping and fanboyingbody, i dont care about hockey players specifically, i care about the Montreal Canadiens and thats it.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad