Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I pulled it out of my ass. Well i actually did a non-chalant research into pretty much every team top 6 but yeah apart from Eichel, VGK next one is Stone as a regular in his D+4. I

But roughly looking at it, players will sometimes have one or two NCAA years like Cutter Gauthier and then jump right in. Or junior player will have 1 or 2 year and jump right in too like Suzuki.

Majority of player goes this way but yeah its not an outlier as it happen frequently that player are not regular in their D+3.

The D+4 appears to be a real cutter tho for NHLers. Player who are not regular in their D+4 on rare occasions have amounted to top six players. Now these one are real outlier.

Hence is why i argue Roy has to keep up and seize every opportunity this season because if he don't he likely has one last opportunity in 2024-2025 with probably more competition.
I expect Roy to make the Habs team next year. He will need to improve defensively if he wants a middle six role with 14+ minutes. That's what this year in Laval is for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaynki

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Its crazy that theres still negative and tentative comments in Roy 😂. This board couldnt collectively identify water as water even if they saw it coming out of a tap.
Yeah sure 😉

I think the exact same of another player i can't name 😂

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pacioretty was called up too soon at age 20 after few decent AHL games and struggled in the NHL, looked like a 3rd liner. Even though he played in the NHL session before, Gainey sent him down in in his 3rd ELC year to improve his game and it paid off a ton. He turned into a big scorer and was probably the best player in the AHL until he was called up. He continued that momentum for the rest of his career. Pacioretty had 17 goals and 32 points in 27 games before final call up, 82 AHL games total. Even Toffoli (Roy's comparable IMO) and Mark Stone played more games.
Yes no doubt it helped him, but it's also important to remember that at point, when he was sent down to the AHL for a few weeks/months (27 games)..

He had played 86 NHL games, he didn't light the world on fire with his production but that's essentially the equivalent of a single NHL season.

You're suggesting the 27 games he was sent down to play his 3rd year ELC, was more beneficial than the equivalent of a full NHL season the 2 years prior. Almost as though those games didn't matter when I'd argue they mattered a lot more than anything he got over the 27 games in Hamilton that year.

You're also suggesting that because he “looked like a 3rd liner” for 86 games (againbtbe equivalent of a single NHL campaign + 4 games), he needed that stint in the AHL and that was the key element…

I don't know, I just think we’re way too impatient to label players because they don't reach a certain level we expect by a certain period, which is often as illustrated above, way too premature most often times.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Pacioretty was called up too soon at age 20 after few decent AHL games and struggled in the NHL, looked like a 3rd liner. Even though he played in the NHL session before, Gainey sent him down in in his 3rd ELC year to improve his game and it paid off a ton. He turned into a big scorer and was probably the best player in the AHL until he was called up. He continued that momentum for the rest of his career. Pacioretty had 17 goals and 32 points in 27 games before final call up, 82 AHL games total. Even Toffoli (Roy's comparable IMO) and Mark Stone played more games.

No need for Roy to join Slafkovsky in this dumpster of a lineup yet. There's a ton of games left and there will be a lot of injuries soon enough as usual.

Lots of NHLers dominated almost full year in AHL before being called up and had great careers... everyone says Subban has character issues but he tried his hardest and was AHL star. IF Roy pouts like Sergei Kostitsyn/Drouin to be called up and stops trying in the AHL, he likely will end up the same way and not have a good NHL career. Roy hasn't even hit 20 AHL games.

Pacioretty requested to go down and get his confidence in his offensive game back......it worked for that season but he was going to be who he was going to be sooner or later. He did not collect a magical power up in the AHL that vaulted him to stardom.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pacioretty requested to go down and get his confidence in his offensive game back......it worked for that season but he was going to be who he was going to be sooner or later. He did not collect a magical power up in the AHL that vaulted him to stardom.
He preferred playing big minutes in Laval, rather than limited minutes on the 4th line.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
No one mentioned magical power up. He did however keep his high level of scoring for half a season in AHL before his last call up and carrying it over to NHL.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
No one mentioned magical power up. He did however keep his high level of scoring for half a season in AHL before his last call up and carrying it over to NHL.

They overwhelmingly imply the "magical power up" as opposed to just getting his confidence and timing together.

Reactions: 417

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Guy's gonna put up some fat numbers next year playing with Cole and Nick. Will be the most productive Habs rookie in ages.
I dont know if I want him with Dach or Suzuki at ES. He would absolutely destroy teams with his ability to find open space for himself and his teammates with Dachs speed and size.

Assuming they move out Money
Slaf-Suzuki-Cole
Xx-Dach-Roy

Size, speed, shooting, playmaking all perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

(MSL is the avengers trying.to destroy this)

• Haha
Reactions: bcv

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I dont know if I want him with Dach or Suzuki at ES. He would absolutely destroy teams with his ability to find open space for himself and his teammates with Dachs speed and size.

Slaf-Suzuki-Cole
Xx-Dach-Roy

Size, speed, shooting, playmaking all perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Even if we keep Moneyhands, I'd have this as the top 6 and Monahan as the 3c.

Caufield Suzuki Slaf/Roy
Newhook Dach Slaf/Roy
RHP Monahan Anderson/Ylonen
Gallagher Evans Ylonen/Heineman
Pez

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We have a few possible players that can step up and be exceptional players in this league. I am really hoping Roy is that guy.

My long term hope....

Slaf - Suzuki - Roy
Celebrini/Eiserman/Demidov - Dach - Caufield
Heinemen - Newhook - Mesar
Ylonen - Beck - Farrell

• Haha
Reactions: HabsEstrie

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Newhook at C? Not gonna happen.
Slaf ahead for 10 times bigger talents like Celebrini or Eiserman? Not gonna happen. ;)

I'd go with this:

XXX -Celebrini - Caufield
Slaf-Suzuki-Roy
Newhook-Dach-Mesar
Heineman-Beck-Ylonen

XXX = experienced 1st line winger acquired by trade by HuGo
But first we need to win the lottery in 2024.lol

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Slaf-Suzuki-Cole
Xx-Dach-Roy

What’s with this xx nonsense?

Your boy Newhook is coming around. Take a bow. This is my crow dated back to the months leading up to the 2019 draft. You were right. I was wrong. Thank you

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Sometimes you forget to trust even yourself, youre right.
I think he’s just getting started. He could cap out as a 25/25 guy which would be fine enough. But I think there’s more there. Seems to score in bunches. Give him a real C with that speed and shot and we’ll be losing it over him. He’s still a kid who is only just now finding his way. Plenty of runway for him to get better.

We have more nice things then we’re allowing ourselves to think we have.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don’t know. He kind of did lol. That half a season in Hamilton did wonders. He was like night and day. He was always advertised as a playmaking big forward and lo and behold he just became a goal machine. That was never really in the cards for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad