Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
I have big hopes for roy but if anything stops him it will be the speed. They really have to work with him on it.
Agree'd he needs to work on his explosiveness. His ability to slow the game down to his speed with the puck is a special talent though. Top end speed isnt bad either. First steps need work though to create some seperation. It has improved alot since his draft year already though

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Roy bottom 6 at least. Hoping future 2nd line
I've been to Laval's games four times this year and from what I've seen he doesn't have a bottom 6 kind of game at all.

He's really smart so he'll steal a couple of pucks in a game but he doesn't win many puck battles nor does he grind much. For him it's top6 or nothing IMO.

His strength really is his skills and his hockey IQ. He finds open spaces, has quick chirurgical hands and his shot and passes are crisps and precise. He's the kind of player you don't notice and then he scores 2g1p as it was the case on wednesday.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I've been to Laval's games four times this year and from what I've seen he doesn't have a bottom 6 kind of game at all.

He's really smart so he'll steal a couple of pucks in a game but he doesn't win many puck battles nor does he grind much. For him it's top6 or nothing IMO.

His strength really is his skills and his hockey IQ. He finds open spaces, has quick chirurgical hands and his shot and passes are crisps and precise. He's the kind of player you don't notice and then he scores 2g1p as it was the case on wednesday.
Well I hope he makes top 6. Should give him a long look there next camp

Reactions: goforit

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I am going to almost entirely disagree......

His IQ and positioning as well as his ability to win puck battles and steal the puck are exactly why he could fit in the middle six. During his slump he was hesitant and was not noticeable as he quickly deferred when he did touch the puck. When he is on his game he is very noticeable as he handles the puck more and is constantly moving into gaps and seams to set himself up to receive the puck in great position. There is also the fact that when he is on he is confident and challenges defenders 1 on 1 often with positive results due to his slick hands and lightning release.

He was by a mile the best forward on the ice last night again and has made the adjustments that he needed to make to get called up. This has played out exactly as I hoped/predicted as they waited for him to hit the inevitable rookie slump and then waited for him to come out of it before calling him up. I am curious whether this is a legitimate call up where he is expected to try and earn a spot or just an introduction to the NHL game so that he can get a feel for where he needs to improve.

His strengths are his IQ, hands, release and puck protection. He is very good on the wall and wins all sorts of contested puck battles often using his quick hands to pick the puck off of the boards before the opponent has a chance to gain body position.

I suspect he is a player that will be huge for this organization but will also be frustrating at times much as Suzuki has been with the annual disappearing act but will shine when the chips are on the table.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I am going to almost entirely disagree......

His IQ and positioning as well as his ability to win puck battles and steal the puck are exactly why he could fit in the middle six. During his slump he was hesitant and was not noticeable as he quickly deferred when he did touch the puck. When he is on his game he is very noticeable as he handles the puck more and is constantly moving into gaps and seams to set himself up to receive the puck in great position. There is also the fact that when he is on he is confident and challenges defenders 1 on 1 often with positive results due to his slick hands and lightning release.

He was by a mile the best forward on the ice last night again and has made the adjustments that he needed to make to get called up. This has played out exactly as I hoped/predicted as they waited for him to hit the inevitable rookie slump and then waited for him to come out of it before calling him up. I am curious whether this is a legitimate call up where he is expected to try and earn a spot or just an introduction to the NHL game so that he can get a feel for where he needs to improve.

His strengths are his IQ, hands, release and puck protection. He is very good on the wall and wins all sorts of contested puck battles often using his quick hands to pick the puck off of the boards before the opponent has a chance to gain body position.

I suspect he is a player that will be huge for this organization but will also be frustrating at times much as Suzuki has been with the annual disappearing act but will shine when the chips are on the line.
Yeah I’ve seen enough extensive highlights of him where he’s endlessly creating high level scoring chances throughout the game.

His high end hockey IQ, with his D play, strength and fantastic skill set is very promising. I can’t see him missing at this point.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yeah I’ve seen enough extensive highlights of him where he’s endlessly creating high level scoring chances throughout the game.

His high end hockey IQ, with his D play, strength and fantastic skill set is very promising. I can’t see him missing at this point.
Agreed, he is a lock as an NHLer and has been for a couple of seasons now.

He is only 20 and is going to get stronger which is already a strength for him relative to his age. He will be a very good player in a few years when he gains his man strength as just being strong for a 20 year old may not prove to be enough at the NHL level given the fact that he doesn't have the speed to create separation. This is not to suggest that he is destined to fail during his first call up but just to keep expectations reasonable. He could very well take off and never look back as I have said from the start that he needs to play with high IQ linemates and not low IQ speed merchants like Gignac.

Looks like he is pencilled in to play with Monahan and Armia which is interesting as he has played with Armia in Laval and Monahan is a high IQ player....just have to really question the overall speed of that line lol.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Speed is no longer a problem for Roy, but he will need to adapt his style without the puck. In this phase of the game he needs to keep his feet moving. I know it's a cliché, but for him it's real. To stop skating with the puck and just slide is OK in some circumstances. His vision is so good that he can do that and slow down the pace, but he tends to do that also without the puck and that's not good. He is often too passive. It's where he needs to be more dynamic to steal pucks and break plays. He also need to improve in puck battles.

In other words, he needs to adapt more to the pro style. High IQ, vision, anticipation and good hands and shot are not enough. That being said in the NHL, playing with better players, may help him. In Laval I often saw him waiting for a pass that never comes because his linemates are not good enough. It's like making a pass to Gallagher with the Habs, you know he won't pass it back to you.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Speed is no longer a problem for Roy, but he will need to adapt his style without the puck. In this phase of the game he needs to keep his feet moving. I know it's a cliché, but for him it's real. To stop skating with the puck and just slide is OK in some circumstances. His vision is so good that he can do that and slow down the pace, but he tends to do that also without the puck and that's not good. He is often too passive. It's where he needs to be more dynamic to steal pucks and break plays. He also need to improve in puck battles.

In other words, he needs to adapt more to the pro style. High IQ, vision, anticipation and good hands and shot are not enough. That being said in the NHL, playing with better players, may help him. In Laval I often saw him waiting for a pass that never comes because his linemates are not good enough. It's like making a pass to Gallagher with the Habs, you know he won't pass it back to you.

As much as I like Roy, speed is and always will be a problem for him. If you are only referring to those who said his lack of speed will keep him out of the NHL then we are in complete agreement as he will easily clear that hurdle.If he had it he would be a lock to be a superstar but he does not have it and is left to improvise and make the most of his strengths in order to disguise his weakness. Much like Toffoli, there are going to be situations where he gets caught from behind or can't catch his opponent on the back check and they will be ugly. Positioning and anticipation will continue to be key ingredients to his success but due to his lack of foot speed, the room for error is very slight and we will have to live with the consequences from time to time. His lack of speed will always limit his effectiveness and his ceiling but I suspect he will be very effective regardless and will be an important player for the organization.

As far as compete level, when he is on his game his compete level is fine but when he is off he becomes passive. I think it is more confidence related than specifically work ethic related. Similar to how Suzuki can go from toe dragging guys and back checking like a demon for a stretch only to disappear and look disinterested for another stretch....it is all in their heads and both need to grow and limit those lapses in confidence.

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
It’s only been a period , but I would have expected more hustle in your first nhl game on Saturday night at home .
But again it’s just one period

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It’s only been a period , but I would have expected more hustle in your first nhl game on Saturday night at home .
But again it’s just one period
It's always been his style of play. He's stealthy, discrete, then bang! he scores. Silent assassin who's very good at being at the right place at the right time.

Reactions: tazsub3 and Beaker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad