Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
He mishandled a few pucks in the 1st period but not worried since these are plays that he routinely makes normally.

He did look a bit passive at times and I saw a few times where he played without urgency and the play was broken up by Edmonton (plays that would have worked in the AHL).

But I don’t think he got caught flat-footed, he’s already better than half the team with breakout and routes.

With the AHL all-star break coming up I think it made sense to give him a few games as a reward and to help highlight what he needs to develop and then back to the AHL for a playoff push.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Funny to read not ready about Roy, Slaf was totally not ready last year and not fully ready this year either but because he was a first overall pick they kept him against his best interests. We all know Roy is not fully ready. This call up will just show him that he still has work to do.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
They didn't show it. They both did zip.
I guess that is why our classy fans spent the entire game booing McDavid. He did nothing, other than control the play when he was on the ice and set up their winning goal. Draisaitl scored their other goal. We should only have such nothing players. We may even make the playoffs.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I guess that is why our classy fans spent the entire game booing McDavid. He did nothing, other than control the play when he was on the ice and set up their winning goal. Draisaitl scored their other goal. We should only have such nothing players. We may even make the playoffs.
I didn't see him do much when I was watching but that might be more to do with the other Oilers on the ice with him and the Habs on the ice covering him.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Funny to read not ready about Roy, Slaf was totally not ready last year and not fully ready this year either but because he was a first overall pick they kept him against his best interests. We all know Roy is not fully ready. This call up will just show him that he still has work to do.
The best thing for JRoy is too play a tonne of minutes every game in the AHL for the next year and half then get top 9 and maybe top 6 minutes down the road in the NHL

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Hope for him he don't needs too much tho because if he can't cut it next year in his D+4, there will be a plethora of younger prospects knocking at the door.

I agree, the window for Roy is open through the middle of next season, but after that he's in trouble.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I agree, the window for Roy is open through the middle of next season, but after that he's in trouble.
He is a 5th rounder who is barely 20. Maybe he needs another season and a half in Laval. Some young player take upwards of 3 full AHL seasons to arrive. What's the rush? It's not like there is an abundance of young stud forward prospects.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Booing the opposing star has been a mark of respect forever. The all-woman panel describing Marie-Philippe Poulin getting booed in Ottawa (yes the capital of the nation she won gold for) loved the reaction. A bit over-sensitive there Mr. Nimitz?

As for Roy, he hardly saw the ice or touched the puck, I vote we give him another chance lol.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Booing the opposing star has been a mark of respect forever. The all-woman panel describing Marie-Philippe Poulin getting booed in Ottawa (yes the capital of the nation she won gold for) loved the reaction. A bit over-sensitive there Mr. Nimitz?

As for Roy, he hardly saw the ice or touched the puck, I vote we give him another chance lol.

That's Admiral Nimitz to you...

• Haha
Reactions: Naslundforever

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
His skating needs work still but it’s improved quite a bit from what I can see which is encouraging.

I don’t think it’s quite the hurdle some are making it out to be but I could be wrong. I surely don’t think it’s poor. He’s had his fair share of breakaways.

I do see things besides the skating I don’t love at times. He still has room to improve but getting a taste of the big leagues is the best way to further his game. He needs to get a better idea of what he needs to work on to take the next step.

I think the overall offensive package is too good to rule out serious top 6 upside. The pedigree points that way emphatically.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Kids first game in Show. What the hell were people expecting?!?! 3 blocked shots and a shot on net show he was engaged and involved. Man this fan base is outta touch when it comes to development

I see some seasoned posters surprisingly reading alot into his first game.

It's not uncommon to have a top prospect get some time in the "show". He gets a nice paycheque for a bit and gets a taste of the luxuries in the NHL game.

The call up isn't to say that he's ready. He will be going down at some point. This is just the dangling of a carrot infront if him to show him the ropes and remind him what hes working towards. Farrell got it last year as well coming out of the ncaa.

Frankly, there's just not alot to read out of this. We all know he isn't ready yet.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Yes, no doubt. The classiest show of respect possible. The rest of the league is very impressed as this team continues to wander in the wilderness looking for anything that makes us relevant.

Jul 6, 2016
Roy is having his cup of coffey while Anderson and Pearson are injured for few more days.

IndigoJeans

Jan 2, 2024
Too bad I didn't watch his first game. Nice to read reports on his game but nothing replace seiing from my own eyes, next game.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
He is a 5th rounder who is barely 20. Maybe he needs another season and a half in Laval. Some young player take upwards of 3 full AHL seasons to arrive. What's the rush? It's not like there is an abundance of young stud forward prospects.
I am always amazed at how quickly fans are ready to write a player off. Not a super star, YOU SUCK!!!

Reactions: HitHard

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I love that he got to play against McDavid and Draisitl in his first game.

Interestingly, in mini camp and pre-season games, Roy has worn #97. Generally speaking, if the number you wore in pre-season is available when you get called up, that's the sweater number you wear with the Canadiens.

But Roy took to the ice last night wearing #89. I wonder if the fact that his first game was against that other #97, they figured why add one more level or pressure, however silly, on this kid.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Interestingly, in mini camp and pre-season games, Roy has worn #97. Generally speaking, if the number you wore in pre-season is available when you get called up, that's the sweater number you wear with the Canadiens.

But Roy took to the ice last night wearing #89. I wonder if the fact that his first game was against that other #97, they figured why add one more level or pressure, however silly, on this kid.

It was reported in local media (by Roy). On game day Habs trainer asked him if he was sure about #97 and Roy himself said "yeaaah let's pick #89 instead", said it was probably the smart decision to avoid unintended fallout / false bad rep

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's always been his style of play. He's stealthy, discrete, then bang! he scores. Silent assassin who's very good at being at the right place at the right time.
Toffoli is like that, for example. If we end up with a young Toffoli as a 5th round pick, we'll be very lucky.

Reactions: DAChampion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad