Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
It's true, but also when players are ready you notice them and force their way into more ice time and better line-mates.
Ala Struble, Xhakej last year, Caufield in his debut, etc.

Roy is good, but he's not there yet. Against 2 of the best team in the league, he didn't suck either at the very least.

Reactions: Pomee and Rapala

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It’s fine. He can go back down and come back next year. We’ll have more players for him to play with.

His first two games are against McDrai and Makarninnon… :laugh:

Now he has an appreciation for what the league looks like.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Didn't even notice him tonight. Needs more baking in the AHL.
He didn't get much ice time in the third but these were two extremely hard match ups for him.

The things I did notice were the small details that add up to him becoming a very solid pro.
He already shows more aptitude than the majority of our forwards with his puck management.
He doesn't give the puck away cheaply and can generally connect the dots with his play.
He will only get better with his board play as he gets used to the faster pace.
Sure he can use more time on the farm but there was nothing to dislike about his efforts here.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
He didn't get much ice time in the third but these were two extremely hard match ups for him.

The things I did notice were the small details that add up to him becoming a very solid pro.
He already shows more aptitude than the majority of our forwards with his puck management.
He doesn't give the puck away cheaply and can generally connect the dots with his play.
He will only get better with his board play as he gets used to the faster pace.
Sure he can use more time on the farm but there was nothing to dislike about his efforts here.
Ya I’m not crapping on him, i just don’t think he’s ready. Give him a little more time if they want, but I saw more from Heineman.

Reactions: rik schau and Pomee

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It’s fine. He can go back down and come back next year. We’ll have more players for him to play with.

His first two games are against McDrai and Makarninnon… :laugh:

Now he has an appreciation for what the league looks like.
And the fans have an appreciation of what he looks like playing against NHL competition.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
His line just didn't have the puck to do anything with it and the powerplay never got to his unit.

He'll go back down to the AHL for the rest of the year barring more injuries and its fine. Didn't expect much this year.

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
Have you ever taken a chicken breast out of the over and it looked crispy, golden and delicious, but then when you stick your knife into it you realize it's still pink on the inside so you put it back in the oven?

I think that's what's happening with Josh Wawa

Reactions: Toene and Pomee

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Have you ever taken a chicken breast out of the over and it looked crispy, golden and delicious, but then when you stick your knife into it you realize it's still pink on the inside so you put it back in the oven?

I think that's what's happening with Josh Wawa

Not necessarily, I think they wanted to give him a taste and then send him back.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
And he wouldn't get noticed with 15 minutes either have you seen the lineup? The only way to get noticed is to play on the first line , Slaf already took that spot and ran away with it, all our other lines can't control the puck in the offensive zone for very long whatsoever.

If Dach and Newhook were healthy we could have a conversation here but right now I really don't see how Roy is supposed to make an impact on his own. Although I'm not as high on him as some others are here so maybe my expectations are lower

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I really hope you are right as you seem to have watched more of his AHL games than I do.

If what you see in him is real and he translates it to the NHL, he could pretty well become the next Mark Stone (ie not quick/mobile, but every other aspects so f*cking elite that we don't care).

Stone is 6'4" so he is not a perfect comparison but I agree with your overall view.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He played 2 games and was invisible,Heinemen was visible.

His game is literally based on being invisible.

He’s going to be good positionally and wait for the perfect time to make a play, he’s played this way his whole career and as mentioned here many times, it’s the same way Toffoli has carved himself out a productive NHL career. Above average shot, above average passing, average skating, but high IQ/awareness.

Heineman doesn’t have the luxury of playing a cerebral game.

Roy needed NHL exposure at some point in order to expose what he needs to work on, mission accomplished. Now he needs to work on those things before camp next year if he wants to make the team.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I really hope you are right as you seem to have watched more of his AHL games than I do.

If what you see in him is real and he translates it to the NHL, he could pretty well become the next Mark Stone (ie not quick/mobile, but every other aspects so f*cking elite that we don't care).

And hopefully he can still improve his speed. Evan's improved his speed at a relatively late stage in his development.

Reactions: goforit

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
His game is literally based on being invisible.

He’s going to be good positionally and wait for the perfect time to make a play, he’s played this way his whole career and as mentioned here many times, it’s the same way Toffoli has carved himself out a productive NHL career. Above average shot, above average passing, average skating, but high IQ/awareness.

Heineman doesn’t have the luxury of playing a cerebral game.

Roy needed NHL exposure at some point in order to expose what he needs to work on, mission accomplished. Now he needs to work on those things before camp next year if he wants to make the team.
Since when is being invisible a good thing. Toffoli is/was not invisible if that's the comparison,slow yes but an effective fore-checker that snipes and can make plays.

Claiming Heineman doesn't play a cerebral game is premature imo. At least he showed something,unlike Roy.

So now they saw what he is currently but that was enough to say he should not be in the NHL now,down the road,time will tell.

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017
He got very few puck touches in his games. As someone else said, his line got buried into their own zone more than their fair share, so it’s pretty hard to showcase offense in this scenario.

He might still be pink, but the beautiful and tender exterior has not been tasted yet. :)

Hopefully it’s easier tonight VS a worse opponent!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
His line just didn't have the puck to do anything with it and the powerplay never got to his unit.

He'll go back down to the AHL for the rest of the year barring more injuries and its fine. Didn't expect much this year.
Just wanted to give him a 'taste'
Under a handful of NHL games is perfect for this year
Don't even care what he looks like in them

But if they keep him beyond that I'll be upset with management a bit

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Won't even be possible right now.. Anderson will join the team on the trip and Pearson is travelling with the team to continue his rehab.

There will be another roster move to make when both are healthy, beyond sending Roy down - if my math is right, and it may not be.

Reactions: Redux91

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

He'll know what to work on when he goes back to the AHL at least. I don't think they're stupid enough to overextend his stay, he should be going back down soon I imagine.

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad