Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Roy has showed me more than all those guys, although I’ve liked Heineman as well.

I’d rather see a full year of AHL for all of our higher end prospects. Let the depth guys like Ylonen and Andersson be the reserve/call up types.

Guys like Roy, Farrell, Mailloux, etc should only get serious looks in 24-25.
Personally i prefered Heineman to Roy.

But thats debatable at best and thats the problem. Roy has to take his spot, he haven't so far.

As for Andersson, Maillet and Ylonen i think its simply because these guy are evaluated as 4th liner/PKers, doubt Roy is envisioned in such a role.

Also, higher end prospect rarely have to go through the AHL. Its for fringe NHLers, B-type prospect who will have to distinguish themselves there (Roy) or 18YO European who cant cut it yet.

Guhle, Slaf, Suzuki, Dach, Caufield, KK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, etc all did not have to go via the AHL except for short useless stint or because of the 2012 lockout.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Personally i prefered Heineman to Roy.

But thats debatable at best and thats the problem. Roy has to take his spot, he haven't so far.

As for Andersson, Maillet and Ylonen i think its simply because these guy are evaluated as 4th liner/PKers, doubt Roy is envisioned in such a role.

Also, higher end prospect rarely have to go through the AHL. Its for fringe NHLers, B-type prospect who will have to distinguish themselves there (Roy) or 18YO European who cant cut it yet.

I mean, it's not that rare.

Film Noir

Mar 7, 2010
Verdun
Suzuki - Caufield
Dach - Slafkovsky

Pretty awesome core to build around. We will see with Newhook and we might do better than RHP there but Roy has not shown it yet.
That's not awesome by any stretch of the imagination. None of them are elite right now. And none of them are locks to be elite down the road.

Now, I don't think Roy will be elite either. But let's not act like there's no spot available for a real point producer on the roster.

I mean, when given the chance, RHP was a better scorer last year than pretty much all of the players you've listed. And he's no Team Canada material.

How bad this team is cannot be understated.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Suzuki - Caufield
Dach - Slafkovsky

Pretty awesome core to build around. We will see with Newhook and we might do better than RHP there but Roy has not shown it yet.

Newhook looked great last night, was better than Suzuki or Caufield if we’re being honest.

RHP is how many years older than Roy? Give him time, he’s got a lot more potential than RHO
That's not awesome by any stretch of the imagination. None of them are elite right now. And none of them are locks to be elite down the road.

Now, I don't think Roy will be elite either. But let's not act like there's no spot available for a real point producer on the roster.

I mean, when given the chance, RHP was a better scorer last year than pretty much all of the players you've listed. And he's no Team Canada material.

Some people are still blinded by the fact we have some good prospects in the pipe and a couple good young recently graduated players. So do most teams. We’ve just been so bad at developing for so long (among the worst in the NHL) that this is a small bright spot on a dark time in Habs history

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Indeed. Might have been a bad phrasing.

An high end prospect at 20YO(D+3) usually is not in the AHL. Clearer this way i think.

It's definitely true that the older you get while playing in the AHL, the slimmer your chances get. But 20 is a good age to play a season there. But generally things go well for prospects quickly, or they don't make it. We'll know what's what with Roy soon enough.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I would love to know why some of you gentlemen think that Roy won't make the NHL after completely tearing up every level he's played at.

He will take time! Some of us take time.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Doubt he makes the NHL with us.

Top 6 is pretty strong and setted for a while, but there is still one long term spot (Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Slafkovksy, Caufield).

Then he is competing with players like RHP, Josh Anderson (4 contract years), Emil Heineman, Sean Farrell, Jared Davidson. All those players except Farrell are probably better suited for a middle/bottom six role than Roy.

Next year, maybe we sign Luke Tuch and there will be the 2024 draftees.

If we go on the trade or UFA market to acquire another forward talent then his chance are pretty much cooked in my humble opinion.
That's why I'm open to trading him. Him or Newhook, or both! I like em both but we can do better. They can help us get that stud winger or two

CC - Suzuki - Roy
Newhook - Dach - Slaf

It's nice but I want better

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Well i think Roy will be an NHLer. Just not with us.

I dont think he has the dynamic attributes we see in top 6 forward.

I dont think he beats the winger he has we have in our top 6, especially if we go on the trade/ufa market to improve our roster.

Sure he has smooth hands and a great finishing touches and he seems to have a good understanding of the game. But unless he kills the AHL, i don't see a clear path for him toward a regular spot with us.

Players like Heineman and Josh Anderson are also better suited for middle/bottom six role.
How so? How's Roy not perfect 3rd line player if your definition of a 3rd line isn't two pud wingers centred by another pud?

Seriously, why such a negative take of Roy?

Plays good defensive hockey, good at puckpossession/retrieval, good anticipation for picks on opposing forwards coming at him with the puck their stick, good playmakers, great shot and hockey IQ.

Roy won't be the one rushing up the ice from behind his net to the opposing goal line with the puck à laGimez? So what? He'll do more with the puck in the O-Zone than Gomez did for most of his stay with Montreal.

Suzuki - Caufield
Dach - Slafkovsky

Roy has not had the chance to show it. What are you expecting with no opportunity to show it?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It's definitely true that the older you get while playing in the AHL, the slimmer your chances get. But 20 is a good age to play a season there. But generally things go well for prospects quickly, or they don't make it. We'll know what's what with Roy soon enough.
We see eyes to eyes here.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Roy needs to be put in a situation where he plays offense in the NHL. Some guys like Anderson and Monahan need to play in offensive situations in order to boost their value as much as possible. He will be re-called as soon as there's room. Might be at the deadline, or way before that, but he will play in the NHL this season.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Roy has not had the chance to show it. What are you expecting with no opportunity to show it?

I am not denying the good things in his games.

He had the prospect game, the scrimmages and two preseason games.

He was good sure. But he did not take the bull by the horn and showed he had to be here.

He will have to take the long way home. (Distinguish himself in the AHL.)

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Then he is competing with players like RHP, Josh Anderson (4 contract years), Emil Heineman, Sean Farrell, Jared Davidson. All those players except Farrell are probably better suited for a middle/bottom six role than Roy.
Disagree, Roy is probably the better 2way players in all of those you named. He may not have the speed to forecheck like Heineman and Davidson, but he's on another level in terms of IQ and skills. IMO he could play anywhere on the lineup and would fulfill his role. It just so happens he's also a pretty good offensive player.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Of course most top prospects aren't in the AHL in their D+3. Most of them are either in Europe still or in the NCAA (if we're talking about players not in the NHL yet).

Off the top, Jack Quinn played his D+3 in the AHL, so did Jason Robertson. They benefitted a lot from going that route. I could probably name some more players if I took some time.

EDIT : Screw it, let's keep going
Berggren, Eklund, Holtz (arguable at this point tbf), Dufour, Bourque, Bordeleau, Peterka, Pelletier, Reichel, Maccielli (21 years old too), Rossi, Tomasino...

And that's just the last 3 seasons. So yeah, a lot of potential top 6/top line players do go through the AHL in their D+3 draft year.

Last edited:
Reactions: McGuires Corndog

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

RHP was on a hot streak while shooting 30%. He’s not in the same sentence as Caufield let’s be serious lol.

Caufield is pretty elite at what he does. But yes, other than that the habs needs an elite point producer. Don’t think it’s Roy, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadMslm and Sagikev

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I’m glad Roy is getting AHL time. By the time he gets here, hopefully he’ll be ready to go. I’m trying not to get too excited about him but I’m hopeful that he can be a solid top six.
He’s excellent with his stick defensively, that’s one thing that really stuck out to me in camp. He’s also a hard worker to get pucks.

Considering the skill level and the fact one of his knocks was that he was “lazy”, he’s definitely trending in the right direction and make all the adjustments he needs to make.

I’m quite confident he ends up a middle-6 forward that can kill penalties.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Of course most top prospects aren't in the AHL in their D+3. Most of them are either in Europe still or in the NCAA (if we're talking about players not in the NHL yet).

Off the top, Jack Quinn played his D+3 in the AHL, so did Jason Robertson. They benefitted a lot from going that route. I could probably name some more players if I took some time.

Most high end prospect are in the NHL in their D+3.

At this point, if they are not, they have to distinguish themselves in the AHL.

Quinn and Robertson are the outliers, not the norm.

I mean yes, a lot of players are taking that road and ends up good players but much more players in this road ends up fringe NHLers or eternal AHLers.

Its up to Roy now to distinguish himself down there and play himself into an NHL spot.

Odds are starting to stack against him. He may beat them in the end.

My point is simply that its a big big year ahead for him. He has to display his skills.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
My point is simply that its a big big year ahead for him. He has to display his skills.

Definitely.

Roy needs to show it this year.

I'm personally hoping for a dominant AHL rookie season, reminiscent of Pacioretty and Subban.

But ...

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Definitely.

Roy needs to show it this year.

I'm personally hoping for a dominant AHL rookie season, reminiscent of Pacioretty and Subban.

But ...

I dont hope for anything personally. He is a B prospect and he may just not make it and im perfectly fine with that. I would be glad if he ends up a great top sixer with us but like i said, these type of talent are already in the NHL in their D+3. Odds are that out of Heineman, Roy, Farrell, Davidson, Mesar, Beck, Kidney, Kapanen, Tuch etc. 1 or 2 will make it...

We have a great history of hyping fringe prospect whom odds are against them and shitting and calling our true upcoming star bust even if their talent and growth is obvious.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would love to know why some of you gentlemen think that Roy won't make the NHL after completely tearing up every level he's played at.

He will take time! Some of us take time.

no one knows one way or the other. prospects tear up junior leagues all the time and end up nothing burgers, Primeau was one of the best U-19 and U-20 goalies in NCAA history.

Roy is highly skilled with the IQ to match but lacks physical tools which makes it harder to try and figure how his game will translate. We'll see how it goes for him this year to get a clearer picture.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I dont hope for anything personally. He is a B prospect and he may just not make it and im perfectly fine with that. I would be glad if he ends up a great top sixer with us but like i said, these type of talent are already in the NHL in their D+3. Odds are that out of Heineman, Roy, Farrell, Davidson, Mesar, Beck, Kidney, Kapanen, Tuch etc. 1 or 2 will make it...

We have a great history of hyping fringe prospect whom odds are against them and shitting and calling our true upcoming star bust even if their talent and growth is obvious.

Totally agree. I just think Roy's the guy who makes it.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Suzuki - Caufield
Dach - Slafkovsky

We realistically have 3 bonafide top 6 players in Dach, Caufield and Suzuki (and even Dach has to prove he can remain healthy). There is not “too much talent” on the team for Roy to crack a spot one day. In fact, the spots are there for the taking.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
We realistically have 3 bonafide top 6 players in Dach, Caufield and Suzuki (and even Dach has to prove he can remain healthy). There is not “too much talent” on the team for Roy to crack a spot one day. In fact, the spots are there for the taking.
We will be drafting and filling one of those spots at the 2024 Draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad