Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Even if we assume Roy is ready for an NHL spot, I'd still prefer he starts in the AHL
For the full season, with maybe some call ups for a few games when injuries hit.
I, like most, think his floor is top9 and can potentially be a top6 complementary winger

I don't get the rush, let him thrive in the AHL, it's not like we are in an urgent need right now

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I wish he had explosion in his step and a puck possession type game… but he clearly has an elite sense of offense, can dish the puck well, good in tight spaces, has the hands…. on top of that he’s defensively sound. It’ll translate to the NHL if he’s paired with talent.
I think he also wishes he had a explosive stride. That limiting skating deficit will really impair his ability and success at the NHL level.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
237 days between Slaf and Roy.

Whos the better prospect ?
Haha nice one. It’s a valid point you’re making. Slaf’s still very raw. He still has the higher upside.

Roy is shaping up to be a tremendous steal.
Could Roy be the better player? Yes.
Is that the greatest feeling to have about a 1OA? No. But even if Slaf doesn’t end up as good as Roy he could still be a very important piece. At the end of the day he wouldn’t be worth a 1OA though. Roy could end up a star though.

Slaf’s upside though still wins out. He has the tools to flat out dominate. Whether the decision-making is due to him figuring it all out or low IQ Is still a question. I don’t think it’s low IQ. He’s way too heady a passer to be low IQ. But there’s certain decisions he’s gotta be better at. I’ve seen improvements there though.

Reactions: KFlint

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Style vs performance? You do know you will never find an exact comparison but we do it all the time.
More in line with the goal scoring, hockey IQ, and skating. Similar in those areas in terms of potential.

Both Toffoli and Perry. I stand firm... I think he falls in the middle of those two. I think he's better than Toffoli... how much better is the question.
Perry is a terrible comparison. JMO.
Having had seasons in London since 99 alot of talent has run thru this city and Perry is in the top 5 with Kane, Nash.....That kid had the skill but also a huge set on him and a drive unparalleled from day 1.
I don't see Roy live, but what I do see is different players.
Don't mean I question Roy's potential.
But Damm the hyperbole after a WJC, D+ year and 1 exxy....
If he becomes a sild bottom 6 or 2nd liner......Great pick

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Perry is a terrible comparison. JMO.
Having had seasons in London since 99 alot of talent has run thru this city and Perry is in the top 5 with Kane, Nash.....That kid had the skill but also a huge set on him and a drive unparalleled from day 1.
I don't see Roy live, but what I do see is different players.
Don't mean I question Roy's potential.
But Damm the hyperbole after a WJC, D+ year and 1 exxy....
If he becomes a sild bottom 6 or 2nd liner......Great pick

You're yet another one who can't comprehend things well. The range is somewhere in the middle of Toffoli and Perry and I was very clear about that. There is quite a range between Toffoli and Perry don't you think? Then you come along and only talk about Perry thinking it's a direct comparison. :facepalm:

Skating, Hockey IQ, and Goal scoring power. It fits when you look at those areas of the game.

Reactions: DAChampion

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
You're yet another one who can't comprehend things well. The range is somewhere in the middle of Toffoli and Perry and I was very clear about that. There is quite a range between Toffoli and Perry don't you think? Then you come along and only talk about Perry thinking it's a direct comparison. :facepalm:

Skating, Hockey IQ, and Goal scoring power. It fits when you look at those areas of the game.

So because I don't agree with you I don't comprehend well? Ok, know I know you are the authority lol.

Reactions: MadMslm

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So because I don't agree with you I don't comprehend well? Ok, know I know you are the authority lol.

No, I'm saying you are not comprehending what I said which is a fact. You replied with a direct comparison to Perry and didn't even talk about Toffoli. I said in between Toffoli and Perry and it was a skating, hockey IQ, and goal scoring power comparison. I think Toffoli is a low base and Perry is the high base. It's not that difficult to understand. Sorry but that's your error.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Ok he
No, I'm saying you are not comprehending what I said which is a fact. You replied with a direct comparison to Perry and didn't even talk about Toffoli. I said in between Toffoli and Perry and it was a skating, hockey IQ, and goal scoring power comparison. I think Toffoli is a low base and Perry is the high base. It's not that difficult to understand. Sorry but that's your error.

No need to say sorry, n I don't think it's an error but one could say he is player that also "in between" McDavid and pezzeta, which I guess is factual even if all 3 players are non comparable.
No biggie I dont see Perry as ONE of the parameters you choose as a marker for comparison.
I just hope he turns into a solid Hab thst contributes in a year or 2.
No need to try n convince me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok he

No need to say sorry, n I don't think it's an error but one could say he is player that also "in between" McDavid and pezzeta, which I guess is factual even if all 3 players are non comparable.
No biggie I dont see Perry as ONE of the parameyers you choose as a marker for comparison.
I just hope he turns into a solid Hab thst contributes in a year or 2.
No Ned to try n convince me.

McDavid and Pezzetta is a reach. Spins don't prove any value. Time to move on. Next time, read more carefully ;)

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Slaf for sure, but Roy play like Toffoli and I believe he can have the same impact than Toffoli during his career. A great two-way top 6 forward, smart game and good hockey IQ.
Toffoli is 31 and coming off his best season with 34 goals 73 points. Not a bad peak at all and if there’s anyone who can pull a Pavelski and keep improving into his 30s it’s him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Toffoli is 31 and coming off his best season with 34 goals 73 points. Not a bad peak at all and if there’s anyone who can pull a Pavelski and keep improving into his 30s it’s him.
Funny because I made the Toffoli comparison first with Roy but Pavelski is also another very good comparison for him. Hes gonna be so good.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Haha nice one. It’s a valid point you’re making. Slaf’s still very raw. He still has the higher upside.

Roy is shaping up to be a tremendous steal.
Could Roy be the better player? Yes.
Is that the greatest feeling to have about a 1OA? No. But even if Slaf doesn’t end up as good as Roy he could still be a very important piece. At the end of the day he wouldn’t be worth a 1OA though. Roy could end up a star though.

Slaf’s upside though still wins out. He has the tools to flat out dominate. Whether the decision-making is due to him figuring it all out or low IQ Is still a question. I don’t think it’s low IQ. He’s way too heady a passer to be low IQ. But there’s certain decisions he’s gotta be better at. I’ve seen improvements there though.
It’s says more about Roy’s improvement than anything else.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I love the hands and hockey IQ - his skating still scares the shit out of me
:(

He's not going to be a puck carrying winger. So yeah, if he is surrounded with talent that compliment his game, he's going to know how to fit in that structure and not play outside of his strengths. He's already showing that ability at several levels of his development path. You can clearly see how he adjusts to playing with Bedard at the WJC vs his style in the Q.

He certainly don't lack confidence.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you truly want to do right by Joshua Roy, send him to Laval and play him in every situation. Why rush him?

I tend to agree but as a NHL manager, you don't operate that way. Us fans can but if you are MSL/Hughes/Gorton, you have to be open to him producing and making the roster. You can always have a overview plan but you need to be open to adjustments in that plan. Things can be fluid.

He may very well start in the AHL due to our roster crunch and Price on LTIR (after the season). Or he could take Slaf's spot where Slaf gets the chance to play AHL to get more confidence and ice time. Habs need to get to 21 man roster in order to be under the cap with Price included. I believe that is their plan. So Roy would really have to turn the needle to start with the Habs.

Also, if Roy plays AHL, who is he playing with as a center? L Andersson?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I tend to agree but as a NHL manager, you don't operate that way. Us fans can but if you are MSL/Hughes/Gorton, you have to be open to him producing and making the roster. You can always have a overview plan but you need to be open to adjustments in that plan. Things can be fluid.

He may very well start in the AHL due to our roster crunch and Price on LTIR (after the season). Or he could take Slaf's spot where Slaf gets the chance to play AHL to get more confidence and ice time. Habs need to get to 21 man roster in order to be under the cap with Price included. I believe that is their plan. So Roy would really have to turn the needle to start with the Habs.

Also, if Roy plays AHL, who is he playing with as a center? L Andersson?
For years, Detroit operated that way, allowing their best prospects to mature in the AHL before calling them up to the NHL later on.

I would avoid using absolute statements as you just did because it sets you up as an authority on the subject when you are just a poster on a fan forum.

It's always grating when I read this style of post, but maybe it's just me. It's not like you don't make valid arguments that don't need this know-it-all, superior tone.

"I tend to agree as fan, but as an NHL manager, I don't think you should operate that way..."

Reactions: rve24

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It’s says more about Roy’s improvement than anything else.
For sure. As much as I’m on the ‘pro Slaf’ side of the debate (over simplification I know) I still completely get wanting Slaf to show more. It’s reasonable.

I just don’t get the 20/20 upside talk. And to be THAT certain about it. That was a little screwy to me. That’s far more closer to a worst case scenario than an accurate projection of his upside.

Roy’s great. Why not we be stoked we have both? lol. People seem to think we’re starved for firepower up front. I think we have tons of potential there that’s on the team right now. Ironically, I could see our forwards being a bigger strength than our D and goalies this year.

Jul 6, 2016
They should try Roy with Newhook and Anderson. I know that Roy and Andy prefer to play RW, but Roy is a left hand shot and should be tried at LW with these two guys. Can he follow their speed ?

Then, we could have

Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan
RHP-Dach-Slaf
Roy-Newhook-Anderson
whatever on the 4th (Pezz-Pearson-Evans-Ylonen....)
.........What to do with Gally and Armia ??????????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad