Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
They should try Roy with Newhook and Anderson. I know that Roy and Andy prefer to play RW, but Roy is a left hand shot and should be tried at LW with these two guys. Can he follow their speed ?

Then, we could have

Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan
RHP-Dach-Slaf
Roy-Newhook-Anderson
whatever on the 4th (Pezz-Pearson-Evans-Ylonen....)
.........What to do with Gally and Armia ??????????
I think they’re gonna try lots of things.

Really liked Monahan on the top line. But I think I’d prefer if he swapped with Newhook. I just think Monahan can bring the best out of anyone he plays with which could help Anderson.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 6, 2016
I think they’re gonna try lots of things.

Really liked Monahan on the top line. But I think I’d prefer if he swapped with Newhook. I just think Monahan can bring the best out of anyone he plays with which could help Anderson.
Monahan gives a bit more size and a good face offs man to complement Suzuki on the 1st line. Loads of experience, too. Newhook and Anderson seem to have found some chemistry with their speed.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Monahan gives a bit more size and a good face offs man to complement Suzuki on the 1st line. Loads of experience, too. Newhook and Anderson seem to have found some chemistry with their speed.
I think the one thing that doesn’t work is the mismatch in Monahan and Anderson’s speed. The 1st line would be fairly small but it’s worth it to see what Newhook can do with those 2. Monahan I think just makes anyone look better. though.

We have a crazy amount of options and I think it’s worthwhile to explore as many as possible

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
McDavid and Pezzetta is a reach. Spins don't prove any value. Time to move on. Next time, read more carefully ;)

I read the post I responded to carefully enough to understand it was a bad comparable.
Don't post an opinion if ya don't want a response but ya showed alot by responding immediately with personal digs ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think the one thing that doesn’t work is the mismatch in Monahan and Anderson’s speed. The 1st line would be fairly small but it’s worth it to see what Newhook can do with those 2. Monahan I think just makes anyone look better. though.

We have a crazy amount of options and I think it’s worthwhile to explore as many as possible

It is a common misnomer that fast players need fast players to play with. You don't want all 3 forwards skating up the ice in a parallel line and just having one or two really fast players is enough to back off defenders to create space for trailers in the high slot and tops of the circles.

Besides Monahan is a good skater when healthy so it is a moot point.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
He already did, more than once.. :laugh:

Here's a recent one:

If he wants to look up to a player who relies more on his hockey IQ than his speed, he should model his game after our own Captain instead.

Our own captain has modeled his game after Jonnhy T. Or at least had been compared to him coming up to the NHL.

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Our own captain has modeled his game after Jonnhy T. Or at least had been compared to him coming up to the NHL.

I have no clue how you got this idea in your head, but let's put a stop to this false claim right away. :laugh:

It's been known for years that Suzuki models his game after Patrice Bergeron and Sidney Crosby.

"Since childhood, he has admired the play of Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby and wears No. 37 because he models his game after Boston's Patrice Bergeron."

"I think he's one of the best players in the NHL at stealing pucks from guys, lifting their sticks and turning defence into offence," Suzuki says of the Bruins centre. "Crosby, just the way he protects the puck low [in the offensive zone]. He's probably the best in the NHL using his body to shield the puck in the corner.
"

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I find Roy was effective in the dzone/neutral zone too. He's been stealing puck and stopping zone entries a lot.
This is part of what we want to see from him, good thing he's going into 2 way type of player and try to excell in both paths. I think the kid have a good head, there are traps for that kind of player but he's smart enough to understand what he need to improve and work thru that way instead of thinking his old junior tricks will last forever.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I can see Roy on the fourth line, slowing the game down, holding onto the puck, clogging up the neutral zone and then popping the occasional goal. Doing all the little things. Hopefully he'll have a similar progression as Danault.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Doubt he makes the NHL with us.

Top 6 is pretty strong and setted for a while, but there is still one long term spot (Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Slafkovksy, Caufield).

Then he is competing with players like RHP, Josh Anderson (4 contract years), Emil Heineman, Sean Farrell, Jared Davidson. All those players except Farrell are probably better suited for a middle/bottom six role than Roy.

Next year, maybe we sign Luke Tuch and there will be the 2024 draftees.

If we go on the trade or UFA market to acquire another forward talent then his chance are pretty much cooked in my humble opinion.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Top 6 is pretty strong and setted for a while, but there is still one long term spot (Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Slafkovksy, Caufield).

Then he is competing with players like RHP, Josh Anderson (4 contract years), Emil Heineman, Sean Farrell, Jared Davidson. All those players except Farrell are probably better suited for a middle/bottom six role than Roy.

If we go on the trade or UFA market to acquire another forward talent then his chance are pretty much cooked in my humble opinion.
I'm not ready to conclude this yet. He just, just turned 20 and has played at a high level the last three years.

He needs to adjust to the speed of the pro game, but he will make great strides within a yere in that regard.

He has enough talent and enough compete level to play a 3rd line role, and get some points as well - but give it a year or two until he hits that level.

Luke Tuch is 1.5 years older and Roy would surely have tons more points in the NCAA than Tuch. Look at what Farrell did last year, and Roy is ahead of Sean.

If we are going to trade Roy, Chicago might like to reunite him with Bedard.

Reactions: KFlint

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Harsh evaluation.

I think you're out to lunch, personally.

Worst case scenario (if he doesn't make the top-6), Roy is perfect for an eventual third line with Beck at C and, maybe, Heineman on the LW?

He'd also become an excellent fill-in for injured top-6 players, plus he could play on both special teams, maybe as a shot option on the right side (as a lefty) for the PP.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I dunno about that. I get the feeling that Roy will make his habs debut sooner rather than later. I think he'll do very well in the AHL positioning himself for a call up, and we'll have a few injuries.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I dunno about that. I get the feeling that Roy will make his habs debut sooner rather than later. I think he'll do very well in the AHL positioning himself for a call up, and we'll have a few injuries.

I hope so.

I think right now Habs brass value Heineman, Ylonen, Lias Andersson and f***ing Maillet above him.

Doubt he will be the first call up to make the team.

I'm not ready to conclude this yet. He just, just turned 20 and has played at a high level the last three years.

He needs to adjust to the speed of the pro game, but he will make great strides within a yere in that regard.

He has enough talent and enough compete level to play a 3rd line role, and get some points as well - but give it a year or two until he hits that level.

Luke Tuch is 1.5 years older and Roy would surely have tons more points in the NCAA than Tuch. Look at what Farrell did last year, and Roy is ahead of Sean.

If we are going to trade Roy, Chicago might like to reunite him with Bedard.
He has defining year in the AHL in front of him. Thats for sure.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Harsh evaluation.

I think you're out to lunch, personally.

Worst case scenario (if he doesn't make the top-6), Roy is perfect for an eventual third line with Beck at C and, maybe, Heineman on the LW?

He'd also become an excellent fill-in for injured top-6 players, plus he could play on both special teams, maybe as a shot option on the right side (as a lefty) for the PP.
Well i think Roy will be an NHLer. Just not with us.

I dont think he has the dynamic attributes we see in top 6 forward.

I dont think he beats the winger he has we have in our top 6, especially if we go on the trade/ufa market to improve our roster.

Sure he has smooth hands and a great finishing touches and he seems to have a good understanding of the game. But unless he kills the AHL, i don't see a clear path for him toward a regular spot with us.

Players like Heineman and Josh Anderson are also better suited for middle/bottom six role.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I hope so.

I think right now Habs brass value Heineman, Ylonen, Lias Andersson and f***ing Maillet above him.

Doubt he will be the first call up to make the team.

He has defining year in the AHL in front of him. Thats for sure.

Roy has showed me more than all those guys, although I’ve liked Heineman as well.

I’d rather see a full year of AHL for all of our higher end prospects. Let the depth guys like Ylonen and Andersson be the reserve/call up types.

Guys like Roy, Farrell, Mailloux, etc should only get serious looks in 24-25.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Top 6 is strong? We have a crappy team from top to bottom. Probably one of the worst offense in the league.

Don't fall for the marketing.

Suzuki - Caufield
Dach - Slafkovsky

Pretty awesome core to build around. We will see with Newhook and we might do better than RHP there but Roy has not shown it yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad